• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

You are invited to a July 9th Hosted BBQ at Acura of Stockton

wow, didn't think people would have such strong emotions on it. The statement came from the email off the northwest group/sacramento mailinglist, NOT by me. Maybe it was a bit harsh, but I thought of the same thing Hrant had said. Not trying to create any fire here, but i agree with Sid that it should've been better choice of words. The dealer wants to have a more accurate count of how many people are coming, so they can better serve everyone that attend.

Last edited:
whiteNSXs said:
And there is a statement "If you do not fax it in by 30 June, don't come!" Who the hell do these dealers think they are? If I have to fax in my info just so that they can have my car there to attract more business, I am out! I intended to be there just to hang out with the gang.
Steve

To make sure everyone knows, the "You Must fill out and fax in the linked form to participate. (Click here) If you do not fax it in by 30 June, don't come!" on the announcement was stricktly my wording, not the dealers, they are mine. I said that to reenforce that it would be extremely rude to not register, but then show up. Yes it is confrontational, and I could have been softer, but I am not sure the point would have been made. I am sorry if you found this offensive.

Acura of Stockton is bending over backwards to support this event, they are basically going to suspend their sales for the day to clear their display lot, and they are buying food to feed 100+ people. What they are asking for in return, is to have the participants commit to attending, so they can have an acurate count, plus some basic information so that they have an opportunity to compete for your next car purchase. If you don't want to support our area dealers, don't expect them to support us.

I hope that most of you will appreciate that people are trying to make this club something that is more interesting than standing the Macaroni Grill parking lot "just to hang out with the gang." Making that work will require some effort on your part. Hopefully asking for you name and address is not too much.

Tom Kohrs
NW Regional Rep.
NSXCA
96-T Red/Black

Hi,

May I ask the menu of the BBQ? There are certain meat that I can't eat...

thanks a bunch,

Re: PLEASE REMOVE ME FROM the July 9th Hosted BBQ at Acura of Stockton

Hrant said:
Hal, thank you for your sincere feedback. I agree with you and you articulate the pros and cons quite well.
thanks.

Hrant said:
But here is where I would have differed with your post. Rather than posting such a concern in here, why not take the initiative and call John Bissot or PM one of us and note that while you are concerned in putting personal info, that you really do not wish to be contacted for marketing purposes or solicitation - I think many of us share the same concern.
it's unclear what you're asking me to do except to "not make waves". this being a public, user-driven forum, suggests to me that it's perfectly normal to voice my opinion in this way.

having said this, why did you or someone else not take the initiative to post that due to the great response, the event needed to move to a more formal registration process and all participants would need to complete a registration form that had some optional information requests... those who completed the entire form would be eligible for xx% discounts over the next 30 days.

likewise, common marketing practices provide "opt-in"/"opt-out" fields ("would you like to be contacted re future NSX savings programs, etc?" that would have given everyone the ability to fill out the form, knowing that the business was sensitive to these issues. could i have written that on the form? sure, but if the business doesn't think of that as a routine part of their business practices, forms with handwritten notes are likely to be ignored.

Hrant said:
But then, how about also signing a waiver also that should they offer you 30% off parts with free shipping (I am strictly speculating on my own here) henceforth you would decline purchasing any goods from them as well :wink:
see, here you're just being a smart ass, intent on showing how clever you are... to me, just the opposite. but you're right, you're speculating based on your own mindset.

while i'm pleased for others who may want to purchase parts at 30% off due to participating in this event... i must have missed that element of the "register and give us your personal information to get a 30% discount with free shipping paperwork." and, as a point of reference, i prefer to support my local suppliers whenever possible - discounts or no - because it's often local business like mine that helps them *stay* in business and i'm damned if i can drive to stockton to have the air rotated in my tires.

[/QUOTE]Seriously, the registration was proposed by the dealer only a few days ago when the magnitude of the potential attendees far exceeded our initial estimates of about 20! But we agree with their intent, which is to flush those who are serious in attending given the logistics and the resources to be put to organize the event. And surely we all understand that ultimately there is a marketing/promotion element involved in here :rolleyes: [/QUOTE]
of course, registration makes **perfect sense**... they're investing time, $'s and effort to make this be a successful event. i *understand* registration.

i would be **happy to register** my attendance on a formal basis with them - heck, i'd even donate $$'s to offset their costs for bbq, etc - but i do not lightly part with my personal information as i sure as hell don't need my personal information to be added to yet another list and i'm absolutely damned if someone is going to *force* me into giving them my personal information just to hang out with nsx folks.

