• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1/2 empty trunk tool kit - please help

What tools am I missing? Can I buy new? I will also post a list in the Parts Wanted section as soon as I know what tools I need!

DSC03699.jpg

Thanks.

The chess king, the laser pointer, the top, the pen and the mag-light.:biggrin:
Sorry for the flippant remark – if nobody else posts, I’ll go look at my kit. I swear, it’s like a puzzle, though. I can’t think of anything else you need.
After looking at the pic, I need to shine my tools.

Edit: found this picture.

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=24204

Last edited:
I thought the same thing when I got my 2004. Don't worry, that's the way they came, with tools missing. Save weight is what I heard, save a few bucks is more plausable.

Tytus

According to Acura's parts diagrams, there is a difference between the styrofoam trunk floor mold and tools for the '91, and the ones for the '05. (I'm not sure what year it changed.) Click on the illustration below for the list of part numbers. It looks like all the tools (including the spanner/wrench that's included for '05 but not '91) are present in Jason's photo above, except maybe the "emergency tire cover". However, there are some tools that were not included from the factory, but which you can order; see this topic for details.

One other thing appears to be going on. In '91, they used a different trunk floor mold in EIM (European import model) NSXs, which came with additional tools (pliers, etc), than they did in the USIM models. I suspect that the trunk floor mold for '05 is the same for all markets, so there are open spaces when all the tools are present in the USIM cars, spaces that are used for the additional tools that are still supplied in other markets...? You can read about the Euro tool kit in this topic.

1991 NSX trunk floor mold and tools:

2005 NSX trunk floor mold and tools:

Last edited:
According to Acura's parts diagrams, there is a difference between the styrofoam trunk floor mold and tools for the '91, and the ones for the '05. (I'm not sure what year it changed.) Click on the illustration below for the list of part numbers. It looks like all the tools (including the spanner/wrench that's included for '05 but not '91) are present in Jason's photo above, except maybe the "emergency tire cover". However, there are some tools that were not included from the factory, but which you can order; see this topic for details.

One other thing appears to be going on. In '91, they used a different trunk floor mold in EIM (European import model) NSXs, which came with additional tools (pliers, etc), than they did in the USIM models. I suspect that the trunk floor mold for '05 is the same for all markets, so there are open spaces when all the tools are present in the USIM cars, spaces that are used for the additional tools that are still supplied in other markets...? You can read about the Euro tool kit in this topic.

1991 NSX trunk floor mold and tools:

2005 NSX trunk floor mold and tools:

In some Euro models they also have a tow eye that goes in the back bumper.

In those spaces there is also combination long type sockets and a bar and can be used for engine maintenace such a sremoving spark plugs, etc.

Cheers,

AR

So looks like I am still missing part #5 for the 2005 tray. Ken, any idea what this is?
It's a tire pressure gauge, same part number for all NSX years. (Maybe you missed the part of my post about clicking on the illustration to see part numbers... :tongue: ) Of course, you can use whatever tire pressure gauge you like...

(Maybe you missed the part of my post about clicking on the illustration to see part numbers... :tongue: )

Clearly! Of course, I'm 3 glasses of wine into the evening.....

Thanks Ken!

$35 for a tire gauge! Ouch!

am I the only one that sees your tire gauge in the picture you posted.(all the way to the right) :confused:

I see it now!!! Just doesn't look like a tire gauge to me. I will have to go play with it this morning.

Thanks!

Some of the owners of later model US Spec NSXs (2004-2005) may notice that your tool tray has many empty slots for tools that were included on Japan and Europe market cars, but not US market cars. After confirming the part numbers with the Japanese NSX Parts books, it turns out that many of those slots are easier to fill than you think w/o having to goto Japan or Europe. :)

The following tools can be ordered at your local Honda dealer quite inexpensively. Strangely enough, Acura can't get them:

89217-355-000 [WRENCH, BOX (10MM)]
99003-10000 [SCREWDRIVER 1 (NO.2)]
89218-611-003 [SHAFT, WRENCH]
99002-15000 [PLIERS (150MM)]

That leaves just 2 more pieces that are a bit more difficult to get:

89216-SL0-000 [WRENCH, BOX (16MM)]
This is only available in Japan or Europe

74717-SL0-000 [TOW HOOK]
This is only available in Europe. US and Japan spec cars can't use it anyway, because they lack the cutout in the rear bumper to use it.

If you have an earlier year US Spec NSX, you will notice that your tool tray doesn't have all the cutouts that the later year cars have. If you still want the full toolkit, you can order the tray with all the tool cutouts from Acura:

89101-SL0-J01 [BOX, TOOL]

A pic of a completed tool kit: :)

4265CIMG4425.JPG

Full size image here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/830/4265CIMG4425.JPG

Last edited:
Can anyone suggest what some of these parts actually do? What would the pliers be for?

The three top right are the 10mm and ? size socket plus small shaft to turnthe socket around. Above the screw driver is another + shank for the + screw. I have all last time except for the tow hook. But my friend borrowed and never return.
Can anyone suggest what some of these parts actually do? What would the pliers be for?

goods...

I need a compressor and lug wrench, anybody have part numbers for those?
Reference: USDM OE NSX Trunk Tools/etc'...

ACURA NSX TIRE PUMP ASSY.
P/N: 38160-SL0-A01
List: $283.97
Discounted: ~$212

ACURA NSX WRENCH, WHEEL
P/N: 89211-SL0-003
List: 24.18
Discounted: ~$18

www.magauto.com (free s/h over $50)
www.hondacuraworld.com (great service, no shipping but a small handling-fee, ask for Tim Polniak)
www.acuraoemparts.com (great service, mention Hugh... :D)
www.acuraautomotiveparts.org (great service)
www.acuraofaugusta.com (great service, longtime forum member: acura of augusta)
www.partsformyacura.com (new guys on 'Prime, aka ALLNSXPARTS!)

or

David McDavid Acura off 183 near Anderson, will price-match (or beat) competitors prices for OEM parts/accessories. For walk-ins, they'll extend at least a ~15% discount to NSX owners. . .

or

I *may* have an extra... :cool:

Last edited:
Anyone have the 16mm box wrench (89216-SL0-000)? I have a JDM car and this is the last part I cannot seem to find to complete my tool kit. Thought I had success on e-bay from Japan “ISICAR”. But they just e-mailed me and said they no longer have the part and cannot get a new one since they are discontinued 😩

The 89216-SL0-000 is a tubular box wrench. My guess would be something off the shelf, easy to get a very close match. The original is single-sided, has a machined groove, and a stamped "P" on the hex.

If you have a thicker wallet: https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/293918409815 there is one included in a refresh kit.

And you might try Impex too

Personally, I would buy the refresh kit as I am a purist and *more* spare parts are always better.

I've wondered what one would actually do with this tool as I too have a fully populated JDM kit. I never considered changing the spark plugs on the NSX with a tube socket? Really‽

Very close matches for a 16mm spark plug wrench, here and here

Who knew that 5/8" is 16mm too? I suspect that one might be able to find it under 5/8" as well with a bit of clever searching.

Yeah, after finding all the tools for the tool kit piece by piece with OEM parts from Japan I cannot imagine ever using any of these tools to work on the car unless I was broke down in the Mojave desert. It would just be nice to get all the original parts for the tool kit just for the compete original factor. Thanks for the suggestions I will keep looking for the original OEM part but the similar Honda parts you suggested will work for now.

Could buy the refresh kit & sell the coils/other parts off? Wouldn't cost too much net? I for one didn't know those bolts needed to be replaced with the plugs & coils, but the seals make sense, especially without coilguards.

Last edited:
Back