• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

zanardi, whats it worth?

Assuming you had all of the stock parts (exhaust and wheels):

$60-70k region for its 56k mileage and I predict you will get offers in the $60-65k range though.

Consider that the guy above "probably" paid around $75k for his and yours has triple the mileage I feel I'm in the right ballpark. Plus The Kid's car has half the mileage and he'd start to consider offers of around $75k to make him "think about it"....

Last edited:
actually the wheels are so new they only have 1700 miles on them w the orig a022s. im def at a crossroads w if i should sell or not. with a daughter in college and a little one that seems is always at a little league game it just doesnt get used.

Keep it and consider it an investment.

Sure you can easily buy any NSX and make it "better" than the Zanardi.
But as an example look at the top selling muscle cars at auction. Nobody wants some frankenstein car that has been modded with the wrong engine, transmission or suspension. The highest selling vehicles are (1) all original, and (2) very limited production models. Low miles is good, but the condition and originality is more important IMO. These are cars that are selling for 10 times what they were worth a couple decades ago.

In 30 years people are going to be kicking themselves for selling their NSX.

I would say that sometime in the future the highest price for any nsx at an auction like BJ will be for an original zanardi.

I would agree, which is why putting miles on them sucks!

Comments like that remind me of the saying:
"Having an exotic car and not driving it, so not to diminish the value, is like having a hot girlfriend/wife, and not having sex with her, so her next husband/boyfriend can enjoy her"

Me, I'll drive my car and enjoy it, same with my better half!!!!:wink:

I am the second owner of #26 with 16k miles. I get unsolicited email offers all the time in the $65k range. Of course I value #26 at more than this or I would have sold.

I keep track of all 51 Zanardi VIN's (including Migual Duhamel's #51) and the last time I check all 51 carfax's you would be surprised how many have been wrecked, salvaged, or even two stolen, and one was recently exported to Japan.

The value of a vehicle is supply and demand driven. I am only aware of approximately four "no issue" Zanardi's that have sold in the last five years. #29 recently sold with approximately 3500 miles and the dealer asked $75k for it. I was the second person of three to offer to buy it in one day. It sold to the first lucky person. Based on supply and demand, #29 was under priced at $75k.

In my opinion your vehicle may sell for as high as $65k. I would convert it to stock if it is modified.

Bob

That is interesting data point. I thought all the Zanardi's came with the Bridgestone Potenza RE010's.

Bob

Came with either Yoko's or RE010 as OEM....you got what came on the car new.

Last edited:
Assuming you had all of the stock parts (exhaust and wheels):

$60-70k region for its 56k mileage and I predict you will get offers in the $60-65k range though.

Consider that the guy above "probably" paid around $75k for his and yours has triple the mileage I feel I'm in the right ballpark. Plus The Kid's car has half the mileage and he'd start to consider offers of around $75k to make him "think about it"....

This ^^^^

"Having an exotic car and not driving it, so not to diminish the value, is like having a hot girlfriend/wife, and not having sex with her, so her next husband/boyfriend can enjoy her"

And definitely this ^^

I'd put your car back to absolute OEM and keep it that way... Net 2-3k for wheels/exhaust and expect 60-maybe 65k. You do have nearly twice or three times the mileage of others. But still sounds like an amazing car.

Or just keep it and consider it an appreciating asset. There will be less and less out there as mentioned as well.... 60k ish seems like a good value from here on out.

On page 2 and we are trending twords my original price:wink: You have to look at recent z transactions, not old data,some of which is being cross contaminated by what we think 04/05 cars should be worth. As was just mentioned the pool of really good zanardis is small,and it really is the only "special" factory model ever sold here.

Came with either Yoko's or RE010 as OEM....you got what came on the car new.