Steve, for the record, the dealer was NOT the party that added if you don't fax it don't come! That was done by a club officer to keep some order and predictability given the potential swing that it might create in logistics. He forgot to add a wink or smiley.[/QUOTE]
actually, he forgot common marketing practices implemented with common sense:

there are many ways of saying what needed to be said, among them: "if you would like to attend the bbq, participate in the group parking, receive a 30% discount on all parts over the next 30 days and take part in the lap, please complete this registration form (note opt fields) and submit to ;lkajla;ksdjlakjldsf by ;lkjl;kjl;kj" by xxx. Non-registered attendees will be accomodated on a first come, first served basis".

hal

I think this is getting blown way out of proportion. But I do understand some of the comments and concerns.

1) I think that the announcement of the required registration form could have been handled a little bit better. I do agree that a meeting of this size should require some kind of registration to help the organizers plan accordingly. But cut the organizers a little slack. Next time I'm sure they will do a better job in communicating.

2) The wording in the registration form was a bit blunt and could have been a worded non-adversarial-ly.

3) Collection of any personal data on a form should always be followed up with a statement that says info will not be used except for registration purposes only. As far as being contacted by the sales dept. for future sales promotions, this should be optional.

juejaimon said:
Nalesh.... :frown:

Sorry to hear about the incident.... glad you and Lisa are okay though. Hoping for a speedy recovery of your baby...

Same here!!! Sorry for your unfortunate incident but am glad both of you are okay.

OKAY...so who is entering the "CARSHOW/PARADE LAP"

Is EVERYONE? Or is this just a Spectating Event???

I'm down to enter, nothing fancy here though.....Please post some
responses, so I know how to fill this Reg Form out....

I've already faxed the reg. form. I will be attending all the activities... including the "free carwash"... :D

NSX-Tuner said:
I think this is getting blown way out of proportion. But I do understand some of the comments and concerns.

1) I think that the announcement of the required registration form could have been handled a little bit better. I do agree that a meeting of this size should require some kind of registration to help the organizers plan accordingly. But cut the organizers a little slack. Next time I'm sure they will do a better job in communicating.

2) The wording in the registration form was a bit blunt and could have been a worded non-adversarial-ly.

3) Collection of any personal data on a form should always be followed up with a statement that says info will not be used except for registration purposes only. As far as being contacted by the sales dept. for future sales promotions, this should be optional.
<sigh>
agree.

Count me out of the formal event. Not because of the tone of any of the prior posts but rather because I decline to give out personally identifiable information without clear restrictions on its subsequent use.

I may however show up as a member of the public with the M3. Gotta shake down the new forged pistons... :cool:

So based upon some of the prior posts, the list now looks like this:

1. Hrant - 2
2. Beerdog - 2
3. juejaimon
4. rowr -2
5. D'Ecosse
6. ryan1926 - 2
7. Drunkinfoolio
8. SMGNSX
9. NSX-Tuner
10. mickeylex - 2
11. NorCalwhite - 2
12. smooth
13. Litespeeds
14. NSXVURGIN
15. Hiroshima (J)
16. racerex
17. NMYMIRR
18. Vytas
19. randomharmony
20. Terpak
21. Don W.
22. 1UFO2C
23. Luu
24. RonNRaiders
25. Jeff F
26. Dave/Molly
27. ryans
28. NSXer119
29. Allen S.
30. Bobolinski - 2
31. NSFRBlK
32. nsxclassact
33. Ashik - 2
34. Octan3
35. Arlorey - 2
36. Ben
37. Morris
38. Nastro
39. RAVN NSX
40. Mark & Sandy aka smhrednsx91 -2
41. MikeC_587
42. Tom Kohrs & Siew Pheng Tung - 2
43. LitoG
44. jbum and girlfriend - 2
45. Silver-Streak (Ariel)
46. AMGNSX (Ariel+Wifie?)
47. I Grok NSX - 2 (50/50 possibility of going)
48. AlwaysRussian
49. Spartan 2-3 (2)
50. (NSX REY) - 2

deleted: WhiteNSXs, QueenLives, MikeH, Dinan M3, NSXVurgin (duplicate entry)

