Z06 takes a bite of the forbidden fruit..

This is the C5 Z06?

Nice ride but you must be SMOKING CRACK if you think the interior is nicer than anything built in the last 40 years. Its probably dead last, maybe second only to a Aveo in terms of overall quality and comfort. The new Z06 made huge leaps but still is by no means "refined".

Did the NSX you drove have 500,000 miles on it? Creaks and rattles? Not in any NSX I have ever owned, or ridden in.

This is the C5 Z06?

Nice ride but you must be SMOKING CRACK if you think the interior is nicer than anything built in the last 40 years. Its probably dead last, maybe second only to a Aveo in terms of overall quality and comfort. The new Z06 made huge leaps but still is by no means "refined".

Did the NSX you drove have 500,000 miles on it? Creaks and rattles? Not in any NSX I have ever owned, or ridden in.

Nope, no crack here - I don't think it's too far fetched to think an interior from 2004 would feel newer than an interior from 1991. Do you have a C5 Z06? To compare the interior in one to an Aveo is more worthy of the "smoking crack" title. My girlfriend has a G37S and agrees that the interior doesn't *look* as nice as hers, but feels more comfortable and feels more solid.

Plus, in the NSX, I couldn't even see the LCD in sunlight. If you want to talk "caviar and wine" refinement, I don't know which takes it in that regard - but for daily driveability and long-drive comfort, and usability, the C5 Z06 takes the nod from me. Both are great - I just think the C5 2004 is more comfortable and newer/useable than a 17 year old interior. Durability on the C5 is dubious though, but the NSX's has held up fine.

The NSX I drove had 50k miles on it. The chassis was solid, but the occassional rattle from bumps were there. I don't know the car well enough to say where it came from though, but it wasn't a big deal. I think the rattle came from suspension parts though, not the interior.

Again it just proves the point that all the specs,numbers,parameters,materials mean little or alot to some but in the end you have to drive a car before buying.Amazing how two people can have a completely different experience with the same machine.The nsx is in the end if nothing else is a balanced package.

Last edited:
Nope, no crack here - I don't think it's too far fetched to think an interior from 2004 would feel newer than an interior from 1991. Do you have a C5 Z06? To compare the interior in one to an Aveo is more worthy of the "smoking crack" title. My girlfriend has a G37S and agrees that the interior doesn't *look* as nice as hers, but feels more comfortable and feels more solid.

Plus, in the NSX, I couldn't even see the LCD in sunlight. If you want to talk "caviar and wine" refinement, I don't know which takes it in that regard - but for daily driveability and long-drive comfort, and usability, the C5 Z06 takes the nod from me. Both are great - I just think the C5 2004 is more comfortable and newer/useable than a 17 year old interior. Durability on the C5 is dubious though, but the NSX's has held up fine.

The NSX I drove had 50k miles on it. The chassis was solid, but the occassional rattle from bumps were there. I don't know the car well enough to say where it came from though, but it wasn't a big deal. I think the rattle came from suspension parts though, not the interior.

I have about 5000 miles track and street in a C5 Z06. I think the Aveo interior is WAY nicer! No kidding. The Z06 seats are about 1" thick and you can bend them almost in half.

Im not sure anyone on this board will agree that a GM interior from ANY year is nicer than a 91 NSX.

And liked it!

As for myself? I am paying off what is left on the Z06 so I can sell it. I will be in a 91-93 NSX before the end of the year.

PS: Just as a comparison - when I got back into the Z06 after the spirited drives in the NSX, the Z06 *shot* forward due to the quicker grippier clutch and the low end toque - scared myself there. Then I noticed how numb the steering and chassis felt - it was like I was sculpting clay with mittens on.

Oh lordy, what has the NSX done to me?? :( Yawwn - thanks a million - you have changed my life. :)

At this point everyone in the room stands up and claps as if its an AA meeting! (note: never been to an AA meeting, only seen them on tv)
bravo.. bravo

You also have to remember, personal preference plays a lot into the car. I know some vette folks that wouldn't touch an NSX with a 10 foot pole. But to each their own. I like vette's. But would I own one over an NSX? Nope. Has nothing to do with hp, interior, or handling, I just like the NSX better. Its a sexier overall package imo.

