• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2014 F1 thread....

I feel like I'm the only one in the entire world that thinks the new cars sound cool in their own way. I for sure love the sound of a high pitched screaming exhaust note, but at the same time, I can get over the lack of volume because those motors are efficient yet incredibly powerful.

Ulrich Baretzky, head of engine development at Audi, says it best...
http://youtu.be/FFwoxM1MiBw?t=7m52s
"Noise is a form of energy, and the less you hear, that means the more you use for propulsion."

I agree they sound "cool" but they don't sound like fighter jets or wild animals anymore. I do like the spooling and whine of the turbo but the v8, v10, and v12 just sounded so good, even the twin turbo v6's of the 80's sound great in video...

most people(imho) don't pay money to be impressed by the thought of how efficient or green a race car is....they want to be thrilled by something.

What really sucks is alonso finished 5th, 30 odd seconds off the pace, Massa got punted off track on the first lap by Koby, and Vettel could barely get out of his own way.
The cars look a bit funny but then again so have many older cars. They may not sound great, but compared to a 3.5 liter Ferrari V-12 at 16,000 rpms, they all sound like crap. But the sport is about out thinking the competition and the rulebook.
My 2cents.
Miner

I've been on the F1 fan sidelines since Honda took their break from the sport. And I'll be damned if I let some no personality hyper efficient overly thought out drivetrain keep me from attending a race next year and not knowing when the cars are coming around the corners.

I've been to three F1 races, 2000 Indy, 2003 Montreal, and 2012 US COTA. I've also heard vintage V10 at Ferrari meets with F1 Cliente cars present.

There was no sound on earth equivalent to the V10 or V8 modern-era F1 cars. I used to think that the early 80's Jaguar XJR-4 V12 had the most awesome race car sound, like metal ripping, but it became a distant second to the most recent F1 cars. While I appreciate the technology in the 2014 F1 edition, with ERS-K and ERS-H, it just seems to be missing its magic.

The noise, ah, the noise. It was a totally overwhelming experience. When one car went by it was surreal. When 22 or 24 cars went by together at the start of a race before they spread out it was unreal. When they did spread out and were going by constantly, it was relentless.

I've been to many, many types of auto racing. Top Fuel was louder three seconds at a time, (marginally) but IMHO nothing, absolutely nothing, matched the sound of an 18,000 RPM F1 car.

I miss that. Sigh.

It just dawned on me. The 2015 Acura NSX, with V6 turbo hybrid power plant, will be the closest thing to a Formula 1 car when it comes out. The McLaren P1 is the other one that has a lot of Formula 1 technology in it, but even that one is a V8 and not the current F1 V6 configuration. Kind of makes the new NSX a little cooler in my book.

when the nsx first came out the honda racing programs and the spirit of the road car were in sync the chi was strong...I think they are trying to recapture that for 2015.......we will see.

when the nsx first came out the honda racing programs and the spirit of the road car were in sync the chi was strong...I think they are trying to recapture that for 2015.......we will see.

Yes but the NSX was not exactly a commercial success and failed to satisfy many of the critics....until nostalgia
and clear rear view vision set in. Only then did it acquire its well deserved crown. I sure hope it does not happen again, and have another fiasco like the new RL.

very true but logic would dictate that something that is valuable in retrospect is more important than something that is popular from the start (fad) but is short lived.

very true but logic would dictate that something that is valuable in retrospect is more important than something that is popular from the start (fad) but is short lived.

Only true iif your "valuable in retrospect" will bare fruits for the brand's future. As warm and fuzzy as the NSX exercise makes us feel, it did not bare any fruits for AH. In fact the Acura experiment in this country especially after the NSX (and of course the Integra) was a bad one. There were whispers last summer here on the west coast that Acura would either fold or be spun on its own. I am glad the second choice was picked. Remains to be seen if they can turn the tide. The new RL is a very bad start. My 2c

Sorry, totally forgot this thread is about F1.

Last edited:
Only true iif your "valuable in retrospect" will bare fruits for the brand's future. As warm and fuzzy as the NSX exercise makes us feel, it did not bare any fruits for AH. In fact the Acura experiment in this country especially after the NSX (and of course the Integra) was a bad one. There were whispers last summer here on the west coast that Acura would either fold or be spun on its own. I am glad the second choice was picked. Remains to be seen if they can turn the tide. The new RL is a very bad start. My 2c

Sorry, totally forgot this thread is about F1.

Fold? Spun on its own??

Isn't it "spun" on it's own already? Hence why it was named Acura in the first place, and those same cars were just Honda in Japan and elsewhere.

I guess you may have missed the latest news. Only a few weeks ago AH decided to spin Acura off and stand it alone, independent from Honda.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/11/honda-spinning-off-acura-official/

It's not "stand-alone" in it's strictest sense, they're just separating sales and marketing…and possibly giving Acura it's own vehicle budget. So maybe we'll see the turbo CTR as an Acura or with a different shell but same drivetrain. Lord knows, bringing over the CTR would be less costly than the development of the ZDX and produce more sales.

It's not "stand-alone" in it's strictest sense, they're just separating sales and marketing…and possibly giving Acura it's own vehicle budget. So maybe we'll see the turbo CTR as an Acura or with a different shell but same drivetrain. Lord knows, bringing over the CTR would be less costly than the development of the ZDX and produce more sales.

Boggles the mind doesn't it?? The drivetrain might cost a little more, but everything else should cost less since they use less materials, i.e. sound deadening, no A/C, etc.. and they charge a premium over other models. I would think profits would be even higher with Type R models.

That's basically the same move that Nissan made with Infiniti, and I think it is working out well for the image of both brands. And to keep this post relevant ~ my understanding is that this move 'upmarket' coincided with last year's rebranding of the Red Bull Team to Infiniti Red Bull to really highlight the move upmarket.

Back