• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 MT002856 checking in...check out my salvage nsx!!

Re: MT002856 checking in...check out my salvage nsx!!

You certianly deserve an "A" for effort. It always takes a good eye to realize that somethings are only cosmetic and can be fixed with a little time and a lot of elbow grease.

Ok guys I promised an update, so here it is. :biggrin: The exterior is no where near finished, but it is better than it was. The interior is pretty much clean. I just have to vac out the paint chips that you see all over the floor pan and finish the steering wheel. I plan on pulling it off tomorrow along with the column. It is also getting buffed on tuesday. Hopefully by then Ill have the interior finished. It is coming along quiet well though. Im pretty excited. Im dying to get this thing on the road!! Anyways let me know what you think.

19401nsx_right_side1-med.JPG

19401nsx_front_right1-med.JPG

19401nsx_front_left-med.JPG

19401nsx_rear_left-med.JPG

19401nsx_front-med.JPG

19401nsx_rear1-med.JPG

19401nsx_right_rear-med.JPG

19401nsx_left_side1-med.JPG

19401nsx_door_panel_clean1-med.JPG

19401nsx_clean_arm_rest_2-med.JPG

19401nsx_new_mats-med.JPG

19401nsx_drivers_side_interior-med.JPG

19401nsx_passenger_side_interior1-med.JPG

Wow. Major props. I like that you don't waste any time getting the job done. I'm glad this NSX fell into your hands. Gotta love it having only 21k miles, too!

The pictures didn't show up for me until today. You have done an incredible job at cleaning up the car. :smile:

Wow, that paint got everywhere!! She's either super crazy or he did something really stupid...:tongue:

I like how the person probably chucked it in the car, then realizing there was a bit left in the can just stood over the hood and drained the rest.

Hmm....They apparently started working. I have updated pics, but I cant post them b/c the nicoclub gallery is down. I dont know how to upload the photos to nsxprimes gallery, otherwise Id be using it instead on nico. Could someone please pm me and tell me how to use/upload photos through primes gallery? Do you have to have a certain number of posts or something? Thanks and trust me, you want to see the update :)

Try this link to see my photo gallery of the updates. Maybe it will work.
http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=57421009/a=60477349_60477349/t_=60477349

edit:had to change file names for storage purposes. will be back up soon

I really wish you guys could see this car in person. It turned out perfect. Its pretty amazing. It even smells new. No doubt, I have never driven anything with this much thrill. These cars are truly amazing. Absolutely everything cleaned up and it looks like it just rolled of the show room floor in 1991. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

Nice 1991 with low miles...welcome to the club.

So, what do you guys think this car is worth now? In all honesty, is it worth somewhere between 30-35? Im really curious to know if I could get my money back out of it if I needed to. I have 30k in it but that includes new comptech exhaust, cantrell ais, and volk 17 and 18 gt-c wheels (new on order). Any opinions would be great. I know the title thing will hurt it a bit, but as nice as it is with only 21k miles and never having a body panel replaced then I dont think it should hurt it much. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited:

If you save all of the pictures to document why the car was sold with a salvage title, you may not lose too much on the car when/if you decide to sell it.

d1 guy said:
To get a salvage title changed to a clean title, you have to have before and after pics of the car at all four corners. If you buy any parts new, you have to keep up with the reciepts, if you buy them used, you have to provide the vin # the used parts came off of. Now once you have taken the pics and kept up with all your documents, you have to make an appointment with the DMV. It usually takes 2 weeks to get an appointment. You drive your car to them and take all your paperwork and pics. They will guide you to this garage where they preform inspections. This process takes about 2 hours. Once they are done, they stamp a form and send it in. You pay them 200 dollars and you will recieve a clean title in the mail in 2 weeks. If you pay 300, you will recieve the clean title in 3-4 business days. Its pretty easy, but they are strict. I know exactly what they need though b/c my family has been doing it for 25 years, so that makes it a lot easier.

