• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Zex nitrous is on!

WOW! That's all I can say. :D I'm currently running the 75hp dry shot, and it is truly AMAZING! This is what the car is missing from the factory...now when I hit the gas, I get a huge smile!

Install was pretty easy, I decided to mount the solenoid/electronix box, purge valve, and bottles in the trunk. I have two 10lb bottles, so I don't run out as quick. :)

I accessed the TPS (throttle position sensor) wire at the throttlebody, it's the center (red/white) wire of the 3 on the plug. This is on a '92.

I'll take pics after I get it all cleaned up!

SR

How do you like the low end torque? pretty tight huh! congrats on your new system.
David

BadCarma said:
How do you like the low end torque? pretty tight huh! congrats on your new system.
David

Thanks!

The torque is amazing! Although, I don't engage it below 4krpms. The lower you engage it the more exponential amounts of extra stress on the pistons/rods/crank...it's better used up top for safety. The car feels SO much more fun now, many more people should invest in nitrous if they don't want to go the full out forced induction route. :)

SR

Kyosuke8 said:
How long does a 10 lbs pound last on avrg?

About 60 seconds of use for me per staged bottles, I have a two line purge that blows off alot before I spray so you may get more time out of yours (the shot also dictates bottle duration). get a purge for your kit, it will 'hit' much harder. BTW as WIZ indicated NOS says you can spray at 3000k but I have my window switch set to spray between 3800-6800k RPM . reaction time puts it right at the 4000k to begin (right where the fuel pump kicks into high flow) and their is no sense spraying above 6800k due to massive increase of CFM and to low an RPM sqeeze can initiate the motor conditions expressed by WIZ. the nitrous ratio flips from high n2o content and degrades along a definable curve,this is IMHO why a staged setup is needed as your nitrous setup is 'dumb' and flows the same amount of n2o regardless of increased intake. bottle pressure must remain constant from full to near empty. by using a seperate bottle for each stage helps you to acertain consumption (for tuning of your setup) and a guarantee that when your second stage goes 'live' it is at optimal pressure. understanding and adjusting your setup with the rate of mass flow in mind while on the sqeeze is critical to a successful nitrous 'tune' also keep in mind that nitrous has a slight pressurizing affect on your intake as it is injected and can(and will) cause fluctuation of the intake density. so how do we get a optimal tune for nitrous injected powerplants? flow constants (air)are not really applicable for tuning nitrous. the only constant I perceive as viable is BSFC just as if you were tuning a S/C powerplant.
WELL looks like I went way off the base question of HOW LONG A BOTTLE WILL LAST. I did it for a reason. nitrous injection is far from a bolt on and forget about it way to make HP and torque. it requires diligent use,tuning and a need to understand the concepts behind what makes the 'magic' if you approach it with these concepts in mind you will have a very fast car that wont blow up like so many mindless installs. respect it and take the appropriate measures and you will have years of safe use!

Best Regards David
P.S. sorry if its to much info...I am obsessive about nitrous theory at this time :)
I typed this up in a hurry but am working on a PDF that covers tuning of all the major systems, if this is rather fragmented and possibly not very comprehensive to the reader please understand it is alot of ground to cover and needs clarification in a Faq type document that is broken down in sections.

My friend just installed nitrous in his car and I'm in love! Now he's got nitrous on both of his Lexus's. It feels like VTEC kicking in, but stronger. Just awesome!
David, what's up with the juice. I'm feening(spelling?) over here!!
:D
Z

NSX FoYoAss said:
David, what's up with the juice. I'm feening(spelling?) over here!!
:D
Z

I have your phone # email me a good time to call and we will build you whatever you want
david

CmputerWiz said:
WOW! That's all I can say. :D I'm currently running the 75hp dry shot, and it is truly AMAZING! This is what the car is missing from the factory...now when I hit the gas, I get a huge smile!

Install was pretty easy, I decided to mount the solenoid/electronix box, purge valve, and bottles in the trunk. I have two 10lb bottles, so I don't run out as quick. :)

I accessed the TPS (throttle position sensor) wire at the throttlebody, it's the center (red/white) wire of the 3 on the plug. This is on a '92.

I'll take pics after I get it all cleaned up!

SR

CmputerWiz--

i am very interested in putting a nitrous kit on my 91 NSX. i would love to get the details from you on your kit...cost, prepackaged kit? auto-engage or do you have a thumb trigger?

