• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

'05 trans grind 1st to 2nd

When my 05 first goes out I get a grind (for lack of a better term) when shifting from 1st to 2nd and, to a lesser degree, from 2nd to third UNTIL the car warms up. After about 20 minutes or so of driving it doesn't do it. It also doesn't do it if I double clutch those shifts nor does it do it down shifting.
Anybody have any thoughts on this? Car only has just under 11,000 miles on it and I baby it. Someone told me (who owns an older model) that they heard the 04-05's have this reputation for being "notchy" he called it.

I did not check that resevoir but I will now, thanks/ Just normal mats on floor.
Anybody else have this issue with any year?

Have you changed out the transmission fluid and tried the new white cap Honda MTF? That would be my next step.

If that still doesn't help, I would try the GM Synchromesh cocktail instead of the Honda MTF.

Yes, I took it to the local Acura dealer and they changed the fluid with some special "gold" stuff but it did not fix the issue. It was still under warranty at that time and now that it is just out (by time, not miles) they say the rep won't let them fix it unless I let them tear it down first to see what's wrong--THEN they might pay for the repair BUT I might be stuck with a huge bill also!
What's special about the GM stuff?

GM synchromesh friction modified is apparently the King of transmission fluids. It's said to make a notchy tranny turn into butter smooth one. Tons of reviews on how good it is. For the price, I'd do it first before going back to Acura.

Mine does the same until it warms up....10 mins. BTW my '01 also did this.

Not a concern for me.

I wish the Good Doc would post up some photos of his red/red in his FS add. I've never seen that combo, especially in an '02-newer. I love the matching interiors.

Dr. it may be the way you're shifting the car, not sure. However, I have a 91 and if I don't shift it fairly quick into gear in the morning when first driving off - it will crunch a little too.

Here's what I mean and it may have no relevance to the later model trannies - just offering up this from my perspective.

I have had Porsches before this and I employed the basic 2 part shift. Waiting a bit in neutral and touching the gate with a little pressure before pulling it into gear - works great on all Porsche trannies - whether 915 tranny in my SC or G50 in my 87 or later G50 drerivitive in my 993. Even worked well in my Honda Civic SI but not in the NSX. If I try that pausing when I catch the gate pause a little drop it in - it crunches a little. If I pull against the gate and just slide it in it doesn't crunch - wierd. You'd think that the slower you make that move the better it would be but these trannies seem to be ready to go into gear and do not need the syncros babied like that. There apparently isn't that push on the gate that sets the syncro or the NSX just sets up quicker. I think it's the later.

There may be some technical term for this - I would ask Larry Bastanza or Barn man about it before I got all fired up to sell a super great car! I also think you'd have a hard time getting 65k for it anyway right now - these days. I know a guy that has a silver 05 and he feels like he'd be doing good to get 60k and he has 15k miles and it is absolutely perfect - I mean he wears gloves inside so as to not let the oils of his hands get on the leather. He polishes his car to perfection - there are no little hair line tiny scratches in the paint even. The guy is a fanatic - and you are also in one of those rare color combos that you either love or hate. Don't be so quick to find out you can't sell it for 60k even. These are rare and great cars - it may be you just have to test out different ways of shifting. I did and it worked. Maybe all you need to do. Just a thought hope it helps. Check with Larry B. Good luck.

Back