• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How do you sell an NSX...

Speaking as someone who was just as torn between keeping or selling his NSX since last fall, and then just recently have sold it, let me just say this: I'm already looking for a replacement :)

Rob-

My personal view is you should keep the car because you are a NSX addict and a true fan of the marque. If you sell it, you will want another one almost immediately. Think about all the people on Prime over the years who sold their NSX and then spent months (or years) lamenting on the forums about how much they regretted it and how badly they want another one. You don't want to end up in that sad group, do you? :wink:

You have a 94- the best of the coupes. If your greatest complaint is not driving the car more, drive it more! After completing my refresh, I have started daily driving my NSX and it is so rewarding. My daughter is due in November and I have no doubt my time to drive will be cut down significantly as I take on baby duties. I don't know if that is your reason as well, but my view is that yes, life may intercede and reduce my time with the car, but Iwill just put it to sleep in the garage under a nice cover and when the time is right it will come out to play. :) It is more than a car to me- it is a piece of art, a labor of love, a high point in automotive history. If it means the same to you- hold onto it. If not, sell it. You can always buy another one, which you will want to do nearly the minute the buyer drives off with yours. :D

Someone shoot me if I ever think about selling an NSX (unless it's to upgrade to another NSX). :biggrin:

Seriously Doc, if you think there's the slightest chance you may regret selling your NSX, don't do it. You will be hard pressed to find another one that meets your standards, and you are already familiar with this NSX, including its history and quirks. As someone who has purchased a used NSX and is going through the process of rehabbing it to meet my standards, it's not something I would recommend doing unless you really enjoy working on cars (which I do!).

Just enjoy it. I took mine to work for the first time today, and I am loving it!

2012-08-26_01.jpg

What about going to the NSXPO next month? If that time with all those NSXs and their passionate owners doesn't inspire you to keep it, then maybe it is time to move on. I bought my NSX this year from someone who was selling his third NSX and he joked to me that he hopes he can make it longer this time before he regrets it and gets another one. But if it weren't for guys like him, then guys like me couldn't achieve our ownership dreams.

And for my psych degree answer:
I think I can relate to what you are going through in that it sounds like you want some rational premise to help you come to a logical decision. I hate when I'm in situations like this in which I need to make decisions made more on emotion than on logic. I hope you get some great insights from the group here, but in the end, you probably just need to let go of logic and allow yourself to understand your current emotions around your car. There is no rational reason we bought our NSXs. If you have no practical reason to get rid of it (e.g. need the money), then don't search for one, because it will be disingenuous and THAT causes people to later regret their decisions. And remember, whether you keep or sell, neither decision is truly irreversible.

Without knowing why you want to consider selling it, it is really hard to make an educated case either way. However, I will offer these bits of insight:

1.) If you sold it, even if you bought another, you have 13 YEARS of history with this car, and knowing exactly how it was driven and maintainted. That cannot be bought for any price with another car.

2.) I have previously thought of replacing my NSX, but could not bare the thought of not having it. Again, I have over 10 years with my 1994 (the best year, in my opinion), and we have just been through too much together. Every other car I have considered would be 'fling' cars most likely, which is why I will be keeping my NSX and just buying the other cars and letting them hang out in the driveway (the NSX always keeps its garage spot).

But really look at why you like the car, and why you would get rid of it. It may even be as simple as a pluses and minuses list on a sheet of paper. How much value do you place on having so much first hand knowledge and history with that exact car since shortly after it was new? Good luck, man. I know I am keeping mine until I die. :)

DocL,

I am also considering selling my NSX. I was at this point about 2 years ago, but decided to keep it. In the last 2 years I drove my NSX about 1000 miles.

I am not sure what my NSX is worth or what's a good asking price.

After 3 NSX and 13 years of NSX ownership, it going to be a sad day to see it gone.

good luck,

Chris

Perhaps find a closer neighbor...seven doors down is quite a ways, after all...

Docs problem is that he is trying to be rational - Im the same way.

Owning an NSX can be a challenge to rationalize. Doc may be having trouble rationalizing owning a car he doesnt drive. Couple that with prices that may not make sense next to other choices, and I would have sold my NSX anyways had I not needed something with back seats.

But you need to be sure if you sell Doc; there's no getting that car back as Mitch says.

NSXs are all about your heart - once owning one moves from your heart to your head, it is over. At least that is how it was for me. I have no regrets but Doc, make sure you wont before you sell it!

I sold mine to an enthusiast who is taking great care of it - but importantly - he lives a thousand miles away so I never have to see *my car*. That is how you do it.

