• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why It Is Being Built in Ohio

Why is the NSX Being Built in Ohio?
03-acura-nsx-concept-detroit-opt.jpg

3 years (on top of the 3-plus we've already waited) is a long time to wait for the 2nd coming of the Acura NSX. Measured in Internet time, it's an infinite opportunity for speculation about the whys and hows of the new car. Aside from the new supercar's hybrid powertrain, the most shocking part of the announcement is that the car will be built in Ohio. Honda has an engine plant, a transmission plant, 2 assembly plants and a research and development center in the state, so this shouldn't be treated with the same level of surprise as if, say, Ferrari announced it would start building cars in Kansas.

Yet it's still a big change for the exotic Acura, which was manufactured in Japan during its entire 1st-generation lifecycle, from 1990-2005. When the NSX debuted, part of its appeal was that it represented the pinnacle of Japanese technology and quality, at a time when Japanese automakers were absolutely crushing the competition in both. Times have changed, but we still suspect that a number of fanboys might be disappointed that the 2nd-generation NSX will be built by gaijin.

We spoke with American Honda CEO and president Tetsuo Iwamura about the decision to develop and manufacture the NSX here in the U.S., and he told us that the decision was made for three reasons. The 1st is that Honda is committed to building cars in the market in which they are sold. The U.S. is the largest market for the NSX, although he said the car will be exported to Japan and other markets.

When asked if there was any concern that Japanese customers might have objections to a Japanese supercar built in the U.S., Iwamura said, "You don't have to be so modest. American-built cars have a power, even in Japan."

The 2nd factor was that Honda has had positive experiences with product development of other models here in the States. Iwamura specifically mentioned the North American market-only Pilot and Odyssey as examples. The 3日d reason for the decision to build the NSX here is that Honda believes its Ohio manufacturing facilities produce high-quality products and wants to take advantage of that expertise. Iwamura also said that assigning the halo car to the U.S. would be motivational for its American employees.

Currency fluctuation, however, was not a consideration, according to the Honda chief. While he said that would indeed be the case with a mass-market model, the limited-production nature of the NSX makes the effect of a strong yen a moot point. Regardless of where its built, Iwamura said the main consideration in bringing the NSX back to market is its technology, quality and performance, just as the original did. The NSX is an important part of modern automotive history, a literal poster-child of the '90s, so we're certainly rooting for this new exotic Buckeyemobile to deliver on all fronts.

The real reason:

250px-Columbus,_OH_Capital_Building.JPG

OH Capital Building - Columbus, OH
+

johnboehner-gavel.jpg

Ohio (R)

=

tax-cuts.jpg

This is the great American worker he's talking about???

uaw.jpg

Last edited:
How about this one... The US dollar has become worthless, and the down trend continues. In three years, the Japanese will probably be able to buy a NSX 2.0 for the price of a BMW 3 series. Yeah yeah, it's an exaggeration, but not without merit.

I will buy anything that is that is made in the US, that is not made with union labor!

must be the radiation

I will buy anything that is that is made in the US, that is not made with union labor!

Unions are blue-collar workers that feel entitled to white-collar benefits.

Unions are blue-collar workers that feel entitled to white-collar benefits.

OK - As an airline pilot, 90% are union. Either ALPA, or in house union like SWA, AA or USAPA. ALPA (Air Line Pilots Assoc) safety department and accident investigation has done a tremendous service to the public and really is the sole reason why airliners aren't falling out of the sky left and right.

Ask any airline pilot about his wonderful "white-collar benefits" and watch him laugh. Pension? Gone. Healthcare? No better or worse than any other job? Travel benefits? Try getting on an airplane now a days STANDBY.

