• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2014 F1 thread....

That's basically the same move that Nissan made with Infiniti...
I believe there's much greater divergence between Nissan & Infiniti, than there is between Honda & Acura.

The only direct platform-shared model in Infiniti's lineup is the QX56 & Armada, otherwise the G, M, EX, FX are all unique. This is with regards to North American offerings.

Meanwhile, only the RL is the unique model in Acura's lineup as the ILX, TLX, RDX, MDX have their direct Honda variant. Not dogging Honda at all whatsoever, but to add 50% to the MSRP and change the trim along with different styling isn't a solution to having an upmarket presence.

Spin it all they want about Acura separating sales/marketing from Honda, but until core models are truly unique (and special) offerings, Acura can not / will not be able to cross the chasm into Tier-1 and blah-bla-bha...

(I don't know all the current Q-everything lineup for Infiniti, so I just referenced their previous alpha-numeric designations)

Last edited:
I believe there's much greater divergence between Nissan & Infiniti, than there is between Honda & Acura.

The only direct platform-shared model in Infiniti's lineup is the QX56 & Armada, otherwise the G, M, EX, FX are all unique. This is with regards to North American offerings.

Meanwhile, only the RL is the unique model in Acura's lineup as the ILX, TLX, RDX, MDX have their direct Honda variant. Not dogging Honda at all whatsoever, but to add 50% to the MSRP and change the trim along with different styling isn't a solution to having an upmarket presence.

Spin it all they want about Acura separating sales/marketing from Honda, but until core models are truly unique (and special) offerings, Acura can not / will not be able to cross the chasm into Tier-1 and blah-bla-bha...

(I don't know all the current Q-everything lineup for Infiniti, so I just referenced their previous alpha-numeric designations)

Acura needs to go back to their old names.
A small V8 and/or RWD wouldn't hurt either.

Acura needs to go back to their old names...
I agree! The alpha-numeric dealio is only applicable for model ranges within a lineup which differ in power-plant (ie. MB, BMW, Lexus, and now Infiniti). It really never worked for Acura. Though, at least there's some rationale/consistency now with the nomenclature (RLX, TLX, ILX, RDX, MDX, NSX)...

So someone over at FChat is bitching and complaining that GP2 is just as fast as F1 and that F1 is not the pinnacle of motorsports anymore.
His reasoning is that GP2 lap times during testing at Bahrain was within 6 seconds of the fastest F1 lap times.

We've only had one race so far, and GP2 didn't race in Melbourne with F1, so we can't make any comparisons yet.

Last year though, at the Malaysian GP, the fastest GP2 laps during practice/qualifying were also around 6 seconds off F1 lap times.

Fastest lap times at the race were actually slower for GP2 by 10 seconds.

If my math is correct, GP2 winner would be 5 minutes behind the F1 winner, at least in theory. That would mean, in theory more than 3 laps behind.

In theory. I believe GP2 runs less laps, and they also run 2 races per race weekend.

Don't know if you guys have seen this yet (I hadn't even heard of it previously) but it..is…awesome. Covers the beginnings of F1, the safety revolution, the men, women, and machines. Awesome stuff.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/k59zcs00k0A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 The Movie said:
"1" is an action documentary that brings the glamour, speed, danger and excitement of Formula One Grand Prix racing to the big screen. The film tells the story of the golden age of Formula 1®, when the sport became terrifyingly dangerous. In the late 1960s, Formula 1® cars doubled their engine size and sprouted wings, making them incredibly quick, but even more hazardous. With money pouring in from sponsorship and a new worldwide television audience, superstar drivers were born, thrown like gladiators into the ring. The drivers were legendary with charisma and raw talent, but many of them paid the ultimate price. Narrated by Michael Fassbender, "1" follows the story of the drivers who raced on the edge and those who stood up to change the sport forever. It is about the greatest show on earth--Formula 1®.

Last edited:
You can get this on iTunes and probably other paid sites. Great coverage of the sport and those whom made it possible. I they covered the Mercedes Silver Arrows. Great cars before the war. The clip of Ayrton Senna is Monaco is amazing.

Yes, i bought it a while back and just watched it for the second time last week. Great documentary.
It may be uncool to mention one's old age but i feel fortunate to have been at a few of those races; my first one Silverstone 1967 when i was at college in the UK.

Last edited:
Q: What's the worse position to be in if you're an F1 racing driver.
A: Being #2 at Red Bull

wtf is this...
10157326_600611080015983_250541372_n.jpg

Read a good article in Classic Motorsports about the period in which Weber choose to go to Porsche. Great read. And the amount of favoritism Vettel had w/i the team was HUGE. At one point, they would actually take parts off of Weber's car and put them on Vettel's. Seems Weber was only the team b/c of political backing by Mateschitz. Weber flew to Mateschitz to tell him he was retiring and Mateschitz didn't bother to tell Horner or anyone else so the first time they learned about it was after the British Grand Prix.

What a soap opera...

wtf is this...
10157326_600611080015983_250541372_n.jpg

Just a mechanic from DR side of the garage reacting, applying a fan to the left wheel/hub assembly to facilitate the attachment of the wheel nut.

Makes sense if you think about it since the centerlock hub was probably hot from been so close to the front brakes, then you have the pit crew trying to attach a wheel nut that is tethered to the front wheel assembly that is not at the same temperature as the hub assembly.

Heat tends to cause expansion of metals so cooling of the hub should make the attachment of the wheel nut easier in theory.

The only mistake that the mechanic did was going to the pits without the protective gear that is required by the FIA.

I watched the race live on TV and watched it again last night, the mechanic got nowhere close to the front wing that eventually failed.

Makes sense if you think about it since the centerlock hub was probably hot from been so close to the front brakes, then you have the pit crew trying to attach a wheel nut that is tethered to the front wheel assembly that is not at the same temperature as the hub assembly.

I thought it was the wheel hub assembly that was tethered to the body. How is it that we have seen nuts fly out in past races when they have not been secured properly?

Last edited:
Best race of the season so far, and that is saying A LOT, since Bahrain is usually a boring race!

Great scrap between the Merc boys, and fantastic race by Checo, glad to see him do great after unfairly getting fired from McLaren.

Speaking of McLaren, who I'm no longer rooting for, but I still root for Jenson Button, sad he had problems.

Massa, wow, what a launch!

The Preacher is back to his shenanigans again, glad Esteban is okay.
Is that Maverick and Goose inverted with a MIG?!?!

esteban-gutierrez_acidente4_afp_95.jpg

Attachments

• 000_Nic6315067-2048x1262.jpg
    000_Nic6315067-2048x1262.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Wow! That was an amazing race. Safety car created one of the best Kodak moments I've ever seen where it was Benz Benz, Force India Force India, RB RB, Williams Williams...

Also enjoyed the Ham/Ros fight. Great racing. Clean racing. I'm glad team orders didn't get in the way this time.

With racing like this...I could care less about the sound.

Back