• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Very cool upgrade I just did to my NSX

Sounds good--I just bought mine and the blades needed to be powder-coated or repainted anyway--keep us posted as to how this works out--I live in Phx--never rains much anyway but I don't like the wiper arms...jrehner

I do what Ken does....I run with no wipers at all with rain-x. I can see better w/o wipers and rain-x than with wipers in a down pour anyway. The car looks a million times better w/o them. I also do keep the drivers arm in the trunk as a back-up. I seldom run my car in the rain anyway. For those of you that don't want to risk no wipers, this retro fix looks well worth the $75.

I paid particular attention to my wipers today when driving as to what the mod might do for me, particularly from the inside looking out. Didn't take me long to know I want this mod! One of the great attributes of the NSX is the view you get because of the mid-engine arrangement, the feeling of the pavement flowing right under your feet. As I see (estimated) what the mod will do, it only enhances this attribute.

So, now we need a donor set of wipers, cause I'm not driving to Florida for the mod.:D

NSXG35: Nice job. Me want!

Dutchy, so you think that it would not work on the Euro cars? That would be terrible... I cannot look at my car anymore after I saw this!

Ok, I am exagerating, but I'd really like to install this!

Well Gheba, i don't know what's involved in the mod, but just for information i thought i shared.... ;)

(realy cool mod)

gheba_nsx said:
Dutchy, so you think that it would not work on the Euro cars? That would be terrible... I cannot look at my car anymore after I saw this!

Mich : That's a bad news ! :(

Gheba : I know how you feel ! I can't look at YOUR car anymore too since I saw this mod ! :p :D :D :D <jk>

That does look nice - I'm in Tampa so this appears to be a must have. One question - how difficult is it to change back to stock?
Just wondering in case it doesn't last for the long haul.

sounds like it requires modification of the original arm

T Bolen said:
That does look nice - I'm in Tampa so this appears to be a must have. One question - how difficult is it to change back to stock?
Just wondering in case it doesn't last for the long haul.

Based on what NSXG35 posted earlier, it sounds like modification of the existing arm is necessary:

"One other thing to consider is that part of the process requires heating and bending the arm of the wiper so after this is done if you want your arm to look perfect you will have to lightly sand and repaint the arm or have it powder coated. It think the approx cost for powder coating is $25. "

I am working on a detailed PDF that will give a step by step on how to make this modification. Things are really hectic right now but I should be able to get it done in a day or two

wiper mod

NOT to spoil the party, and this IS a really cool mod, but...

What would be REALLY cool would be to find a way and modify the passenger-side wiper mechanism in such a way that it would cover the entire windshield in each pass, from passenger to driver. The passenger side blade sits effectively in the middle of the car and SHOULD cover enough to make this work. You could just remove the driver's side wiper blade.

I haven't looked at the mechanism yet, but imagine it would take a custom-made arm attached to the levers to replace the stock one.

Just my $.02! If I find a way, I'll post!

Don in Germany:)

Single wiper

YEP!!! I'm going to try it, as soon as I get under that panel.

I think it would be awesome, very much like the old LeMans cars...

Don

T Bolen said:
One question - how difficult is it to change back to stock? Just wondering in case it doesn't last for the long haul.

Well, since it only deals with the modification of a single wiper, worst case you could change it to stock by buying a new wiper arm ($165 list, less discount) and wiper blade assembly ($80 list, less discount), apparently just for the driver's side. And I'm not sure whether you would need to replace both of those parts, or just one.

(To see the difference between the wiper blade assembly and the wiper arm, click here; they are shown under the Wiper System heading as items 1 and 3, respectively.)

Re: wiper mod

DonDavis said:
NOT to spoil the party, and this IS a really cool mod, but...

What would be REALLY cool would be to find a way and modify the passenger-side wiper mechanism in such a way that it would cover the entire windshield in each pass, from passenger to driver. The passenger side blade sits effectively in the middle of the car and SHOULD cover enough to make this work. You could just remove the driver's side wiper blade.

I haven't looked at the mechanism yet, but imagine it would take a custom-made arm attached to the levers to replace the stock one.

That would be cool. I'm sure there's a way to adjust the travel of the motor...

That hurts me to even watch that video of the NSX out in the RAIN. Very cool mod nevertheless.

Re: wiper mod

DonDavis said:
What would be REALLY cool would be to find a way and modify the passenger-side wiper mechanism in such a way that it would cover the entire windshield in each pass, from passenger to driver. The passenger side blade sits effectively in the middle of the car and SHOULD cover enough to make this work.

You mean just like the Mercedes-Benz wipers? THAT would be really cool!

PDF

NSXG35 said:
I am working on a detailed PDF that will give a step by step on how to make this modification. Things are really hectic right now but I should be able to get it done in a day or two

Did anything ever come of this? Has anyone else attempted this mod?

I never saw anything else on it, but I'm hoping to do the other mod that uses only the passenger wiper to do a single sweep, ala Mercedes. I know what has to be done, just haven't yanked the mechanism out yet and I'm wishing I had a machine shop! Don't want to do it if I can't make it reversible...

humm

i removed my wipers as i noted that in the rain i do not even need them much less rain x. i think the previous owner of my car installed some type of anti-rain stuff that last forever. when i first got the nsx i though it was rain x. then i washed the car everyweekend for 3 years and never used rain x. still no wipers or rain x needed. even in the worst of conditions. finally i removed them. anyone ever remove the motor? how much does it weigh? i gotta look into getting that weight gone!

Last edited:
Ultimate Rain-x

Hi Guys,

A number of you have mentioned rain-x which works fine but needs regular recoats.

I have been using a product on my cars for the last few years that is significantly better, it lasts between 6 -18 months depending on rain content and wiper activity and apparently really bonds with the glass for a more permanent coating.

The product I was recommended that has worked really well for me is Ombrello

http://www.weathertec.co.uk/mall/Weathertec/products/product-138605.stm

I have also been playing with the following Piaa silicon wiper blades.

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/PIAA Wipers.html

hope it helps.

Max

Silver Bullet NSX

Back