• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Got Pulled Over Doing 105 MPH

I would recommend getting a local NJ lawyer, it should be less than what your insurance would go up.
Also VA is a very odd State when it comes to MVA/DMV- MD and VA do not coop- I believe- the violation will show up for the purpose of taking all your money via insurance premiums, but the points etc will not transfer into VA.
Look into it,
Look at your ticket, you may not be able to just PAY THE FINES.
In VA reckless is a mandatory court appearance. Dont know about NJ
Just my .02
mike

ouch !

My advice is to get a LOCAL lawyer who everyone (especially the judge) in that court room knows and respects. A good way to find out is to spend some time during the hearing trials BEFORE your court date and see who comes there and how familiar he/she is with the judge, traffic officers, etc. Then approach him outside the court room, introduce yourself and ask him a few questions before deciding on hiring him/her

Man that sucks! Good luck with it.

Think of it this way: atleast you don't live in Australia where you loose your license for doing 15mph over the limit. Considering lots of residential areas are now 25 mph limits, that is not hard to do!

The silver lining is we have the crocodile hunter...

:rolleyes:

jh_nsx said:
105 mph!! My son got a ticket for 99mph in a 65 and we hired a lawyer in the local ticketed area who got the violation decreased a lot!! You definitly need a local traffic lawyer who can negotiate a deal for you- your insurance company will increase your premium to much more than the legal fees- remember any insurance points stay with you at least 3 years. Remember, violations add up- so even if they don't suspend your license, one more ticket and you are toast!

Best of luck
i went through the same thing as i explained before but he is right if you dont have a lawyer or no a trooper your goin to loose your license and the ac express is 55 to so you almost doubled the speed limit

C- Simply plead dyslexia. 55 and 105 look VERY similar.

Or tell the judge you were using ONLY 58% of the speedo's limit. They are nice people in NJ. I'm sure they will understand.

coolnsx said:
I was under the impression there was a 50 state system, all tickets showed up everywhere :confused: All my tickets in the West Coast states seem to find there home to CA.

I do not believe it works this way (at least it hasn't in my experience). My understanding is that nearby/regional states may typically be in a system that has reciprocity -- but not all 50 states "see" what happens in the other 49. I'll bet that Virginia gets notified by N.J., though.

Anybody know the facts of this?

Spencer said:
Anybody know the facts of this?

Here is bit from the NYS DMV web site. Just have to watch my a$$ over the border of Canada.

How the DMV Calculates Your Point Total
The DMV computer system automatically calculates your point total. Your point total is the total number of driver violation points that you received during the 18 previous months. The points are counted from the dates of your traffic violations, not from the dates of your traffic convictions. A traffic conviction is required for the points to appear on your driver record. 18 months after the date of the violation, the points for that violation are removed from your point total. The convictions remain on your record. Learn more about convictions and your driver record.

If you receive 11 points or more in 18 months, the DMV suspends your driver license. You can request a DMV hearing only to show that a different person committed the violations. You cannot request a DMV hearing to prove that you were not guilty of the violations. You cannot request a DMV hearing to request a waiver of the suspension.

Note: Insurance companies have point systems different from the DMV driver violation point system. The two point systems have no connection. Contact your insurance company about their point system.

Out-of-state traffic violations: Except for Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS driver record if you commit an out-of-state traffic violation. Points can appear on your NYS driver record if you commit a traffic violation in Ontario or Quebec.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#points

I feel for you Charley and Im still laughing at Steveny's remarks.

No flames please, I know it was stupid, but just thought I would share this.

I had a similar pullover on AC Expressway a few years back. According to the officer, I was doing 105 over the speed limit. This was in a 3000gt and I explained to him that unless I had 4 people in the car going down hill with a nice breeze, I didnt think the speed he stated was possible. He gave me a sobriety test, and asked me how much I paid for insurance. I told him, it was a new car and I havent received my insurance bill yet (still temp tags). Hid reply was "after I give you this ticket, you wont be able to afford insurance" He came back and told me to slow down and sent me on my way. :)

I did research at that time, and NJ points didnt transfer to MD. It may be different now. Good luck

charleysung said:
I got pulled over doing 105 MPH on the Atlantic City Expressway in NJ. The cop slapped me with three tickets: (1) speeding; (2) reckless driving; and (3) excessive speed.

Isn't excessive speed and speeding redundant? Isn't that like charging a person that beats another to death with murder and assault?