Last edited:
tk said:
To make sure everyone knows, the "You Must fill out and fax in the linked form to participate. (Click here) If you do not fax it in by 30 June, don't come!" on the announcement was stricktly my wording, not the dealers, they are mine. I said that to reenforce that it would be extremely rude to not register, but then show up. Yes it is confrontational, and I could have been softer, but I am not sure the point would have been made. I am sorry if you found this offensive.

Acura of Stockton is bending over backwards to support this event, they are basically going to suspend their sales for the day to clear their display lot, and they are buying food to feed 100+ people. What they are asking for in return, is to have the participants commit to attending, so they can have an acurate count, plus some basic information so that they have an opportunity to compete for your next car purchase. If you don't want to support our area dealers, don't expect them to support us.

I hope that most of you will appreciate that people are trying to make this club something that is more interesting than standing the Macaroni Grill parking lot "just to hang out with the gang." Making that work will require some effort on your part. Hopefully asking for you name and address is not too much.

Tom Kohrs
NW Regional Rep.
NSXCA
96-T Red/Black
tom,
thanks for your feedback. here's mine:

if you feel that being confrontational is an effective means of conveying the importance of registering for the event... um, good luck with that approach.

* if what you're saying is the dealership deserves the courtesy of our pre-event registration so they know how to prepare, yup, i agree with that, too.

if what you're saying is that for each "club event" we want to participate in, we'll be required to:

* provide our personal information to the hosts in order so we may bring our cars to then participate in an open event

and then...

* they'll contact us to sell us something (hey, we're not talking hooters here, are we, cause if we are, i'll give 'em my home phone)

* listen to their marketing/sales pitch

i strongly disagree, because:

* i view my personal information as private, not "some effort" (you understand the difference between personal information and "effort", don't you?)

* i very much enjoyed the hooters gathering, seeing all the cars/owners there - it was great! i believe the club meetings should be "no strings attached", as they always have been, macaroni grill, hooters or not.

i can say without hesitation that *any* dealership/business that goes to the trouble of (actually) hosting (rather than just serving us meals/services like hooters) such an event would be among my contenders to earn my business.

if any of you are wondering *why* i would continue to flame on about this after i agreed with the earlier post about how this has gotten a bit out of hand... i hadn't completely read the post i'm responding to now: the inference that i, you, we have to trade our personal information to attend an nsx gathering with our cars makes me *vomit*.

(btw, the nitwits at Performance Bike in campbell actually wouldn't sell me bicycle tire tubes last week without giving them my name and phone number... so i left ("hey, what's the big deal, it's just so we know who you are?

HUH? IT'S A BICYCLE TUBE.

IT'S A CAR CLUB MEETING!

and now this. a-mazing. sad, but amazing.

btw, did i miss the note update that said the REQUIREMENT to complete the personal information was now optional?

Aside from the privacy issues and marketing tactics, does anyone know what the "parade" route is? Also has anyone considered the time required for 50 vehicles to leave the parking lot for a "20 minute" "parade" and then re-enter at the end of the parade? Is the "parade" optional? Does the city of Stockton have other events scheduled for July 9, 2005?

Just curious.

Nalesh... I'm sorry to hear about the incident you were involved in last weekend. I am very glad to hear that both you and Lisa (more so for Lisa :biggrin: ) were not harmed by this idiot. Be sure to get everything in writing and impress upon the insurance company that the NSX is not like every other car out there.

Good luck and if I can help in anyway, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Mike

Can someone please explain why the statement below is on the registration form?

NSX owners who do not wish to enter the carshow or participate in the “parade lap” are welcome to attend, secured “off-site” parking and shuttle service will be provided.

