• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Zanardi Battery

Number9

Sadly, I don't drive my Zanardi nearly enough so the OEM battery died. Went to Sunnyvale Acura (nearest work) and they claimed that the Zanardi battery is discontinued!!!

I have since found that the Exide 51R-84 (from Kragens) is the exact same form factor as the prior OEM Zanardi battery and has a similar weight. So if you want to go lighter, that should work for cheaper than an Odyssey.

Lud, might be worth noting in the FAQ. BTW, the Zanardi battery is lighter than the stock battery but heavier than the Odyssey...

How much, roughly, does the Zanardi battery weight and how much more/less does the Kragen replacement weight? Also, not to pry, but how much was the battery itself?

The stock battery is about 32 lbs., the Zanardi battery (and Kragen) is about 25, and the Odyssey 680 is about 15 lbs. Price for the Kragen was about $50US.

--twc

TWC,

Thank you for the info, looks like I'll be looking into a Kragen battery soon!

-Hubert

[This message has been edited by bb6 (edited 28 April 2002).]

Hmm... since the new Type R just came out, maybe Honda has a new battery similar to the zanardi battery. I would imagine Honda would use a lighter weight bettery in the Type R than the normal NSXs. Can anyone confirm?

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

Originally posted by POWERED by HONDA:
Will this Exide/Zanardi Battery replacement fit in a regular battery holder for a 98-T?

Not quite the answer you were looking for, but I was able to do the reverse, i.e., fit the stock battery into the Zanardi mount without difficulty (while I looked for a suitable Z battery replacement). I suspect the smaller Kragen would fit fine in the standard battery hardware but don't have another NSX handy to compare - worst case is that you'd perhaps need to drill a new pair of holes to mount the threaded/hooked rods that hold down the battery or perhaps shorten the rods and re-thread them. Or you can just get the Odyssey mount from Dali Racing, which only requires a bit of drill work but which saves an additional 10 lbs. over the Zanardi battery.

Originally posted by Number9:
Sadly, I don't drive my Zanardi nearly enough so the OEM battery died. Went to Sunnyvale Acura (nearest work) and they claimed that the Zanardi battery is discontinued!!!

My Zanardi battery died last year and John Vasos at Acura of Brookfield found that a battery specified for one of the other Acura models was the same size size and spec (only cheaper). The part number on my receipt is 31500-SR1-A02. HTH

I just finished replacing the battery on my 98-T.

What a pain... (well it wasn't too bad...)

I went to Kragens and bought the Exide 51R-84.

I weighed both batteries and Number9 was spot on regarding weight.

Installation was a little bit more difficult since the Zanardi replacement battery was quite a bit thinner than the regular OEM NSX battery. The plastic battery tray was in the way of the tiedown bracket. I had to get creative as I also have a Schumacher trickle charger to worry about. If I didn't have the trickle charger I'd attempt to mount the battery without the plastic battery tray...

I had to make up for the 2.5 - 3 inches of play in the tray by cutting up a small piece of 2x4 and stuffed it in between. After I did that, I hooked everything up, made sure it was nice and secure, and cranked her up.

As an extra safety precaution, I put some cloth in between the battery terminals and the tiedown bracket to reduce the chance of contact and possibly causing a fire as noted in the FAQ. I hope I did it right.
smile.gif
With my luck something might happen...

Eithet way, thanks for all the help everyone!

P.S. Is the Zanardi plastic battery tray different? It looks like it's the same since Number9 said he could put a regular battery in... also, www.acuraautomotiveparts.net also did not have different "part numbers."

I have not had the chance to compare the S2000 battery, but it is smaller than a regular NSX battery - I don't know if it is the same as the Zanardi/Type S battery.

oops!

didn't realize there was a core charge so i recycled my honda battery with kragen auto
thinking i was going to order an odyssey through mail.

but i decided on an exide 51R-84 and noticed they put a core charge of 8 bucks. not much but if i knew, i would have just waited and returned the honda battery when purchasing the exide. doh!

anyways, since the exide is smaller in depth, i'm gonna have to put some wood blocks to wedge it in the oem case.

subscribe..

any chance if anyone know there is any newer batteries since then that work best for the Zanardi?

Thanks..

I haven't had to modify my Zanardi battery hold down to accomodate a Duralast battery. Not a group 51 though. The regular NSX bracket & box are too long (left to right as viewed with hood up) for a Zanardi battery tray.

I haven't had to modify my Zanardi battery hold down to accomodate a Duralast battery. Not a group 51 though. The regular NSX bracket & box are too long (left to right as viewed with hood up) for a Zanardi battery tray.

Acura calls out a group 51 for the Zanardi, "BATTERY (51R/500AMP85)"

Your bracket should be fine because you have a Zanardi, that's for the ones who don't.

Zanardi bracket: 31512-SH3-010
Hold down bolts: 31513-SP0-010 x2

Last edited:
Back