• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2014 F1 thread....

Well I went to the F1 in Melbourne as I do every year since 1989.

I'm glad I went to see and hear the new cars; because now I know that I never have to go see another F1 race live ever again...

You see, normally you can hear the F1 cars up till a 5-10km radius from the circuit and everyone is drawn to the sound and to see what all the commotion is about. At the track you can really FEEL the cars!

The sounds of the cars is gone and so is the atmosphere at the circuit. In fact the only time I saw the crowd get excited and get out of their chairs, cameras out and stop talking the whole weekend was when the F18 did its display for 5 minutes! The F18 was loud, burns fossil fuel and was fast and well just awesome! Now that technology is over 20years old and still got everyone’s attention and was loud enough that you had to stop talking and watch!

So I won't stop watching F1, I just won't go see it live anymore... Not worth it! You know there is a problem when the pace car sounds better than the race cars… F1 has become a TV show now... IMO.

So this is the reason why the circuit is suing...

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/307906/australian-gp-says-sound-breached-contract/

Well I went to the F1 in Melbourne as I do every year since 1989.

I'm glad I went to see and hear the new cars; because now I know that I never have to go see another F1 race live ever again...

Thats tough for Formula 1, not only will the "new technology" not attract new fans, but it's making long time fans unhappy too.

I watched a video of the different F1 engine noises, V12, V10, etc. A lot of the sport is that sweet high revving, visceral sound as the cars approach and pass by.

Hopefully they can make some quick changes and get the noise entertainment back by next GP.

short of electronic sound....what can be done to a puny 1.6 l motor with a huge turbocharger to improve the sound?

short of electronic sound....what can be done to a puny 1.6 l motor with a huge turbocharger to improve the sound?

Rev to 20,000? :D

Glad to see my boy Jenson with a good finish. The kid looks great too- podium in his first race for Macca!

Maybe they can loosen the rules on exhaust pipe diameter, restrictors, etc. I don't know all the rules, but looks like they are going to look into doing something about it.
Reving back to 18,000 would be awesome.
its ok if it's just a little quieter, but they don't sound like they are near the point of explosion like before and always.

The problem is the turbo...it acts like a large muffler.Plus the lower booming tone of the current cars is likely in part due to larger diameter piping.To F1 it up they would need to lengthen and decrease the diameter.

It's unfortunate that the current engines sounds like dog poo. The current specs can translate the R&D closer to cars we all can drive in the near future. Pushing it up to 14K rpms again or even 20K will put it that much further out of reach again. The trickle down effect of the technology will be much harder to realize.

There's still plenty to trickle down. ERS, aerodynamics, fuel consumption, turbo efficiency, cockpit safety, etc. without making the engines the same as a Civic Si. I understand the closer relationship to current engines, but it should still be at insane levels of power and still have that manic sound.

Last edited:
It's unfortunate that the current engines sounds like dog poo. The current specs can translate the R&D closer to cars we all can drive in the near future. Pushing it up to 14K rpms again or even 20K will put it that much further out of reach again. The trickle down effect of the technology will be much harder to realize.

Pushing these engine towards 20k RPM's doesn't mean tech doesn't trickle down. Remember, these engines are only made to last so many miles, only a small fraction of what production cars are meant to last.

The problem is the turbo...it acts like a large muffler.Plus the lower booming tone of the current cars is likely in part due to larger diameter piping.To F1 it up they would need to lengthen and decrease the diameter.

I am not sure what the configuration of 1985-1988 turbo car exhaust was but I spent a few races in the pits at the time and I remember being in awe of the sound of the cars accelerating out of pit lane or zooming past on the front straight. But I do agree, the sounds of this past Sunday were terrible.

I went to the F1 GP's in 1986 and 1987 in Adelaide and the sound was incredible so they can make a sound that is intoxicating with V6 Turbo's however those cars didn't have anywhere near the tech these new cars have and without knowing much about how they harvest all that power maybe that's part of it, there's nothing left to make a noise

Just got back home last night.

Firstly I'm disgusted with the sound of the new engines. Totally unacceptable when the local V8 Taxis, and Porsche Rent-a-Car's sound more racy than an F1 car! The SuperGT cars using their new turbo motors in Sepang last December also sounded better :( Good God, you could even maintain a conversation track side, as 20 odd F1 cars raced past just meters away!!!

A friend with me said "don't take it so bad, you'll get used to it soon enough", which is true, UNTIL they used one of last years cars in the usual "Speed Comparison" events. That was just a very sad moment!

Daniel, the son of a friend of mine, proved to the doubters he has what it takes - in spades. Knowing his father so well, it couldn't happen to a nicer family, as the family invested heavily in Daniel's F1 future. And the little I've had to do with Daniel shows me he is a chip of his old man's shoulder, a wonderfully down to earth, genuinely friendly type. If success doesn't spoil him, he'll be a very popular fellow in F1.

In a nut shell, the Fuel Flow Meters supplied in F1 are regulated by the FIA - not the teams. The teams check the meter's flow rates against their own calculations, but regardless of that, it is very clear in the F1 regulations that the FIA remains the sole arbitrator of the actual flow rates permitted. The FIA checks with the team that the meters are within the desired accuracy, and if there is a discrepancy between the flow rates indicated by the FIA meter, and the team's own calculations, the actual flow rate allowed in the car can ONLY BE WHAT THE FIA PERMITS. Red Bull ignored the FIA's directive to maintain a fuel rate they would allow for that particular meter [based on how it had flowed during practice], based on the FIA's calculations, but Red Bull chose to ignore that directive, and use their own calculations. Autosport website has a number of articles on the issue.