The reason why I attend the monthly meetings is to hang out with fellow NSX owners. Isn't the reason why we have a monthly meet, is to catch up with old friends and meet new ones? If I cannot park in the same lot with those who enter the carshow and/or particpate in the parade lap, then I might have to wait until August to see my friends :frown:

Mike

Folks, I thought a little humor in my last post would have resolved this issue, but frankly I am saddened by the tone of the few posts. I will say this once and hopefully you will all calm down and settle and generously go back and edit/delete the unnecessary banter. I will do the same.

My comments are not addressed to anyone in particular, but if there is a sentiment, hopefully it will put it to rest. First and foremost, no one is pulling the rug under any one of you or any prior promise to you; we have never engaged in arbitrary and capricous program changes nor is this playing a bate and switch game. I for one would be all over the issue if that was the case, I should know.

If you have organized any events for such club meets or outings, you will immdeiately appreciate without further arguments or comments the following. Please no responses are needed.

1. This event has gotten much bigger than initially anticipated thanks to your enthusiasm. And that is what we are continuously aspiring to do, come with events, ideas to get many of you to come out and socialize, support vendors, and promote the visibility of the NSX and the NSXCA.

2. Since there is no registration fee, it takes time to flush whether all those who said they will come will indeed or not. You will be surprised how many flake out when there is no money to lose.

3. When the number hits a critical mass, other organizational issues come into the picture when compared to say a dozen attending an event. Adam Smith figured that many moons ago .......

4. There is no such thing as free lunch, and Milton Friedman came up with that one not so many moons ago ...... you figure that one.

5. We are all doing our best to make this a pleasant event with the limited resources, and if you will, our lack of occasional professional experience in marketing or your area of expertise; even good humor seems to fail buying us some time! If you can do better, please volunteer and do so, but don't keep whinning or flaming the moment something goes against your liking. Use the PM when it concerns you deeply and let's see if we can resolve it.

6. The parking lot can accommodate only so many vehicles - Shane thinks about 40, and 50 would be really maxed; the dealer thinks more like 30-35, this even if they shut the sales traffic down just for us, and move some of their cars to another lot. So the priority goes to those who are willing to make a commitment to the dealer with their attendance/registration info in return he wants to showcase the cars to the public and give gifts and goodies for the commitment. The rest of you who still want to enjoy the event are all welcomed and can park in the same dealership IFF there is still space. If not, the dealership is offering free secured parking with free shuttle back/forth to his dealership. What else do you want? That he moves all his inventory! It's a dealership after all and he is looking to generate foot traffic!

7. This is a voluntary participation from your end. If you find that the organizers stepped too far for your comfort, all you have to do is withdraw your participation without accusing anyone of inetntional wrong doing. Our motives are all for your collective benefit.

8. In fact, if you cool your jets long enough, you may realize that we appreciate the concerns raised by some, and we are already working with the dealership to make the info (a) secured; (b) not released without prior consent option checked (I want to see Dinan M3's SC-Zinardi again ... LOL!); and (c) also offer the option if you want to be contacted for marketing promotions.

So, please let's have some patience and allow common sense to rule, and a little appreciation along the ways would be nice as well :wink:

tk said:

Tom Kohrs
NW Regional Rep.
NSXCA
96-T Red/Black
Seriously, this is not the first time I have attended dealer sponsored club meets but it is the first time that a dealer is asking these personal info. I've been to Niello(?), Concord, Stevens Creek, and a Northeast dealer's event. I just showed up as part of the car club. People have their name/handle tags on and that's it. I think the RSVP that we have done is a perfectly appropriate and polite way to inform them how many cars and people from the club will be there so that they can plan ahead. Something like " Dear Mr. Manager, thank you so much for hosting our club event. We have confirmed attendance of 50 cars and 100 people. Looking forward to seeing you and your crews and thanks again for your tremendous effort and generosity" will be just fine for event like that. I DO think that it is too much to ask for our names, addresses and contact info especially the info will be used for commercial gain. This is just like those "free" financial seminar luncheon thing with the intention to make more sales. So it is not just the wording of "don't come" that bothers me but the commercial with secondary gain nature of the event. What also bugs me is that if I don't want to give that info, I will not be able to park my car with the gang. Just this part defeats the entire purpose of a club gathering.
My understanding of the event was that this dealer graciously hosts our club meet with food and on site parking and of course they will get 50 NSX in the parking lot for much higher traffic and publicity for them. I was in for a no pressure gathering with my NSX buddies. I could not care less if there are free stuffs, food or prizes. I was not expecting a car show, parade lap, and revealing of my personal info. My car is a daily driver and it is always dirty. The last thing I want it to do is entering a "car show" after driving a hundred miles.
Steve

Last edited:
I like to point out that after the Hooters event, it was great to see most people enjoyed it. More important, part of me was relieved to see things came out without any hitch, especially on the drive. I hope people can understand that things, anything in life can easily go wrong, and for people with a common interest, a passion for car and driving, and come together, it’s an experience I treasure every time.

