• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 MT002856 checking in...check out my salvage nsx!!

I picked this car up last weekend in maryland. It is a 1991 5speed with 21k original miles. The damage shown is just where some nut threw latex paint all over it. Guess what, it just peels right off!!! All I have to do is put a little labor into it and Ill have a basically new NSX. The pics are before I did anything to the car. Currently the interior is cleaning up well and the exterior is almost cleaned. Ill have to have it buffed and waxed when Im done, but its going to be perfect. Let me know what you guys think. It has a salvage title, but not for long. The insurance company I bought it from said that they paid off on it b/c it was a domestic disturbance. Ill have it inspected and have a clean title put on it. I can do that b/c I have my dealers liscense :) I feel like this car is worth in the 35k range b/c it doesnt need anything and it was garaged all its life. I know all its history. Ill have have a lot of money in it, but I think itll be worth it. Let me know what you guys think itll be worth when I have it perfect. Here are some pics of it before I started cleaning. Ill post progress pics as well. Thanks guys in advance.

19401nsx_front_left_1-med.JPG

19401nsx_dohc-med.JPG

19401nsx_rear-med.JPG

19401nsx_front_right-med.JPG

19401nsx_interior_1-med.JPG

19401nsx_left_side-med.JPG

19401nsx_production_number-med.JPG

19401nsx_engine_1-med.JPG

19401nsx_right_side-med.JPG

Last edited:
Re: MT002856 checking in...check out my salvage nsx!!

They salvaged a 35K car for a re-paint and interior???????????

Oh Ive been having a great time scrubbing.......right lol. Yeah they salvaged it due to a domestic disturbance for some reason. Yeah it was over a woman from what I understood. I paid 25k for it, but Im going to do an intake, header, and exhaust too. I also ordered a set of 17/18 volk gt-cs today. Ill probably have 30k in it when all is said and done. You guys wouldnt believe how nice this car actually is. The paint is completely coming off the leather and there is absolutely no wear. Did I get a good deal? I think so, but I want everyones opinion. Ive owned 2 mkiv 6 speeds and 2 rx7 fds. This is my first nsx. Im still kinda new to these cars even though Im by no means new to the import scene. Im looking for all info possible. The search system is very helpful. So really, do you guys think I got a good deal? What should it be worth? Ill take pics all the way through, so when I decide to sell her in a few years, Ill be able to show exactly what was done. This car is all original with original PERFECT paint.

If you intend to sell it, don't do any mod'ng. You'll probably get more if its stock.

If you want to get a price baseline, check out the Market forum on this site...that'll give you an idea.

Regards,

I have checked that already, I just dont know how to calculate a previous salvage title.....oh well. Itll be worth a lot to me anyways. I didnt buy the car to sell.

d1 guy said:
I feel like this car is worth in the 35k range b/c it doesnt need anything and it was garaged all its life.
I wouldn't exactly say it doesn't need anything.:biggrin: But hopefully with a little elbow grease and TLC you will have something that will give you thrills for a long time. Congrats and welcome to Prime. :smile:

what I meant by doesnt need anything was that it doesnt need any parts. Just a lot of lovin. Any thoughts or comments are much appreciated. Thanks

d1 guy said:
I have checked that already, I just dont know how to calculate a previous salvage title.....oh well. Itll be worth a lot to me anyways. I didnt buy the car to sell.

Nice find! Will Mississippi issue a clear title once you have brought her back to new?

UPDATE

Check out what I did today.
removed door panel for cleaning
19401nsx_left_door_panel_removed-med.JPG

removed the phone
19401nsx_dead_phone-med.JPG

realized that I would have to buy a bose radio
19401nsx_destroyed_bose_unit-med.JPG

realized that I would have to buy a climate control
19401nsx_destroyed_climate_control-med.JPG

ordered full 4 piece nsx r carpet from a really nice guy on nsxprime
19401nsx_stained_carpet-med.JPG

started cleaning the steering wheel....it will look new tomorrow
19401nsx_interior_with_splash_effect-med.JPG

cleaned the right door panel to perfection and reinstalled it
19401nsx_right_door_panel_clean-med.JPG

I was lucky enough to find the climate control and bose head unit at downforce.biz. They had both from a 1998 that was from their show car. They gave me a really good deal. I ordered mats and a carbonfiber dash setup from scienceofspeed.com and they helped me out a lot also. I ordered my volk gt-c in diamond black from eric kerwin at titan motorsports. Im pretty excited about seeing this car come together. Any thoughts or comments are welcome. Thanks to everyone who is interested in my progress.

how was the interior ruin?? was the windor roll down??