I knew the regular NSX came with either brand, but somewhere (maybe wrong) in my memory bank I thought all the Zanardi's came with the Bridgestone's. I looked through all the original materials and couldn't quickly prove that. The new Zanardi's came with color B&W glossy photos and 35 mm slides along with other unique materials. I took this photo of one of the B&W photos that shows Alex next to #1 (most likely) and it clearly has Potenza's on it.

Bob

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 162
I knew the regular NSX came with either brand, but somewhere (maybe wrong) in my memory bank I thought all the Zanardi's came with the Bridgestone's. I looked through all the original materials and couldn't quickly prove that. The new Zanardi's came with color B&W glossy photos and 35 mm slides along with other unique materials. I took this photo of one of the B&W photos that shows Alex next to #1 (most likely) and it clearly has Potenza's on it.

Bob

Of the 5 NSX's I purchased new, some came with Yoko's & some the Potenzas. I also got the packet of photos & slides + personal letter & a toy model of the car from Acura autographed by somebody(?)

Remembering my 1st NSX, a '94 Black/Black, I had to sign a disclaimer that the tires had no tread wear life guarantee. Prior to that, unhappy owners took Honda to task with a class action lawsuit - was settled by giving coupons for new tires as compensation.

Of the 5 NSX's I purchased new, some came with Yoko's & some the Potenzas. I also got the packet of photos & slides + personal letter & a toy model of the car from Acura autographed by somebody(?)

Did you buy a new Zanardi with Yoko's on it?

Did you buy a new Zanardi with Yoko's on it?

I purchased the car new & to the best of my recollection (ha ha) they were Yoko. Always thought the Yoko's were a harder tire than the Bridgestones & was hoping I'd get better tire wear v the 3 - 5K miles I was used to.

When they wore out I purchased RE010 from Tire Rack. I felt they rode better from past experience.

Looked though my old photos & could not see what tire they were when the car was new & I have a lot
of pics + bought a lot of tires for NSX's.

Last edited:
I keep track of all 51 Zanardi VIN's (including Migual Duhamel's #51) and the last time I check all 51 carfax's you would be surprised how many have been wrecked, salvaged, or even two stolen, and one was recently exported to Japan.

The value of a vehicle is supply and demand driven. I am only aware of approximately four "no issue" Zanardi's that have sold in the last five years. #29 recently sold with approximately 3500 miles and the dealer asked $75k for it. I was the second person of three to offer to buy it in one day. It sold to the first lucky person. Based on supply and demand, #29 was under priced at $75k.

Bob

Well said. A couple of observations:

First, anecdotal evidence does seem to establish that the pool of really nice Zanardis is very, very small. This is the "survivor" phenomenon which haunts most limited production, high performance cars. When I had Zanardi #32 at Science of Speed for its service, they commented that many of the cars had been subject to accidents and or abuse. Apparently, back in '99, the cars were received with somewhat tepid enthusiasm. Some were not appreciated or treated kindly by their owners. Sounds like the 427 Cobras back in '67, doesn't it? Anyway, they all commented that #32 was extraordinary. I know that it may appear that I am blatantly blowing #32's horn, but my motives are pure; I don't ever plan on selling the car. I know I've said that before (I hope my wife doesn't read this) but this time I REALLY MEAN IT.

Regarding the diminishing pool of uncrashed cars, the same is very true for the Ford GT, where crashes are almost epidemic. Makes me want to take all the better car of both cars. I drive them, but I also take care of them. I value condition more than miles. In fact, some very very low mile cars are maintenance nightmares. I would like to hit 100k miles in both the GT and the Zanardi, then have my grandkids get speeding tickets in them on the way to my funeral. You'll notice I didn't mention the 458. First rule of Ferrari ownership; bail out before the warranty expires :)

Finally, I also called on the Isringhausen Zanardi, but it had been sold a few days earlier by the time I called. I agree that it was underpriced, providing of course that it was in perfect condition. I have seen a few 5000 mile cars that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I've also seen a few 25,000 mile cars that were literally better than new.

