• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why It Is Being Built in Ohio

I know long shore man of port of Los Angeles and Long Beach get to see "counselors" for their "substance" problems as part of their union benefits.

Yes, these guys make six figures working 3 days a week. Ask me how I know.

Were you in rehab for your "substance" abuse problem with them? :biggrin:

... Pilot and Odyssey ...
[/COLOR][/FONT]
With all due respect to the Honda plant folks in Ohio, a Pilot and Odyssey make not a NSX.
Sorry. I still want the fantasy of my White Jacketed Japanese assembler, using JDM sourced bits into a Yen priced Halo Car. Imagine, if you would for just a second the hullabaloo if GM decided to build the C7 Corvette anywhere other than in Kentucky.
One of the reasons the NSX 1.0 was not sustainable was that it was a JDM and North American (and very limited Western Europe) market product. There was no effort to promote it anywhere else.
For me, in about 3 years, the sublime Ferrari 458 Italia (notwithstanding the fact that Kim Kardashian has a white one) will have depreciated sufficiently to pose a real, pre-owned alternative to the NSX 2.0.

Maybe they can set up a program like the ZR1 plant in Kentucky.

With the 2011 model, GM offers the optional "Corvette Engine Build Experience," where the customer visits the General Motors’ Performance Build Center to help assemble the LS9 for the ZR1 purchased. Factory technicians supervise the process and the normal warranty covers the engine built by the customer's hands.

I know long shore man of port of Los Angeles and Long Beach get to see "counselors" for their "substance abuse" problems as part of their union benefits. This also goes with UAW workers. Try that on a regular private sector job.

Yes, these guys make six figures working 3 days a week. Ask me how I know.

I have a private sector job and we get employee assistance for sustance abuse, stress and whatnot. When i was employed by chrysler they had a chaplain on the premises a few days a week. Being in a plant for 7 days a week standing on your feet for 10-12 hours tends to wear normal people out. When my father passed ( a non chrysler employee) the UAW sent him to the funeral, he read a few passages, gave my mom a bible and said he would be there if needed. I had NEVER met the guy.

ASK ME HOW I KNOW:biggrin:

This remark is EQUALLY ignor.............well its not the most educated or experienced remark on the subject. :smile:

I never claimed to be an expert on the subject...these are just my humble opinions & personal feelings.

I, like many others on here have worked hard for what we have, would it not tick you off too when you read about others whining for what you may feel they don't deserve?

Look, when I was 17, I worked at a factory over the summer (loading trucks) that made hand tool socket sets. There were workers there that had ZERO skills so all they were qualified to do, for eight hours a day, was stand on a line as each socket set tray came down the line, and place the selected socket sizes they were assigned to, into the socket tray. THAT was their whole job! Come on...you could almost train a monkey to do that!

Now if those workers demanded to be paid (with the same benefits) anywhere similar to the same level of pay as say, the plant manager (who is responsible for the deadlines and production flow, among other things), would you not feel the absurdness of the situation???

If one only does mindless work, they really cannot expect more than minimum wage.

Most of the time it's not about the money, it's about job protection, working conditions, and just down right fairness.

Those workers don't think they should make the same as the plant manager. They just want to do their job, make enough to have a crappy $70k house, crappy old Ford pickup and buy smokes and booze. But they want to make sure that some CEO who has been on the job for less than a year won't walk in, shut down the plant and move the jobs overseas to increase the bottom line by 1% if he needs to in order to take home a multi-million dollar bonus. They want to make sure that after 30 years of standing on a line that the company won't fire them for some BS excuse when the real reason is they can find a 18 year old to replace them for 1st year pay and know that you don't have the money it takes to fight a lengthy age discrimination case. All they really want is to go to work, keep their head down, work their 8 hrs and go home with a pay check. No more, no less. Corp greed has taken it to the extreme where it's work a lot more and get paid a lot less. They use every trick, every loop hole and every law they can to squeeze workers for every nickel so they can make their bonus.

I can tell you from experience in my industry that CEOs have walked into airlines, cut employees pay across the board by 30%, closed call centers and moved them to India and ran the companies right into BK. Then walked away with millions in severance packages, lifetime first class POSITIVE SPACE (must fly - no standby) and full vested pensions after 2 years. Leo Mullin and gang even sold Delta's fuel hedges for a $180M loss to fund the Sr Execs insurance to cover their pensions before entering BK in 2005. And when Leo got the boot? Took $17 million with him. All for BK an airline in less than 4 years. What's he doing now? When you see the Delta planes that have N#s that end in MH - that's Mullin Holdings. He bought 767-300ERs and is leasing them back to Delta at substantially above market rate. How do these guys get away with it? It's legal. As long as the Board gives them this stuff, it's Kosher.

