• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1998 front targa seal replacement

Hello Prime, I purchased new targa seals a while back and am finally getting around to the install. Rear looks very straightforward. The front however, looks to have a few extra steps. Question, does the inner center windshield piece (trim between the A pillar trim pieces) need to come off via the 4 sunvisor screws to access the underside of the fixed plate? Or just snap out? I don't have a 98 service manual with drawings...but I should. I have a 1994 book with no targa references.
Thanks in advance,
Kaiserdad

Front targa seal, are you talking about the mega $ weather stripping that runs up one A pillar, across the targa opening and down the other A pillar? If so, then yes, the roof rail trim has to come off
-remove sun visor screws & sunvisors,
- remove trim along outside edge of A pillar,
- remove A pillar trim by popping clips (4 per side) and sliding it down / forward to release
- roof rail trim has 2 screws on each side that require removal then pull the trim directly back (its held by sliding hook things rather than push in clips)

Once the roof rail trim is off, removal of the seal should be self evident.

Removal of the seal is trivial compared to 'correct' reinstallation. Reinstallation is not just the reverse of removal. Honda dedicates 5 pages in the service manual to reinstallation of the seal (pg 20-95 to 20-99). Did the new seal come with the correct sealant and new EPT sealer strips. If not, you need to source that stuff before starting. Once completed you need to check the seal / retainer alignment which is another 4 pages and in the worst of all worlds you might need to adjust the door glass. You really do nee the service manual covering the targa roof cars. If you search on Prime you can find a link to a .pdf version covering the 1997 - 2005 cars. Its not 100% complete; but, its a good place to start.

I had a tiny 5mm long cut in the gasket on my driver side A pillar gasket on my 2000. Being slightly obsessive I thought I would replace the complete gasket until I checked the price of the gasket and the replacement process. At that point I got over my obsessiveness. A little drop of the correct CAA adhesive with activator fixed the cut just fine and annual application of the Honda silicon grease keeps the seal nice and soft.

Maintenance is good; but, this is one piece of maintenance that you want to make sure that you absolutely need to do it because incorrect re installation could make it worse than before.

Worse than it looks

Thanks for all that information. The new seals did come with 2 sided tape in certain areas, but no sealant. With what looks like 6 anchor spots (2 at bottom near front wheel area and 2x the 2 retainers on top each side), it looks like an easy job. I'm replacing merely for cosmetic reasons, no leakage. I will try to source a 97-05 manual to get some illustrations to have a better idea. Too expensive of a seal to not get right. Back looks simple, but I have to wait and see on that. Has anyone out there done this job than could chime in as well?

Nice cars but too many details at times.

Kaiserdad

Thanks for all that information. The new seals did come with 2 sided tape in certain areas, but no sealant. With what looks like 6 anchor spots (2 at bottom near front wheel area and 2x the 2 retainers on top each side), it looks like an easy job. I'm replacing merely for cosmetic reasons, no leakage. I will try to source a 97-05 manual to get some illustrations to have a better idea. Too expensive of a seal to not get right. Back looks simple, but I have to wait and see on that. Has anyone out there done this job than could chime in as well?

Nice cars but too many details at times.

Kaiserdad

97+ manual is available on the wiki: http://www.mediafire.com/file/qyzztnamtxy/1997-2005+Service+Manual.zip

With what looks like 6 anchor spots (2 at bottom near front wheel area and 2x the 2 retainers on top each side), it looks like an easy job.

Yes, removal is an easy job. Correct re installation, not so easy. If this is purely cosmetic, it would be a real downer to have a nice looking new seal that leaks or suffers from wind noise along the A pillar edge. Definitely review the service manual before you attempt this.

Back