• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iPad mini

But then you have an lightning cable poking out somewhere when it's removed... it won't exactly "look factory"

That's not a big deal. It can be tucked into the ashtray.

That's not a big deal. It can be tucked into the ashtray.

What are you thinking for removably but securely mounting an iPad in a car that can subject its occupants to some fairly extreme forces?

What are you thinking for removably but securely mounting an iPad in a car that can subject its occupants to some fairly extreme forces?

Extreme forces? LOL... what are you planning to do? If I go to the track it's coming off. For the street I am certain a proper mount can be found. Or I'll just make one.

I think the head unit thing is very personal, everyone is going to do their own thing. I'm very happy with my phone, nevermind an iPad. I've used my 4S for over a year in my other car where I removed my factory Honda radio. I don't miss it at all. It does local radio, internet radio, nav, pandora, and music library. It's a 4S which has a smaller screen than a 5 and it's still fine for me. The iPad mini is for more luxury but not necessary.

My concentration in the NSX is performance. For some, it isn't. So the radio is more important to them. I love great sound, but I can get that with what I am building using my phone. Which also costs an extra $0. I am not trying to make the dash look fancy.

I've seen the videos of the navpods collapsing even during spirited street driving...

I've seen the videos of the navpods collapsing even during spirited street driving...

What you saw was a nav pod with a missing dash screw. A honda nav pod won't collapse during any spirited drive.

My magnetic iPhone mount is so strong it'll withstand track duty no problem.

I think for a first iteration I will just use the headphone out (ick) and use the iPad's touch screen volume slider, connect it straight to the amp... that's the simplest possible solution before I go bolting in processors and whatever else.

They got it done:

223771_438634519528382_1963809920_n.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCXJIjxvPNE

https://www.facebook.com/soundwavesoftampa/photos_stream

Stood in line at the Apple store this morning...

It was released today? lol I love Apple, but haven't been keeping up with the news, well with most anything actually. Didn't realize it would be available today. Even if it was released today, I doubt they would have been able to finish that installation that quickly though. My guess is that they got that iPad mini before today and have been working on it for a while. Fiberglass/resin takes a while to cure, sand, finish, paint, etc.. That's a finished installation in that video. No way that work was all done today.

It was released today? lol I love Apple, but haven't been keeping up with the news, well with most anything actually. Didn't realize it would be available today. Even if it was released today, I doubt they would have been able to finish that installation that quickly though. My guess is that they got that iPad mini before today and have been working on it for a while. Fiberglass/resin takes a while to cure, sand, finish, paint, etc.. That's a finished installation in that video. No way that work was all done today.

The exact dimensions were available when it was announced a week or two ago. There's really no way for them to have gotten one before today, but getting stuff fabricated ahead of time would have been no problem.

Here is my latest thinking on complete iPad mini - car integration:

You could lock and unlock the iPad mini using a simple electromagnet circuit with a relay - since it looks for the magnets in the smart cover to lock and unlock. A 9V battery would keep the magnet "on" while the car was off (since smart cover shut = iPad locked) and then get turned off when accessory power came on.

You could activate Siri and get audio input (mic) over the "mikey bus" - ever wonder what that 4th pin on the OEM Earpods jack does? The mic button can be configured to active Siri, so a small mic + "Siri button" module could be mounted somewhere ideal in the cabin.

So I've covered power, digital audio out, lock/unlock, and Siri activation/mic... the only thing left is to get the brightness of the screen to follow the illumination wire in the head unit wire harness. I suspect this will require jailbreak + some coding because there is no way for external devices to control the brightness currently. That, or faking out the ambient light sensor with an LED...

Why not just let the ambient light sensor do its job?

I'd leave that one alone. It works well.

They guys over at Soundman Car Audio have also finished an install of an iPad mini.

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zDThVZzVtqw?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zDThVZzVtqw?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Yeah something like the above is way better than a permanent install IMO. That's really the way you want to do it.

They guys over at Soundman Car Audio have also finished an install of an iPad mini.

Hmm... now I'm torn. Turns out I'm a few hours drive (and a lot of dollars) away from the "inventors" of the iPad -> car install. Maybe I should just throw money at the problem and save myself the long-term heartache of a second rate DIY job...

Yeah something like the above is way better than a permanent install IMO. That's really the way you want to do it.

Meh. Theirs doesn't charge the iPad, uses Bluetooth for audio (will drain the battery quick), and doesn't secure the iPad against theft should you happen to forget to take it out when you park.

That said, I'm sure they could accommodate my requirements. Maybe I'll just save up some $$ and drive down there to have them do the install.

Looks like they are an Audison shop though, I would definitely want them to use the RF:

http://store.soundmancaraudio.com/signal-processors/

I've just been to the store and held one. Maybe it can fit in landscape after all.

I wonder if something similar to this can be done to the NSX.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lmbh7eAYL8k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, I bought a beat-up OEM center console and a custom Lightning cable. When the time comes I won't hijack TURBO's thread, I'll make my own. :)

Back