Last edited:
...Anyway, they all commented that #32 was extraordinary. I know that it may appear that I am blatantly blowing #32's horn...

Blow #32's horn as loud as you want, its in amazing condition.

(by pure coincidence I was at SOS picking up a part after work when I met DeHaldaswerth and checked out his #32)

Your point is that cars should be bought to drive and not collect, so don't save them for someone else. Even if you have the cash to disregard resale value, it doesn't change the fact that your car would be worth less if you were forced to sell it or if it were declared a total loss. Whether or not that bothers you is definitely personal! I'm not the only one who thinks limited edition cars make the owners reluctant to drive them- owners have professed that they sold their cars because they were afraid to put miles on them. In fact I believe that's why Alas-NSX just sold his after only a few months of ownership. Just depends on who you are and how you see things, and probably ultimately on finances. It's a real luxury to be able to have a more care-free outlook!

Condition is important as well kept cars will bring higher values but if this car continues to be driven at double or triple the rate of other Zanardi's then it obviously won't be worth as much as low mileage examples that may just need mechanical maintenance, which is far better than if a car needs paint. Who would care if it needs wear items like a timing belt/clutch/fluids replaced but if the nose has been repainted due to rock chips then that's much worse IMHO. Cars that get driven just see more wear on physical parts- nose and seat bolsters come to mind as well as rubber seals. Once that stuff is not all original then the buyer pool gets smaller and value drops- if you care about that sort of thing ;)

This is exactly why I bought an NSX that needed body work... since it would never be totally "original" (paintwise, etc.), I wouldn't be afraid to drive it and put lots of miles on it. I know that if I had a mint Zanardi, I would not be able to enjoy the car knowing that any scratch or dent would reduce the value and I would feel like I am ruining a perfect car.

Probably why I never see myself buying a brand new vehicle :cool:

On a side note, I saw #28 sold at Russo and Steele at Monterey (August 2012). Anyone have a user ID to see the auction results?

I wish I was in a position to buy a Zanardi and spend that much on a car. I'd have a hard time spending 65k on a Zanardi not because it may not be worth that but because the technology has been surpassed by other sports cars - I know blasphemy right. There it is though. I mean I can go out and by a low mileage Zanardi for 75k or more or I could go out and buy a 2010 Carrera S or if I wait just a bit I could buy a used 991 in a year. Just because they are better performers and have the latest tech - nav, etc.

Now as to whether to drive one or not or store and look at it or something like that for fear of depreciating the asset - an old discussion that has two distinctly different sides and although I would not buy one and let it sit I wouldn't drive the wheels off it either. That's just my perspective as a driver of cars and not a "saver" of cars for someone else or just with the eye to concourse or museum quality stuff. Not for me.

The other issue that has been raised is how damage or repainting will diminish the cars value - maybe right now -but what 1958 Speedster hasn't had a floor pan or front storage compartment pan or even structural stuff replaced because of rust - does that mean that you wouldn't be wise to restore one of those if it was in bad shape or because it had been raced and wrecked??? Man that is a ridiculous argument. Hell even James Dean's Porsche 550 was resurrected and repaired - more like brought back from a pile of sheet metal - think that diminished it's value - ummmm - no. By the time our beloved Zanardis get that old you better believe there could have been paint and wreckage damage all repaired to a high quality and those that have gone many a mile and will have been completely restored - this idea that only pristine examples are going to be worth anything is poppycock. They'll all be worth plenty, imho, of course.

As to whether to drive or not to drive - case in point - man owned a 1970 911 T and drove it 800,000 miles - rebuilt the motor 3 times, painted it 3 times and replaced the interior 2 times and rebuilt the transmission 3 times as well as a whole lot of other replaced parts more than once! Do you think for a minute that car isn't worth a pile? If you say no it wouldn't - guess what - you'd be wrong. That car was lovingly maintained and the guy died and left it to his mechanic that had worked on it for over 20 years. He considered himself to be the new privileged owner and steward of a car that is very, very special. I have to agree. There are 356s owned by PCA members that have traversed the country many times with over 500,000 miles on them and they are still in wonderful condition.

