• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

You know you own an NSX when...

When you don't even feel bad about dropping $3000 on wheels/tires, because you "got a good deal".

When a G-note in carbon shows up and you have zero buyers remorse.

When the thought of selling the SFWD drag car to affordably turbo your NSX crosses your mind.

When you voluntarily run to the grocery store for the few things the wife needs for dinner (whereas before you'd have not wanted to go)

When you are getting a wedgie from sitting on the fence as the value of keeping your rare car stock meets the urge to mod.
When it feels like Christmas or the icecream man is here every time the Fedex or UPS truck stops in front of your house to deliver parts.
When you search through all of the automobile mags at the grocery store for NSX articles or ads.

When you're okay with asking your long-lost cousin to agree to take care of the legal matters regarding purchasing, then drafting a power of attorney to authorize the purchase, sight unseen, from halfway around the world, store it in an A+ storage facility w/ battery tender for 3 months until your return, fly to the other side of the US to retrieve it from said storage facility, then proceed to drive it back to the other side of the US?

... Okay, guess that's just me.

<-- Insane.

when you refuse to sign it up for the first ever company-wide "cruise" (a car show from 11am - 1:30pm in the parking lot) no matter how proud and happy your are as an owner. Even though it cost you less than the Corvettes, Camaros, and special edition Mustangs that are sure to appear, the last thing you want to do is look too "in the money" from that "strange exotic supercar-looking not-a-Corvette-is-it-a-Ferrari" to fellow co-workers and managers during this current economic climate with layoffs/downsizings every 24 months.

Maybe it's just me but I never understood people not driving their nice car to work because they care what their coworkers might think.

Agreed. Most of my co-workers can kick rocks as far as I'm concerned.

If it works for you, that's awesome. To me it’s not worry over what any coworkers think at all, it’s more how or whether certain personal information about you can actually hurt you at work. It’d be different if I worked at Car & Driver, but maybe I’ve been in a corporation way too long and lived thru a few too many downsizings and heard too many comments by decision-makers and regular co-workers about “oh so-and-so will be OK, he’s young and doesn’t have a family to feed or mortgage to worry about yet,” if you get my drift. I’ve just found it best to limit knowledge of personal info to just the basics at work. And nothing wrong with having a nice car, but an NSX is a bit different. Any car I'd take to a C&C is maybe not one I need to unintentionally flaunt at work. Works for me...If you’re working somewhere where that doesn’t matter at all, then all the more power to ya, lucky guy!

Back on track: you know you own an NSX when at the end of the month when your penfed payment is due, it’s a payment that you really don’t mind for once. (I’ve said that before but had to get off the possible threadjack!)

TGIF, baby

Good points. Gov't contracting is not an exempt environment from what you speak of. I'm quite aware.

Though I think I still don't care all too much. (Not to say that you aren't right.)

... You know you own an NSX when you can mentally "cost-justify" $400 floor mats. (I still don't know why those KARO mats are soo appealing to me.)

when the engine is making a weird noise and you spend 4000 to swap everything and find out its a loose fender bolt and think to yourself well they needed to be replaced away at some point.

when you refuse to sign it up for the first ever company-wide "cruise" (a car show from 11am - 1:30pm in the parking lot) no matter how proud and happy your are as an owner. Even though it cost you less than the corvettes, camaros, and special edition mustangs that are sure to appear, the last thing you want to do is look too "in the money" from that "strange exotic supercar-looking not-a-corvette-is-it-a-ferrari" to fellow co-workers and managers during this current economic climate with layoffs/downsizings every 24 months.
agreed!

Maybe it's just me but I never understood people not driving their nice car to work because they care what their coworkers might think.

I drive my car to work all the time. If I had a parking deck I would drive it every day. I actually drive it everyday right now because my Civic is down.

You know you own an NSX when you daily drive the NSX because of a Civic project car.

When you feel you're in a more exclusive and prized club than Porsche and Ferrari drivers.

At the last minute I elected to take mine to the work "cruise"/show. We've been all working long unpaid hours (new corporate policy to not pay the first 8 hours of "casual overtime") that ate up my entire summer, and I decided at the last minute to enroll into the show. Not only did I become filled with a healthy dose of "I suddenly don't care what people think" after donating my virtually my entire summer to my employer, but I suddenly felt a desire to try to make a few contacts at work for networking if not to hopefully make 9-5 life a bit more interesting by meeting a few new carheads at the corporate office; a secluded area of our lot far from the building is often filled with a Viper, a GT3, a few 911's & caymans, and more than a few mustangs, bitchin' camaros, E46 M3's, vettes/Z06's, a GTR, etc. I got to befriend a fellow who ground-up restored a Pantera (it was white!) and who has a brother in law with a 12k mile red 1991 NSX. The Pantera was the clear "hit" of the show in my mind. Will be real nice to meet up with those two here soon on a Saturday. You know you own an NSX when an owner of an immaculately clean white Pantera is asking around to meet you while you're looking to meet him. I'll post a few pix later. Wonderfully beautiful Pantera.

whenever you pass a building you stare at the windows just to see the reflection of your NSX...

Yesssssss

- - - Updated - - -

Your friends wife calls you stupid for spending that much on a 93, then she calls back to apologize bc everyone else told her she's stupid for thinking it's stupid to spend that much on a nsx

when the engine is making a weird noise and you spend 4000 to swap everything and find out its a loose fender bolt and think to yourself well they needed to be replaced away at some point.

Not on an NSX BUT I pulled a V-8 for a noise that I later found to be an exhaust gasket...but did a valve job ANYWAY.

I got to befriend a fellow who ground-up restored a Pantera (it was white!) and who has a brother in law with a 12k mile red 1991 NSX. The Pantera was the clear "hit" of the show in my mind. Will be real nice to meet up with those two here soon on a Saturday. You know you own an NSX when an owner of an immaculately clean white Pantera is asking around to meet you while you're looking to meet him. I'll post a few pix later. Wonderfully beautiful Pantera.

There are quite a few Pantera/NSX owners.
I understand the car/work relationship but it sounds like you found a happy compromise.
Post a picture of your NSX next to your (new) Buddy's Pantera

Last edited:
Probably has been here already:

When you realize you could have bought a second NSX if you got one dollar/euro for each "Oh, a Honda? Looks like a Ferrari" comment ...

At least with a red NSX :D

Bernhard

When you're pulling into your garage while the garage door is still opening, and after pulling in, thinking to yourself, "That was close; better be careful of the antenna!"
I know with the antenna extended, it's still shorter than a SUV, but since the car is so low, I always think I can get under anything… if the antenna is retracted. :)

I think I was particularly sensitive to this since last week, my coworker backed up our fork lift into our roll up door when the door wasn't up all the way. :(

I put a little piece of blue tape 46 inches up from the ground on the side of my garage so I know when it's safe to drive under the door as it's opening. :)

Back