Last edited:
Everytime I think of selling, I ask myself what I can replace it with that won't cost me more and will bring me the same amount of joy. I come up empty. Although there are many interesting cars, I wouldn't trade my NSX for any of them.

The question for you should be do you care if ou just don't have such a car, period. If you truly don't, then sell it. If you think you do, you probably do and so until you find a proper replacement, don't do it.

Thanks Nigel. Storage is not the problem. I've only put 2,500mi on it in three years.

If you still like the car and the experience when you do get to drive it, this shouldn't be a problem! I've only driven 5600 miles in 7 years... :p

I'm in the EXACT same situation but have only owned mine a bit over a year. This car is not just my transportation but also my hobby, company advertisement, stress reliever etc etc. I literally LOVE my Nsx but I need the funds... Like you, I guarantee I will buy her back from the new owner when I sell her or find one just like it in less than 12-18 mths from selling her. If you need the funds, you need the funds. Simple.

i say go car shopping and see if anything else can stir your soul in the same way the NSX has. you may just be bored with the same old car and that is fine. life is short, experience as many new things as you can. you can always get another NSX.

I haven't put more than 400 miles on my car this year and it's just not getting driven enough for me to hold onto it The obvious solution is to DRIVE IT....not sell it. I bought my '05 last year and it had 13K on the odometer. It now has 22K on it and I am enjoying every minute of driving it. I think it was made to be driven, not stored and worshipped. Do both of you a favor......Take it out and drive it. OFTEN.

Wow, thanks for all of the kind words and support, especially from those of you whom I have never meet. This is one of the great reasons why NSX ownership is so special.

Since I consider you guys to be like family, I'll tell you why it may be time for me sell my NSX. I'm going to be a father of twins next Monday if my wife makes it to her due date. I don't have to sell the car, but having the cash to invest for their future makes me feel more comfortable. I have been fortunate enough to own many great cars and I always will be able to own them in the future. I'm going to wait another two or three weeks to make my final decision, however I think the time has come to sell it.

Wow, thanks for all of the kind words and support, especially from those of you whom I have never meet. This is one of the great reasons why NSX ownership is so special.

Since I consider you guys to be like family, I'll tell you why it may be time for me sell my NSX. I'm going to be a father of twins next Monday if my wife makes it to her due date. I don't have to sell the car, but having the cash to invest for their future makes me feel more comfortable. I have been fortunate enough to own many great cars and I always will be able to own them in the future. I'm going to wait another two or three weeks to make my final decision, however I think the time has come to sell it.

WOW DocL that is some huge and exciting news! Congratulations!! :smile:

Yes congrats... twins will keep you busy :smile:

My son & daughter are 10 mo 10 days apart, close to being twins. Plus we have twin grand daughters in town.

I know I did without a toy car until the kids grew up & were out of the house.

You can always pick up another NSX or something else that excites you down the road.

There are times I wonder about upgrading to a 97-01 (I like the pop-up's), but then think about, I know what I have & what's been done to it, over the unknown. Plus the memories of the car.

It's a tough decision. The NSX shouldn't depreciate much from here on out, but as an investment, there are better things to invest in, but some of those have their risks too.

The upcoming twins will be a priority, that's for sure :biggrin:

Twins?? Seems to me like a reason to buy a second NSX so you and your wife can take both the kids out at the same time.

Twins................does your wife know yet?:eek:

Congrats, that's great news! I went through the same thing 11 yrs ago when I sold my first NSX.....then I realized I made a mistake as the car really wasn't an issue so I got my second one.....before having another dumbass moment and selling that one and getting my third. My .02, since you sort of asked for it :tongue: is to keep the car another year.....not like it's costing you anything. Certainly not like it will depreciate (like other cars) during that time.

Best of luck to ya!

My .02, since you sort of asked for it :tongue: is to keep the car another year.....not like it's costing you anything. Certainly not like it will depreciate (like other cars) during that time.
I think this is very sensible advice. "Sleep" on the decision for a while and see what you think then. With twins on the way, it may be the only sleep you get ;)

Congrats on the new addition to your family!

I agree with Danny's sensible advice. What other type of short term investment is going to do as well as an NSX right now? I can't think of any.

Congrats on your twins! I think you should buy another NSX so that your children won't have to fight for it when they grow up! :D

Congrats Doc on twins but below is the best solution.:biggrin:

Twins?? Seems to me like a reason to buy a second NSX so you and your wife can take both the kids out at the same time.

Back