• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rumor mill: Type R coming in 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, and with the 488 you could keep going back to the greasy dealer and getting the odometer rolled back. That's real value.

sadly that bombshell has come and gone..but wow what a scam ...

Not to keep beating a dead horse, but here is a good review which pretty much sums up everything we’ve been talking about here for almost two years now. A type r lightweight version has been begged for in that 2 year time but asking more money for it will be an even bigger flop since the first sales. If you like the car, you have nothing to defend. I personally wasn’t blown away by it. Not by the looks, the fit, the finish, and mostly the drive. There’s some things I like about it though. The drive modes are a bunch of nonsense though if you ask me. Like the car has a gender crisis. It doesn’t know if it wants to be an ev,a supercar, or a grand tourer.
https://www.driveandreview.com/2016...e-biggest-automotive-failure-of-recent-times/

I just read that "review". Seems like it's negative for negative's sake.

But it says it was written in August 2016. And in the last paragraph he says he hasn't seen one NSX yet, and they've been for two years now. What?

True, it’s an old article. But the car hasn’t changed at all in two years so a lot of it remains to be true. Maybe not the seen out in the wild statement though. They’d sell tons of these cars at 100k I think. I’d buy one. But not what they’re asking for it so i’ll Just continue to throw stones.:biggrin: Besides, I’m going back to the Germans on my next car. I’m not a internet racer or a car reviewer i’m just an average consumer and this product at current price is not that great.

This thread is funny, most people are excited and the regular nsx bashers just keep on bashing.

i was actually quite surprised to hear a lot of current and prospective NSX owners say they have no interest in a Type-R...

I don't think it's surprising because the Type R models are more to generate brand/model interest than anything else. It keeps the automotive reviewers busy and happy.

Look at previous NSX Type R models. Besides being good investments through their exclusivity, what did they really provide for the extra money you spent? Less creature comforts in trade for a modest improvement in driving dynamics.

Anyone can take the old NSX and enhance it with appropriate weight reduction and GOOD aftermarket suspension and handling parts to make it outperform a Type R NSX.

I have no interest in a new Type R NSX either. Now a targa NSX on the other hand....

Same.

The current car is fast enough for my needs, and the handling puts a big grin on my face. I don't pine for a more hardcore version that could go around a track a few seconds faster, but have less creature comforts, worse ride, etc...

If I wanted a track toy, there are many other better and cheaper options.

But a targa top would get me to drive to my dealer to trade asap.

This thread sure has gotten depressing. You guys are making it seem like the NSX program is about to be cancelled. The investment dollars are already spent. I think the car will soldier on probably for many years, just like the Gen 1, with Acura rolling out a couple updates every couple years.

No kidding. I'm more active on acurazine and reddit...and many people are quite critical of the NSX already. I was hoping to read/see more excitement and discussion of the type R on here but seems quite the opposite. ANd indeed there does seem to be a difference between owners and non-owners.

What does Honda have to do to please people? Maybe they should've made it 600+hp weighing 3000lbs and get multiple track records AND cost 100k....that'll probably make some people happy.....lol

Last edited:
No kidding. I'm more active on acurazine and reddit...and many people are quite critical of the NSX already.

What does Honda have to do to please people? Maybe they should've made it 600+hp weighing 3000lbs and get multiple track records AND cost 100k....that'll probably make some people happy.....lol

no joke, with the formula you just described you'd have 100% satisfaction rate for sure...

no joke, with the formula you just described you'd have 100% satisfaction rate for sure...

Yeah no kidding.

I'm not familiar with automotive bean counting, but honestly if halo cars are loss leaders anyway, why not go all out even if there's a big loss.

The issue is how much loss can they accept. Because I'm sure it can be done...they just will lose lot of money in the process....but they'll get insane reviews/press.

But the issue is if it was MSRP'ed at 100k, there will be incredible dealer markups and the market demand will likely drive it up 40-50k.....(see GT 350 / 911R / etc. markups).

Last edited:
No kidding. I'm more active on acurazine and reddit...and many people are quite critical of the NSX already. I was hoping to read/see more excitement and discussion of the type R on here but seems quite the opposite. ANd indeed there does seem to be a difference between owners and non-owners.

The hp and weight are not that far off of what a “Type-R” would be if Honda decided to do it. It’s not hard. More CF body panels, stripped interior, all hybrid components gone, and push the output of that Cossie V6 up 20%. Not sure if it’d get all the records, but it would be a seriously fast car around a track.