TheeAman

Re: Re: Zex nitrous is on!

theeaman said:
CmputerWiz--

i am very interested in putting a nitrous kit on my 91 NSX. i would love to get the details from you on your kit...cost, prepackaged kit? auto-engage or do you have a thumb trigger?

TheeAman

I purchased it all from www.Zex.com, although you can get it cheaper from 3rd parties, such as SummitRacing.com. Kit was $611, purge kit was $113, I'm using the nozzle in the end of my air intake that was about $100 (for the new filter, with nozzle in it already), remote bottle opener was $250.

I mounted everything in my trunk, purges inside the fender so they can't see it, etc.

I have a switch to arm the system, after which it activates at 100% throttle.

Any other questions? :) I still need to take some pics so you can see it, but I want to clean up the install first.

SR

Re: Re: Re: Zex nitrous is on!

CmputerWiz said:
I purchased it all from www.Zex.com, although you can get it cheaper from 3rd parties, such as SummitRacing.com. Kit was $611, purge kit was $113, I'm using the nozzle in the end of my air intake that was about $100 (for the new filter, with nozzle in it already), remote bottle opener was $250.

I mounted everything in my trunk, purges inside the fender so they can't see it, etc.

Any other questions? :) I still need to take some pics so you can see it, but I want to clean up the install first.

SR

what is the delay from turning your system on feeling the performance...is it immediate? for instance, sitting at traffic light (unarmed), vette pulls up...can you arm the system and punch the gas or do you need a few seconds for the system to warm up?

do you have any other mods to your car? exhaust? headers? i am currently running completely stock and would like to keep the car as stock as possible while still giving it the kick in the ass it needs to be as fast as it looks.

kits sounds like exactly what i am looking for...now just to find a installer i can trust to do the job right.

thanx.

Re: Re: Re: Zex nitrous is on!

CmputerWiz said:

Any other questions?

SR

What are you doing about TCS and Rev Limiter? Does the Zex turn off with the fuel cut?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Zex nitrous is on!

wilsonp said:
What are you doing about TCS and Rev Limiter? Does the Zex turn off with the fuel cut?

Well you really should use a "window switch" that will cut off the nitrous around 7900rpms or so.

Personally, I don't use them. I've been running at the track for so long that I've gotten pretty good at never hitting the limiter. In fact, I've never once hit it when I didn't mean to. My clutch even keeps breaking loose and throwing the revs pretty high, and I've been lucky enough to have good enough reaction time to let off of 100% throttle. :D

As for TCS, I have it completely disabled. The same for ABS, disabled.

SR

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Zex nitrous is on!

CmputerWiz said:
Well you really should use a "window switch" that will cut off the nitrous around 7900rpms or so.

Personally, I don't use them. I've been running at the track for so long that I've gotten pretty good at never hitting the limiter. In fact, I've never once hit it when I didn't mean to. My clutch even keeps breaking loose and throwing the revs pretty high, and I've been lucky enough to have good enough reaction time to let off of 100% throttle. :D

As for TCS, I have it completely disabled. The same for ABS, disabled.

SR
The window switch while as a bonus keeps you from hitting your rev limiter and spraying at to low an RPM is for me more important for tuning the delivery of the spray where it is bested suited to make power.spraying to high up the band is a waste of NOS and if you have a WOT type switch and dont have time to disarm the system the window will do it for you allowing you to stay at WOT without messing with a switch to disarm the spray.I can think of several situations where this is advantages

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Zex nitrous is on!

BadCarma said:
The window switch while as a bonus keeps you from hitting your rev limiter and spraying at to low an RPM is for me more important for tuning the delivery of the spray where it is bested suited to make power.spraying to high up the band is a waste of NOS and if you have a WOT type switch and dont have time to disarm the system the window will do it for you allowing you to stay at WOT without messing with a switch to disarm the spray.I can think of several situations where this is advantages

cmpterwiz/bad carma:

are either of you using the zex nitrous air amplifier on your set-up? any thoughts on it?

theeaman

computerwiz,
so did the filter require any modification to fit into the stock throtle body? was it a direct bolt on? how much faster do you think your nsx got? 50 more hp at the wheels? 0-60 estimated? thanks!

madfast said:
computerwiz,
so did the filter require any modification to fit into the stock throtle body? was it a direct bolt on? how much faster do you think your nsx got? 50 more hp at the wheels? 0-60 estimated? thanks!
MAD, its a direct bolt on as far as I can tell, they just engineered their own cone intake with the nossle shooting right down the pipe,they claim an added 50 CFM in an add I saw on TV but have not laid hands on one yet, the one thing about that design is: I wish I had thought of it and due to the fact that it comes in the front of the cone their is less turbulence created in the intake. less disruption is good
David

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Zex nitrous is on!

theeaman said:
cmpterwiz/bad carma:

are either of you using the zex nitrous air amplifier on your set-up? any thoughts on it?

theeaman

That's what I'm using. It's pretty cool the way it works, shoots the nitrous straight into the intake from the end of the air filter. This has advantages...WHen it sprays, it makes everything inside the air filter colder, so the internal air shrinks, causing more external air to rush in. Also the speed of the nitrous spraying will create low pressure and pull more air in with it.

