• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

600whp EVO to NSX - Thoughts?

It's been a long road to get to this point, and I've almost made it in the past, but just couldn't pull the trigger. Like many others I'm sure, I started my quest toward NSX ownership at eight years old when they were released and the obsession began. In 2005 when I bought my EVO I almost purchased an NSX instead, but with the DSM background I'd built over the previous five years I just couldn't get away from the nearly unlimited overall performance potential of an AWD DSM.

Maybe I should've driven an NSX (still haven't driven one to this day) prior to purchasing my EVO, but with my post-college career heavily invested into the automotive aftermarket and guinea pig opportunities for free parts in exchange for company development use of my EVO, I went that route. I've now moved from the fickle aftermarket industry to OEM and am much happier, but my tastes have evolved as well. While I've built the EVO to be my practical supercar (a task it accomplishes very well), it just doesn't inspire me anymore.

Perhaps the problem is aesthetics, I mean, it's 2" lower than factory and I still stand upright washing the roof. It isn't too terribly heavy (3300lbs) but it looks like one of the land yachts of the 70s when parked next to my GSX. It accelerates like a bat out of hell, stops just as quickly, and handles like crazy, so I guess I'm just a bit concerned that the performance of a stock NSX will leave me disappointed. Granted, the NSX in my opinion is the best looking car ever produced and only gets better with some mild body mods, suspension and wheels, but am I going to be disappointed with the straight line? I know I need to drive one, just would like opinions from those who know best. I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Tom

Coming from a 500whp 350z, I know where you are coming from. :D Do I miss the boost? Not really, the NSX is a a totally different type of car. It could use some more power, but that can be accomplished with some of the reliable FI options available for the NSX. Personally, I kinda prefer a NA car with a nice linear power curve with superior handling. The looks, exclusivity, and the other factors I mentioned make the NSX a superior purchase (bias aside). :)

Is the Evo extremely driver friendly, is it extremely reliable, is it extremely sexy, do you feel extremely giddy everytime you open the garage door?

Last edited:
Yeah I sold my 06 evo with a precision sc61 and got my nsx. Would definitely do it again.

Is the Evo extremely driver friendly, is it extremely reliable, is it extremely sexy, do you feel extremely giddy everytime you open the garage door?

LOL! Well put my friend!

I've never had a car that puts a smile on my face just from seeing it sit there. I feel like a 12 year old school girl who hannah montana live!

Coming from a 500whp 350z, I know where you are coming from. :D Do I miss the boost? Not really, the NSX is a a totally different type of car. It could use some more power, but that can be accomplished with some of the reliable FI options available for the NSX. Personally, I kinda prefer a NA car with a nice linear power curve with superior handling. The looks, exclusivity, and the other factors I mentioned make the NSX a superior purchase (bias aside). :)

Thanks for the insight. I think it's inevitable that mine will be turbocharged at some point but I agree that the looks and handling will probably last me a while before the boost bug bites again :)

Yep. Go drive one. All the opinions in the world aren't going to make a difference if you don't like driving it.

And a 600 hp EVO and a stock NSX couldn't be less similar. You may be disappointed with the power.

Have you driven an EVO by chance? I'm going to try to get a test drive in at some point in the next two weeks so we'll see. I really love how easy the EVO is to drive at the limit, and even when it lets go it makes a novice seem like a pro...so I'm hoping the experience is similar in a different way.

You really should drive an EVO :) You might just have to add one to your stable if those are the characteristics you like in a performance car...well, excepting the extremely sexy, haha :biggrin:

Yeah I sold my 06 evo with a precision sc61 and got my nsx. Would definitely do it again.

Awesome, thanks!

LOL! Well put my friend!

I've never had a car that puts a smile on my face just from seeing it sit there. I feel like a 12 year old school girl who hannah montana live!

This is exactly how I want to feel. I want to head for the garage with my only intention being to admire the car :smile:

Tom

Your evo sounds very impressive. VERY. But you are comparing two way different cars.

Evo, You see them fairly often, Maybe not as much as a vette but there is no unique WOW factor when you see one.

