• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ZR1 Dyno Results

Hey guys haven't posted in a while. Just got done with round 1 of mods to the ZR1. (gotta keep up with the incoming Z06s) :wink:

Thought I'd share.

Mods:
-Ported LS7 Throttle Body
-Ported Stock Supercharger Snout
-2.6 pulley
-Gutted Cats

DynoJet Dyno. Average boost was 13.2 lbs, A/F is a conservative 10.90, ambient was 90 degrees with SAE correction factor:

First numbers are with the bolt on parts installed and no tuning. (I didn't get a stock baseline run) Second set is final numbers @ 618/600

7dd49a15-a244-4622-ad17-afb666c6e29c_zpsac66a8c2.jpg

Next up...meth injection, some cooling mods, smaller pulley and retune! The damn crack pipe is hard to put down. :biggrin:

are you going to anything with gearing?

Why is it running so rich?? Shouldn't it be closer to 12 or somewhere along those lines?? I'm no expert here, but would appreciate some insight into how this works, or is this how GM chose to have the A/F ratios on the ZR1?

Why is it running so rich?? Shouldn't it be closer to 12 or somewhere along those lines?? I'm no expert here, but would appreciate some insight into how this works, or is this how GM chose to have the A/F ratios on the ZR1?

This is a FI car, you don't want to be in the 12's. Mid 11's is perfect and high 10's is conservative which is where he's at.

Silverstone - I would enjoy the non-meth power and make sure you really want to make the next step. What is the power jump if you add the meth? I am running meth on my Viper and if I had a stock intercooler like the one you have I would not bother. Meth is a bandaid as it is hard to get even distribution across cylinders. Just my $.02.

600 to the wheels (TQ or HP) is no joke, Congrats friend!

This is a FI car, you don't want to be in the 12's. Mid 11's is perfect and high 10's is conservative which is where he's at.

I see, so with the re-tune he can eek out more power by adjusting the A/F ratios into the mid 11's if he wants too or stay conservative and run in the high 10's?

are you going to anything with gearing?

No sir. Current gearing is excellent. EXCELLENT In fact...due to the aggressive gearing- top speed IS actually achieved in 6th gear in the ZR1...as opposed to 5th gear in the Z06.

- - - Updated - - -

Myself and the tuner chose this AFR. He recommended 11.4-11.5. I said keep it at 11 or below.

I'd rather lose 50 peak HP and TQ than shell out 20k for a new short block. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Silverstone - I would enjoy the non-meth power and make sure you really want to make the next step. What is the power jump if you add the meth? I am running meth on my Viper and if I had a stock intercooler like the one you have I would not bother. Meth is a bandaid as it is hard to get even distribution across cylinders. Just my $.02.

With some supporting cooling mods (larger heat exchanger/larger coolant reservoir w/distilled water/braced intercooler fins) the gain is nothing except safety and no timing retard on hot days. With the cooling mods and the meth I would add a smaller pulley raising the boost. Between that and the impending retune which would add more timing and lean the fuel out significantly, we're looking at a +100whp gain at least.

Alky control makes kits that introduce injection bars that spray into the intake manifold AFTER the blower. The technology is outrageous and the gains are impressive.

- - - Updated - - -
600 to the wheels (TQ or HP) is no joke, Congrats friend!
The thing is fun for sure. 75 degrees and no humidity out tonight means the wife was yelling at me as we drove home from dinner. :)

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance, but if Chev. wants to be king, why did they choose the 6.2 over the 7.0 for the Z06?:confused:

I don't think the blower would fit on the LS7. Hood clearance. And without FI it would be difficult and very expensive to get that power.

I wouldn't do Meth. I would do pulley, cooling and leave it alone. The more you mod it, the less driveable it becomes.

Pardon my ignorance, but if Chev. wants to be king, why did they choose the 6.2 over the 7.0 for the Z06?:confused:

The main reason is they didn't think it would be reliable on the 7.0, so they went with 6.2. Looking at people who have boosted the Z06, there were a lot of engine failures.

You mean for the C7 Z06?

First answer is because they can. The 6.2 LT4 makes 650/650.

Also- the LS7 (7.0L) has thinner cylinder walls and higher compression...not the best application for forced induction.

This answers my question. I've learned something today.
You mean for the C7 Z06?

First answer is because they can. The 6.2 LT4 makes 650/650.

Also- the LS7 (7.0L) has thinner cylinder walls and higher compression...not the best application for forced induction.

If your tuner said 11.5 afr why did you tell him 10.5? 11.5 IS conservative. There is MORE chance you will get piston scuffing at 10.5. Too much fuel washes the oil off the cyl walls. 12 is a fine AFR BUT leaves little room for error, thus your tuner recommended 11.5. Listen to him. Run the correct AFR.

My turbo runs 11.8. No issues 3 years.

If your tuner said 11.5 afr why did you tell him 10.5? 11.5 IS conservative. There is MORE chance you will get piston scuffing at 10.5. Too much fuel washes the oil off the cyl walls. 12 is a fine AFR BUT leaves little room for error, thus your tuner recommended 11.5. Listen to him. Run the correct AFR.

From the graph the tuner looks like he is keeping it at 11.0 as consistently as he can which is fine. He will not have piston scuffing from running 11.0. 5000-6000 seems to be the only spots it dips below 11. There are vehicles from the factory that have left tuned to as low as 10.5 at peak hp and are reliable vehicles.

Last edited:
Nice numbers! Im in the process of building a Widebody boosted vette myself. (2008 Procharged)

I told the tuner I wanted my AFR at 11 (not sure where you got the 10.5 number) or close to it erring on the side of safety. Reread my post.

Also-
You are comparing apples to oranges here with the turbo AFR's vs. supercharged AFRs.

11.5 isn't conservative for a supercharged car with a roots type blower, stock intercooler and advanced timing with no supporting cooling mods.

Back