On top of all that, the nsx is perfect for the system. I already had the RM Racing intake, so I just bolted the cone filter directly to the end of the RM tube, replacing the old filter. The nitrous is spraying *directly* into the intake. There are no bends or turns for the air to take, so likely this is the best dry kit setup you CAN do on this car.

If you don't already have an aftermarket intake, you're going to need a 3" piece of tubing to go from the intake to the air filter. RM Racing's is carbon fiber, but you can get whatever. Just don't use PVC...LOL

As for power...In my previous experiences with nitrous, whatever "hp" shot you put on, is what it adds at the wheels. So a 75 shot should add 75 at the wheels. I can totally agree with that on this car, the newfound power is AMAZING. Not sure on 0-60, becuase I can't use it in 1st. If i stomp first, the wheels just break loose! Can't wait to get some WIDE tires to use with this.

SR

Did I mention I really want nitrous!!

NSX: no nitrous
ugh2.gif
NSX: nitrous
burnout.gif
burnout.gif

badcarma and computerwiz,
thanks guys. I think I will think about buying this dry kit. sounds like a lot of hp is being put to the ground. too bad it only lasts 60 seconds? so in two races I gotta go and fill up? how much is a lbs of nitrous?

I'm spending $28.50 on a 10lb bottle refill. I have two bottles in the trunk, one open at a time.

SR

cmptuerwiz: have you retarded your timming at all? how's the 75 shot treating you?

sorry if my next remark comes off the wrong way, i just really hate zex nitrous kits. i would strongly suggest you go for a different set up, a wet nitrous kit would be much preferable. the zex kit in my experience just blows motors. i've blown 1 motor and 4 of my other friends have blown their motors using the zex dry kit, and this isn't because we were running too high a shot. the underlying problem is that it's a dry kit, and zex lies about the HP you're getting, their 50shot is equivalent to about 30hp. honestly if it were any other kit i'd give you the thumbs up and whatnot, i'm just worried about your motor for you.

No timing changes. It's running great for me! I've used Zex for years now, since it came out. Never seen anyone with a problem. :)

Thanks for your concern thought!!!

SR

renny said:
cmptuerwiz: have you retarded your timming at all? how's the 75 shot treating you?

sorry if my next remark comes off the wrong way, i just really hate zex nitrous kits. i would strongly suggest you go for a different set up, a wet nitrous kit would be much preferable. the zex kit in my experience just blows motors. i've blown 1 motor and 4 of my other friends have blown their motors using the zex dry kit, and this isn't because we were running too high a shot. the underlying problem is that it's a dry kit, and zex lies about the HP you're getting, their 50shot is equivalent to about 30hp. honestly if it were any other kit i'd give you the thumbs up and whatnot, i'm just worried about your motor for you.

What was the cause of motor failure? did you test your compression before install and use correct short strap plugs? change out fuel filter and test pump? clean your injectors, should I go on. this is not a flame I really want to know what causes four buddys all running zex dry kits to have engine failure. please indicate what safety features and prep work was done and who did the installs you and your friends or a shop(DO NOT name shop). was this on an NSX if not what types of cars. I run nitrous on my car and the list of brands i've run is all of them except Venom but have installed that on another car. I really am collecting data on engine demise 'due' to nitrous, so if you have the time please respond.

I saw in another thread the poster said stay away from 'weird stuff' like Venom and go with a wet NX setup and a fuel and nitrous pill and its off to the race's.....not hardly. BTW NX is now selling a Venom like module that is much more akin to a weirdo Venom kit then a Jacobs or NOS controller. and for the record I want to know why you think wet kits are safer? personally I think it depends on alot of factors as to wet or dry being safer, it is not a constant. lastly this is a quest for knowledge on my part and not an interrogation .when I hear these storys it really interests me as to underlying factors leading up to failure.
Best Regards David

Back