I hope people can lighten up a little bit, this is a great event for our club. Acura of Stockton is doing a great thing for us, and they are not really asking anything in return except for an accurate count of how many people are coming, so they can prepare their best for EVERYONE. This was really their intend for RSVP.

On the privacy issue, I can understand that people can get a little sensitive on giving out information, but they are not asking for SS# or Drivers license #, and it’s not like they are checking for accuracy on the form.

I really hope we can make this one of the best event in the region, and show our support for the host. I look forward seeing everyone’s NSX out there, and that’s including Queen, Doc, #009, Mike.

queenlives said:
and then...

* they'll contact us to sell us something (hey, we're not talking hooters here, are we, cause if we are, i'll give 'em my home phone)
Bad, Hal! CELL PHONE!!! CELL PHONE!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Steve

Thanks to everyone for your concerns and support about my incident on Saturday. Lisa and I are doing ok. More to come on the car once I settle with the insurance companies.

Oh yeah, I'll send in my registration form on Tuesday. I'm coming the event with or without my NSX, but I'll be there. Where do I sign? :biggrin:

Hrant said:
Folks, I thought a little humor in my last post would have resolved this issue, but frankly I am saddened by the tone of the few posts. I will say this once and hopefully you will all calm down and settle and generously go back and edit/delete the unnecessary banter. I will do the same.

My comments are not addressed to anyone in particular, but if there is a sentiment, hopefully it will put it to rest. First and foremost, no one is pulling the rug under any one of you or any prior promise to you; we have never engaged in arbitrary and capricous program changes nor is this playing a bate and switch game. I for one would be all over the issue if that was the case, I should know.

If you have organized any events for such club meets or outings, you will immdeiately appreciate without further arguments or comments the following. Please no responses are needed.

1. This event has gotten much bigger than initially anticipated thanks to your enthusiasm. And that is what we are continuously aspiring to do, come with events, ideas to get many of you to come out and socialize, support vendors, and promote the visibility of the NSX and the NSXCA.

2. Since there is no registration fee, it takes time to flush whether all those who said they will come will indeed or not. You will be surprised how many flake out when there is no money to lose.

3. When the number hits a critical mass, other organizational issues come into the picture when compared to say a dozen attending an event. Adam Smith figured that many moons ago .......

4. There is no such thing as free lunch, and Milton Friedman came up with that one not so many moons ago ...... you figure that one.

5. We are all doing our best to make this a pleasant event with the limited resources, and if you will, our lack of occasional professional experience in marketing or your area of expertise; even good humor seems to fail buying us some time! If you can do better, please volunteer and do so, but don't keep whinning or flaming the moment something goes against your liking. Use the PM when it concerns you deeply and let's see if we can resolve it.

6. The parking lot can accommodate only so many vehicles - Shane thinks about 40, and 50 would be really maxed; the dealer thinks more like 30-35, this even if they shut the sales traffic down just for us, and move some of their cars to another lot. So the priority goes to those who are willing to make a commitment to the dealer with their attendance/registration info in return he wants to showcase the cars to the public and give gifts and goodies for the commitment. The rest of you who still want to enjoy the event are all welcomed and can park in the same dealership IFF there is still space. If not, the dealership is offering free secured parking with free shuttle back/forth to his dealership. What else do you want? That he moves all his inventory! It's a dealership after all and he is looking to generate foot traffic!

7. This is a voluntary participation from your end. If you find that the organizers stepped too far for your comfort, all you have to do is withdraw your participation without accusing anyone of inetntional wrong doing. Our motives are all for your collective benefit.

