• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

nsx engine swap question

Hey guys I just bought nsx body that I plan on making my project car. Has anyone ever done any kind of engine swap like put in a supra engine or anything like that? I dont want to put in a stock engine for that fact of the price and lack of power, since I plan on taking this car to the track when its done. Thanks in advance

Chris

Hey guys I just bought nsx body that I plan on making my project car. Has anyone ever done any kind of engine swap like put in a supra engine or anything like that? I dont want to put in a stock engine for that fact of the price and lack of power, since I plan on taking this car to the track when its done. Thanks in advance

Chris

What !!!
Why ???

you can try this http://www.zcars.org.uk/index.htm

As I said its cheaper and faster, This car is gonna be a track car I didnt buy it because im an advid nsx driver, I just think it looks good for my project/race car body.

no one has ever done engine swap into an NSX. So you'll be the first one. Good luck and keep us posted. bye.

The amount of time and money you will spend to adapt a non standard engine and drive line to an NSX will far exceed what you can pick up a stock engine for. The issue you will have to address is getting something that will fit in the engine bay. This topic comes up here frequently but I have never seen a project even started let alone completed to a finished drivable car.

Its gonna be a LOT of work! Take that used engine and build it up, you can probably get forced induction in there and still spend less than what all the fabricating will cost you for an engine swap. But if you can stuff a W16 in there, I wanna see it.

:biggrin: Please do the swap we need a first person. To show everyone else why not to.

no one has ever done engine swap into an NSX. So you'll be the first one. Good luck and keep us posted. bye.

classic. this is exactly what the kid wanted to hear.

thanks for all the input, thats a good deal for that engine that needs rebuilt. But I may still do the conversion, I have an upgraded 3000gt vr4 that puts out 570hp to the wheels that I work on all the time cuz shit is always going wrong so stuffing a supra engine in an nsx cant be imposible. I cant believe no had tried it yet.

As I said its cheaper and faster, This car is gonna be a track car I didnt buy it because im an advid nsx driver, I just think it looks good for my project/race car body.

It might be faster down a quarter-mile or other straight-line performance measurement but if you ever get it done it certainly won't be cheaper. Not by a long shot. I think a project like this could be rewarding in the end if it's a show car; the novelty is there. But it would always remain a project car, as little problems would continually crop up. Ask anyone who's done a drastic engine-swap such as what you're considering.

One thing to keep in mind is that you'd have a hard time getting rid of it later (except/unless to another "project-minded" person) because very few people would want that particular frankenstein, no matter its performance. And you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone to take it off your hands since you'll likely have to cut up and/or weld to the engine compartment, making a restoral to an original NSX more difficult than another body-only sale.

Good luck if you decide to follow through on your desire. If/once you're ever finished, revive this thread and post pics. Actually, start a new thread and document your progress as you go.

J

thanks for all the input, thats a good deal for that engine that needs rebuilt. But I may still do the conversion, I have an upgraded 3000gt vr4 that puts out 570hp to the wheels that I work on all the time cuz shit is always going wrong so stuffing a supra engine in an nsx cant be imposible. I cant believe no had tried it yet.

Why don't you just buy a Supra and put a NSX body kit on it, Much easier and leave the NSX alone. It does not deserve this kind of abuse. Have you ever driven or ride in a NSX? May answer alot of your questions once you actually driven one.:rolleyes:

If you can work on a VR4, then swapping a 2JZ into an NSX ought to be no problem.

That really is a good idea, and I can't believe nobody thought of that before! I wouldn't worry about what everyone else things, I think you can do it. Frankly, this ought to be no problem for someone of your expertise. The OEM stuff is crap quality and really expensive anyway. You know what you are doing. Engineer the rest of us up a better, cheaper and more powerful solution. When it is done think of all the money you can make by selling kits!

Someone pass the popcorn, please?

You can swap the engine for a NSX-R engine from Japan which is a blueprinted racing engine that Honda claims produces 280 horsepower:rolleyes: but when dyno'd the thing gave around 320 hp and 300+ lbs of torque at the crank. (Which we all knew since the car was scoring victories over Ferrari's and Lambo's)

If you can work on a VR4, then swapping a 2JZ into an NSX ought to be no problem.

That really is a good idea, and I can't believe nobody thought of that before! I wouldn't worry about what everyone else things, I think you can do it. Frankly, this ought to be no problem for someone of your expertise. The OEM stuff is crap quality and really expensive anyway. You know what you are doing. Engineer the rest of us up a better, cheaper and more powerful solution. When it is done think of all the money you can make by selling kits!

Someone pass the popcorn, please?

I love sick sarcasm!

No but really. Why would you want a 2jz? A its not going to fit. B its great for drag racing but if you want to drag race then get a supra and like the others said leave the nsx alone and C The 3sgte would be a much better choice as it is much cheaper and still can make tons of power. Also very light!

BTW probably alot easier to mount in a MR platform :wink:

A Fiero engine might work. :tongue: Those lambo guys seem to like them.

Dont see a Supra straight 6 going into the NSX.

you know the engine in the nsx sits sideways right? how do you expect to fit a straight 6 along with a custom transaxle sideways into a nsx body?

that alone would shoot your idea down the drain. now if you would swap in a SR20DET or a 4G63 thats a more interesting swap. you'll have a lighter engine that can hold 500whp and can rev higher than the C30a.

if you decide its a waste of time, drop me a PM when you sell the shell. I'd be interested =)

I would consider the new C-6 Z06 Corvette V-8 it puts out like 500 plus HP stock and should provide the thrust to weight ratio you seek. Well, darn, that other car you mentioned already has 570 HP.....so I guess that the Z06 might not have enough HP but then again, you could probably spin that up to 700 HP pretty easy, right? Keep us all posted once you graduate from middle school.

If you could read cairo then maybe you could comment on my post, maybe your the one in middle school. As I said this is a track car I have a vr4 that pust out 500+ to the wheels, thats not enoght power for what im trying to do,. I am looking to put out 800hp to the wheels and for me to make my vr4 that fast would take a considerable amount of time and money, besides that car is done and I wanted to try somthing new. I guess your not addicted to power like me considering you drive a prius and accord. Talk at me when you learn how to race...lol.

^^^

I feel you. All the rest of the peeps are just posers. 2JZ and boost is 800HP and a track monster EZ. All you have to do is a little simple fab and it will be all in the hater's faces. You don't need to listen to all these people. Have faith in yourself and your vision.

220, 221 whatever it takes /chevy chase

i think u could get any for of a small block in an nsx... id never do it but i think u could. maybe a newer acura V6 motor i.e TL type S or something...

Good luck.....I hope you have deep pockets.

Back