• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX: Owning a Unicorn

A Mercedes-Benz?

AGAIN, why is that even on the radar of someone desiring NSX?

That makes as much sense as wanting a Corvette, not locating one, so then buying a Suburban.

Seriously...?!?

That wasn't the point. It was that a Hellcat may be a different kind of unicorn than the NSX (the analogy there was an elephantcorn), and that scarcity leads people to other choices (in that example, a C-class) and can fuel the desirability of a car. It's a different world from an NSX and I agree (as would everyone here, I imagine) that nobody would buy a C-class as a substitute to the NSX. You may proceed with your love for the NSX, unadulterated by impure thoughts of a sedan.

To the owner of the "c class": my condolences on your unfortunate purchase.

:D

He ended up buying a c class instead hehe.

I don't know what all the confusion is about, I think the "hehe" perfectly explained how ridiculous it was to go from a Hellcat 700hp American made car to a entry point 200hp German car. I've seen that before, not everybody sticks to one class of car when they can't get one, people go in for a Dodge Ram diesel truck, can't find one and come home with a Nissan Sentra, it happens, it's not the end of the world.

I don't know what all the confusion is about, I think the "hehe" perfectly explained how ridiculous it was to go from a Hellcat 700hp American made car to a entry point 200hp German car. I've seen that before, not everybody sticks to one class of car when they can't get one, people go in for a Dodge Ram diesel truck, can't find one and come home with a Nissan Sentra, it happens, it's not the end of the world.

(in my best Emily Litella voice): "Oh...nevermind."

I thought the guy wanted an NSX...I didn't know he wanted a "Hellcat" (aka Chrysler 300 on steroids with a different body to make it slightly resemble an iconic '70's muscle car.)

NOW I see how he could be flipped to a Mercedes-Benz...he's not a "car guy"...LOL!

Yeah, who would want a C-class Mercedes with a 4 liter twin turbo V-8 pumping out 503 HP and 516 lb-ft of twist? Who wants to go from 0 to 60 in under four seconds in a car that will handle and brake with equal authority?

Oh, yeah...anyone who bought a C63S AMG.

I've had mine for 1 week driving around the OC and LA and it sure does turn heads and generate conversations and pictures. It definetly gets more attention than my other 2 cars. It is the sweetest unicorn I've ever owned and I truly enjoy having it as it's taken me 25 years from when I first sat in 1 in the summer of 1990 on a dealer showroom.

To me, I don't like how much attention the NSX gets when I go out. I prefer to keep it low key and not having strangers approach me randomly, find strangers taking pictures of my car when I return or am away, having strangers follow me, or having strangers hanging out the window taking pictures of me while I'm driving. It gets old QUICK.

Within one hour of buying the car and filling it up at the gas station, I already had some kid start taking pictures of my car while I was filling up. It has never stopped since...

The thing that annoys me is when the kids who play Grand Theft Auto or whatever recognize the car and then feel compelled to get right on my bumper! When driving my old car down Lake Shore Drive in Chicago once I watched a guy who had had enough of the tailgater behind him slam on his brakes, but only for a fraction of a second. Idiot behind backed way off..it was beautiful! I'd never have the nerve to do it, though, especially in the NSX😕.

The thing that annoys me is when the kids who play Grand Theft Auto or whatever recognize the car and then feel compelled to get right on my bumper! When driving my old car down Lake Shore Drive in Chicago once I watched a guy who had had enough of the tailgater behind him slam on his brakes, but only for a fraction of a second. Idiot behind backed way off..it was beautiful! I'd never have the nerve to do it, though, especially in the NSX.

I just gradually slow down until they pass me. Once, I had to go down to 40 mph on the interstate until the idiot got the message. He was videoing my car.

The thing that annoys me is when the kids who play Grand Theft Auto or whatever recognize the car and then feel compelled to get right on my bumper! When driving my old car down Lake Shore Drive in Chicago once I watched a guy who had had enough of the tailgater behind him slam on his brakes, but only for a fraction of a second. Idiot behind backed way off..it was beautiful! I'd never have the nerve to do it, though, especially in the NSX.

