• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 MT002856 checking in...check out my salvage nsx!!

Re: MT002856 checking in...check out my salvage nsx!!

d1 guy said:
wow...I would really like to see that :confused: :smile: :eek: :biggrin:
I'm not so sure of that :biggrin:

Wow I didn't know there were states that still allowed such a process.
Title washing at $200.00 a pop. Unbelievable.
Basically it's open season on the unwary used car buyer. After reading what you have posted here, I would never buy a car that went through a Mississippi reg/title process.

Judging from the damage in the pictures, the fact that it is in snap ring range and it has a salvage title and likely has the original timing belt/water pump, $25k is about right.

A 16 year old car, one even with low miles and stored, needs careful scrutiny of all belts, hoses, tires and likely needs all fluids flushed as well unless it has been done in the past two years or so.

Have you had it running and driven it much yet?

DocL said:
unfortunately the real leather surface is the fronts/side bolsters of the seats.

More from the NSX Prime FAQ: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/LeatherVinyl.htm
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><!--msnavigation--><TD vAlign=top><!--mstheme-->
<!--mstheme-->[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Leather<!--mstheme-->

<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]<!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
indbul1d.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Seat cushion (top)<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
indbul1d.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Seat bolsters<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
indbul1d.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Seat backrest<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
indbul1d.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Front side of the headrest<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
indbul1d.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Door panel inserts<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
indbul1d.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Shifter knob<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
indbul1d.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Steering wheel <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme--><!--mstheme-->[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Vinyl<!--mstheme-->

<!--mstheme-->[/FONT]<!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
indbul1d.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Sides of the seating cushion<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
indbul1d.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Parking brake lever<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
indbul1d.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Glovebox door<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
indbul1d.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Knee bolsters<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
indbul1d.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Back of the seat backrest<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>
indbul1d.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Dash<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

pbassjo said:
Basically it's open season on the unwary used car buyer. After reading what you have posted here, I would never buy a car that went through a Mississippi reg/title process.
QUOTE]

Ok first of all, any dmv can get you a clean title if you go through their tests and pass. ANY OF THEM. Ive had it done in 5 different states my self. You are required by law to tell the buyer if the car has had a salvage history though. It would be a very dumb thing to buy a car without a carfax or autocheck anyways. I have personally been through inspections at KY,AL, MS, FL, and LA. They all have a long process and inspection, but you can still get a salvage title turned clean. We are not talking about JUNK titles or UNREBUILDABLE titles. JUNK AND UNREBUILDABLES are forever that way....prettymuch. Salvage titles mean that the car is salvagable. Salvage isnt a bad thing. You have to have a clean title before you can get insurance and a tag. You cant get that with a salvage title, so obvisously every state has to offer some form of title restore. Even people in Cali can get a salvage title turned clean. As for the last part of your statement, just dont buy a car from someone you dont trust and dont buy one before doing a history check. Salvage vehicles like mine that dont have body damage are not bad investments. I think I got a really good price. If it had been damaged all over and I had to replace body panels then it would be a different story.

d1 guy said:
pbassjo said:
QUOTE]

Ok first of all, any dmv can get you a clean title if you go through their tests and pass. ANY OF THEM. Ive had it done in 5 different states my self. You are required by law to tell the buyer if the car has had a salvage history though. It would be a very dumb thing to buy a car without a carfax or autocheck anyways. I have personally been through inspections at KY,AL, MS, FL, and LA. They all have a long process and inspection, but you can still get a salvage title turned clean. We are not talking about JUNK titles or UNREBUILDABLE titles. JUNK AND UNREBUILDABLES are forever that way....prettymuch. Salvage titles mean that the car is salvagable. Salvage isnt a bad thing. You have to have a clean title before you can get insurance and a tag. You cant get that with a salvage title, so obvisously every state has to offer some form of title restore. Even people in Cali can get a salvage title turned clean. As for the last part of your statement, just dont buy a car from someone you dont trust and dont buy one before doing a history check. Salvage vehicles like mine that dont have body damage are not bad investments. I think I got a really good price. If it had been damaged all over and I had to replace body panels then it would be a different story.

Here in New York no matter what you do to a car, you can have the Pope sitting in the front seat when you get to the DMV inspection, once branded "salvage" the title stays branded "salvage".
I believe this is an excellent way to prevent consumer fraud and misrepresentation.

