• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is something Wrong with my Car?

I am just wondering: I think that the EPA rating for the 3.2L NSX is 17/24 City/Hwy. I was under the understanding that the highway test was actually done at approx. 53 MPH.

I recently drove my new baby home from Atlanta to S. CA here are the statistics:

Average speed 78.2 MPH (With gusts to 120)
2 stops (Memphis and Albquerque)
16 Diet Cokes
A permanent smile on my face

Average MPG 27.232!!!

How is it that I could get this kind of mileage from such an awesome car?

------------------
97 NSX-T Black/Tan
00 Mercedes 430CLK (Cab)
93 Cadillac Allante (Northstar)
98 GMC Sierra
00 HD Dyna WideGlide
83 Cessna 303 (Crusader)

Paul,

That's not unusual for long-distance travel with few stops. I drove similar speeds to yours over 450 miles on one tank of gas and filled it with 16 gallons, which was over 28 mpg.

EPA ratings can be over or under real-world experience. Similarly, real-world experience varies; you won't get the same mileage on a 30-mile mostly-highway commute to work each day as on a 2500-mile long-distance drive.

And EPA doesn't measure the smiles per gallon.

Congratulations on the new purchase! Hope to see you in nine months at NSXPO 2003.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 16 January 2003).]

I'll second everyone's reply... Highway mileage I usually get 26-28 mpg... I hit around 400+ miles until the light turns on. Figuring it's around 15 gallons with 3 leftover... Now city mileage is slightly lower....

------------------
Biaggi
92 NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

I had the same question once before, but did some tests myself and found the following....

In the first month owning the car as a daily driver, I put 2000 miles to the test. I would gas each time and write down the gallons versus miles driven. On my daily 20 mile commutes, consisting of local and freeway miles, I get a consistent 18-19 mpg. I took two trips down to the Acura dealership where I bought my car (150 miles aways), I get a consistent 26-27 mpg (some local and mostly freeway)

Therefore, an all freeway long distance trip with 28+mpg is totally reasonable.

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

Same here, I usually get about 28 mpg during a normal drive. I have a friend who's mom has a 2001 Corvette and she get about the same milage on the highway....not too bad.

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan, 5 speed
Do you know of another Green-Black roof NSX?? Please email me if you do.

Oh, and I get 9-11 mpg at the track.
biggrin.gif

Back