NSX, Everyday is a great day. It as Mike ( nsxlvr ) said is like a giddy feeling when you see it sitting there. Then comes the pure excitement knowing its YOURS and YOU get to drive it away. Before you ask if I have driven an evo.. Yes A bunch of them. Some with more power than yours. I used to be into DSM and loved the power I couldmake them produce but there is no feeling to the car other than that. Its fast:rolleyes: good. The only tickle I have in one is my stomach when it goes fast. Imagine that feeling when you just see the car!!

That is what you would gain with the NSX. :biggrin:

p.s. Take my bias into account if you wish:biggrin:

An EVO is a very fun tuner friendly car. These are totally different rides. I am not so sure you would like the NSX if you want the power. The NSX is a reliable exotic that gets attention and costs a lot to mod. The Evo is a car that you can throw 5-6k into and have a 11 second rocket. I have a TT335i so I like the boost feeling too. I have a feeling if you drive one you might change your thoughts. Don't buy it for speed honestly. It will probably not be your choice for that. There are faster cars. However, I love the car for its design and engineering and little stuff. It is expensive to mod but I have always liked it.

You'll miss the back seat and maybe the trunk.

You'll miss the cheap aftermarket crap.

You won't miss the shifter or the transmission.

Choose wisely and you won't miss the power. Might I suggest a Lovefab turbo?

OP- This is exactly what I was going to say! This morning I literally struggled in my car park trying to decide which vehicle to take - my Jeep GC SRT8 or the NSX. I stood there for a few minutes and deducted that as I need to visit our Port this morning I won't take the NSX.

Its this sort of lust and feeling that the NSX inspires. I have lots of mates here in Dubai that own EVO's that are wickedly fast and insane. But at the end of the day they are a Lancer on steroids and look (sorry and I know I'll get flamed for this) Boy racer.

The NSX is pure exotic and although not near as fast as a very well tuned and prepped EVO still evokes a thrill with subtle mods. Get a targa and you'll love the open air feeling and I think adds to the look of the NSX (roof off).

Got an EVO 8.5 MR in the garage (one of my nephew's) drove it couple of times. This is no 600whp EVO. But no shy of power by any means.From driving the car, for me it lacks "character"(difficult to define per say) .
Which is not the case with an NSX, or even R33 GTR(we used to have that too)- the only two Japanese performance car to date which I felt connected to when driving it .
Just try to get a test drive in an NSX to have 1st hand experience. Car are not all about the power, but balance - IMO.
Good luck.

The EVO is a great car for what it is. I wouldn't mind having it as a track car. They are damn fast and have that AWD feeling too. The interior lacks anything to brag about though or the rest of the car. At the end of the day you still have a Mitsubishi.

Honestly, I am losing interest in the NSX and might get used 996 instead. I am digging the German cars more.

your comparing apples to oranges, both cars offer a great experience thats different(but very cool in their own ways) mild vs wild.

but if you want to compare wild vs wild, last time i checked, an nsx was the car handing everybody thier asses at time attack:wink:

good luck, because its a tough choice, 4dr vs 2dr, 600hp vs 300hp, rwd vs awd, front engine vs mid engine, baller car status vs boy racer status, a hot blonde vs a freaky whore of a red head.

Your evo sounds very impressive. VERY. But you are comparing two way different cars.

Evo, You see them fairly often, Maybe not as much as a vette but there is no unique WOW factor when you see one.

NSX, Everyday is a great day. It as Mike ( nsxlvr ) said is like a giddy feeling when you see it sitting there. Then comes the pure excitement knowing its YOURS and YOU get to drive it away. Before you ask if I have driven an evo.. Yes A bunch of them. Some with more power than yours. I used to be into DSM and loved the power I couldmake them produce but there is no feeling to the car other than that. Its fast:rolleyes: good. The only tickle I have in one is my stomach when it goes fast. Imagine that feeling when you just see the car!!