You asked "what you guys think" and I told you what I think. A known salvage history takes at least 20% off the value of a car, in addition if you subtract the cost of a timing belt and snap ring repairs you are under your $25k purchase price.
Buying salvage cars can give you the opportunity to buy a car you would not be able or want to buy otherwise. I truly hope you enjoy your car and have many years of pleasure from owning it as mine has for me.

If you are going to ask what people think and don't like or agree with the answers then why ask? You're happy? That's all that matters.

I am troubled by the title washing process you have outlined and know for a fact, personal experience, that it is not how it is done in NY.

Please enjoy your car and consider the maintenance suggestions I have made.

Congrats on the car. Looks like you got a good deal.

Off topic: I wonder what other states allow you to wash the title. I know Florida, and now MS. Need to put these states on my "Do not buy" list.

I think you got a good deal on this car, and just be happy with it. Different states will carry different prices so nothing is never "just this price". A very good deal I have seen recently was a 1993 black/black 5sp w/38K miles go asking for $23K here in California. I am not sure which prime member jumped on that but the posting lasted for only a few hours and is a steal in my eyes. Clean title as well including the 97+ wheels. The deal i assume was legit since a pic/phone number/and location was provided. Car was also garaged and clean. Moral of the story is: even if you find a deal, someone else will always get a better one. Just be happy with what you have and move on.

FYI: a 91 NSX retailed for about 60K not 80K

Oh Im very happy with it. I just thought that since a car was branded salvage then every state gave the option to have a full inspection process of cleaning up a title. I was pretty sure of that b/c I didnt think you could get a tag and insurance for a car with a salvage title. You cant in MS. If new york doesnt offer a clear process then why sell salvage cars at auctions if they can never be insured or tagged. They may offer a "rebuilt" title instead of a perfect clean title, but either way, they have to offer something besides a salvage title.....at least they should. Im certainly not doubting you or saying your wrong. I just think they would have to offer something besides a salvage title otherwise they should just label all of them as junk. Either way it couldnt be driven on the streets in either case or does NY offer some way of getting a tag and insurance on a salvage? That seems wayyyy to confusing, but then again it is the DMV.

Anyways I respect everyones opinion and I want to know what everyone thinks. I know that this car is worth more to me anyways b/c apparently just owning one of these is a "big" deal. You might see it up for sale in a few years, but only to buy a targa later. I bet I can get my money back out of it if I needed it though :) Youve all seen the before pics.....I cant wait to show the after pics.

Off topic but FYI since you asked:
You can buy a salvage vehicle in NY get it registered and drive it on the road.You can get liability insurance but I am unsure if you can get collision insurance on a salvage title vehicle if the insurance carrier is aware of the title status. The reason is simple.
Here collision/comprehensive insurance policies are based on the Actual Cash Value of the car (ACV). Determining the value based on condition, age, options is none too difficult but the value of a vehicle that has been damaged to the point of 75% of it's ACV and put back together is the problem.
It becomes branded as a way of protecting the unsuspecting buying public from folks that buy or retain ownership to these vehicles, meet the standard of rebuilding with no stolen parts and passing a standard NYS safety inspection.
They don't want people to pass them off as anything other than what they are, cars that had enough damage to be totaled.
Selling a car with a salvage title or any vehicle that has had damage that meets or exceeds 75% of it's retail value and not disclosing that to the buyer prior to the sale is a crime in NY and that law is for all sellers, dealers and private individual sales.

Bearing that in mind salvage buyers from states that do not have such laws in place, such as Mississippi are willing to pay more for a salvage vehicle than most bidders based in NY and consequently feel they are getting a good deal when they do so since they can erase the salvage history if they want. Doing so could raise the market fetching price of the car to that of a car that did not suffer such a consequence, possibly by thousands of dollars.

Buying a salvage car with damage that the buyer feels they can remedy within their budget makes it a good buying opportunity, like for example, this fellow here has done.

I'd buy a salvage NSX for the right price too if I could. I'd make a track car out of it and never register it at all.

Its sad for for those cars with minor damage/theft recoveries that get totaled b/c of other issues besides damage calculations. Oh well, I learned something new about NY. Thanks for the info. Ill have pics up tomorrow of my progress. I got a lot done today. I should be way further tomorrow.

On another note, I really like this forum. Its not like supra forums, club4ag, or nicoclub. Everyone here is dedicated to one purpose. There is only one NSX and thats what makes this club so great. Everyone shows respect and it seems like everyone is appreciated.

