• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lotus Esprit V8 Twin Turbo?

How do you guys feel about a 1997 Lotus Esprit V8 TT? 3.5L V-8..I currently own a 1994 Comptech SC Red,blk NSX. I was thinking about a change of pace, but don't want to do something foolish I might regret....
handling?
reliability?
can you raise the boost?
craftsmanship?

Please offer me your unbiased views. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my SC'd NSX!

Regards,
Justin in AZ

I have heard they are very fast cars, but fall very short in the comfort and reliability department. You may want to look into their reliability if you mind being in the shop on a regular basis.

By all means, get the Lotus. (Just don't sell your NSX to do so)
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

My neighbor has one and its a really good looking car on the outside. The interior design is very poor though. As far as reliability goes, this is not a car you would want to drive everyday. In terms of speed, its fast and it feels even faster. Once the turbo kicks in you literally get slammed back into ur seat. I had a 3000GT VR4 Turbo before and I must say the VR4 "felt" faster than the NSX, but in actuality it was slower. I kinda like the more linear acceleration that the NSX has. Last thought, because the Esprit is a turbo car, more preventive maintenance has to be taken. This is true for all turbo cars. You gotta be careful not to have a "hot" shut down after spirited driving (here is where a turbo timer comes in handy). There are other stuff you need to be concerned with as well. I sold my 3000GT to get away from all this stuff cause I just didn't want to deal with all the preventive turbo maintenance that came with the car. Hope this helps.

Ryan

My friend own one, and I can comment:

Handling:
NSX

Straight line speed:
Lotus, well maybe with your SC it is pretty even.

Reliability:
His car seem to hold up well. No problem whatsoever, but he only drive it on the street, with very occasional track event, like once a year.

Can you raise the boost?
Yes, through chip, and maybe something else.

craftmanship:
This is where it falls really bad compare to NSX IMHO. The car feels so crappy and not tight. Feels like every parts are not connected right.

Originally posted by snyper2727:
How do you guys feel about these cars?
Quality?

No.

Reliability?

No.

handling?

Yes.

power?

Yes.

I heard they are getting 520 HP with no internal engine mods.

Doubtful.

Two other areas you didn't ask about:

Styling? Yes.

Comfort? No.

In fact, the only question that one Esprit owner asked me a few years ago, when we were gassing up our cars, was whether my NSX was comfortable. When I nodded, he seemed unhappy.

Am I being foolish or is this a good car?

Define "good". It is a fast, stylish car, but rather impractical.

Does it compare to my NSX?

In performance? Yes. In most other areas? No.

The Lotus is not a move up. But the real question here is, what is it you don't like about your NSX? It sounds like it doesn't have enough power for you. If that's the case, there aren't a whole lot of cars you ought to be looking at. Unless you want to spend six figures (911TT, Ferrari, Lambo), then check into a Viper or maybe a Z06 Corvette, or maybe a heavily modified Supra. That's about it.

Had a Supra, too Juvenile, and poor reliability, cooked and engine. TOO many vettes, and I think Vipers are simply too poor of a build quality to even consider.

I probably should just pipe down and enjoy my NSX, it's a wonderful car.

I was just hoping to get some additional performance, without going short gears, 9 psi, and R&P. Thanks for your input guys.

I must say the NSX is most likely THE best performance car for the money!

Sorry for the Duplicate post too, the first one wasn't showing up.

Regards,
Justin in AZ

I own both and I can tell you firsthand the Lotus beats the NSX in every category. I have owned three Esprits in the past and have used them as daily drivers with no problems whatsover. The biggest problem with reliability is the lack of use. I have seen an 1988 Lotus with 247k with only a head gasket done at 175k and not a single problem. There is also a 2000 with almost 50k miles for sale without a single problem. The more you use the better it will treat you. Currently I own a 99 Sport 350 which has been very good to me. If you need to ask me any questions fire away. Do not listen to non owners telling you they are unreliable, things fall off while driving, maintenance is anightmare, because they are not true.

Snyper, the 97's are good but if you can spring for a 98 go for it. In 98 they updated the interior, changed the clutch set up as well as the linkage. It looks more polished as well as more room inside.

Dont do it man! keep the nsx! it is the best car in the world! nothing comes close!
Actually, i really like the lotus, and am thinking about buying the older james bond style one as a tinker toy. The twin turbo v8's are awesome, rode in one with the boost turned up, custom exhaust and air filters. It was a rocket. Now the guy has bigger turbos,intercooler,and some other stuff. he raced a venom 650 viper and beat it. his is a 97, has owned it since new, and loves it. no problems that i know of.

How do you guys feel about a 1997 Lotus Esprit V8 TT?

I'd always wanted an Esprit -- call it the James Bond effect. I finally got the chance to drive one (after cooler heads prevailed, and I already had my NSX), and --

I didn't even get out of the parking lot. The interior was so uncomfortable that I didn't feel I could safely drive it on the streets. The footwell was so cramped I couldn't reliably work the pedals. This is a car for a significantly smaller person.

So, awesome styling, nice power and handling, poor reliability, exceedingly poor ergonomics (for me).

-Bob ('94 #496)

Back