That is what you would gain with the NSX. :biggrin:

p.s. Take my bias into account if you wish:biggrin:

There is a distinct difference between the performance and capability of the 90-99 DSMs and the EVO, but I hear what you're saying :)

An EVO is a very fun tuner friendly car. These are totally different rides. I am not so sure you would like the NSX if you want the power. The NSX is a reliable exotic that gets attention and costs a lot to mod. The Evo is a car that you can throw 5-6k into and have a 11 second rocket. I have a TT335i so I like the boost feeling too. I have a feeling if you drive one you might change your thoughts. Don't buy it for speed honestly. It will probably not be your choice for that. There are faster cars. However, I love the car for its design and engineering and little stuff. It is expensive to mod but I have always liked it.

I wouldn't say an NSX is super expensive to mod if you choose wisely. Considering the pedigree I'd say it's one of the least expensive in its class of vehicles to modify...but then compared to power per dollar extracted from a factory turbocharged car, yes they are expensive to modify, haha.

You'll miss the back seat and maybe the trunk.

You'll miss the cheap aftermarket crap.

You won't miss the shifter or the transmission.

Choose wisely and you won't miss the power. Might I suggest a Lovefab turbo?

I prefer the word inexpensive :) You can buy high quality parts for relatively little money for an EVO, so the value is there with so much competition in the aftermarket for that car.

I agree that getting locked out of 2nd gear at 8000RPM is getting a bit tiring. The shifter hasn't been smooth from day one, but the stock transmission has held up to 8-second passes and 1117whp on another EVO build of which I was a part. A bit more refinement surely would be nice in every aspect of the vehicle, which is part of why I'm ready for a change.

Lovefab does do a good job with their kit and I'll likely be headed that route after the thrill of some suspension, an intake and exhaust passes.

OP- This is exactly what I was going to say! This morning I literally struggled in my car park trying to decide which vehicle to take - my Jeep GC SRT8 or the NSX. I stood there for a few minutes and deducted that as I need to visit our Port this morning I won't take the NSX.

Its this sort of lust and feeling that the NSX inspires. I have lots of mates here in Dubai that own EVO's that are wickedly fast and insane. But at the end of the day they are a Lancer on steroids and look (sorry and I know I'll get flamed for this) Boy racer.

The NSX is pure exotic and although not near as fast as a very well tuned and prepped EVO still evokes a thrill with subtle mods. Get a targa and you'll love the open air feeling and I think adds to the look of the NSX (roof off).

I've been eyeing the targa hard because this would be a sunny day only rig. Since there's no sunroof in the hardtop I think that's the way to go!

Got an EVO 8.5 MR in the garage (one of my nephew's) drove it couple of times. This is no 600whp EVO. But no shy of power by any means.From driving the car, for me it lacks "character"(difficult to define per say) .
Which is not the case with an NSX, or even R33 GTR(we used to have that too)- the only two Japanese performance car to date which I felt connected to when driving it .
Just try to get a test drive in an NSX to have 1st hand experience. Car are not all about the power, but balance - IMO.
Good luck.

In stock bottled up form they aren't super impressive unless you're driving them at the limit in the twisties. Open up the air flow a bit, add a little fuel some cooling and a little tuning and it develops quite the personality under any spirited driving condition :)

The EVO is a great car for what it is. I wouldn't mind having it as a track car. They are damn fast and have that AWD feeling too. The interior lacks anything to brag about though or the rest of the car. At the end of the day you still have a Mitsubishi.

Honestly, I am losing interest in the NSX and might get used 996 instead. I am digging the German cars more.

I agree about the interior not being particularly inspiring, but am not passionate about the NSX because it's some kind of status symbol. It's almost unfortunate how much attention the EVO gets, but not from people you'd want paying attention. I got tons more attention from women driving my old lame E46 325ci than in the EVO which I hesitate to call a d**k magnet, but it's the truth!

Tom

Last edited:
Have you driven an EVO by chance? I'm going to try to get a test drive in at some point in the next two weeks so we'll see. I really love how easy the EVO is to drive at the limit, and even when it lets go it makes a novice seem like a pro...so I'm hoping the experience is similar in a different way. Tom

Not a 600 hp one. :wink:

Anyway, the cars are so totally different that no opinion is going to suffice. The NSX is a totally different driving experience. I think you'll appreciate how smooth and tight it is and for what it is (2-seat MR exotic coupe) it's as pleasant as it gets.

