• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1st Drive in NSX

Two weeks ago, I drove my first NSX :smile: I'd like to give Paul Brylek much appreciation for giving me the opportunity!

Drove from 35th Sox to Wrigley on Lakeshore Drive Chicago. After the drive, I had absolutely no words to describe how I felt. Smiling from ear to ear for hours afterward.

The last time I had that same indescribable feeling, I rode in a Ferrari Challenge 430 around Road America.

I want one even more now that I've driven an NSX. :tongue: Unbelievable!

Sharing my two week old excitement :biggrin:

Hey great stuff

still waiting for the opportunity to drive an nsx ...im surprised alot of nsx owner would never let you drive their cars ...one day ill just have to buy my own to experience the thrill that is the nsx lol

I recall my first test drive, it was something spectacular as well. When I drove a Netherland's member's NSX on the Nurburging a few weeks ago I cant explain how great that felt. The car casts a spell on all who look upon it and drive it.

Hey great stuff

still waiting for the opportunity to drive an nsx ...im surprised alot of nsx owner would never let you drive their cars ...one day ill just have to buy my own to experience the thrill that is the nsx lol

Lets hope a dealership around you gets one so you can test drive it. I really wouldnt let anybody drive my NSX. My one friend got lucky tho lol. I remember when I drove my first one. I was working at an auto auction and it was sitting in the lot. I asked one of my co workers "you think I would get in trouble for driving that around the lot?" He said probably not if the keys are just sitting in there. Sure enough there are the keys just sitting in the drivers seat. This NSX really need some TLC lots of scratches the wheels were rusted the interior was in bad shape. I look at the miles it had about 115,000 miles on it. It started right up and ran well. It just needed a new clutch I felt. I couldnt believe a sports car this old with that amount of miles ran so good. I was sold right after the drive.

Last edited:
Paul is an awesome guy,good luck and hope to see you in one in the near future :)

Being a dealer I had sat in many but never actually drove one until I picked up mine in Cali and drove it to Vegas for the weekend b4 it was shipped back to ny, what a ride that was.....

well since his is SuperCharged I think... you def should love the car LOL.

us NSX owners that have all stock are not so lucky in HP department.

but glad you loved it. now go buy one.

wanna buy my 2004 19K miles same color as the one you drove

LOL

Such a compliment in comparing the NSX to a 430 Scurderia.

Well, at least now you know why the majority of us wouldn't let go of our cars and spend the time on this forum. :smile:

Go buy one asap or it's gonna be hard for you to fall asleep at night. Good luck!

The first NSX I ever drove was DocL's. :D I was hooked after that.

I've let a few people who've contacted me through Prime drive my car. That's how us long time owners get newbies addicted. I take no responsibility for the deficit in your bank account.

Last edited:
I really wouldnt let anybody drive my NSX.

Initially I wasn't going to let Cole drive my car but after meeting and talking to him i felt comfortable enough.

Shawn, my Silverstone has the whole CT package (SC, headers, exhaust, sway bars and intake box). I also have KW V3 coilovers, stmpo fcb and ss blake lines with racing brake fluid.

my first drive was from an exotic dealer in LI NY in 94...it was a red/ivory 91 freshly washed.....I remember the sound of the valvetrain and the induction honk, and how easy to drive,and the view of the road.....

I let anyone who wants to (and can drive clutch) drive it. It's a car. They aren't going to break it in a parking lot or around the block if they know how to drive :)

The first NSX I ever drove was a test drive of an NA1 5 speed. It was an amazing experience and in no way did I come away thinking that anything was deficient with the NSX. Of course my NA2 CTSC is quicker, but I think a stock NSX is something everyone should try to drive at least once before they either buy an NSX or mod one. It is a very "pure" experience and gives you complete appreciation for what "all of the fuss" was about when the car made its debut. For anyone who has a broad appreciation for automotive excellence, I don't think time has lessened the impact of this at all (even if ultimately you decide to add more kick)

Last edited:
I let anyone who wants to (and can drive clutch) drive it. It's a car. They aren't going to break it in a parking lot or around the block if they know how to drive :)

The first NSX I ever drove was a test drive of an NA1 5 speed. It was an amazing experience and in no way did I come away thinking that anything was deficient with the NSX. Of course my NA2 CTSC is quicker, but I think a stock NSX is something everyone should try to drive at least once before they either buy an NSX or mod one. It is a very "pure" experience and gives you complete appreciation for what "all of the fuss" was about when the car made its debut. For anyone who has a broad appreciation for automotive excellence, I don't think time has lessened the impact of this at all (even if ultimately you decide to add more kick)

Amen Mlambert - a "pure experience" - that's a great definition. You know I never drove one until I drove the one I bought on test drive! Been wonderful driving it. Truly a wonderful car!

my first NSX experience was a 2002... my shoes were too wide so i could barely drive it... my head barely cleared... and it wasn't all that fast, so i gave up trying to get one. still i love the looks so much, i eventually decided to test drive one again... it was a 91 so i fit better...

I think some of this also comes down to what an individual wants out of, or appreciates in, a sports car.

