• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Killer Deal on Club Radios

I went to Radio Shack this morning to buy a club radio for the upcoming Camarillo autocross and what a deal they are having.

They have the 5 Watt version with 8 Channels on Sale for $69.99, but the best deal of all is the 1 Watt version for only $19.99.

I checked and both versions come with both the primary and secondary NSXCA frequencies preprogrammed and ready to go.

The bad news is that they told me that the sale is only on through tomorrow so don't delay!

5W Part#: 19-1208
1W Part#: 19-1207

------------------
97 NSX-T Black/Tan
00 Mercedes 430CLK (Cab)
93 Cadillac Allante (Northstar) - For Sale
98 GMC Sierra
00 HD Dyna WideGlide
83 Cessna 303 (Crusader)

[This message has been edited by Paul65K (edited 01 February 2003).]

A 1 watt version is probably going to be inadequate for most club activities. 2 watts is the minimum recommended.

If you have a 1 watt radio and everyone else has 2 watts or more, you're likely to find that you are going to miss some transmissions that others at the far end of a caravan from you are making, and those same people are not going to hear your transmissions.

Ken's on it. One watt is below the line of acceptable performance in our particular application. Two is JUST adequate, and is normally the sweet spot in terms of radios for club use. If however you can get a steal like that on a five watt, definitely go for it. We're licensed for up to five watts, and that's a ridiculously low price if it's decent and works well.

A one watt would be OK if you only wanted to monitor the channel. When you transmitted however, typically a good many people who would have otherwise heard you had you been using a two watt will not; your signal won't even break squelch on their radios. Not hearing you, they will then feel free to transmit on their two watt, and a lot of people probably hear a big mess. This happens anyway to some extent due to terrain, but one watt radios in the mix would make the situation significantly worse.

Richard
'93 Blk/Blk
Motorola SP-10

I bought one of each! I was planning on using the 1 watt only for monitoring, so your advice should be great.

I had occasion to use one of these 5 watt units a couple of weeks ago on a group drive and the transmission was no issue. I think that these units are made for Radio Shack by Motorola. I know for sure that this was the case in the past, but I can't be absolutely sure right now.

I know that you can see the specs and a picture in the Radio Shack on-line catalog.

See you all at NSXPO At Sears Point, oops I mean Infenion Raceway.

Went to buy one today and they told me the sale goes until 3-2-03. The guy had a hard time finding it, so take the model number in with you if you want one. Seems nice.
John

Pretty sure you can order it on-line out of the Radio Shack Catalog!
WWW.radioshack.com, I think!

If anyone in the Los Angeles area is looking to purchase the Radio Shack Radio Model# 19-1208 there are several available, here are the locations:
Torrance - Hawthorne/Sepulveda 310.373-1984 (2 in stock)
Manhattan Beach - Marine/18th 310.545.0315 (1 display unit)
Huntington Park (don’t have exact location Margarita Plaza (323) 583-1295 or Las Palmas S/C (323) 581-9373) (3 in stock)

Orange County:
Costa Mesa - Victoria/Bay 949.642.5130 (2 in stock)

This information is good as of 02/27/03 @ 10:15 am PST. The accuracy of this information is not guaranteed.

[This message has been edited by ss_md (edited 27 February 2003).]

[This message has been edited by ss_md (edited 27 February 2003).]

Back