Folks there are a lot of ways to own cars - I believe that all of them eventually will have a wonderful place in history and in some lucky person's garage where they will continue to be pampered, loved and yes, DRIVEN!

I had the same feeling that I would loose money on a car by driving it - it was an 87 Turbo Look Cabrio that I bought with 12,400 miles on it - yep you read that right - still had the original tires on it and I drove that car back to Atlanta from Columbus, OH on those flat spotted tires - slowly I'll grant you. It was perfect - I mean perfect - the top looked like it was new right out of the box almost. Rear window plastic was perfectly clear and the interior was incredible. Just a few minor paint chips. I got that car home and started to drive it but I got worried about the fact that I was putting miles on the car and that it would no longer be the value that it was when I bought it if I kept that up. So I sold it cause I couldn't stand it - but I WAS WRONG! That car would have been just as valuable, almost, with 40k miles on it. That car today would be even more valuable with 40k on it than when I bought it - yes it was limited production too!

I should have kept it and driven it for a while but it wasn't so fast, etc. etc, blah blah blah. I would say that if I had bought a pristine Zanardi and done the same thing - it's just wrong thinking. First of all you buy a car because you like it and if later it becomes a collectors item - well goody for you! But you should buy a car because it is something you'd like to own and drive but however much you drive the car - don't be scared of it or scared to own it or drive it or use it for what it was intended for! Save it - save it for who?

Oh, well - whatever, but that's just the other side of this continuing discussion - just another point of view that may or may not be worth considering. Whoever gets this Zanardi should enjoy it and buy it for that purpose - not buy it and lock it away in a vault like a Rembrandt. It's like putting a Stradivarius away in a closet and not playing it for fear of wearing it out....what a travesty that would be.

Adios....

Well said.

Anyway, they all commented that #32 was extraordinary. I know that it may appear that I am blatantly blowing #32's horn, but my motives are pure; I don't ever plan on selling the car.

DeHaldaswerth, thanks. You have a very nice stable of cars, I would love to visit! The last time I pulled the stats on #32 I wrote down 10.1k miles, but some states don't update records when the owners don't change. Do you mind sharing you current mileage? Also if you were the original owner, what tires came on it?

Bob

DeHaldaswerth, thanks. You have a very nice stable of cars, I would love to visit! The last time I pulled the stats on #32 I wrote down 10.1k miles, but some states don't update records when the owners don't change. Do you mind sharing you current mileage? Also if you were the original owner, what tires came on it?

Bob

Bob, I'm not the original owner. It has about 13,500 miles on it now. The car presently has Bridgestones. Carfax shows the tires being replaced, so I know that they are not the originals. However, they are likely the second set, based on wear.

Regarding the diminishing pool of uncrashed cars, the same is very true for the Ford GT, where crashes are almost epidemic. Makes me want to take all the better car of both cars. I drive them, but I also take care of them. I value condition more than miles. In fact, some very very low mile cars are maintenance nightmares. I would like to hit 100k miles in both the GT and the Zanardi, then have my grandkids get speeding tickets in them on the way to my funeral. You'll notice I didn't mention the 458. First rule of Ferrari ownership; bail out before the warranty expires :)

Some very wise words, from a very wise man!!!! I love driving the cars, had the GT out this weekend, the comments are hysterical, from-"this is the first time I've ever seen one of these actually out on the road", to "how do those speakers in the seats feel and sound". You can't make this stuff up. Take out your NSX's, and whatever other toys you have, drive them, maintain them, love them. If you bought it because you thought it was an "investment", it was, but maybe it isn't. It is a car, built to be driven, you can admire it best from the drivers seat, on the road!!!:biggrin:

Back