• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So, I moved to Tokyo

What was the motivation for moving? Was it your idea or your wife's idea?

I almost did the same thing as you to Germany this year. But then covid hit and I backed off. Good thing too because we got a bigger house so we are more anchored here in the US.

I liked Japan when we went but it was too hard to find fresh fruit. Besides not speaking Japanese I really enjoyed it.

My motivation was really quite simple; it was far easier for me to get a Japanese Visa than it was for my wife to get an American Visa. US visa takes at least one year (usually more) vs Japan it took me three months.

Her work visa expired and she had to return to Japan about two years into dating, while I was pretty sure I wanted to marry her, it felt super forced and the right decision for the wrong reason is still a bad decision. It gave me time to focus on graduating school (was in my senior year of CSUF) and space to make this decision with a clear head.

Aside from the extended timeline (1 year minimum) to get her visa, the invasive interview process was a huge turn off for me (where they ask REALLY personal questions) and there was no way my wife answered them (Japanese being all shy and indirect)

A big factor in my decision to go was my getting to know and understand my wife better. Japanese is a SUPER strong culture and aside from some VERY limited superficial knowledge I had 0 idea how to really communicate with her (in English or Japanese) and there’s no better way to learn a culture and language than to dive into the place head first.

I “MAY” have gotten a little over my head with this decision. So far though it’s been a fun adventure.

P.S. you CAN get fresh fruit in Tokyo, just be prepared to pay out the nose for it. (That’s a 3 pack of grapes for ~$45USD)
9046b530e26e90612206c82cbd7c5185.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WT#.....you better suck on those grapes so they last longer.....:eek:

Wonderful pictures, thank you for sharing. Wow, that's a car paradise.

Also, thanks for taking a close up of the blue NSX with custom day-time running lights. I have seen it on SS, but never up close. I really like the look.
The glare makes it hard to see, but did it look like a whole new light cover or simply a hole in the original?

I heard that in Japan, they have lots of Auto, mainly due to the lifestyle? Perhaps you can help confirm with some of the locals?

Enjoy your new home. Continue to share photos and stories please. :)

The blue NSX owner’s name is Seito San, SUPER nice guy with tons of passion for the NSX. Most of the parts on his car he made himself.

The DRLs were SUPER slick. Custom modified oem covers.

It’s a 92 that’s been heavily modded with suspension and aero. Sees some track time and he drives like a bat out of H-E-[emoji970][emoji970] it was hilarious and sounded GLORIOUS.

Yes, you heard correct. An overwhelming amount of standard NSXs are AT here. Tons of the ones that are currently running around have been converted to MT. Dunno why they were originally ordered with AT though, will look into it more.

Not the OP, but just giving my 2 cents based on my own experience.

In order to get licensed in Japan you need to do the practical (road) test with the type of transmission that you are applying the license for. So for a manual transmission license, you need to take the practical test with a manual transmission car.

Only about 20% of the drivers in Japan are licensed to drive a manual transmission car. (This is based on what I learned from the driving school that I attended)

This is true now and has been for a number of years, but I was recently corrected that this was not the case during the 90’s. You could drive anything you wishes assuming you got a drivers license.

I was in the same boat as the OP, since I didn't want to drive around in Osaka with my IDL driver's license + CO license and getting into trouble (by law you can't drive more than 1 year with an IDL in Japan, not sure about US military personnel, if you get caught you won't be able to legally drive at all in the future in Japan).

So I ended up attending an official Driving School and doing the full coursework (lectures in Japanese, on site and public road driving). Time consuming, but it was a breeze for the most part once you know exactly what the instructors were looking for. Some of the instructors were also certified license examiners so made the whole process more efficient and took the guesswork out of going through the process of taking the practical test.

The difference in price between the AT and the MT classes was about $400, more on road classes for the MT class. $3200 for MT vs $2800 for AT so there is the economic factor as well.

Props to you for taking the course, I wasn’t about to drop that kind of money. I went through the awkward process of getting my license transferred. Still had to take the tests (written and practical) but managed to avoid taking the classes.

The IDL are only valid for 1 year no matter the country and driving without a license (or driving a MT car with AT license) has serious repercussions here.

Driving truly is a privilege in Japan.

FWIW I failed the practical tests for car and motorcycle (400cc or less) once each, which is apparently very good for not taking the course. I have an American friend that failed 7 times!

WT#.....you better suck on those grapes so they last longer.....:eek:

Those were the “more affordable grapes” too. I’ve seen single bunches for that amount.

Melons (cantaloupe) here can be $100+
A watermelon from specific Hokkaido farm is roughly $300

Hah! My (very limited) understanding is that those special melons and tomatoes are more gifts for special occasions. No one actually buys them for themselves. Anyway, my wife loved it there but we both need fruit in our lives.

I have a lot of Indian friends who went through the same interview process. Yes, it is not very tough but they definitely give a hard time to Indians especially, since there are so many applicants (and also a lot of fraud).