You have salvage papers when you bought the car, not a title. When you do get the title back after the inspection, it will be branded, not clean.

pbassjo said:
d1 guy said:
Here in New York no matter what you do to a car, you can have the Pope sitting in the front seat when you get to the DMV inspection, once branded "salvage" the title stays branded "salvage".
I believe this is an excellent way to prevent consumer fraud and misrepresentation.

You asked "what you guys think" and I told you what I think. A known salvage history takes at least 20% off the value of a car, in addition if you subtract the cost of a timing belt and snap ring repairs you are under your $25k purchase price.
Buying salvage cars can give you the opportunity to buy a car you would not be able or want to buy otherwise. I truly hope you enjoy your car and have many years of pleasure from owning it as mine has for me.

If you are going to ask what people think and don't like or agree with the answers then why ask? You're happy? That's all that matters.

I am troubled by the title washing process you have outlined and know for a fact, personal experience, that it is not how it is done in NY.

Please enjoy your car and consider the maintenance suggestions I have made.

He can't clean the title the way he says he can!

pbassjo said:
Off topic but FYI since you asked:
You can buy a salvage vehicle in NY get it registered and drive it on the road.You can get liability insurance but I am unsure if you can get collision insurance on a salvage title vehicle if the insurance carrier is aware of the title status. The reason is simple.
Here collision/comprehensive insurance policies are based on the Actual Cash Value of the car (ACV). Determining the value based on condition, age, options is none too difficult but the value of a vehicle that has been damaged to the point of 75% of it's ACV and put back together is the problem.
It becomes branded as a way of protecting the unsuspecting buying public from folks that buy or retain ownership to these vehicles, meet the standard of rebuilding with no stolen parts and passing a standard NYS safety inspection.
They don't want people to pass them off as anything other than what they are, cars that had enough damage to be totaled.
Selling a car with a salvage title or any vehicle that has had damage that meets or exceeds 75% of it's retail value and not disclosing that to the buyer prior to the sale is a crime in NY and that law is for all sellers, dealers and private individual sales.

Bearing that in mind salvage buyers from states that do not have such laws in place, such as Mississippi are willing to pay more for a salvage vehicle than most bidders based in NY and consequently feel they are getting a good deal when they do so since they can erase the salvage history if they want. Doing so could raise the market fetching price of the car to that of a car that did not suffer such a consequence, possibly by thousands of dollars.

Buying a salvage car with damage that the buyer feels they can remedy within their budget makes it a good buying opportunity, like for example, this fellow here has done.

I'd buy a salvage NSX for the right price too if I could. I'd make a track car out of it and never register it at all.

Also the new game being played is to buy a salvage car, repair it for less than ACV, then total it again, collect the book value which is higher than the money that is invested. This is one of the reasons why insurance companies are not insuring branded titles.

I would like to see a link to MS law that allows the buyer of a salvage title car to wash it clean. I am positive there is no such process and that this car will come back with rebuilt on the title. I have personally rebuilt many cars from all over the US and there is no way to wash a title through the DMV. There is how ever ways to wash a title by registration of the car through several different states.

steveny said:
Also the new game being played is to buy a salvage car, repair it for less than ACV, then total it again, collect the book value which is higher than the money that is invested. This is one of the reasons why insurance companies are not insuring branded titles.

I would like to see a link to MS law that allows the buyer of a salvage title car to wash it clean. I am positive there is no such process and that this car will come back with rebuilt on the title. I have personally rebuilt many cars from all over the US and there is no way to wash a title through the DMV. There is how ever ways to wash a title by registration of the car through several different states.

I agree. Although I've only been in the business 8 years, once the title has been marked "salvage" there's no way to wash it back to a "clean title". Won't Carfax have a salvage record on the VIN too?

John McCain Racing said:
I agree. Although I've only been in the business 8 years, once the title has been marked "salvage" there's no way to wash it back to a "clean title". Won't Carfax have a salvage record on the VIN too?

