• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

removing engine cover = no more drone?

I have the cantrell type-r style engine cover and I still get drone....but its not as noticeable unless I drive for a long time.

I get the drone right from start. It doesn't metter how long i drive the car from, whenever accelerating from a dead stop i get this drrrruudrudrruu sound comming from the engine bay. It only lasts around 1.5 seconds and I only get it at very between 800 and 1250 rpm. Most of the time it gives me a feeling of a loose pulley.

Does anyone have audio of drone? I'm not sure if I hear drone or not cause I'm not completely sure what it sounds like.

OK, so I took off the engine cover today because the SMPTO CTSC bar is too tall so my hatch wont close. Guess what..... DRONE is GONE! Crazy. I am so happy! Though I really still want to put my targa top in there...

I took my cover out and i still have some drone comming directly from the SC.

I did this, it eliminated most of the drone. I will get longer plugs which should solve the problem compleatly.

picture.php

Could you explain this fix? Do these rubber stops keep the cover from closing all the way?

Could you explain this fix? Do these rubber stops keep the cover from closing all the way?

These rubber stops keep the cover pressed against the rear glass which reduces the vibrations. If you remove your targa top compartment and your drone is gone then this will fix it. In my case I still have a little drone when starting from a dead stop. I had someone moving the car forward a little bit while having my head in the engine bay listening to sounds and my drone is coming directly from the SC. Keep in mind I have the older whipple system, from what I hear the autorotor doesn't have this problem. There are also other owners who claim that you could eliminate the SC drone by switching to different oil.

Last edited:
Update - I had a lot of drone when starting from a dead stop. Not too long ago my SC belt slipped off because it was not tight enough, I replaced the belt and had it adjusted properly. Now I only get a slight drone every 10 to 20 times when starting from a dead stop.

yeah i was thinking about ditching it just for free weight reduction, i don't understand what its purpose is.

If you must remove the cover make sure to cover the plastic coolant reservoir because it will get burn under the sun. I had to replace mine twice. Notice how the Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti and many other have a cetain part of the engine covered.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Interior-2006-Ferrari-F430-Challenge-Engine-640x480.jpg

0708epcp_02_z+2007_lamborghini_gallardo+engine_bay.jpg

Weird. I have a CTSC and can't say I've noticed any drone at all with the cover on or off.(Autorotor SC, DC Sports headers, GT-One ver 5.1 exhaust, engine cover currently off for looks not drone)

My S2K exhaust has a little drone, in fact one person, only one, commented on it but it really doesn't bother me enough to care.(Stock header, Berk Cat, Invidia exhaust)

Weird. I have a CTSC and can't say I've noticed any drone at all with the cover on or off.(Autorotor SC, DC Sports headers, GT-One ver 5.1 exhaust, engine cover currently off for looks not drone)

My S2K exhaust has a little drone, in fact one person, only one, commented on it but it really doesn't bother me enough to care.(Stock header, Berk Cat, Invidia exhaust)

This is probably because you have the newer autorotor, the /1.6L whipple that most people have is known for making more noise.

Took my off and still hear it. Same as not taking it off. Ctsc whipple, headers, test pipes, cantrell ex. I know my exhaust drone anyway, but no different without engine cover for me.

Took my off and still hear it. Same as not taking it off. Ctsc whipple, headers, test pipes, cantrell ex. I know my exhaust drone anyway, but no different without engine cover for me.

There is a very high chance that the drone will mostly go away if you tighten your SC belt.

my drone came back when we put the sc on but it is better than it was. I miss my exhaust note from inside the car.

I have to say I dont notice anything I would call a "drone", but then I never have through 3 NSXs. First 2 were stock, this one is CTSC (whipple), tubi exhaust, CT headers, Cantrell. Engine cover on everything sounded fine. I replaced with DF lexan/CF cover for weight/looks and still sounds fine.

Could very well be someone else would get in and say "YOU DONT NOTICE THAT DRONE?!", though, so maybe its a subjective thing :D

There is a very high chance that the drone will mostly go away if you tighten your SC belt.

I just received my aem a/f and boost gauge today. After i install it and go drive around, then i will tighten the belt more. Seems pretty snug at the monent. But the boost gauge would tell me if i loose any..

Pride V2 stock cats... Drone between 2200RPM and 2900RPM is not bad as the driver. However...

I let my girlfriend drive the car while I was in the passenger seat. It was brutal. The resonance vibrates into your head and after a while you start getting a head ache.

I move my head up about a foot and it is better.

I need to get rid of the drone.

Pride V2 stock cats... Drone between 2200RPM and 2900RPM is not bad as the driver. However...

I let my girlfriend drive the car while I was in the passenger seat. It was brutal. The resonance vibrates into your head and after a while you start getting a head ache.

I move my head up about a foot and it is better.

I need to get rid of the drone.

3 options.

1. try removing the engine cover

2. add side pipe resonators

3. get a different exhaust

some say test pipes help also...

i tried removing the cover and it seemed to reduce drone inside the cabin. i have the pride v2 exhaust, unifilter, and stock otherwise.

Need some advice. I just installed Pride's V2 RFL exhaust on my stock NA2 targa for more grunt and the drone is beyond anything I have ever felt. Feels like everything in my cabin is shaking, my head hurts, and my ears still hurt from driving yesterday. Only happens in the RPM 2-3k range. So every stoplight, slow down, or takeoff you hear it.

I love my targa and remove the top anytime the weather is good. I know others have ditched the cover and put the top in the trunk but if I can avoid doing this, that would be great.

As some have suggested:
Add rubber stops below cover to help minimize vibrations. Any issues with this touching the hatch glass?
Remove the cover, but also paint the coolant tank or buy the mesh cover to protect from UV rays? Does this also apply to the hoses? Do they have any UV protection?
Remove exhaust and look for something with less drone?
Does chassis reinforcement play any role in this or is this just resonance frequency of the cover and or the air pocket trapped under it? Because I plan to install the SOS front top and lower chassis bars.

My ears will appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Need some advice. I just installed Pride's V2 RFL exhaust on my stock NA2 targa for more grunt and the drone is beyond anything I have ever felt. Feels like everything in my cabin is shaking, my head hurts, and my ears still hurt from driving yesterday. Only happens in the RPM 2-3k range. So every stoplight, slow down, or takeoff you hear it.

I love my targa and remove the top anytime the weather is good. I know others have ditched the cover and put the top in the trunk but if I can avoid doing this, that would be great.

As some have suggested:
Add rubber stops below cover to help minimize vibrations. Any issues with this touching the hatch glass?
Remove the cover, but also paint the coolant tank or buy the mesh cover to protect from UV rays? Does this also apply to the hoses? Do they have any UV protection?
Remove exhaust and look for something with less drone?
Does chassis reinforcement play any role in this or is this just resonance frequency of the cover and or the air pocket trapped under it? Because I plan to install the SOS front top and lower chassis bars.

My ears will appreciate any advice. Thanks.

I had the same thing at the same rpm (with a GT-008 exhaust) and adding DB killers (supplied with exhaust) fixed the issue for me.

Last edited:
Removing engine lid does nothing on my with Cantrell exhaust. Drone still there. Added gtlw silencer fix the drone, but kills the roar. Pretty much defeat the purpose of having an exhaust..
You may need to look for different exhaust.

Back