• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2004 Acura NSX Hybrid

Road & Track September 2002 issue. Anyone read or see the picture of this article. It's titled To The Future...And Beyond.To summarize they talk about how the NSX when showed last year, the next generation will look like...touching on about the V8 engine that will power the RL & NSX saying it may happen...they go into saying V6, combined with an electric motor assist,can easily top 400bhp, the larger-displacement V-6 good for 300bhp to the rear wheels, electric motor will add 100 to the front...they go on to discuss fuel mpg and a V8 hybrid option.

I'll post a pic, as soon as I can figure how a scanner works...

Spoke to a NSX'r at the Acura PV thing about this thread, 2004 is just around the corner, what's Honda really going to do with the next gen NSX???
Later
Wadasan

Originally posted by Wadasan:
Spoke to a NSX'r at the Acura PV thing about this thread, 2004 is just around the corner, what's Honda really going to do with the next gen NSX???
Later
Wadasan

Wadasan,

nice meeting you yesterday at the concourse. Although it was brief, i know you were dying to cruise down to Huntington Beach from the way you made it sound. i had to take a friend back home, but definitely next time.

it was also great getting reacquainted with everyone else as well.

khue

Originally posted by Wadasan:
what's Honda really going to do with the next gen NSX???

There is no reliable information to answer that question at this point in time. Honda is very good at keeping its secrets.

According to media reports, it's going to be a V6 or a V8 or a V10, conventional gasoline or with electric assist, normally aspirated or turbo or supercharger, making 350 or 400 or 500 horsepower. The car is going to be aluminum bodied or steel, and it will cost $50-60K or $90K or $143K.

Most reports say that the new car will be out for 2004 but I'm betting it will be coming out in 2004 as a 2005 model year car.

http://www.globalautonet.com/pages/roadahead/092302.html

The hybrid coming from Honda will NOT be a NSX replacement. It's not technically feasible to have a hybrid NSX.

And, if you read the link above it seems the NSX might not be updated for some time in the future.

That would explain the face lift and minor changes. Those changes might be around for 3 or 4 more years.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

That link doesn't even mention the NSX. Which is inconsistent with other media reports, which say that the NSX replacement is expected for 2004.

I am not sure what they've got planned, but I believe that they need A sports car in the lineup, and that there will be a new sports car introduced 18-30 months from now.

Not sure how many people knew about this one...I didn't. Panoz (Q9) HAD a hybrid racecar attempting qualification for Le Mans in 98. 650-690 HP 500 lbs. of torque. 150HP electric motor with the battery at 220lbs. That's pretty LIGHT and they were able to delete the alternator and starter motor. Those 2 are devices are pretty HEAVY and you can almost be close to making up the difference right there. It didn't qualify because of electrical problems but this was 4 years ago. If anyone can make a performance hybrid reliable and perform, Honda can do it.
http://www.evworld.com/archives/racing/panozq9.html

In a previous article, Tom Elliott, executive vice president of Honda, says "We're looking at several platforms for our next hybrid, I'm just not going to say which." So obviously they know which models they are and aren't looking at. I would expect some very valid leaks starting soon. Lets see how tight lipped Honda can be....they've really been good before, but with something as exciting as the new NSX?
smile.gif

Well.. if they want to come out with a 650 HP NSX with an elec. motor.. I think I could live with that
smile.gif

Originally posted by Jimbo:
http://www.globalautonet.com/pages/roadahead/092302.html

The hybrid coming from Honda will NOT be a NSX replacement. It's not technically feasible to have a hybrid NSX.

And, if you read the link above it seems the NSX might not be updated for some time in the future.

That would explain the face lift and minor changes. Those changes might be around for 3 or 4 more years.

-Jim

JIMBO- Whats happining brotha??? Did u happen to see the pics from Irwindale Speedway ? there located under events Pacific, my brother (MORPHIOUS) and I were there, it was very cool! cheers
Later
Wadasan

[This message has been edited by Wadasan (edited 24 September 2002).]

There won't be a new NSX - sorry. I know, we are all waiting for the V8, V10, Hybrid, 400, 450, 500hp, etc. I just believe it won't happen. Hold on to your NSXs because they will be worth a lot more when Honda announces there will be no other cars made to follow the NSX. They might call a Porsche Boxster fighter an NSX at the 50K level but I'm sure, if they do, it will be no NSX.

I may sound pessimistic, but I also think that the all new NSX is not going to exist. No matter what but the avverage (rich) person (not the true enthusiast that track the car and wants the technical marvels) wants a BIG BADGE before paying 90+k$. This is sad but it is what happens with the NSX now. An all new model? Could sell 2x or 3x better but not enough to justify the effort when they can easily build something like a S2x00, coupe and cabrio, with about 300ps: sell it at 50k$ and call it the Honda flagship model... the price would be in line with other sportcar from not prestigious car makers and the market would be a lot bigger.