If its purely acceleration, then IMO the best bet is to budget to buy something brand new every three years or even lease them

A new 911T, GT-R, Z06 or even a Mustang honestly, left BONE stock and turned over every few years is probably a lot cheaper in the long run then trying to turn an older sports car into something it isn't if your main focus is absolute performance.

Ive been at this fork in the road, personally, but decided that the performance the power:weight a CTSC delivers was "enough" for me that it became secondary to other factors.

Last edited:
I think some of this also comes down to what an individual wants out of, or appreciates in, a sports car.

If its purely acceleration, then IMO the best bet is to budget to buy something brand new every three years or even lease them

A new 911T, GT-R, Z06 or even a Mustang honestly, left BONE stock and turned over every few years is probably a lot cheaper in the long run then trying to turn an older sports car into something it isn't if your main focus is absolute performance.

Ive been at this fork in the road, personally, but decided that the performance the power:weight a CTSC delivers was "enough" for me that it became secondary to other factors.

not really... while modern cars are quite fast in a straight line, there is much faster to be had for less via aftermarket that very few stock modern cars can match. its not so much turning a car into something it isn't... its more like doing so without negative compromises that ruin the car.

unfortunately, its harder for some to do the aftermarket thing because of laws. my 300ZX TT can easily be doing 9's in the 1/4 mile with full weight + roll bar... fully reliable and comfortable... but there is that pesky smog issue. cost isn't much either. most people i know just say "screw it" to smog and find ways around it... and they enjoy all the power in the world that modern cars simply cannot provide.

i agree an NSX with CTSC is a good compromise as it is CARB Legal... but it sucks because it isn't the only option out there that runs clean, yet CA will only grant CARB Legal status to those that pay them ridiculous amounts of money...:rolleyes:

My first NSX drive was a 91 auto that a GM from a Honda Dealership was selling. Even as an automatic I came away in awe of that car. Had to have one after that. Had a GPW 92 and now a Berlina Black 92 now. I'm happy. Well, unfortunately I now want an NA2.:biggrin:

Anyone I know and can drive a manual is more than welcome to test drive my NSX. That is the best way to share the experience with others.

Last edited:
I've let a few people who've contacted me through Prime drive my car. That's how us long time owners get newbies addicted. I take no responsibility for the deficit in your bank account.

Worth every penny.

Interesting thread. I'm glad the OP had a positive experience. I on the other hand had nothing but poor initial experiences.

1) Drove my first NSX that was at a Porsche dealer in 1997. It was a '93 manual. Absolute junk! The shifter literally required two hands to shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd (I'm not that wimpy a guy). The guy told me, "this is the way performance cars are." I thought, "WTH?!" The suspension was noisy, the interior rattled. The intake sound was nice though. I walked away thoroughly disappointed.

2) Found a 1992 a few months later. Drove that one. Steering lacked any on center feel. Shifter again was junk, though, not as bad as #1. Only the 2nd to 3rd gear shifts were rough. The engine response seemed really slow and lazy. It was weird. It almost seeemd that it took its time to reach 7-8K RPM. I passed on that one.

3) Disappointed, I dismissed the NSX's for almost a decade. Although, their looks are undeniably attractive, the driving experience of the specimens I tried was horribly disappointing. At this point, I found a nice 2003 LBBP. It was an automatic and decided why not give it a try? The color was absolutely mesmerizing in person! The car looked to be in perfect shape. The drive, though, again was underwhelming. The car just didn't seem to have any "pep". Realize that I am not a hot rodder, racer, or drag race addict. But I did expect it to be somewhat quick. I think I could have accepted the somewhat anemic performance that may have been due to tranny/engine combo, but what I did NOT like was the multiple rattles. Honestly, the dash rattles this car had sounded like there were loose parts dangling in behind the dash. Also, strangely, the steering felt absolutely loose especially around corners. This particular model was listed as "stock" and "appeared" so. So I couldn't blame any of the irritations to poorly setup updates. Alas, I left disappointed again.

4) I let a few years pass and decided to jump back into the NSX realm. My friend found what he called a "cherry". I bought it sight unseen (I trusted my friend's recommendation). It has been truly the sweetest car I've ever owned. The prior owner kept this car completely OEM and took such meticulous care of the car, I had a hard time believing it was a '91. This car lacked any of the former example's bad behaviour. The steering was WAY better, I could shift with one hand, and NO RATTLES.

So to the original owner, I am delighted to hear that you had a very positive experience. Now you have a good reference to gauge other specimens by.

Interesting thread. I'm glad the OP had a positive experience. I on the other hand had nothing but poor initial experiences.

I originally rode with Paul when he owned his N/A 2003. Paul's new NSX on the other hand is a 2004, CTSC, low millage and immaculately maintained.

All the aftermarket Comptech goodies should have been factory installed :tongue: Definitely made an good impression over a stock NSX.

Also, is there a noticeable difference between the feeling of driving an early 90's NA1 vs, late 90's NA2's vs, 2002+ NA2's? I wasn't sure, because my price range upon purchase would be closer to an early 90's NA1.

Last edited:
Back