Carfax will show the mark on the record of title. But IMO Carfax is a joke.
I crashed a Lightning pick up a few years back, head on collision, I bought it back from my insurance company and repaired it myself, had to replace the entire front end and the frame, the title was and still is clean. As a matter of fact that particular truck has been in two accidents since the one I had and has had 5 different owners, all of which does not show on carfax. If you want the real history of any automobile you need access to the insurance companies data base, that is the real deal no BS report.

No one is condeming you. I just don't think you can wash the title the way you think you can, thats all. Can you show a link to MS law that shows how this process works?

In the state of Washington, if a car is paid off in a total loss claim by an insurance company it gets a "Salvage" title...then if you want to drive it on the road after it is repaired, you need to get a state inspection, then you can get tags and registration for it,BUT it will still have a "Salvage" title.

You say you have a salvage title now,and your saying that after you get it inspected they will send you a new title?.....never heard of that...sounds suspect at best...the only way I can think of that this would work is if you live in a state that has no salvage titles,and you bought the car from another state that does,...some states do not...or at least some haven't in the past, the laws may have changed by now.

d1 guy said:
No, I dont know where it is on the web. I can get you their phone number on monday and you can call them. Tell them that you are a MS dealer and you want to get your salvage car inspected for a clean title. First theyll ask for 2 sets of 4 pics. Theyll want all four corners taken twice. Then theyll ask if you have all your reciepts and vins (if you used parts from another car). Then they will tell you that there is a fee. After all this, they will set up an appointment for you. Usually takes two weeks and then two weeks after the appointment, youll recieve your new original title. This original title is good in every state. Ill get you that number on monday. After you call them and confirm that I am correct then I would like for you to confirm this on this thread.

WOW!!...if this is correct, THATS REALLY SHITTY!!...that the state of MS is washing titles for dealers of totalled cars?...I guess I will never buy a car with a MS title:rolleyes:

wow I give up. Everyone was nice when I first got on here. Gees. Its not a bad thing to get a title cleaned. In my cases, I dont buy cars that need a lot of work. If they have a lot of damage then I wont buy them. All I ever buy is theft recoveries and lightly damaged cars. The insurance companies will total just about anything. If a car is stolen for more than 3 weeks, the insurance company will pay off on it thus giving it a salvage title when it is found. These cars may have never had damage at all, but they will carry a salvage title. In this case and other light damaged cars, getting a title cleaned is a good thing. If a car carries a junk title or unrebuildable title then there is no way to get a clean.

d1 guy said:
I really would like to know a ball park figure of what it would cost to do the service work like timing belt, water pump, and all hoses....along with the snap ring fix. I already have the hoses and oil filter from Acura.
The timing belt and water pump are typically $1200-1500 including parts and labor. A 30K/60K/etc service, including a valve adjustment and all fluids and filters, is typically $800-1100. The biggest cost for the snap ring fix is the 8-12 hours it takes to open up the transmission and put it back together; at hourly rates of $80-110, you can do the math. The parts for the snap ring fix are another $700-1000.

d1 guy said:
So, what do you guys think this car is worth now? In all honesty, is it worth somewhere between 30-35?
Not in my opinion. A pristine, well-maintained NSX with 21K miles might be worth $34-37K. I think the salvage title in the history reduces its value by more than $4K.

zahntech said:
In the state of Washington, if a car is paid off in a total loss claim by an insurance company it gets a "Salvage" title...then if you want to drive it on the road after it is repaired, you need to get a state inspection, then you can get tags and registration for it,BUT it will still have a "Salvage" title.

Mostly Correct. If the car is paid off by the insurance company the original title is destroyed and salvage papers are issued. An inspection is required to apply for a new title, but that title will have REBUILT or SALVAGE printed on it. To the best of my knowledge this is how it works nationwide.

Back