Can't see Red Bull's appeal being successful [though stranger things have happened in F1 in the past]. Pity as Ricciardo drove splendidly all weekend.

I am not sure what the configuration of 1985-1988 turbo car exhaust was but I spent a few races in the pits at the time and I remember being in awe of the sound of the cars accelerating out of pit lane or zooming past on the front straight. But I do agree, the sounds of this past Sunday were terrible.

The engines were V6 but TWIN turbo as opposed to the large single turbo of today, at least for Honda. Also, being twin turbo, they had dual exhaust pipes, which means they would also sound different than today. RPM's were relatively the same, between 12k - 14k RPM's. So clearly the big difference is the huge single turbo and the single exhaust. Maybe the harmonics of a single exhaust make it sound quieter. Raising the RPM would help them get louder, but as you can see, the RPM's back then weren't higher than today, so it has more to do with the exhaust setup.

The engines were V6 but TWIN turbo as opposed to the large single turbo of today, at least for Honda. Also, being twin turbo, they had dual exhaust pipes, which means they would also sound different than today. RPM's were relatively the same, between 12k - 14k RPM's. So clearly the big difference is the huge single turbo and the single exhaust. Maybe the harmonics of a single exhaust make it sound quieter. Raising the RPM would help them get louder, but as you can see, the RPM's back then weren't higher than today, so it has more to do with the exhaust setup.

Makes good sense.

Bernie is promising noisier cars
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcFHy?...&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=formula-1

I'm left in a conundrum. On one hand its sad that at the expense of ultimate technological advancements we, the fans (myself included) are asking for revisions to the design simply for the sake of sound. F1 is suppose to challenge the upper limits of engineering and design...the sound is a byproduct.

Just imagine if Henry Ford made the electric car popular instead then 100yrs later someone comes out with a gas car. We all would think its absolutely horrid sounding I'm sure...

When someone makes the trickle down argument as being still there...well of course it is..but its the difference of how much effort and extra time is required to translate the specs and lessons learned to a street car. The fact is...an all out race motor that spins at 20k rpm and has a different displacement is further in design than the fia standards are this year. This, I thought, was why Honda is coming back... The specs are closer to what actually can be built WITHOUT having to redesign heaven and earth.

The 80's turbo V6 was slightly smaller, at 1.5L, revved lower, yet sounder louder. ;)

I am not sure what the configuration of 1985-1988 turbo car exhaust was.

The problem is engine and exhaust configuration. I'm not sure what the configuration for the current engine is, but the Honda V6 turbos were 60degree blocks. They had 2 turbos but one on each bank, so the harmonics were different as well.

Rev to 20,000? :D

Glad to see my boy Jenson with a good finish. The kid looks great too- podium in his first race for Macca!

I was happy to see Jenson and the new kid score points. Hope they can keep up their form, especially Button. This year I'm rooting for the Scuderia though! Glad to see Williams doing better too!

as was stated earlier by our ausy owners...when you come down to it watching a car race at the venue is kinda a fleeting sporadic thing ....the cars come around and you try to figure out who is who.What the old F1 had was the element of sound and ripping auditory trauma:wink:....without that visceral stimulus their is a palpable loss sitting there.The beer becomes more important.

I feel like I'm the only one in the entire world that thinks the new cars sound cool in their own way. I for sure love the sound of a high pitched screaming exhaust note, but at the same time, I can get over the lack of volume because those motors are efficient yet incredibly powerful.

Ulrich Baretzky, head of engine development at Audi, says it best...
http://youtu.be/FFwoxM1MiBw?t=7m52s
"Noise is a form of energy, and the less you hear, that means the more you use for propulsion."

as was stated earlier by our ausy owners...when you come down to it watching a car race at the venue is kinda a fleeting sporadic thing ....the cars come around and you try to figure out who is who.What the old F1 had was the element of sound and ripping auditory trauma:wink:....without that visceral stimulus their is a palpable loss sitting there.The beer becomes more important.

What does sound level have to do with trying to figure out who is who on track??

I feel like I'm the only one in the entire world that thinks the new cars sound cool in their own way. I for sure love the sound of a high pitched screaming exhaust note, but at the same time, I can get over the lack of volume because those motors are efficient yet incredibly powerful.

Ulrich Baretzky, head of engine development at Audi, says it best...
http://youtu.be/FFwoxM1MiBw?t=7m52s
"Noise is a form of energy, and the less you hear, that means the more you use for propulsion."

Yes, the new cars are cool in their own way, but I prefer the banshee wail of the previous cars, specially the 80's cars since we are back in a new turbo era.
Given the lackluster of the engine volume or lack of, I'm still gonna watch F1.

You should see the boys over at FChat, all the bitching, whining, crying, saying it's the end of F1 and that they're not watching anymore and moving on to other racing series.
Yet they are still there posting over and over about it, beating a dead (prancing) horse, so to speak. There's even a thread called The End of F1, and people writing off the season.

No, F1 is not dead, the season just started. Changes will come sooner or later. For now, it is what it is.

What does sound level have to do with trying to figure out who is who on track??
because without the wacky excitement of that sound some folks will be less inclined to pay attention to the race..the benefit might be to all the non racing concessions:wink:

I think people need to realise that sound is a form of loss energy! They should be thrilled the motors are getting quieter because it means the cars in theory should be faster. Despite the quieter engines I'm still watching F1 regardless. I thought this was a entertaining race.

Back