Welcome to NSX Prime,

Here you can talk about anything you want to as long as NSX is the subject!!LOL:biggrin:

Sounds and looks like you got a nice car. After you get to put in some elbow grease and build some pride of ownership you will get to drive your car and enjoy it. They are a blast to cruise in. If you are going to keep your car for a while and it sounds like you want to do the work on it, get a factory service manual, it is a two book set. I think that I paid about $60 for them. Best $60 you will spend. The manual is put together as well as the car.

Just a few things to thing about for the near future:

1. If the tires are original they are now 15 years old. I would be very careful of going over 70 mph. IMHO.

2. The timing belt is also 15 years old. I would not take a chance on it. A broken timing belt will take your good deal and put it into the toilet. :eek:

3. Check the Acura maintenance record, have to get it from a dealer, and see if the waterpump service bullitin was done. It changed an early design waterpump to the updated one. Not sure if your VIN needed this or not. Something to check.

4. A complete fluid flush would also be a consideration. Coolant, brake fluid, trans fluid, clutch fluid and ABS brake fluid. Any moisture that has accumulated there needs to get out.

5. I would pull off, at least, the front valve cover and look at the inside of the engine. This will tell you a lot about how the engine was maintained. Take a look at the pictures of the inside of my engine under OLDMNSX in the picture GALLERY. If you can't find then give me a PM and I will help you find them. They aren't exactly easy to find, or maybe it's just me.

6. Let me know if you want to get rid of the radio and climate control. That looks like a real challenge.:wink:

7. When you do the oil changes, DO NOT use anything but a OEM ACURA oil filter. They are designed for the high pressure oil system. Do what you want, but there have been guys that have lost engines due to Non-OEM filter failure. Take if for what it's worth.

8. Almost forgot, this snap ring problem. Read up in the FAQ section here on Prime about this. I think that you may have some preconceived misconceptions about this problem. Get educated and know the consequences.

Have fun,
Brad

Wow thanks very much for all the info. I have wheels and tires on the way. I plan on having all the service required for a 15 year old car done within the next month or so. I really would like to know a ball park figure of what it would cost to do the service work like timing belt, water pump, and all hoses....along with the snap ring fix. I already have the hoses and oil filter from Acura. I asked the question in the discussion section. Maybe Ill get an answer there. I forgot to take pics of my progress today, so Ill get a few tomorrow. It really is coming along quiet well. Anymore help and info would be great.

thumbs up on an awesome find man.

d1 guy said:
Let me know what you guys think itll be worth when I have it perfect.
Ok
d1 guy said:
What should it be worth? Ill take pics all the way through, so when I decide to sell her in a few years,
ok
d1 guy said:
You might see it up for sale in a few years
ok
d1 guy said:
I didnt buy the car to sell.
:confused:
d1 guy said:
apparently just owning one of these is a "big" deal.
It is?:confused:

I buy cars to sell all the time.....keeping one for a few years is a huge deal for me. Obviously. I appreciate you trying to make me sound like an idiot though. Props to you....shows a lot about your character. Anyways, I have a used dealers liscense and have access to many salvage yards (like copart) and non salvage yards (like adessa), so for me to keep a car for even 6 months is a big deal to me. To keep one for a few years is huge for me. I really like this car and I think it is a big deal to own one. I dont guess you think it is and your entitled to your opinion. Im just saying that this car is a bigger deal to me than my 996 was and that was a car that I really enjoyed.

d1 guy said:
I buy cars to sell all the time.....keeping one for a few years is a huge deal for me. Obviously. I appreciate you trying to make me sound like an idiot though. Props to you....shows a lot about your character.
Not trying to do anything. Just trying to understand what you true intentions are since you keep saying different things with each post.

pbassjo said:
If you are going to ask what people think and don't like or agree with the answers then why ask? You're happy? That's all that matters
Very well put.

d1 guy said:
Ive got around 7 hours of straight cleaning on my seats alone. Here is the results.....Just like new.

Wow those look awsome! Can you do my seats next?

John McCain Racing said:
Wow those look awsome! Can you do my seats next?

Bring them to my shop. Ill go buy some more tooth brushes and 3m adhesive remover :biggrin:

:biggrin:Ill have a lot of pics up tomorrow. Be sure to check back. Ive got a lot taken care of on this car!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'm very happy for this NSX.

It has found the rightful owner who wouldn't abandon it in its rainy days.

Back