In my opinion, they don't need a new model, they just need to throw in a V8 (420HP), add some new traction control system (like porsche or the vette), and add an in-dash CD player(it is rediculous to have 90k sports car without a in-dash CD). After those small changes, the NSX is as up-to-date as any other Supercar today. It would probably outperform a Ferrari 360, which is what we agree is a main target anyway!

Sounds pretty simple to me.

I agree w/ NetViper. Don't need a new model, just a REAL update.

Even if a v8 doesn't fit, a punched out / blown 6 will do
smile.gif

Originally posted by gheba_nsx:
I've asked this a long ago but if I remember correctely the frame/mounting points would not accept a bigger engine... an with a new frame = a whole new car...

Hmmm.. well, IF that is true, then they should just update the 3.2L engine to S2000 levels. 3.2x120HP/L = 384 HP. That would work for now.

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 26 September 2002).]

Wadasan,

This past Sunday afternoon I was minding my own business while driving my gold Lexus south on 405 to Del Mar, and I spotted three NSX's on the way. Then in the Long Beach area a black NSX-T w/ wheel & exhaust mods blasted by me at ~100 mph. I tailed him weaving arond 80 mph traffic for a while at 90-100 mph just to look & listen. He then took the Garden Grove exit, so I dropped off. I expect that it was you, because the CA plate was "WADASAN."

Anyway, if that was you, I certainly liked the way your car looked and sounded, but your acceleration rate onto the off ramp did not look stock and must be the result of a SC or turbo or some other engine mod. I liked the wheel/sspension look too. Would you mind listing all your mods?

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

Even if Honda just changed the engine, I lot of people critique the NSX styling as being too old for this decade. Hence the new headlights not being pop-up as this is considered an early 90s thing.

In order for Honda to increase sales (for example, in 2001, Chevy sold 30 Vettes compared to 8 new NSXs in Europe)the NSX needs a total make over to compete with new sports cars being offered. And in my opinion, honda hasn't done the best with restyling existing cars, like the prelude and new civic.

So, Honda either has to introduce a total new car or redesign the new NSX outside and inside on the existing platform. And I am in love with this body style, any changes done to the 2004 nsx would be very hard to love!

Originally posted by NSXY:
Wadasan,

This past Sunday afternoon I was minding my own business while driving my gold Lexus south on 405 to Del Mar, and I spotted three NSX's on the way. Then in the Long Beach area a black NSX-T w/ wheel & exhaust mods blasted by me at ~100 mph. I tailed him weaving arond 80 mph traffic for a while at 90-100 mph just to look & listen. He then took the Garden Grove exit, so I dropped off. I expect that it was you, because the CA plate was "WADASAN."

Anyway, if that was you, I certainly liked the way your car looked and sounded, but your acceleration rate onto the off ramp did not look stock and must be the result of a SC or turbo or some other engine mod. I liked the wheel/sspension look too. Would you mind listing all your mods?

NSXY- What up my brotha!!!?

I do have that on my plate, but my only mods r exhaust (Larry NSX Modified),rims (Volks AV3 17x18), springs (Neuspeed ? not positive) and intake(cheapy straight pipe). Interesting u should say Turbo. I met speeddemon at the Acura PV thing last week and stil waiting 4 info so I to can have a Twin Turbo like him.
If ur ever in H.B. u let me know and we can roll over to Larry (Yoda's) shop.

Later
Wadasan
spam4.gif

Originally posted by NetViper:
In my opinion, they don't need a new model, they just need to throw in a V8 (420HP), add some new traction control system (like porsche or the vette), and add an in-dash CD player

And an F1 transmission that doesn't eat the clutch like I've heard about Ferrari's... :)

Originally posted by NetViper:
In my opinion, they don't need a new model, they just need to throw in a V8 (420HP), It would probably outperform a Ferrari 360, which is what we agree is a main target anyway!

Sounds pretty simple to me.

I agree Net Viper. So simple.

Why did NSX sales were a success in 1991 and 1992?

Simply because Honnda came with a real sports car that outperformed entry level Ferrari ( 328 and 348T... ) and even the Testarossa in some aspect with a significantly cheaper price tag ( than the entry level Ferrari ).

They must do the same thing.

Outperform the 360 Modena and give the 550 Maranello a hard time on a race track.

How?

Introducing the first VTEC...V8 ! 10 000 rpm redline ( my wish ) with more than 120 hp / liter with 4 liter of displacement.

4L X more than 120hp/liter = more than 480hp

More than enuff!:COOL

or conservatively speaking:

4L X 90,625 hp/liter = 362,5 hp with 2850 kg

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

not enuff but way better than actual specs...

effer

Originally posted by gheba_nsx:
I've asked this a long ago but if I remember correctely the frame/mounting points would not accept a bigger engine... an with a new frame = a whole new car...

Yesterday we got a very close look at the 2002 Ferrari engine and transmission. The packaging of that V-10 was very small, looked like it would fit easily into the NSX.
Or Honda could rework the car and get rid of the trunk to allow the V-10 to fit longitudinally.

Back