• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX is it really an exotic?

k this weekend i just saw a real lambo diablo....platinum in color...

this is the first time i came face to face with one without a gaurd rail..and the thing looks exotic in every way...

alot of people think the NSX is exotic...but is it really when you compare it to the italians..i know the lambo is more the 2x the price of a NSX but still can a NSX be in the same classification of exotic compared to the supercars?....

don't get me wrong i love my NSX and it turns more head parked at a parking meter than naked streaker.....

but even the side air vents (imo) look better on a lambo.....

i'm from alberta , canada and there aren't too many supercars up here ..the lambo was from calgary if anyone is interested...

This is totally subjective, but the Diablo does nothing for me visually. The Countach, on the other hand, makes me drool every time (even kit cars!). There are a few Italian cars I *might* consider to be more exotic than the NSX, but they in no way reduce the NSX's exotic appeal for me. YMMV.

Heh, go look at a Countach, or check out some ebay galleries. I spent some time looking around before I bought my NSX because I realized just how cheap cars I used to drool over had become. Maybe I got spoiled looking at NSXes, but I sure wasn't keen on those boxy Countach cockpits.

I admit I still like the exterior though, especially with a bigassspoiler. :)

The Diablo is on a class all alone! :D :D :D

But the NSX is, IMO, an exotic. It is better than Porsche and on the same level as Aston Martins or Lotus and those are considered exotic.

F50, Enzo, CarreraGT, McLaren, Koenigseeg, Zonda, ... are SUPER EXOTIC! :cool:

gheba_nsx --> i like how you put it ..super exotic and exotic....

i can live with the nsx being exotic and the other cars being super exotic...

and yah the nsx (imo) is way better looking than most porsches ..that goes for exterior and interior...

Personally, I always thought the Countach was butt ugly. Even though it was incredibly fast, had cool features like the gull-wing doors, was incredibly low to the ground, and, obviously, was very exclusive, it always looked like a pancake on wheels to me.
Also, something about the amount of body above the rear wheels bugged me.

As far as the NSX being exotic, absolutely!!! I live in Dallas, and I see an NSX maybe once every 6 months. And every time, my head is not the only one that's turning. It definitely garners more attention than Porsches, even the 911 TT.

Obviously, Diablos and such are in a class by themselves.

George

I remember an URL that defined what is an exotic. From its definition, the NSX is an exotic, but a BMW Z8 or Porsche 911 wasn't. It think part of it had to do with production numbers.

Does anyone remember that URL?

It reminds me of something I read on the Esprit site. One of the owners got a chance to drive a Vector and after coming back to his Esprit, he didn't think it was so exotic anymore. He wondered why everyone was still looking at his Esprit.

Personally, I think everyone has their own level of what they consider exotic.

One of the guys here in DC owns 2 Diablos. One as his daily driver and another one for when the first is in the shop. To him, probably a Mercedes CLK-GTR is an exotic.

wctsao said:
I remember an URL that defined what is an exotic. From its definition, the NSX is an exotic, but a BMW Z8 or Porsche 911 wasn't. It think part of it had to do with production numbers.

Wasn't it for the AutoZootica (or something like that) car show-event? I remember i read it 2 years ago...

Anyway, the Z8, is IMO an exotic (specially BECAUSE of the production numbers...)

I can't say how many times my kid has asked me this... i.e. What cars do I consider exotic.

The first time he asked, I whipped out a quick, confident answer... "An exotic car has a mid-engine design, has low, sleek body styling, has high performance, is made of light-weight and high quality materials, has superior fit and finish, is reliable, comfortable and a blast to drive, and has an 'NSX' badge next to the door handle."

He smiled and replied, "What about a porsche 911 Turbo?"

I said, "Nope!"

:cool:

ex·ot·ic adj.
1) From another part of the world;
2) Intriguingly unusual or different;
3) Of or involving striptease: an exotic dancer.

ex·ot·ic n.
1) One that is exotic.
2) A striptease performer.

