• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX: Owning a Unicorn

To me, I don't like how much attention the NSX gets when I go out. I prefer to keep it low key and not having strangers approach me randomly, find strangers taking pictures of my car when I return or am away, having strangers follow me, or having strangers hanging out the window taking pictures of me while I'm driving. It gets old QUICK.

Within one hour of buying the car and filling it up at the gas station, I already had some kid start taking pictures of my car while I was filling up. It has never stopped since...

dennis?!? its quan! damn you kept your OG username forever. had no idea you picked up an NSX. you've always had cars that got mad attention and i agree. it does get old quick. I don't live in the nicest area and i've had cars try and follow me home. its not safe for us at all

When I first bought it in May 2012, a friend owned Griffin Motors in Halifax. He had great mechanics who he had headhunted from the mainstream european dealerships in Halifax. I also knew that they weren't going to rip me off. He's since sold the business so I've mostly used Atlantic Acura. There is a shop called "Driven Auto" on Hammonds Plains Road. The owner is the former NSX mechanic from Atlantic Acura, and he has a passion for the NSX. His rates are pretty good and honest. I had the engine light go on last July. It said it was one of the catalytic coverter banks. He ordered in 2 from a site in the US. The price was a fraction of the Canadian costs. When I had bought my NSX in Montreal, the previous owner gave me a box of goodies, including 2 catalytic converters. The garage owner "Rob" tried one them on my car and it worked, so he didn't charge me for the parts he ordered. I thought that was pretty good service. It ended up costing me about $50......you don't get too much for $50 these days.

What year is your NSX?

Kevin

I think I was at Griffin Motors years ago. If it's the place I'm thinking of, I was very impressed with how clean they kept everything. My car is an 2003. I'm overdue for my timing belt and I'm trying to figure out where to get it done. I have some excellent techs employed at our shop (Kings County Honda) but they are kept busy dealing with our customers etc. They are undoubtedly capable of doing the work, but freeing up the time is an issue. That and a certain amount of paranoia about screwing something up on a car that I am totally anile about. If you are ever down in the valley, stop in and say hi. I pretty much live at the shop.

Faron

I went out this past weekend with a friend to a lounge and decided to drive the NSX. As we were pulling up, I reluctantly decided to valet since we arrived late and the attendant was a younger guy probably no more than 22 years old. I must say I was quite impressed that he knew what kind of car it was and also commented on the fact that you don't really see them anymore on the road. What made me feel even more impressed was as we were leaving, there was no one standing by admiring the GTR and Huracan that were parked a few spaces away. :biggrin:

I drove mine to see my accountant the other day. One of his buddies, a nice little Sicilian man, came over and told me he really liked my car. Then he offered to trade me his fiat convertible for it, half-jokingly.

I live in the Toronto area and as you guys said, its a mixed bag. More than half the people don't know what it is. Then, they can't believe how old it is! The others who know the car, they really get into it.

I've never had anything that got this much attention, but I am used to it already and enjoy sharing the car with others in this small way. I remember those days when I used to just dream about it and never even got to sit in one till about 10 years ago.

Anyway, enough about me, lets talk about the unicorn-riding and hot man love you guys are showing here!! wtf lol :)

Went to the local mclaren dealer to look around recently. While there, a 650 silver owner drove in and parked nearby. He made a beeline for my NSX and said how much he always loved them and really liked mine. He was really there to see the P1, but it felt special to get his comments. I love this car!

Last edited:
I think I was at Griffin Motors years ago. If it's the place I'm thinking of, I was very impressed with how clean they kept everything. My car is an 2003. I'm overdue for my timing belt and I'm trying to figure out where to get it done. I have some excellent techs employed at our shop (Kings County Honda) but they are kept busy dealing with our customers etc. They are undoubtedly capable of doing the work, but freeing up the time is an issue. That and a certain amount of paranoia about screwing something up on a car that I am totally anile about. If you are ever down in the valley, stop in and say hi. I pretty much live at the shop.

I've worked at a Honda dealership for eleven years and our master techs do a great job working on the NSX whether timing belt, water pump, brakes, valve adjustments. I have them do it all - they get paid for their work. They love working on it since it is a special car. But it is a Honda and any good Honda tech can do all the work on an NSX.

[MENTION=31653]quantwothree[/MENTION] wow man. It's been awhile. I hope everything's been good! I've moved around quite a bit. Gotta keep it OG with the screen name.

I work on a military base in Japan and didn't get more than a few glances back when I had my '89 Skyline GT-R. I'm a pretty low key guy, and there's a ton of those floating around, so that was pretty great to blend in for awhile.

I've been driving around my '90 NSX I just recently purchased and have had people chase me down, ask questions ("how much did you pay?" is always the first), and do the standard double-take. At least 5 people wanted to talk to me about the car today. It's kind of fun for awhile, but I forgot how much attention the car draws since I sold my last one 6 years ago. They're stunning even today.

