• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

removing engine cover = no more drone?

Well, I ended up removing the clamshell since it was so easy. It did improve the intensity of the sound and shaking. Still loud but not unbearable as before. As a bonus, being able to see the engine is growing on me.

Just remember that if you have the stock white plastic cooling system fill tank, it is not a UV tolerant plastic. Cover it or go to a stainless tank. Otherwise, it will crack.

Just remember that if you have the stock white plastic cooling system fill tank, it is not a UV tolerant plastic. Cover it or go to a stainless tank. Otherwise, it will crack.

Yea, I just haven't decided if I want to paint it with a paint good for plastic or spend the money for the SOS cover. In the meantime its a weekend only car and parked in the garage full time. Now with the engine visible I have to redo my valve covers in wrinkle red. Its always something!

Wanted to update something I tried for exhaust drone...put Dynamat Xtreme in the trunk.

I had bought a sheet of Dynamat for a speaker install on the Z. Well since that didn't really use very much I had a lot leftover. So I cut it up and put it in the trunk of the NSX to see if it would help with exhaust drone. Wow, did it ever!

I didn't line the whole trunk as I didn't have enough to experiment with, but I did a few pieces where the toolbox would be, on the floor to the sides of toolbox area and finally on the front wall of trunk. It cut the drone from the typical 2-3k rpm to just 2500-3k rpm and lowered the drone remaining significantly. I mean the engine cover removal helped a little...but I should have tried Dynamat in the trunk first because it made a huge difference! Plan on buying another sheet and adding some more to see if lining more of the trunk will pay off.

Anyways, just wanted to share with others who might want to try this. I am sure the car audio guys out there will say duh, did that years ago, but it never occurred to me until now.

Back