Last edited:
nkb said:
Personally, I always thought the Countach was butt ugly. Even though it was incredibly fast, had cool features like the gull-wing doors, was incredibly low to the ground, and, obviously, was very exclusive, it always looked like a pancake on wheels to me.
Also, something about the amount of body above the rear wheels bugged me.

As far as the NSX being exotic, absolutely!!! I live in Dallas, and I see an NSX maybe once every 6 months. And every time, my head is not the only one that's turning. It definitely garners more attention than Porsches, even the 911 TT.

Obviously, Diablos and such are in a class by themselves.

George
Actually the Countach was never incredibly fast. It just LOOKED fast. R&T had had many tests on them. Paul Frere of R&T has always commented that the crude design and the incredibly heavy controls make it very tiring to drive and just slow down the drivers. To me, Lambos are just exotic Yugos.
Steve

Based on the number of heads that turn everytime I drive my NSX around town, I think classifies it as exotic. As an NSX owner, it sometimes doesn't seem like the car is really all that exotic because I see it every day. But, I am reminded how different the car is by other peoples' reactions all the time.

wctsao said:

http://www.autozotica.com/az_main/az_qualifies.htm

The Z8 is an exotic, but the 911 isn't.

What makes this criteria interesting is that the production number considers all model variations. Hence, for a 911, it would count all models. I think this is good. How many people can make a base 911 look like a GT2? Alot!

I think the NSX is exotic.. so is the Z8 and so is a 911 turbo..

I would not however say that is Boxster is an exotic, nor is a vette --any model.

price of a car should not determined if a car is exotic or not. NSX is very rare and attracts attention whereever you bring it. this is enough for me to say that NSX is an EXOTIC CAR.

Here is my deffinition of an exotic.
A car that can be driven on a race track and then driven home without being towed. And also one that doesnt' break your savings to drive and maintain. If you can claim a car that can do that, it's an exotic. Lambo's are nice on the eyes, but don't have longevity, dependability or practicality of a car that one can actually enjoy on a daily basis. Ferrari's are nice on the eyes....see above. Porsche's are nice on the eyes, but hey I wouldn't want to spend 150 on an oil change. They are fun to drive though. A nice 911 TT is hard to part with after a hard pull or two out of a turn and into the straights. But not for *me*.
An NSX is practical... (as practical as an exotic can be).....and can take a pounding and still cary you home. That my friends is an exotic. I haven't gotten tired of looking at them at all. A classic body style is hard to beat. It's rolling art.
Barn Man..... This is JMO, I could be wrong. Everything is relative and subjective. Take it for what it is.....a reply.

no offense guys..I dont think the nsx stock has the power to be in a exotic class....handleing and looks definatly performs and looks exotic

stik6shift00 said:
no offense guys..I dont think the nsx stock has the power to be in a exotic class....handleing and looks definatly performs and looks exotic

http://autos.msn.com/advice/windowshop.aspx?contentid=2903&src=MSN

http://www.autozotica.com/az_main/az_qualifies.htm

Dupont Registry's Exotic car buyer's guide also lists the NSX.

Car and Driver, Motor trend, and Road and track all say the NSX is an exotic.

6302361133.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

So you see, its not just us NSX owners that thinks the car is an exotic.

Would it be simply base horsepower, or power to weight ratio, stik? I had an interesting discussion today at work, a friend commented that the NSX wasn't exotic, but that the early RX7s were. To him, it was all about being an "innovator"; at first I just laughed, but after thinking about it he does have something (although the RX7 seems as exotic as a Miata) ...

To me, an Enzo is exotic - the downforce the car generates, to me that's innovative. The Mclaren F1 is an innovative car - don't see too many 3 seaters. But the F360, or F355? Beautiful cars, and I would *love* to own one (or even just ride in one), but not that innovative, and to me, not exotic... Rare, yes, but exotic, no. :) By this comparison, to me the NSX also doesn't qualify as exotic.

