• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

removing engine cover = no more drone?

Yesterday I pulled my spare tire out and engine cover off in preparation for the new SOS Supercharger with Laminova IC.

I took the car for a spin and immediately noticed that my drone in the 2k - 3k range virtually disappeared. Whatever drone that might be left is faint compared to the exhaust sound from the rear of the NSX.

I confirmed this by opening and closing my windows. Also, even drove the car in tunnels, over pass and garages.

Anyone else experienced this?

Mac Attack?

RYU?

beuller? beuller?

Yessur I have I have a stock NSX that I put the engine cover back on and noticed the drone,so I removed the engine cover and it will likely never go back on.

Interesting. I have never tired that, but with the t-top I want my cover on. My golf clubs are normally in the trunk.

Hmmm going to have to test this theory...never thought about the cover having something to do with the drone...but hey...you never know...:tongue:

How about some audio clips with cover on and off? I haven't ever noticed any drone but I guess I haven't really been listening for it.

Interesting...

Drone is caused by some source (usually something loud like an exhaust frequency) that excites a particular part of a vehicle that has a natural frequency in that range (think vibrating champagne glass that vibrates, etc).

The drone you must have heard Batman was the cover that had a natural frequency in the 100-200Hz range.

You can experimentally determine an objects natural frequency by suspending it and sharply striking it with a hard hammer while sampling the sound generated with a spectrum analyzer. It should have a specific resonance peak.

The cover could also act to change the volume of "air" trapped under the engine bay. This engine bay "volume" may have a specific resonance around that frequency too. Since that's a little harder to figure out, it's easier to first do the hammer test described above.

Thanks for posting that - I never would have thought about that potential impact.

For example - I have a lexan divider window and that thing shakes like crazy in my drone region (105Hz). If it's the air volume in the engine compartment, maybe I could ADD my cover back on to shift the resonance... Hmmmm - too bad I got rid of it a long time ago.

Dave

.......The cover could also act to change the volume of "air" trapped under the engine bay. This engine bay "volume" may have a specific resonance around that frequency too.......

That sounds tantamount to rolling one window down and the far side of the cabin has the drone.

interesting.. i might have to test it out tomorrow.. my cantrell drone around 2500rpm. Less now that i have ctsc and test pipe..a lot of drone with stock cats though..

SUBSCRIBED!!

I have the same thing with my CTSC 2004 , the after market targa compartment makes noise when starting.

I have the one with zippers on the sides if it helps, i will try to post a picture later. I solved the problem, i put vacuum line plugs on top of the lower outside engine brace screws and it does not make any sounds anymore. I basically raised the targa compartment on rubber bushings :)

I have the one with zippers on the sides if it helps, i will try to post a picture later. I solved the problem, i put vacuum line plugs on top of the lower outside engine brace screws and it does not make any sounds anymore. I basically raised the targa compartment on rubber bushings :)

Got a pic?

I did this, it eliminated most of the drone. I will get longer plugs which should solve the problem compleatly.

picture.php

Last edited:
I eliminated most of the drone by using the those vacum line plugs shown above but I am confused now. I also removed the targa compartment to see what would it be like and i still get some of the sounds. At this point i think it is not the targa compartment/engine cover that is producing the drone, maybe i'm wrong?

I have the cantrell type-r style engine cover and I still get drone....but its not as noticeable unless I drive for a long time.

Back