• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2014 F1 thread....

ok so watched both sessions live yesterday and it's only an hour or so before P3, first thoughts the front ends dont look that bad really at least all the cars look different, the sound well they are way quieter you can hear the radio communications and commentators maybe we will get used to it. But the way they are explaining the tech that is in them is really interesting and I for one are looking forward to this era '35% more power from a drop of fuel' was one quote.

Def quieter, but I love the fact you can hear the turbo, whistling, growling, energy recovery system and what not! I would love to have a street car sounding like that!

Could the FIA possibly have driven Formula 1 designers to less attractive and un-melodious cars. A weed-whacker with a ludicrus probiscus on the front.
The first time I heard a V10 F1 car coming down the front straight at Indianapolis, an unearthly wail echoing off the grand stand roof and reverberating through my soul, it gave me chills. Now I just want to mute the TV.

you're in luck, there's a mute button on your remote! :p

I miss the old manic 18,000rpm noise too, but like NsXrebel said, it's nice to hear the turbos again, been a long time. I set my alarm to wake up at 1am and watch the qualifiers, I thought they were really exciting especially with Ricciardo almost getting pole from Hamilton at the last second.

Vettel 13th?! Makes for some exciting racing tomorrow and lots of passing. I'm looking forward to this years F1. Maybe in 10 years all the cars will have Energy Recovery Systems too.

I LOVED how everyone cheered when Vettel didn't get P1 and Ricciardo was on provisional pole!

Take that kid index!!! BWAHAHAHA

Sadly I don't follow F1 in the off season ,so yes I heard the guys talking about it during the Melbourne practice coverage.Heart disease is a funny thing....with all his money and access to care Folks like John ie (Gandolfini) keel over every day,If they would just pay more attention to regular doctor visits with regular blood tests and some screening tests like cardiac calcium scoring ect folks might be more on top of their vascular health and nip a catastrophic event in the bud.Heck if you are over 50 and have a history of ^ lipids or family hx of heart dz and stroke and worse smoke.....for heavens sake at least take a baby aspirin every day.

I LOVED how everyone cheered when Vettel didn't get P1 and Ricciardo was on provisional pole!

Take that kid index!!! BWAHAHAHA

Thought the same. Mark Webber thinks that Ricciardo and Vettel will split qualis over the course of the season. I really hope Ricciardo gets the better of the wonder kid though. Guess I'm not the only one.

I was at the circuit on Friday and attended all practice sessions and can give a first ear impression of the new car sound....... An Aussie would best describe it as "a wet fart in an empty beer bottle"......

The two seater F1 car using a V10 was circulating regularly between practice and most people could compare ................all preferred the old sound !

Next thing they'll insist on a pink or rainbow team !!!!........ not one car sounds like they "have a pair"

Yes, mostly Ferrari's appeals if you go back all the way to the late 60's. They always threaten to pull out if they don't get their way.

Yes, in1976 when Ferrari pointed out the James Hunt's read wing was too long. Hunt won and got his points back. Hunt later was DQ at Silverstone for another issue. Works both ways.

Just read about the DQ. Go Button! Take that RBR! Too bad for Ricciardo, had a great race. Great race overall.

Well I went to the F1 in Melbourne as I do every year since 1989.

I'm glad I went to see and hear the new cars; because now I know that I never have to go see another F1 race live ever again...

You see, normally you can hear the F1 cars up till a 5-10km radius from the circuit and everyone is drawn to the sound and to see what all the commotion is about. At the track you can really FEEL the cars! So you put on the headphones or earplugs and you concentrate on what is going on on-the-track when they are out! Well I didn't need earplugs and could quite easily hold a conversation with anyone of the 10 or so people near me. The Porsche Cup cars were louder and sounded better! We are talking less that 95db here! You are no longer engrossed in the action and actually are not sure if the driver is "on-it" or backing off or has a problem or anything! Terrible for trying to determine if they are on a qualifying or cool down lap. There is no sound to give any indication anymore.

In actual fact, during the qualifying (it rained at the start of Q3) I moved to the beer tent and sat down with a beer and watched it on TV yet the track was just 20m away! This gave me an idea... How about race day I stay at home and watch it on TV!?
Well I did just that. Watching the F1 on TV was just as good as it normally is!

The sounds of the cars is gone and so is the atmosphere at the circuit. In fact the only time I saw the crowd get excited and get out of their chairs, cameras out and stop talking the whole weekend was when the F18 did its display for 5 minutes! The F18 was loud, burns fossil fuel and was fast and well just awesome! Now that technology is over 20years old and still got everyone’s attention and was loud enough that you had to stop talking and watch!

So I won't stop watching F1, I just won't go see it live anymore... Not worth it! You know there is a problem when the pace car sounds better than the race cars… F1 has become a TV show now... IMO.

Last edited:
Back