"The nsx feels more like putting on a light pair of track shoes."
I agree! My G is much heavier, more work to drive...and I miss the comfortable interior of the NSX...simple, but functional for people over 5'10

Just you mentioning the fact the NSX held up so well for a 17 year car is a testament to how well it is built. I wonder how a comparison between a '91 NSX and a '91 Vette would come out? Don't get me wrong. I like Corvettes, the NSX however is something truly special. Another thing I can say about the NSX over a Corvette is its unmistakable style and uniqueness. I drive about 20 miles round trip to and from work every day and see my fair share of Vettes on the road almost every day, new and old. I have yet to see one NSX on the road in the past 6 months. Every time I drive my '91, I don't hear a single rattle anywhere. Can the same be said for a '91 Vette? :rolleyes:

John
'91 Red/Ivory

I enjoyed your comparison of the 2, as the former owner of a 2000 C5 convertible (not a Z06), I found myself agreeing with you on a number of points (all of which I've written about many times previously in response to other threads). The torque is indeed addictive, pushing the gas puts a big smile on your face. The seats in the C5 are comfortable, but the best feature on them was that when you took out the key, they automatically went all the way back on the rails, and when you put the key back in the ignition, the seat would move back to your "position". Other that that feature, the seats in the NSX are much more comfortable. I did love the HUD on the vette, and would love to have it in my NSX, but not so much that I'd put one of the after market units in the car. The quality of the interior of the vette, well, it's just like a Malibu, plain and simple. My radio buttons were worn out from pushing the buttons. When my lease was up after 39 months, I gladly turned the car in, and never looked back. After the 3 years was up on the NSX, I couldn't give it up, first I extended the lease by 6 months, and then I bought it off the lease. Now, 2 years later the NSX is the car that I have owned the longest, 6 years in total, and I enjoy it today, just as much as the day I picked it up. I have 40,000 trouble free miles on it, and at the major service that I had done last week (thank you Larry B), he told me that I could probably expect to get another 40,000 miles from my brakes, and that the car looked great. I did have him install the "short shifter", not that it needed it, but hey, I guess the mod bug finally hit me (J/K). I love the excitement of getting a "new toy" every few years, which is why I've always leased my "fun car", but the only cars that I crave currently, I just can't "rationalize" the price. I make a good living, my daughter is currently in Law School (approximate cost of 65k per year for 3 years) so keeping a 6 year old Honda is preferable to buying a 6 year old "Italian" car. The Porsche's are just too common, the M3 looks like every other 3 series, and the NSX still "does it" for me. Oh, and as for the gas mileage, the vette is really quite good (as you've said), I could get close to 30mpg in 6th gear, but in my NSX I've gotten just under 29 mpg and manhy more smiles per gallon. I'm glad that in your conclusion you realize that you'll be coming over to the "bright side", maybe you can even get a more recent "vintage" and enjoy the tremendous increase in engine size, horsepower, and the extra gear, along with some of the other "upgrades".
Now, I've gone on for a lot longer than I have ever done before, I sure hope that this "takes" as there is no way I'm going to rewrite it!:biggrin:

This is the C5 Z06?

+1

I'm sorry but the ZO6 interior is extremely disappointing for a car of that caliber. Even hard-core Vette guys have no hesitation in saying this and pointing out that the C6 interior is inferior to the C5. And it might not squeak and/or rattle now but wait a year or two...:rolleyes:

The NSX interior might be simplistic and dated but it doesn't have any negatives. It's classy and gets the job done. It seems far from cheap unlike the ZO6.

Personally, I think all this ZO6 and even C6 ZR-1 talk here on Prime is going to die down in light of the GT-R. It's faster than both of those cars for the same price and it's Japanese. The ZO6 ruled the road for a few years as the world's best performance value but it has now been replaced.

YOUR CRAZY if you think the C5 Z06 interior is better than the NSX's. I was in the market for both and the seats in the Z06 are horrible, the radio is the cheap generic design in every single other chevy,the same can be said for the climate control unit, the buttons on the dash fades easy from just being used, the way the button clicks when you push it in is cheap, the knobs are flimsy, the plastics are pure crap.

Your argument about the C5's interior being 14 years newer means it is better, your right that it might have more toys, but that just proves that the Americans was 15 years behind in interior ergonomics, and fit and finish. The NSX was almost a no expense spared when they designed it. IT STILL looks better than most dash that is out today and have more softer touch materials and makes less squeeks, rattles, and the buttons and knobs feels solid as hell with soft to the touch dash, door, transmission tunnel everything.

The fact the a almost 20 year old interior have held up so well in so many other cars shows that the NSX's interior is light years away from the C5's in terms of design, material and engineering. How many corvettes have those fading button problems, along with creaking? Now look at the age difference and tell me which one is better screwed together to better material. Just being a interior have more toys does mean it a better interior esp if the toys are taken straight from many other chevy products. That my friend is called being cost effective.

Well, just as I thought - I can sing praises about the NSX but people will still jump all over me for one statement of holding an opinion on the interior of the sports cars. Yikes.

I like the C5 z06 interior. Its not as snug and form fitting an the NSX's, but it works well, feels nice and solid (the seats are real comfy - not supportive, but comfy), and through the 50k miles I have on the car, it's held up well. Will it hold up as well after 17 years? Probably not, but who knows.