But there's always a part of me that says "If I can afford it, it ain't exotic". ;)

Barn Man said:
Here is my deffinition of an exotic.
A car that can be driven on a race track and then driven home without being towed. And also one that doesnt' break your savings to drive and maintain. If you can claim a car that can do that, it's an exotic. Lambo's are nice on the eyes, but don't have longevity, dependability or practicality of a car that one can actually enjoy on a daily basis. Ferrari's are nice on the eyes....see above. Porsche's are nice on the eyes, but hey I wouldn't want to spend 150 on an oil change. They are fun to drive though. A nice 911 TT is hard to part with after a hard pull or two out of a turn and into the straights. But not for *me*.
An NSX is practical... (as practical as an exotic can be).....and can take a pounding and still cary you home. That my friends is an exotic. I haven't gotten tired of looking at them at all. A classic body style is hard to beat. It's rolling art.
Barn Man..... This is JMO, I could be wrong. Everything is relative and subjective. Take it for what it is.....a reply.

Umm...I think you need a new definition of exotic...you never really mention anything of it being rare, unique or good looking...I could take my sisters Mercury Cougar to the track, run it, and it will get me home safely...is that exotic? No. Same can be said for an Miata, Boxster, S2000, Mustang Cobra, Corvette, Trans-am...............................................etc.

Exotic is all too often associated with price, popularity, and performance...the 3 P's...the NSX has all of them. Its priced out of the average person's grasp (even $30k for a 91 is out of mosts range...especially since they need "insurance" money w/o a warranty)...its not popular at all...and it performs better than 99% of the cars on the road. And its a stunning, beautiful car that has held its prestige over time...thats the 4th P: prestige.

When a kid walks up to a >STOCK< car and says: "WOW!!! Thats a ________!!!!!!!!" Then you know its an exotic ;)

burbel said:
...To him, it was all about being an "innovator...

...To me, an Enzo is exotic - the downforce the car generates, to me that's innovative. The Mclaren F1 is an innovative car - don't see too many 3 seaters... ...By this comparison, to me the NSX also doesn't qualify as exotic.
Is there an implication here that the NSX is NOT innovative?

WOW! That just blows me away.

Here are the innovations that I believe the NSX owns...
1st production car to have variable valve timing and valve lift.
1st production car to employee titanium as standard equipment.
1st all-alloy production car.
1st mass-produced car to have "Electronic" power steering.
Are there more?....
If the criteria for being exotic were innovation, then just one of the above would qualify the NSX as exotic.

Additional ex-traordinary-otic features...
Forged, aluminum suspension.
Triple forged, light-weight alloy wheels.
0-60 in ~5.0 seconds with only 290HP [216KW] and ~3,000Lbs. [1361Kg]
Exotic, sexy styling and mid-engine design.
Incredible creature comfort.
Dependable (for an exotic, that's exotic.)
The "seat-of-your-pants" feeling while driving (perhaps the NSX's greatest attribute.)

In my opinion an exotic also can't share the same chassis as cheaper siblings with added HP and etc such as the 911TT even though I lust for one and be distinct can't be mistaken.

In Australia an NSX is exotic and Ferrari 360's aren't especially in my neck of the woods.

NSXBOX said:
In my opinion an exotic also can't share the same chassis as cheaper siblings with added HP and etc such as the 911TT even though I lust for one and be distinct can't be mistaken.

In Australia an NSX is exotic and Ferrari 360's aren't especially in my neck of the woods.

DITTO!!! DITTO!!! DITTO!!!

I second that the NSX is exotic is Australia...
Ferrari 360's actually don't stand out of the crowd as much as most other ferraris (my opinion)
the 911 is not an exotic for the reasons NSXBOX stated... but don't tell my porsche-freak mates i wrote that. ;)

<B>nsx1</B> : the NSX was the first Honda produced with the chick-magnet as standard. :p

Back