Pay? Ah- I took the early out (6 months severance) this July on my birthday because I was going to be downgraded again to a First Officer - 12 year FO pay? $45k year and gone away from home 19 days a month. No thanks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Union "fan boy". My Union has screwed me plenty - including a last FU by taking Union dues out of my severance check, which they weren't suppose to do. They admitted it, but then said they weren't going to refund it back. It was less than $150 and not worth the aggravation and fight. However, the Union backed me up during several safety issues where I refused a Chief Pilot's order to fly an airplane. If it wasn't for the Union - I would have been fired on the spot. Such as? Such as a CP ordering me to fly a plane to ORF during Hurricane Isadore because the forecast at the ETA (during the eye) made it legal. WTF? And he ordered me to depart with a straight face. I refused.

Union power and benefits even in the UAW are not what they once where...

Last edited:
I don't care how, where, why , who design and build the car, as long as the performance is there, its all good.

OK - As an airline pilot, 90% are union. Either ALPA, or in house union like SWA, AA or USAPA. ALPA (Air Line Pilots Assoc) safety department and accident investigation has done a tremendous service to the public and really is the sole reason why airliners aren't falling out of the sky left and right.

Ask any airline pilot about his wonderful "white-collar benefits" and watch him laugh. Pension? Gone. Healthcare? No better or worse than any other job? Travel benefits? Try getting on an airplane now a days STANDBY.

Pay? Ah- I took the early out (6 months severance) this July on my birthday because I was going to be downgraded again to a First Officer - 12 year FO pay? $45k year and gone away from home 19 days a month. No thanks.

Union power and benefits even in the UAW are not what they once where...

Sorry, I thought we were talking about assembly line workers and city government employees.

I know some pilots, and they do get the short end of the stick...no offense intended.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about assembly line workers and city government employees.

I know some pilots, and they do get the short end of the stick...no offense intended.

I think we might be surprised what a new-hire UAW makes and gets for benefits. Every Union "eats their young" and I'm sure the UAW did the same with their last contracts.

$15.78 x 40 x 4 x 12 = $30,297.60 year

UAW - Chrysler Sept 2011
http://www.uaw.org/content/gains-new-hires

Chrysler%20New%20Hire%20Gains.JPG

Last edited:

What's wrong with assembly line workers and city gov employees?

KO

What's wrong with assembly line workers and city gov employees?

KO
There is nothing wrong with them as long as they don't need a taxpayers' bail out while making six figure income doing jr. high educated jobs.

They voted for Obama. :biggrin:

I've been a worker in both sectors and that was my reason for voting for him.:biggrin:
You might as well go to Ohio and and work in the plant, you'll be getting the same wages you did when you were a pilot, get treated the same and as an added BONUS, you can give us spy shots of the next nsx. :biggrin:

I've been a worker in both sectors and that was my reason for voting for him.:biggrin:
You might as well go to Ohio and and work in the plant, you'll be getting the same wages you did when you were a pilot, get treated the same and as an added BONUS, you can give us spy shots of the next nsx. :biggrin:

Do they drug test? :biggrin:

need a taxpayers' bail out while making six figure income doing jr. high educated jobs.

THIS is what's wrong with them.

I am not looking down my nose at anyone, but yeah, I peeves me when someone who dropped out of school does a job that really does not require too much skill, yet feels they deserve a high five to low six figure salary.

Contribution determines entitlement. The two should be directly proportionate to one another....that's also why I don't "get" the Kardashians, "Snookie", or Paris Hilton.

THIS is what's wrong with them.

I am not looking down my nose at anyone, but yeah, I peeves me when someone who dropped out of school does a job that really does not require too much skill, yet feels they deserve a high five to low six figure salary.

Contribution determines entitlement. The two should be directly proportionate to one another....that's also why I don't "get" the Kardashians, "Snookie", or Paris Hilton.

This remark is EQUALLY ignor.............well its not the most educated or experienced remark on the subject. :smile:

Do they drug test? :biggrin:

I know long shore man of port of Los Angeles and Long Beach get to see "counselors" for their "substance abuse" problems as part of their union benefits. This also goes with UAW workers. Try that on a regular private sector job.

Yes, these guys make six figures working 3 days a week. Ask me how I know.

Last edited:
Back