8. In fact, if you cool your jets long enough, you may realize that we appreciate the concerns raised by some, and we are already working with the dealership to make the info (a) secured; (b) not released without prior consent option checked (I want to see Dinan M3's SC-Zinardi again ... LOL!); and (c) also offer the option if you want to be contacted for marketing promotions.

So, please let's have some patience and allow common sense to rule, and a little appreciation along the ways would be nice as well :wink:

a couple of thoughts:

* remember: no good deed goes unpunished!

* all you - or anyone else associated with the privacy info misfire - had to do was say, "hey, that's not what i was thinking, but i see your point and we'll see if we can't update the form <one of you wrote the form, you can edit it, no?> to address your concerns" and the problem (from my perspective) has gone a long way to being resolved.

*my suggestion for the next time an event begins to take on these kinds of proportions is to say, "hey, our hands are getting full, anyone here wanna help with...?". my sense is you'll have a generous response; if not, consider it the modern version of the Little Red Hen and let that influence your activities in the future.

* i think it's **wonderful** that so many nsx owners are coming "out of the woodwork" and this renewing of interest in gathering speaks volumes about the new sites where the meetings are being held. clearly, many previously-uninvolved owners who read this forum (count me among them) are ready to drive long distances to gather in places besides macaroni grill just to enjoy hanging out with other nsx's and their owners. (btw, macaroni grill food beats hooters food, hands down)

* i think it's great/important for you/me/others to air our opinions in public on *any* topic. but "here's my opinion, please don't respond or if you do, please respond to me in private" given the issue at hand is as sensitive as privacy - which is what *my issue* with this event is, just won't fly with me (although you're weldome to respond in private if you like). this reminds me of the wheel thread last week where a particular vendor was banned from race tracks. when i posted a comment asking for feedback, the vp pm'd me with a form statement asking me to call him directly. uh, sure, i'll sweep it under the rug 'cause it's convenient for you rather than you tell the community the real story and what you're doing about it. btw, you are quite welcome to PM me anytime you like; i will respond appropriately.

finally, i resent anyone telling me that if i/we don't want to vomit up my/our personal and private information to a commercial enterprise so that we may attend a routine and informal nsx owners meeting, i can go somewhere else.

NEWSFLASH: WE BROKE THE CODE ON THAT!

what i think happened here is that a good idea led to a tidal wave of interest, and somebody - either nsxca members or the dealership (i'm a sales professional, i GET how this happens) - said, "hey, let's make something for ourselves out of this, too".

i GET there are no free lunches, not a problem from my perspective. if you remember correctly, lunches at macaroni grill weren't free either, but they didn't ask for my name, home phone, address and emai to park my car and eat there. in this case, i'm paying for gas, driving 150 miles, using ~4-6 hrs of my time and, finally, will have my car detailed when i return home, so i'm more than willing and able to pay for my meal, too.

i look forward to seeing an "opt in/opt out" registration document.

oh, and... in case someone's **really** thinking of having an organized parade (as opposed to a "head 'em up, move 'em out" drive through stockton <which may be just fine, thank you very much>) *somebody* may want to check with the city to see if a permit is required (like it is in ~90% of the other municipalities in california for organized events like this).

dang, one more thought: random, i appreciate that nobody's asking for my ss# (a good thing) - i don't want/need to end up on more lists or taking more marketing/sales calls. could i give them bogus info on the form? sure, but isn't that kinda stooopid - why not just make that info optional and avoid playing games.

i'm done, all. (i know, i know - you're thinking -PHEW, he's talked himself to sleep...;)

hal

queenlives said:
i GET there are no free lunches, not a problem from my perspective.
There are free lunches. I hosted an NSX club meet on my nickel at the San Jose Country Club which was FAR from free to me (BTW, NorCalWhite, didn't I meet you and your SO there?). I also picked up the tab at one of the club lunches when none of the regulars showed up so that the newbs (who are now regulars) wouldn't get a bad impression. I also donated over $1K worth of stuff to NSXPO '03. But I don't recall having required anyone to submit personally identifying information for marketing purposes... If there remains a requirement to submit personally identifying information (whether or not it is purported to remain confidential) then I'm not willing to provide it. Period.

Last edited:
Back