Again, coming from 600 hp EVO rocket you may be disappointed with the NSX's straight-line power although it has surprising low-end power. Anyways, a CTSC and the Type-R suspension can make the NSX very, very quick and competitive with just about any modern exotic (Gallardo, F430 etc.)

Like asking if you should buy an apartment or a house, look at what you want from the car, decide.

My criteria for any car is: Japanese, rear wheel drive, coupe. So no amount of horsepower in a sedan will affect my choice. Good luck:smile:

just reading your replies, i just don't think you're ready to MOVE on from your evo.

as time goes on maybe you'll start to lose interest in your EVO but not now.

Get the NSX so long as you fess-up upfront that inevitably the tuner/FI/speed crack-pipe will be calling and you will not be able to resist. Obviously you were drawn into this "trap" with the EVO and you will again with the NSX.

Find someone to let you drive any FI NSX and I think you will be hooked. There is no more thrilling, enjoyable, all-around, reliable car than this.

hi0npsi, I've been in you're shoes. I owned DSM's, Cobras, and had to have a EVO when they came out. Like you, speed, handling, cheap aftermarket, and true supercar killer performance can be had from that 4dr platform.

There isn't much that can match a EVO in performance per $$ especially when modded.....but that's another topic.

I was feeling the same feelings. I couldn't stand the boy racer image, so-so looks, interior was plain, high seating position, in the end I wanted a sexier car and the mystique that goes with owning one.

The problem is it's hard to find the enjoyment that a 600hp car gives when it's just you driving!!. I knew the NSX would be it though, after driving a SC 3.0 it felt quick at best, but definately not 125-130mph pump gas traps that I was used to. The interior is aging IMO and after driving it I left unimpressed. Seating position, view, handling, were great, but in the end I wanted more. So, I kept the EVO.

Since then I've driven C5's, C6's, a TT C6 (Fasst!!!), Viper, really the only cars that do it for me now are pricey really pricey like Gallardos, Ford GT's.

I did drive a 996TT X50 last week and it was quick for a stock car. 5K in bolt ons will get you to mid 125+mph on pump and with the right aero mods they look unreal, IMO.

I'll end with, for me, the awesome power, speed, handling, breaking, of a 600whp EVO is very hard to part with unless you have allot of coin to play with. I'm still toying with the idea of selling mine for a 996TT, but will it be fast enough? Could I afford a the unreal cost of building a 996TT to hit 140mph traps and low 10 sec 1/4 mile times? That's when I get in my EVO and drive it hard and it always puts a smile on my face......image aside of course.

So I went with the wife this weekend to find an NSX to drive...and unfortunately the only dealership that had a Berlina Black '91 available anywhere near my side of town had apparently sold it the previous day, so I was SOL. If no luck elsewhere we'll drive across town next weekend to find the only other dealer-owned NSX in the Portland metro area for a drive.

Not a 600 hp one. :wink:

Anyway, the cars are so totally different that no opinion is going to suffice. The NSX is a totally different driving experience. I think you'll appreciate how smooth and tight it is and for what it is (2-seat MR exotic coupe) it's as pleasant as it gets.

Again, coming from 600 hp EVO rocket you may be disappointed with the NSX's straight-line power although it has surprising low-end power. Anyways, a CTSC and the Type-R suspension can make the NSX very, very quick and competitive with just about any modern exotic (Gallardo, F430 etc.)

While it may not have the same straight line snap on top that an EVO does, I'm sure not going to miss the turbo lag coming out of a tight turn in 2nd :) I'm also hopeful that some FI (probably turbocharging) will take care of the rest!

I went from a 450hp pretty well modded dodge stealth to a pretty much stock NSX, I don't really miss the stealth at all when I'm in the x

I say go for it

I bet that was quite the contrast considering the heft of the 3SIs!

Like asking if you should buy an apartment or a house, look at what you want from the car, decide.

