• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

$12-15/gallon gas

For all the complaints people aren't really slowing down either. Over this past weekend just to test I started driving between 55-63mph with CC on the freeway in the slow lane. Big SUVs were constantly zooming by me.

Also while getting gas at my usual place first thing I noticed was that gas had jumped 18 cents from the afternoon before. When I asked the guy who worked there if a fresh tanker came in he replied "no the corporate wire came through to set gas at this new price" So the "same" gas that I paid 3.98 for the day before was marked up. I know that's just big business but that's just plain crooked!

If I got opportunity to move out there (USA) & buy as cheap gas as you could, I believe that would be heaven :biggrin:

If it were suddenly legal to smoke crack there is always going to be someone who thinks it is a good thing.

Give me a f'n break! You can't blame the oil companies? Exxon annonced record earnings AGAIN for last quarter...profiting over $11.6 billion dollars. "Upholding their duty to shareholders" is half of the problem with this country.

So you're telling me if you make an investment in a public company, you expect them to make poor business decisions? :rolleyes:

For all the complaints people aren't really slowing down either. Over this past weekend just to test I started driving between 55-63mph with CC on the freeway in the slow lane. Big SUVs were constantly zooming by me.

I was thinking the same thing this weekend - took a short family outing in the wife's 2005 RL and was trying to see how high I could get the average MPG on the trip computer (averaged 26.4 in mostly highway driving). Saw lots and lots of SUV's - many with only one or two people.

And it isn't only the SUV's - seems that every other Benz that I saw was an AMG model blasting along at 90 mph on the highways and sprinting away from every stoplight. Was at a shopping center on Saturday - saw a women get into her car and drive across the parking lot so she wouldn't have to walk from one store to the next store. She circled the parking lot for 3-4 minutes looking for a spot - she drove a mile to save 300 feet of walking.

I wondered to myself "... maybe the cost of gas isn't high enough to change behavior yet..." Seems to me that simply easing up on the throttle, combining a few trips every month, etc. - each of us can immediately cut our energy consumption by 10% and not even feel it.

^^^ Couldn't agree more. I accelerate slowly, coast down some steeper inclines on the highway (still doing above or at the limit), try and make my trips out for errands to make a big circle so I don't waste time backtracking...

And I just got 35mpg on my last tank... :)

Where do I sign up for an FCX?

Sorry, only available as a lease vehicle at the moment. Three year lease to be specific unless they changed it, was over a year ago when I inquired about it. And only in specified locals. :frown:

This is interesting

VIENNA, Austria (AP) -- Oil prices fell below $127 a barrel Wednesday, extending a decline of more than $3 in the previous session on a growing sense that record-high costs have cut demand for gasoline and other fuel.

The summer driving season in the U.S. began with the just-ended Memorial Day weekend, and some analysts are predicting that data will show a lackluster start.

U.S. Energy Department data covering the weekend won't be released until next week. But even ahead of those figures, other statistics indicated Americans are driving less because of bloated prices at the pump.

The Schork Report, edited by Stephen Schork, cited the latest statistics from the Federal Highway Administration, noting that "estimated vehicle miles traveled ... on all U.S. public roads for March 2008 fell 4.3%, or 11 billion miles, compared with March 2007.

"In fact, this is the first time estimated March travel fell since 1979 and the largest year-on-year drop in the history of the report, which dates back to 1942," said the newsletter.

Sweet crude for July delivery was down $2.45 at $126.40 a barrel in electronic trade on the New York Mercantile Exchange by afternoon in Europe. The contract fell $3.34 to settle at $128.85 a barrel Tuesday, the first day of trade after the Memorial Day holiday.

The front-month contract is now close to $9 off its all-time peak of $135.09 a barrel, hit last Thursday.

U.S. gasoline demand slumping
Analysts said early indications suggest Americans are spending less time on the road.

"It definitely was lower than [previous] Memorial Day weekends," said Tom Kloza, publisher and chief oil analyst at the Oil Price Information Service.

In a research note, Edward Meir, an analyst at MF Global UK Ltd. said if trends continue "we could be heading for the first annual drop in gasoline consumption in some 17 years."

The United States is the world's largest energy consumer and fluctuations in consumer demand can impact international oil prices.

Michael Lynch, president of Strategic Energy & Economic Research Inc. in Winchester, Mass., thinks energy investors are selling on recent data suggesting Americans are driving less. That includes the weekly Energy Department reports that show gasoline demand is falling, and the Federal Highway Administration data.

Oil prices were also pressured by the dollar, which gained ground against the yen and euro. Investors who buy commodities such as oil as a hedge against inflation when the dollar falls tend to sell when the greenback strengthens. Also, a rising dollar makes oil more expensive to overseas investors.

Investors shrugged off a number of events that could have sent oil prices higher, including news that crude oil production in Mexico fell 13% in April compared with the previous year, the temporary shutdown of a North Sea oil platform and the latest in a spate of oil-pipeline bombings in Nigeria.

Investors also ignored continued strength in heating oil futures, which have over the last month helped send crude oil smashing through a string of new record highs. Distillate supplies worldwide are seen as strained due to strong demand for diesel from Europe and Asia.

In other Nymex trading, June heating oil futures fell nearly 4 cents to $3.7601 a gallon, while gasoline futures slipped by more than 2 cents to $3.3592 a gallon. Natural gas futures fell by just over 8 cents to $11.7190 per 1,000 cubic feet.

July Brent crude fell $2.12 to $126.17 a barrel on the ICE Futures exchange in London.

Sorry, only available as a lease vehicle at the moment. Three year lease to be specific unless they changed it, was over a year ago when I inquired about it. And only in specified locals. :frown:

I dont mind leasing it if I never have to pay for $4+ / gal! :D

It's ~4.50 right now 'in the future', if that makes sense :)

Back