Anyways, what I hold is an opinion. The qualitative feel of the NSX, and my preference for the way it drives, is also an opinion, as is my statement that the C5 z06 is a slightly more usable interior than a 1991 nsx.

Go ahead and continue to try and prove an opinion wrong - it's probably a good use of your time. ;)

Last edited:
Well, just as I thought - I can sing praises about the NSX but people will still jump all over me for one statement of holding an opinion on the interior of the sports cars. Yikes.

I like the C5 z06 interior. Its not as snug and form fitting an the NSX's, but it works well, feels nice and solid (the seats are real comfy - not supportive, but comfy), and through the 50k miles I have on the car, it's held up well. Will it hold up as well after 17 years? Probably not, but who knows - but go ahead and pick ath the knobs or leather stitching, but that is the last thing I look for in a sports car. If the interior had some wood trim glued to it and had diamonds studded in the knobs and buttons, would it add refinement? I doubt it.

Anyways, what I hold is an opinion. The qualitative feel of the NSX, and my preference for the way it drives, is also an opinion, as is my statement that the C5 z06 is a slightly more usable interior than a 1991 nsx.

Go ahead and continue to try and prove an opinion wrong - it's probably a good use of your time. ;)

I thoroughly enjoyed your post.

Don't worry about those who are objecting to your opinion about the interior. You can't please everyone.

I don't feel that you attacked our beloved NSX. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I thoroughly enjoyed your post.

Don't worry about those who are objecting to your opinion about the interior. You can't please everyone.

I don't feel that you attacked our beloved NSX. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Thanks. I've loved the corvettes since I was a kid, and the Z06 was my dream car since I learned of it in 2001. I am lucky to be someone who can say they own their dream car - but I am willing (and planning) to throw that all away for the NSX. :)

I like the C5 z06 interior. Its not as snug and form fitting an the NSX's, but it works well, feels nice and solid (the seats are real comfy - not supportive, but comfy), and through the 50k miles I have on the car, it's held up well. Will it hold up as well after 17 years? Probably not, but who knows - but go ahead and pick ath the knobs or leather stitching, but that is the last thing I look for in a sports car. If the interior had some wood trim glued to it and had diamonds studded in the knobs and buttons, would it add refinement? I doubt it.

I actually didn't notice the review was based on a C5 ZO6...:redface: The C5 interior is better than the C6 by all accounts but still nothing to write home about IMO.

BTW, I like my performance car seats to be more supportive than confortable. :wink:

I like the C5 z06 interior. Its not as snug and form fitting an the NSX's, but it works well, feels nice and solid (the seats are real comfy - not supportive, but comfy), and through the 50k miles I have on the car, it's held up well. Will it hold up as well after 17 years? Probably not, but who knows.

I thank you for your honest and open minded opinion on the NSX and I do look forward to seeing you at the owners forum. Remember I also love the Z06, and I do not discriminate against any car. If it wasn't for the interior on that car, I would've bought a Z06 instead of the NSX, I was so blown away by the interior of the NSX because in photos it really does look kind of dated like a acura legend. But once you actually take the time to take it all in, and touch all the surfaces and feel the quality of it, its very impressive especially if you compare it to any car's interior from 91. I would even comfortable bet $100 that you cannot find a better looking interior that doesn't look ridiculous and scream 80's like the NSX's. I mean even almost 20 years later it still feels like a interior you would find in a luxury car in the early 2000's. Esp if you see the new 02+ interiors with the silver trim white stitching on the leather and color matching interior, the car looks indeed very up to date, so the fundamentals are all there.

As I repeat, I don't know how familiar you are with GM products such a Denali, or Escalade, or any other GM trucks, the Vettes general make up is all taken from those trucks. I do like the HUD, and the cluster it self is nice, but the seats are too flat, and flimsy and everything on it just feels cheap. I see a lot of people saying that they prefer the C5 over a C6's interior, but I feel the C6's interior is light years away from the C5 because it has a lot of original parts thats made just for the C6 and I like the matted finish on the hard plastics more than the plastics on on the C5, but we really are just arguing about opinions here. So I just wanted to point out my 2 cents.

Great comparison really ,I have a lt4 c4 Ive had for years and I have a buddy who recently traded his 04 z06 for a 06 c6 zo6 and the performance for the money leans to the vette but the build quality is the nsx . I have a 91 nsx and most of the parts are reasonable compared to the vette .The reason my buddy traded is his abs module went out and it was $1400.00 and he decided to upgrade to the 66,000 dollar 505 horse vette. anyone who thinks a NSX is expensive to fix hasnt bought parts for a vette. And boy do people stare at the nsx , my kid is always saying " why are people staring" that doesnt happen in the vette. Today I did get upstaged good though when I pulled up to a crowd gathered around a 97 skyline on a backroads shop in dallas no one even noticed my car. Of course that was the first skyline ive seen in person too

I have had a brand new 2004 C5 vette...A 99 rt10 Viper and a 2003 SRT10 Viper and now a 91 supercharged NSX...