Oh, BTW Delta had to bring their call centers back from India to the US because they were losing so many Biz passengers that someone finally realized that it was costing them $200 to save $0.05.

Last edited:
I have to say best money spent by the execs at the Big three was to make a chart showing how much union labor was costing them per car. Never mind that they didn't disclose how much of the car went to their "golden parachute" and personal salary. I'm mean sure Japanese CEO's only made a tenth of what the Big three CEO's did. How can you trust Japanese CEO's as they have lunch with the rest of the employees. Who can listen to someone who doesn't have their own private dining room??

I mean let's not forget that the Union are the one's who green light stuff like the Pontiac Aztec , Cadillac Cimmaron and the like. It's the union dammit it's the union.

Yes God bless the American Ceo for his stalwart guidance and leadership:rolleyes:

This job is not quite as bad as one my friend had in college in Wilkes Barre, PA. His job from 6pm to 2am was to fit handles on 5 gallon buckets.

I never claimed to be an expert on the subject...these are just my humble opinions & personal feelings.

I, like many others on here have worked hard for what we have, would it not tick you off too when you read about others whining for what you may feel they don't deserve?

Look, when I was 17, I worked at a factory over the summer (loading trucks) that made hand tool socket sets. There were workers there that had ZERO skills so all they were qualified to do, for eight hours a day, was stand on a line as each socket set tray came down the line, and place the selected socket sizes they were assigned to, into the socket tray. THAT was their whole job! Come on...you could almost train a monkey to do that!

Now if those workers demanded to be paid (with the same benefits) anywhere similar to the same level of pay as say, the plant manager (who is responsible for the deadlines and production flow, among other things), would you not feel the absurdness of the situation???

If one only does mindless work, they really cannot expect more than minimum wage.

This job is not quite as bad as one my friend had in college in Wilkes Barre, PA. His job from 6pm to 2am was to fit handles on 5 gallon buckets.

I feel for him...at that same socket set company, I one day (because they were short of people) had to sit and stuff the little rubber doo-hickey into spark plug sockets...for eight hours! It drove me NUTS being soooo bored doing mindless work! ...but I did it because of my work ethic. Of course, I promised myself I would aspire to a better career.

Most of the time it's not about the money, it's about job protection, working conditions, and just down right fairness.

Those workers don't think they should make the same as the plant manager. They just want to do their job, make enough to have a crappy $70k house, crappy old Ford pickup and buy smokes and booze. But they want to make sure that some CEO who has been on the job for less than a year won't walk in, shut down the plant and move the jobs overseas to increase the bottom line by 1% if he needs to in order to take home a multi-million dollar bonus. They want to make sure that after 30 years of standing on a line that the company won't fire them for some BS excuse when the real reason is they can find a 18 year old to replace them for 1st year pay and know that you don't have the money it takes to fight a lengthy age discrimination case. All they really want is to go to work, keep their head down, work their 8 hrs and go home with a pay check. No more, no less. Corp greed has taken it to the extreme where it's work a lot more and get paid a lot less. They use every trick, every loop hole and every law they can to squeeze workers for every nickel so they can make their bonus.

I can tell you from experience in my industry that CEOs have walked into airlines, cut employees pay across the board by 30%, closed call centers and moved them to India and ran the companies right into BK. Then walked away with millions in severance packages, lifetime first class POSITIVE SPACE (must fly - no standby) and full vested pensions after 2 years. Leo Mullin and gang even sold Delta's fuel hedges for a $180M loss to fund the Sr Execs insurance to cover their pensions before entering BK in 2005. And when Leo got the boot? Took $17 million with him. All for BK an airline in less than 4 years. What's he doing now? When you see the Delta planes that have N#s that end in MH - that's Mullin Holdings. He bought 767-300ERs and is leasing them back to Delta at substantially above market rate. How do these guys get away with it? It's legal. As long as the Board gives them this stuff, it's Kosher.

Oh, BTW Delta had to bring their call centers back from India to the US because they were losing so many Biz passengers that someone finally realized that it was costing them $200 to save $0.05.