I had a pretty sweet looking 997 911 turbo cabriolet before I got my NSX... got a few comments about that car but with the NSX it's pretty much constant. I love it, an NSX with aftermarket wheels looks better than just about anything IMO. I've had so many people ask me about the car and they are totally shocked to find out that it's not actually that expensive, haha.

Notes from the Mississippi Gulf Coast:

I have not been surprised by the attention the NSX gets around here. I have to admit I enjoy the attention the car gets.

I am surprised at how many locals know about the car.

Among those less familiar with the NSX, many express amazement that it is a 1991.

I have never been asked how much I paid.

I have been asked twice if it was a new Corvette.

I have often been asked what year it is, even though the vanity tag reads "1991NSX".

Yeah having a 91 makes it even funnier. I am thinking of getting antique VA tags for mine next year. Mainly because they're black with white lettering and would look pretty cool on my black NSX. The clueless people would be even more confused.

This is precisely why I want an NSX. I currently have an 06 STi and where I work I can stand in one spot, spin 360, and see at least 5 other STi's of varying years. I want something that people don't see everyday. Something that's going to break someone's neck as they spin their head around to try and get another glimpse so it. I've thought about getting an Imported R32 GTR but even those are popping up everywhere in my area now so I quickly scratched that off my list. For those of you that are fortunate enough to own one of these fantastic exotics, enjoy every second of it. No one buys an exotic sports car to "blend" in. I love the attention that even my car gets so I can't wait for the day that I get to open the garage and stare at an NSX parked there.

Like others have said, I get asked almost the same questions every time I drive it. Funny story, I was in Houston at one of their Cars and Coffee events and I was driving through what I remember to be a mall parking lot. This guy with shades on was getting out of his Acura TL and had a cigar in his mouth. He instantly stopped dead in his tracks as I was waiting on a chance to drive through in intersection, his cigar went limp in his mouth, and he gave me a hearty thumbs up. That is what this car does to people. I have never had anybody chase me down, but I also do not drive it as much as I'd like to. I also have an FD Rx7, so I am used to getting attention from owning an iconic 90's Japanese sport/super car. It is always refreshing to talk to somebody that actually knows what they are looking at. Most don't have a clue, lol.

Last edited:
The first day I brought it home a few of my friends said 'dude you own a unicorn' ha, the name stuck.. glad I'm not the only one who gets theirs referred to as such.

The day I bought mine, the previous owner warned me about how much attention I'd get. When I drove away, I was around the corner from his house, probably about 150 yards away at the very first stop light and a guy pulls up beside me, rolls down his window, gives me the thumbs up, and tells me what a sick NSX it is, so clean, and how you never see them. Since then, nothing but more attention. I've had 2-3 people who were actually hanging half way outta their car windows doing crazy fist pumps and 'woo-hoos' and almost falling out. Lol, those were pretty funny, I hafta admit, and my GF couldn't believe it. I was like "I told ya." Haha. True story. All the attention is kinda annoying, but can be fun/funny at the same time.

This past Thursday on way to meet buddy for a hike at a State Park (proximate to greater Detroit area), gentleman pulls up beside my /94 Formula Red in a near new Charger/Challenger (can't keep them straight -- the 2 door with big engine) and rolls window down asking what year and complimenting the car -- he knew what he was looking at. I told him I like his car a lot and he said thanks but dismissed the compliment saying that not remotely in same league as the NSX. The car does attract a good degree of attention -- most of it good. To be honest, I would like to have one of those Charger/Challengers to play with at least for a week or two.

Bavaria, I agree with you, I saw my first Hellcat Charger (2 door) the other day, and other than the fact that the car is the size of a tug boat, I thought it was awesome and I was happy to live in a world where cars like that still exist.

Bavaria, I agree with you, I saw my first Hellcat Charger (2 door) the other day, and other than the fact that the car is the size of a tug boat, I thought it was awesome and I was happy to live in a world where cars like that still exist.

Still exist???
The Hellcat pair are the most powerful models to ever roll off the assembly lines of a big-3 U.S. manufacturer. The cars have stupid power that is only a few ticks shy of the mighty Ferrari F12 Berlinetta and the Pegani Huayra, but you can get six or seven Helcats for the price of a single Bertlinetta. We are near or at the crest of a golden age of internal combustion. Enjoy it. It will not last forever.

Last edited:
[MENTION=24712]tof[/MENTION], that's what I mean, I'm glad cars like that can still exist in today's world of CAFE standards and stricter emission regulations. And those hellcats might become collectibles in the future. But back to the topic, NSXs are unicorns!

The hellcat unicorn would have to be some kind of horny elephant compared to our cute little ponies :)
A buddy of mine really wanted one, but they are all sold out in canada. He ended up buying a c class instead hehe. I can see those becoming collector items for sure

The hellcat unicorn would have to be some kind of horny elephant compared to our cute little ponies :)
A buddy of mine really wanted one, but they are all sold out in canada. He ended up buying a c class instead hehe. I can see those becoming collector items for sure

WTF is a "c class"?

merc...

A Mercury?!?

How is that even on the radar of someone wanting an NSX???

Back