My criteria for any car is: Japanese, rear wheel drive, coupe. So no amount of horsepower in a sedan will affect my choice. Good luck:smile:

My criteria to date have been AWD and turbocharged with a transmission and engine internals that will support 2-3 times the factory WHP, which hasn't left too many options. I'm now opening my mind to mid-engine and RWD, but only for dry day driving :)

Wheres the EVO pics?:smile:

You know I don't have any good exterior shots, but here's a shot of the good stuff :)

etsshoppictures042wz7.jpg

etsshoppictures049yr9.jpg

I drove my brother evo and love it.

But i would give the turbo up for my Nsx.:biggrin:

Haha, fair enough!

just reading your replies, i just don't think you're ready to MOVE on from your evo.

as time goes on maybe you'll start to lose interest in your EVO but not now.

I'm not sure that I am either, thus this thread :) The good news is that the wife loves driving my EVO but prefers the Graphite Gray to my Wicked White. Since she's not going to be a full-time RN for another couple of years, it makes financial sense to turn my EVO into an NSX now and get her the EVO she really wants then. She has her own ideas for power mods too, and after all the work she'll have put in to finish school I'd like her to have exactly what she wants then. In reality she'd be happy to drive her '97 GST until the end of time (she's in love with it), but it's because she is so good to me and doesn't ever ask for anything, that I like to get her exactly what she wants when I can.

Get the NSX so long as you fess-up upfront that inevitably the tuner/FI/speed crack-pipe will be calling and you will not be able to resist. Obviously you were drawn into this "trap" with the EVO and you will again with the NSX.

Find someone to let you drive any FI NSX and I think you will be hooked. There is no more thrilling, enjoyable, all-around, reliable car than this.

Oh I have no problem admitting that :) The issue would be finding someone to let me drive their FI NSX. I would feel out of line requesting that of a stranger.

hi0npsi, I've been in you're shoes. I owned DSM's, Cobras, and had to have a EVO when they came out. Like you, speed, handling, cheap aftermarket, and true supercar killer performance can be had from that 4dr platform.

There isn't much that can match a EVO in performance per $$ especially when modded.....but that's another topic.

I was feeling the same feelings. I couldn't stand the boy racer image, so-so looks, interior was plain, high seating position, in the end I wanted a sexier car and the mystique that goes with owning one.

The problem is it's hard to find the enjoyment that a 600hp car gives when it's just you driving!!. I knew the NSX would be it though, after driving a SC 3.0 it felt quick at best, but definately not 125-130mph pump gas traps that I was used to. The interior is aging IMO and after driving it I left unimpressed. Seating position, view, handling, were great, but in the end I wanted more. So, I kept the EVO.

Since then I've driven C5's, C6's, a TT C6 (Fasst!!!), Viper, really the only cars that do it for me now are pricey really pricey like Gallardos, Ford GT's.

I did drive a 996TT X50 last week and it was quick for a stock car. 5K in bolt ons will get you to mid 125+mph on pump and with the right aero mods they look unreal, IMO.

I'll end with, for me, the awesome power, speed, handling, breaking, of a 600whp EVO is very hard to part with unless you have allot of coin to play with. I'm still toying with the idea of selling mine for a 996TT, but will it be fast enough? Could I afford a the unreal cost of building a 996TT to hit 140mph traps and low 10 sec 1/4 mile times? That's when I get in my EVO and drive it hard and it always puts a smile on my face......image aside of course.

To outperform an EVO in just about anything else you have to spend two or three times as much not just purchase price but on mods as well...that's quite the predicament unless you have money to flush or prefer image to performance. I'm all about value, and the EVO is definitely that...with the boy racer image, lol. I just couldn't justify budgeting for a newer Porsche so I think that's unfortunately out regardless..though I do agree about their exterior appearance with properly chosen aero mods!

Given that I plan to have another EVO in the family in a couple years, this brief hiatus may just make me appreciate them even more. Hell, by then the wife may be carting a kid or two around in it, at which point embarassing supercars with a baby seat or two in the back will be even more gratifying :) I daily drove a Honda for a couple years after selling my first '99 GSX for my current EVO, and getting another '99 for my DD after that break made me realize just how much I appreciate those cars. It helps me ignore the DSM quirks and just enjoy the driving experience!

Tom

Back