But people thinking the car is overpriced and it should have costed closer to $100k are just really dellusional. The old car held a MSRP of $90k for years. So when it went away, we’re people expecting inflation to affect everything else except the price of a NSX for the 12 years of time that went by before the new car came out? The starting price of $156k I think is fair for a supercar. Honda forcing everyone to take the $10k brake option for the bulk of the first year of cars was a bit bait and switchey, but quite a few people got $30k+ discounts which I think did a good job offsetting things. If you managed to get a base car and get that big discount, you got a helluva bargain.

A car I like to compare the NSX to is the Lexus LFA. A car that took too long in committees to get finalized before it actually got released, and by the time it did, it was impossible to live up to the hype and wasn’t as relevant in the market since it didn’t come up as the absolute fastest you could buy. And also many feel it was absurdly overpriced. But...the people that did actually buy one think it’s an amazing car and will keep it for many years. The NSX has that same effect on the people that have actually bought one.

If any of you have gotten up underneath (or behind) the car when the panels are off, you'll probably notice that there is a ton of weight that can be saved in hardware alone. Chris at SoS has mentioned it as well, but it amazes me how many bolts are longer than necessary with extra threads sticking out everywhere. I can imagine that the weights of these would add up pretty quickly if the entire car was scrutinized.

is it like my attic where all these long ass roofing nails are poking beyond the anchor beams:eek:

The NSX 2.0 lost in Tsukuba vs the GT-R Nismo. Twice. Tsuchiya noted that the GT-R felt much faster than the NSX 2.0. In another track test in Europe, the fact that the batteries in the NSX 2.0 shut off at 120mph really hurt its performance. A GT-R Premium delivers more performance for $90K brand new. The NSX 2.0 Type R would indeed sell to collectors, but by the time it arrives, the competition will be playing with different cards.

https://youtu.be/01XQzYz1c6I

https://youtu.be/pJ7vz7Rx7cs

https://drivetribe.com/p/honda-nsx-...qKhARUiUz0UoT0cd9g?iid=T4otKRQrSIa9e8IHEvNPyQ

is it like my attic where all these long ass roofing nails are poking beyond the anchor beams:eek:

:biggrin:

Maybe not that bad, lol. I noticed it first with some of the heat shield bolts when i was installing the downpipes. They were literally twice as long as they needed to be. From there on out, I noticed them all over the place.

A GT-R Premium delivers more performance for $90K brand new. The NSX 2.0 Type R would indeed sell to collectors, but by the time it arrives, the competition will be playing with different cards.

Not sure where you can get a $110,000 GTR Premium for $90k...also yes the Type-R will sell to collectors and track enthusiasts and they will happily pay the $250k price tag. The GTR will continue to sell to those looking to make 1500 horsepower. Let's see what nissan does with their first performance hybrid before we talk about Acura being the one behind.

You can get loaded 2017 GTR’s for less than 100K right now....

New or on the used market though? I know you can on the used market but that is very different than buying these cars new.

You can buy brand new 2017 GT-Rs for $85-$90K. You can buy brand new 2018 GT-R Base Models for $99K sticker, which is very negotiable. The 2018 Base GT-R lists for more than $10K less than the 2018 Premium GT-R. There is no difference in performance, just interior drivel primarily.
Btw Nissan may try for a 720s approach for the R36 GT-R rather than try the NSX 2.0 route-- "just make a much faster Turbo engine with ultra light weight, etc." I don't think any Nissan exec is willing to bet their bonus on copying Honda's business plan.

You can buy brand new 2017 GT-Rs for $85-$90K. You can buy brand new 2018 GT-R Base Models for $99K sticker, which is very negotiable. The 2018 Base GT-R lists for more than $10K less than the 2018 Premium GT-R. There is no difference in performance, just interior drivel primarily.
Btw Nissan may try for a 720s approach for the R36 GT-R rather than try the NSX 2.0 route-- "just make a much faster Turbo engine with ultra light weight, etc." I don't think any Nissan exec is willing to bet their bonus on copying Honda's business plan.

Lots of talk around of the r36 having a hybrid powertrain. At this point who knows but I personally wouldn't be surprised to see it offered. GTR has always been a ton of car for the money. The NSX can also be a lot of car for the money for very different reasons.

Lots of talk around of the r36 having a hybrid powertrain. At this point who knows but I personally wouldn't be surprised to see it offered. GTR has always been a ton of car for the money. The NSX can also be a lot of car for the money for very different reasons.

you are the eternal Honda optimist dshinke21... :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back