Well stated, and I do agree...that's just the other end of the extreme in the work world. Hell, I dumped my AT&T services when I kept reading that they keep paying their CEO, Randall Stephenson, $29-$27 million per year...I did not feel like contributing to his FAT paycheck. Plus, I personally know connections to him and happen to understand that he is a real-life A-1 jerk.

CEO's should not get away with piracy & uneducated workers should not get huge paychecks.

I look at these things with the mind-set of as if I were the owner of the company...what's best for OUR bottom line, as a whole company. If I make the company more profitable, I will share in the rewards. Of course this seldom works in big corporate America anymore. That's why I so love where I'm at now.

We have no Human Resources department (those are totally counter-productive to company profits. They no better guarantee hiring the BEST person for the job than good old talking to applicants and then going with your gut feelings). There's no BS office politics...everything is straight-forward, old-school style in a very good way. If the owner & I have to discuss something, we sit down, man-to-man, and solve the issue in a matter of minutes. Done. Saves money on committee meetings frivolous expenses. I know what is expected of me, and I actually WANT to always do the very best job I can...and I always feel ultra appreciated for my efforts.

Last post on labor topics, i dont want to derail the thread. I worked in a UAW organized American car manufacturing plant for 8 years. Assembly workers DO NOT make 6 figures. UAW workers do not assemble socket trays. UAW workers are not mindless.

Last edited:
Last post on labor topics, i dont want to derail the thread. I worked in a UAW organized American car manufacturing plant for 8 years. Assembly workers DO NOT make 6 figures. UAW workers do not assemble socket trays. UAW workers are not mindless.

Agreed. Back on topic.

We can go PM with this. :)

I would rather the new nsx to be built in japan, only to continue it's origins and heritage, but i have no doubt that americans and build and engineer a supercar.

It was done already. Some people dont feel the NSX is a supercar, let alone a CHRYSLER ME-412. It got shelved, but it was further along that the HSC or the NSX 2.0.:smile:
http://www.allpar.com/cars/me412.html

I would rather the new nsx to be built in japan, only to continue it's origins and heritage, but i have no doubt that americans and build and engineer a supercar.

It was done already. Some people dont feel the NSX is a supercar, let alone a CHRYSLER ME-412. It got shelved, but it was further along that the HSC or the NSX 2.0.:smile:
http://www.supercars.net/cars/2731.html

Whats wrong with Ohio? :confused:

If we can design and build the worlds most high performance aircraft then we can certainly build an automobile...its not like they fly or anything.

I think there might be too many JDM junkies are on here :biggrin:

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2731.html

am I the only one that thinks that strongly resembles the Gumpert apollo??

http://www.supercars.net/cars/3313.html

I have a private sector job and we get employee assistance for sustance abuse, stress and whatnot. When i was employed by chrysler they had a chaplain on the premises a few days a week. Being in a plant for 7 days a week standing on your feet for 10-12 hours tends to wear normal people out. When my father passed ( a non chrysler employee) the UAW sent him to the funeral, he read a few passages, gave my mom a bible and said he would be there if needed. I had NEVER met the guy.

ASK ME HOW I KNOW:biggrin:

When I say substance abuse, I wasn't talking about alcohol. I'm talking about weeds, coke, acid, crack, etc. And under the union protection, these idiots continues to have jobs loading containers. The unions also protect these people over workers with less seniority that are more productive and actually care about their jobs.

Ko, I can careless about your passion for these people not because of what they do, but what their union represents. I used to stand on my feed 10 hours a day sorting mail during swing shifts, IT'S A JOB they accepted for being a blue color worker. If they belong to a union behaves like thugs and forcing the hands of our politicians forking out billions of tax dollars so they can maintain their jobs, I cannot respect that. If today they produce great products and is paid handsomely without taxpayers assistance, I will buy their products without any habitations.

Union only breeds mediocrity and in most cases, create problems for society.

Last edited:
Ha! when by the time we reach 25 threads in the same week, of the same subject, and you are completely lost because the 2 or 3 main threats (that were very consistent and intelligent) are lost ... then you might agree with me, this is madness!

Oscar

Oscar has a point. Thats why we always say use the Search button. A lot of the info/questions can be confined down to 1 or 2 threads.

Anyway I personally don't care where they build the car, Would ad to the exoticness(if thats a word) if it was built in Japan. We should be happy we are getting another NSX(maybe...not holding my breathe for long.)

Back