Well as a kid who grew up playing these video games, I had to laugh because you missed your video game reference by a generation. It wasn't Grand Theft Auto but Gran Turismo. And that game helped foster my and lots of peoples love of cars. Especially because in that game the most familiar view of the NSX was from the rear because the computer was always kicking your ass! Then you finally unlocked that car and basically could win any race from that point forward. Ah the memories.

Seriously though, I usually just change lanes, flash the brake lights a few times, or do as Lostbuckeye and ease off the gas and slowly start to slow down.

WTF is a "c class"?

A Mercury?!?

How is that even on the radar of someone wanting an NSX???

A Mercedes-Benz?

AGAIN, why is that even on the radar of someone desiring NSX?

That makes as much sense as wanting a Corvette, not locating one, so then buying a Suburban.

Seriously...?!?

To the owner of the "c class": my condolences on your unfortunate purchase.

:D

(in my best Emily Litella voice): "Oh...nevermind."

I thought the guy wanted an NSX...I didn't know he wanted a "Hellcat" (aka Chrysler 300 on steroids with a different body to make it slightly resemble an iconic '70's muscle car.)

NOW I see how he could be flipped to a Mercedes-Benz...he's not a "car guy"...LOL!

O.K., I'd just like to say "I'm sorry" that I was being piss-y and having bad bio rhythms day yesterday...not sure why.

Not to just blindly slam Mercedes-Benz (I actually like a couple of their cars...mainly a few SL's from years gone by), but I guess their current offerings just give me as many goose bumps as buying dental floss...no matter how fast they are.

Beyond that, I just don't have any love for domestic products (Hellcat)...again, no matter how fast they are.

If it isn't mid-engined, flat, low, and wide, then I just tend to look past it...with some exceptions.

I'll try to remember Thumper's quote from now on...

I've been through a lot of cars and while the new M3, C63, etc are quick they will never have the status of something like an NSX. They are powered-up entry-level luxury cars and they will always be outdated and significantly less desirable as soon as the next generation comes out. Same reason I've never been interested in the WRX, evo, etc... All great cars but not exactly "special". I think the market reflects this sentiment with the recent surge in demand for old 911s and the NSX.

Last edited:
I've been through a lot of cars and while the new M3, C63, etc are quick they will never have the status of something like an NSX. They are powered-up entry-level luxury cars and they will always be outdated and significantly less desirable as soon as the next generation comes out. Same reason I've never been interested in the WRX, evo, etc... All great cars but not exactly "special". I think the market reflects this sentiment with the recent surge in demand for old 911s and the NSX.

Yep, have to mirror this sentiment. Before purchasing an NSX, I would think of what could replace my S2000 and my train of thought would always go like this: A z4m would be a good replacement, but a boxter or cayman is technically faster, so I should get one of those, but they go through generational changes and are made to fill a segment below the 911, so they are not as good as they could be. This would lead me back to thinking about the NSX, which was made to be exceptional, reliable and special. Sure, it may not be that fast these days, compared to the cars I just mentioned.

The thing that annoys me is when the kids who play Grand Theft Auto or whatever recognize the car and then feel compelled to get right on my bumper! When driving my old car down Lake Shore Drive in Chicago once I watched a guy who had had enough of the tailgater behind him slam on his brakes, but only for a fraction of a second. Idiot behind backed way off..it was beautiful! I'd never have the nerve to do it, though, especially in the NSX😕.

I find just tapping the brakes enough to flash the brake lights usually gets tailgaters to back off.

Yep, have to mirror this sentiment. Before purchasing an NSX, I would think of what could replace my S2000 and my train of thought would always go like this: A z4m would be a good replacement, but a boxter or cayman is technically faster, so I should get one of those, but they go through generational changes and are made to fill a segment below the 911, so they are not as good as they could be. This would lead me back to thinking about the NSX, which was made to be exceptional, reliable and special. Sure, it may not be that fast these days, compared to the cars I just mentioned.
You must be my lost brother.

I will tell you what is the 2015 grown up carguy unicorn: Chevrolet SS :)

O.K., I'd just like to say "I'm sorry" that I was being piss-y and having bad bio rhythms day yesterday...not sure why.

It's all good.

...If it isn't mid-engined, flat, low, and wide, then I just tend to look past it...with some exceptions....

Try a new Mustang GT350 some time. Of course good luck finding one. But even a 2016 Mustang GT is pretty sweet.

- - - Updated - - -

Really well put!

Back