Your choice to move to Japan is a good one. I have a buddy who did the same thing from the US to Brazil and within 3 years he was speaking fluent Portuguese. I would recommend not living in a 'bubble' and trying to only speak Japanese and make as many connections as possible. Otherwise, it's like when people travel to foreign countries and eat at McDonalds. What's the point?

Glad to know there are lots of NSX's there. Another guess of mine is that in other countries, every car is a manual and a 'luxury' car like the NSX should be ordered with an automatic because it does the hard work for you. However, in the US it is backwards since only enthusiasts and foreigners drive manuals. I have been to Thailand and Brazil and that seems to be the case. It is just the culture in place.

Hah! My (very limited) understanding is that those special melons and tomatoes are more gifts for special occasions. No one actually buys them for themselves. Anyway, my wife loved it there but we both need fruit in our lives.

I have a lot of Indian friends who went through the same interview process. Yes, it is not very tough but they definitely give a hard time to Indians especially, since there are so many applicants (and also a lot of fraud).

Your choice to move to Japan is a good one. I have a buddy who did the same thing from the US to Brazil and within 3 years he was speaking fluent Portuguese. I would recommend not living in a 'bubble' and trying to only speak Japanese and make as many connections as possible. Otherwise, it's like when people travel to foreign countries and eat at McDonalds. What's the point?

Glad to know there are lots of NSX's there. Another guess of mine is that in other countries, every car is a manual and a 'luxury' car like the NSX should be ordered with an automatic because it does the hard work for you. However, in the US it is backwards since only enthusiasts and foreigners drive manuals. I have been to Thailand and Brazil and that seems to be the case. It is just the culture in place.

Yeah you’re right about the melons and crazy expensive foods. Usually gifts of special occasions.

I have been actively fighting against becoming a “bubble boy” for those exact reasons. Though I must admit there is the occasional McDonald’s trip (usually weird seasonal item trips with wifey)

I tried only speaking Japanese, but Anna (wife) doesn’t want to lose her English lololol

I love the stratos, there was a Delta EVOII also. Such a great bunch of cars and cool people

Jonathan, I hate NSX Prime! I wanted to post a photo of my car vegging in my garage for you but after logging in over and over and over I still can't. I forgot that this is a huge problem for me. Anyway, it was nice hearing your voice tonight!!

Jonathan, I hate NSX Prime! I wanted to post a photo of my car vegging in my garage for you but after logging in over and over and over I still can't. I forgot that this is a huge problem for me. Anyway, it was nice hearing your voice tonight!!

Yeah, posting pics from the computer is a pain. The only way I’ve been able to do it reasonably easy is by my phone (Tapatalk)

It was super nice chatting with you, lifted my spirits. You always make me laugh girlie Q

So, being married to a Japanese (born and raised) woman has its own set of challenges, but has perks as well.

Sometimes on her way home from work she will send me pictures of “old cars” the thinks I will like (first two pics)

And the second is she doesn’t mind tagging along on crazy car and car part hunting errands with me OR if I just wanna bounce with friends and do my own car thing she is happy as a clam being on her own.

So it’s been a world of change for me in a very short time; my first “real” year of marriage is coming up* as well first year in Tokyo, and our first full year of officially living together.

Lots of firsts. It hasn’t always been easy, but it’s still quite a lot of fun and an awesome experience.

f31248e38c1750e3da0084b231c47d52.jpg

b32a10b8274b46d21d202af8179a8706.jpg

d189d1c45bbf653091c86cddff0b890e.jpg

07e0870e0066401a593679c8c3a07882.jpg

71b81d5fa273804baac3ad1a1c4d5dbf.jpg

Two years ago, before I was married or lived in Tokyo I visited the Honda Museum in Motegi.

What a terrific experience and something I recommend to any Honda fan.

25466f343940e41363334a74a05edc52.jpg

4b8c9d1c1d0ccf7e670f173b2fa1bf8d.jpg

92b4e894ff1617280679241616e114e2.jpg

27dec6674ddcc891aac944429e545250.jpg

e4bdd1e3831b7d751caed3c0a551b0bf.jpg

653290a5fe915c6ee448497fa5b72586.jpg

0a63b51be75679796efab490cd396812.jpg

21ec7141a7f1e0084125c169b49791a0.jpg

fc6a2ac3bae66bdfbec528b9f14be9e1.jpg

My motivation was really quite simple; it was far easier for me to get a Japanese Visa than it was for my wife to get an American Visa. US visa takes at least one year (usually more) vs Japan it took me three months.

Her work visa expired and she had to return to Japan about two years into dating, while I was pretty sure I wanted to marry her, it felt super forced and the right decision for the wrong reason is still a bad decision. It gave me time to focus on graduating school (was in my senior year of CSUF) and space to make this decision with a clear head.