The vettes or Vipers dont come close to the driving feel of the NSX..I was a non beleaver till I drove an NSX..Talk about confidence..

BTW.....A 2004 Z06 and 2005 NSX pull the same lap times...Theve been head to head in a few magazines..

The differance is that nobody gives a crap about a 2004 Z06 any more..It's just a 25-33K vette now..Nonthing more...

Sure you can buy NSX's for 25-33K as well..But their 17 years old...Not 4 years old..

As well Their are only 9,000 NSX's in the US....Try around 40,000 C5Z06's in the US..

Asfor the interior...The C5Z06 interior is identical to my 2004 C5 coupe interior besides the colors and Z06 embrodery...My 91 NSX interior is much more refined than my 04 vette interior ever was...

Their is a reason I skipped over the C5Z06 and went straight to Vipers and NSX's when I sold my 2004 C5....

A vettes just a vette at the end of the day..Even the once touted C6Z06 can now be obtained for 55K...The same 2006 that sold for 70-100K 2 years ago is now a mid 50's car...Thats simply because a vette is a vette..

Next time you do a review you have to add these types of things..Like stopping for gas or people taking pictures and such...NSX and Viper..yes they are exotics..Vette...NOPE

Now wait a minute, Ohio State JUST bought an NSX, like this last week, what made you trade in your vette for your 05' NSX tOSU? Like you said the vette performs lights out but if you follow that road to it's end you end up in top fuel funny car.:wink: This is my 1st NSX and I think it's a keeper.

I don't think that most of us are attacking you, quite the opposite, most of us agree on a few points, and like you say, a few will choose to disagree. Remember what they say about opinions, they're just like a$$holes, everyone has one. Don't let one person (mine or anyone else) make you feel that yours isn't valid. I do appreciate your post, it was thoughtful, well constructed and your honest opinion. I also very much appreciated your conclusion. I will make you a promise, once you've had your NSX for awhile, you won't be too eager to get rid of it!!!

Again it just proves the point that all the specs,numbers,parameters,materials mean little or alot to some but in the end you have to drive a car before buying.Amazing how two people can have a completely different experience with the same machine.The nsx is in the end if nothing else is a balanced package.

This is very well said.

Forgive the off topic rambling, but this post really got me thinking. I'll just go on record as saying I grew up in a Corvette house. I still really like them, despite a distaste for just about anything else GM.

My dad bought a '67 when I was 3 and still has it. A stunning car, truly. He was never shy about asking me if I wanted to drive it, but I never did until about a year ago. (I'm now in my early 30s.) Its amazing how different 2 people can see the same two cars so completely differently. Not much beats that 67 in terms of interior or exterior styling IMO. The noise from the side pipes is pretty nice too. That said, I am fairly certain you could cream it on the track with an RSX.

The 67 vette was my dads dream car in HS, and he bought one just over 10 years later. Mine was the NSX and I did the same. Circular logic I know, but that is what most impresses me with the NSX: here we are in 2008 and I have yet to drive ANYTHING that has the total package the NSX does. The thing is nearly 20 years old. I can tell you from personal experience that the 67 vette was not comparable to mid 80s 'modern' sports cars.

The NSX really is the total package. It doesn't depreciate much. It has been super reliable. It costs very little to maintain, and never ONCE did I get the impression that something was designed halfassed, or with cost even vaguely being a factor. It shows. That said, I don't think history will see the NSX the way it did the 67 vette. The achievement at the time was similar, but Honda/Acura just hasn't followed through.

So how does this all add up? Hard to say. 67 vette is art to me. I still love it, but no longer think of it as the perfect car to go on a Saturday drive in. I'd love to have one, but don't think I'd really ever get the urge to drive it. NSX is a looker too, but the real beauty is in the car itself.

Deep down, I think I am disappointed that the rest of society probably will not ever recognize it for the milestone I think it is. I doubt it will be a 67 vette. It won't be an F355. It probably will get outpriced by a SupraTT in 20 years at Barrett Jackson.

I'll just have to console myself in the only way I can see that befits the NSX. By enjoying the hell out out if it. I am seriously considering getting another for a daily driver.

The C5 interior is equivalent to a cavalier. It is horrible. The NSX interior is 10x in terms of quality and design. The C6 on the other hand is a huge improvement over the C5 and while the driving position is better in the NSX, the C6 is just as nice in most other ways plus it has lots of cool gadgets.

I have lived with my C6 over 1.5 years now. Not a single problem. No squeaks or rattles but sometimes the roof does creak. However, my NSX-T roof creaked a lot!

Back