The person that did it just opened the door and threw the paint in. It couldnt have been locked when it happened b/c the window isnt broken.

ChopsJazz said:
Mississippi? Man, that thing has "Katrina" written all over it! :eek:
Hmmm.....Katrina........in Baltimore........Maryland........read the posts before you comment lol. I live in MS. Katrina happened over a year ago at the very bottem of LA, MS, AL......not Maryland last weekend where I bought the car. And just so you know, I live in north MS, near TN and we didnt get any flooding....ever.

While you had the door panels off you should have installed the window fix-it thingy's. If you haven't done the drivers door yet you should consider the mod.

Hal_396 said:
While you had the door panels off you should have installed the window fix-it thingy's. If you haven't done the drivers door yet you should consider the mod.

Ok that sounds good. This is the kind of info that I need guys. The windows work fine now, but I understand that there is a few problem areas that will show up later on. I want to prevent this from happening. What items do I need to have worry free power windows? Im having keyless entry as soon as I get it finished. Ill have both panels off again. What do I need and where should I buy it. Thanks

now as for pbassjo

To get a salvage title changed to a clean title, you have to have before and after pics of the car at all four corners. If you buy any parts new, you have to keep up with the reciepts, if you buy them used, you have to provide the vin # the used parts came off of. Now once you have taken the pics and kept up with all your documents, you have to make an appointment with the DMV. It usually takes 2 weeks to get an appointment. You drive your car to them and take all your paperwork and pics. They will guide you to this garage where they preform inspections. This process takes about 2 hours. Once they are done, they stamp a form and send it in. You pay them 200 dollars and you will recieve a clean title in the mail in 2 weeks. If you pay 300, you will recieve the clean title in 3-4 business days. Its pretty easy, but they are strict. I know exactly what they need though b/c my family has been doing it for 25 years, so that makes it a lot easier.

to answer your other question, yes it does fall into the snap ring range. 0003865 I believe. Im not to worried b/c if it goes then Ill have the tranny rebuilt with a little beefier stuff. Probably go through scienceofspeed. The car only has 21k miles, so I dont figure itll go out right away. Im hoping that I can drive it for a year like it is before I have to spend 5k on the tranny rebuild and shorter gears.

The more I read about these cars the more interested I become . The story behind these cars is unbelievable. Hand built.....I mean really, I had a 2001 carrera cabriolet as a daily driver in 2002 and if I compared them, the porsche would fall short. The nsx has full leather on the dash, seats, console....the porsche was freakin partial leather. The power is about the same 296 for the carrera and 270 for the nsx, not much difference there. I may not go back to porsche for a long time.

d1 guy said:
...The more I read about these cars the more interested I become . The story behind these cars is unbelievable. Hand built..... The nsx has full leather on the dash, seats, console....the porsche was freakin partial leather.

Firstly, congrats on the car. You got a great deal and if you can clean the title with no evidence of it ever having a salvage that's incredible. Second, unfortunately the real leather surface is the fronts/side bolsters of the seats. Everything else, including the dash is pleather. A fully optioned Porsche has much more leather than an NSX, but that doesn't mean squat. Btw, I'm sure Hugh will be glad to know that you "may not got back to porsche for a long time." :smile:

DocL said:
Firstly, congrats on the car. You got a great deal and if you can clean the title with no evidence of it ever having a salvage that's incredible. Second, unfortunately the real leather surface is the fronts/side bolsters of the seats. Everything else, including the dash is pleather. A fully optioned Porsche has much more leather than an NSX, but that doesn't mean squat. Btw, I'm sure Hugh will be glad to know that you "may not got back to porsche for a long time." :smile:

Thanks Doc. The title will never show salvage again. It will be a clean original title, but Im sure you can still find its history on carfax or autocheck even though it doesnt show up salvage right now on carfax. It is nice to have a clean/clear title though (which I will have). As for the pleather....it certainly fooled me. It looks like the REAL stuff lol. Oh well. I do feel like you get much more of a car if you buy an 80k nsx opposed to an 80k carrera. You have to spend 100k to get the a fully equiped carrera 2....the carrera 4s fully equiped will send you into the 110s. Im pretty proud of this 91 nsx for obvisous reason lol.

Can anyone tell me exactly what I need for my windows? Thanks

DocL said:
Btw, I'm sure Hugh will be glad to know that you "may not got back to porsche for a long time." :smile:

I'm so overjoyed that I put on my chartreuse tutu and matching Capezios and I'm doing a happy dance while slamming a die cast 911 to smithereens with a baseball bat.

Back