Aside from the extended timeline (1 year minimum) to get her visa, the invasive interview process was a huge turn off for me (where they ask REALLY personal questions) and there was no way my wife answered them (Japanese being all shy and indirect)

My wife recently passed her naturalization exam, yes they ask very personal questions. Her visa process took 6-7 months but as a fiancé VISA. Citizenship process and exam was very easy for her. if you’d like some guidance let me know, I filed all the docs without a lawyer.

My wife recently passed her naturalization exam, yes they ask very personal questions. Her visa process took 6-7 months but as a fiancé VISA. Citizenship process and exam was very easy for her. if you’d like some guidance let me know, I filed all the docs without a lawyer.

Thank you!

I looked into it but my our case was a wee bit difficult and tricky to try and get it done within a reasonable timeline.

The docs aren’t especially all that difficult. It wasn’t the filing it was the interview I knew my wife would never pass.

At this point we will have been married long enough should we decide to move back the process will be far easier.

Moar pics!!

I am sooooo jealous! You got to see the Le Mans 84 car! And the F1 engine! And Senna's car! Look at the Mugen GT500 engine- they shaved the aluminum casting off of the cylinder heads to save weight!

I am sooooo jealous! You got to see the Le Mans 84 car! And the F1 engine! And Senna's car! Look at the Mugen GT500 engine- they shaved the aluminum casting off of the cylinder heads to save weight!

The museum is an incredible place.

The valve covers are magnesium, and they’re custom! It’s totally sweet

Thanks for sharing. Those pictures are incredible.

How well are you learning Japanese?

One thing I miss about Japan is the service. They were so polite everywhere you go, and plus my wife felt very safe.

Then you come back to JFK airport and you have TSA yelling at people to get into lines and calling people stupid. Big contrast.

Thanks for sharing. Those pictures are incredible.

How well are you learning Japanese?

Thanks!

I’m getting better but far from conversational.

Hoping to take my beginner Japanese language proficiency test (JLPT). Which is a necessity if you want to work in anything other than an English teacher lol.

One thing I miss about Japan is the service. They were so polite everywhere you go, and plus my wife felt very safe.

Then you come back to JFK airport and you have TSA yelling at people to get into lines and calling people stupid. Big contrast.

Yes! The service ANYWHERE is pretty much first class.

To be fair, I’ve yelled and called TSA morons and assholes. So maybe it’s just an environmental thing lol

Eleven months and 6 days ago.

As some of you guys know I moved from my home in SoCal late last year (2019) to Tokyo Japan!

Been a pretty wild year for me, even before COVID.

Being here has brought a lot of things to light and tbh RYU brought me back to Prime with his “will you ever sell” thread. I’m glad he did, because I really miss all you crazies!

That said, Tokyo is a trip! It boggles my mind that I pay less for a one bedroom apartment in Tokyo than I did in SoCal! (No really)

I REALLY miss owning a car. I rent cars every few months just to get my fix, but it isn’t the same.

I was driving on an international driver’s license for a while, but with so many limitations on what I could rent, and not knowing how long my wife and I plan to stay here, I opted to transfer my CA licenses (car and bike) to Japan.

The tests were SO difficult, practical, not the written.

People always seem to write about how expensive Japan is, and I’ve found that it’s much like anywhere else: it is as expensive as you want it to be. Wanna love it up and go crazy American style? Yeah that’s pricey. You ok with living the basic Japanese lifestyle? You can get by pretty well and still have fun.

Finding work is a bit tougher than I had imagined; even a degree and boatload of experience isn’t enough so in the meantime I have two part time jobs that pay well enough.

Anyway, still pretty hyped to be out here doing something VERY different.

I’ma end this post meow and say goodbye (going to work) and I’ll keep updating everyone on this thread...if y’all are interested.

:cheers:
ba14bc2aad55364202af11f225220e34.jpg

It feels a bit crazy, but you look good, please protect your health

Happy thanksgiving to NSX Prime!

Came and went (posting on Friday, but turkey in the states)

Funny Japan tidbit; turkeys are not sold anywhere outside of some select Costco’s.

This factoid really is kind of bogus anyway because only a VERY select few ovens would be able to handle a turkey anyway (small ovens)

All that being said, the wife and I had a great holiday.

I spent all day prepping the food, brined the chicken the night before, everything turned out delicious!

The most expensive part of the holiday meal was the pecans for the pecan pie. 3 cups cost over $20USD!

bae1abe0d39fd93910b5fbf4ffea3f3d.jpg

b9362ea9b43a18cc33c5ede89e48ecc8.jpg

d4f1a94ce7eab8c7b4df9c12afa23e91.jpg

4150986d57f35db7a688560546f52c48.jpg

2d6414842ddec7200891350aa102b6db.jpg

5ecaeb485c817f8adf0a710154b1bf1b.jpg

I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe holiday. Miss ya bunch of crazies

Back