I am considering going to court, but I'm pretty sure the judge will show me no mercy because I was going so fast. Any suggestions?

Fortunately for you there's no reciprocity between NJ and the DC/VA/MD area so the points & penalties wouldn't transfer...as far as the fines, I agree agree with getting a attorney thats local to the court house you'll be sent to...he'll pull strings and get u passed the judge. (for a price) ;)

NSXTASY_MD said:
Fortunately for you there's no reciprocity between NJ and the DC/VA/MD area so the points & penalties wouldn't transfer...as far as the fines, I agree agree with getting a attorney thats local to the court house you'll be sent to...he'll pull strings and get u passed the judge. (for a price) ;)

NSXTASY_MD, I met you last night at Tysons. How do you know points dont transfer? I was told that they do from all states except a couple.

steveny said:
As a attorney you know only a fool goes into court without an attorney.

I believe the saying goes: "A man that represents himself in court has a fool for a client." In my experience the same basic tenet is true of watch repair, but that's another story... ;)

As far as your court problem, I'm sure your area is loaded with lawyers that specialize in traffic court. Your Yellow Pages are probably full of them.

charleysung said:
NSXTASY_MD, I met you last night at Tysons. How do you know points dont transfer? I was told that they do from all states except a couple.

Unless they changed the entire system last year or later. I myself had gotten a speeding ticket on the interstate on my way back from N.C. (92 in a 65) . The points never transferred on to my MD license or affected my insurance* Only VA-DC-MD have reciprocity. This was confirmed to me by TWO of my friends who are cops in the area...so I'm certain I'm correct. However, like I said...there could be a chance that things have changed since Jan. last year when i got the ticket and they told me this (thou i have to say i doubt it*) ....Conn/NY/NJ tri state area also have recoprocity for example. Its always the closest two or three states...it was NEVER nationwide.

PS: It was nice meeting you too Charleysung! I had a great time. :D

I got a lawyer who knows the judge well. He said he could probably get the reckless driving and excessive speeding charges thrown out so that all I have to do is pay for the speeding ticket and eat 5 points.

If that happens then you'll be gold bro....becuase alls you'll pay is the fine for the speeding ticket and those 5 points you're referring to will never make to your license / insurance if you live in the D.C. metro (which u do). :)

You are not alone. I got ticketed for 115mph in a 60 back in June. I have hired a lawyer and obviously defferred adjud. and any kind of drivers safety course are not options of mine. My attorney says we can appeal it a few different times, but just paying the fine ($270) might just be the best way to go. There is no excuse for that speed, so I think I will just have to bite the bullet.

I've driven on I-5 in Califnornia multiple times where the standard flow-of-traffic speed in the left lane was easily 100mph*. There you are, getting a reckless driving ticket for pretty much the same thing. Is the freeway there not engineered as well, not rated for high speeds? Or is the CHP just not as picky as its Jersey counterparts?

Mind you, that was in a rental sedan, not in my NSX.

* - and it was effing great, lemme tellya, compared to the pokey average 50-65mph highway speed in WA.

GHOSTRIDER said:
You are not alone. I got ticketed for 115mph in a 60 back in June. I have hired a lawyer and obviously defferred adjud. and any kind of drivers safety course are not options of mine. My attorney says we can appeal it a few different times, but just paying the fine ($270) might just be the best way to go. There is no excuse for that speed, so I think I will just have to bite the bullet.
$270 for doing 115? I WISH they did that over here in CA. 26MPH+ is about a 3 hundred something fine i believe

paladin said:
$270 for doing 115? I WISH they did that over here in CA. 26MPH+ is about a 3 hundred something fine i believe

Well, I have decided to pay the fine. Got it lowered to $230 including court cost. I will just take the hit on insurance for awhile and count myself lucky that I didn't receive any additional tickets. (Reckless driving or excessive speed)

Wow, you got off very light, IMO.

The last ticket I got in Vegas was 20 over limit, but I paid
this firm that advertises as the "Ticket Fixer" $200 and he

> went to court for me
> got it knocked down to a parking ticket (no points)
> got the fine reduced to $65

I though that was a pretty good deal.

Troopers on the a.c express way have been cracking down hard on speeders. Depending on where you were pulled over will be the municipality you will go to court at. But judges in nj hate lawyers that get caught speeding so you might want to keep your esq on the dl. You're better off going to court and try to knock it down to something else just so your insurance premium doesn't go through the roof for the next 5 years.

Back