• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2007 Boxster S vs 1997 NSX

I happen to think the Cayman S has EXCELLENT steering, much better than my NSX. I think it drives at least as well, if not better.

I didnt buy one because:

You can't fit 2 set of clubs in the trunk
No open top (I know, the Boxster has one!)
Not exotic enough - I need just a bit of flash to stroke my ego

Steering feel is also related to tire size and type. Try a car with stock tire size and preferably stock tires or Goodyear F1 D3s.

Tire size also effects acceleration as does gearing. Oversized tires slow down the car significantly and the '97 gearing also speeds the car up. I believe road tests indicated over a 1/2 second 0-60 time improvement of the '97 over '91. I was at the Est Fest this past weekend in Canada and when we were touring with occaisional bursts on some straightaways and around corners, a guy driving a '91 widebody and massively overtired NSX behind me asked if I was supercharged as he had a hard time keeping up. He was disapearing in my mirrors every time very noticeably. He was surprised to learn I wasn't and that i was just stock with stock wheels and Goodyear F1 D3s on my 2004, that's all.

Regards,

Tytus

Well I finally did it, test drove a nice candy-red 2001 NSX today.

The thing that surprised me the most was the power! After hearing soooo many people say how slow the NSX is, I was amazed at the low-end torque around 3000RPM and the nice rush from 5000 to 8000.

Many people are saying this from reading the specs online, and have never driven an NSX. There are faster new cars, but not too many if you compare the same model year (1997 - 2001). Choose a car that is right for you, not for someone else. Choose wisely. Good luck on your decision.

I don't know whgat it costs to modify a Boxter S. I am sure Ruf parts are not cheap. But the NSX responds incredibly to the slightest mods because the platform is so good and it was intentionally toned down by Honda to keep it very user friendly. A 42 pound exhaust that quiets the car like a Camry is one example. Factory suspension is quite compliant and soft, despite how the car handles with it. It is easy to add power to the engine.

With a few good mods the NSX becomes a beast, I just don't think you can get that with a Boxter (and I really like that car).

The bottom line is do you want to drive an ordinary car that pretty much blends into traffic? because that is what the Boxter and BMW do. That is not the NSX.

Frankly I am baffled by your observation of the steering. I have spent extensive time in a Cayman S and I just don't think the steering is any better than even my power assisted NSX. You have to realize alignment settings, tire type and pressure, suspension settings, they can all affect that to a certain extent. Just like the 01 you drove felt much faster than the 94 or whatever, I would bet a car properly setup will give you all the steering feel you are looking for. You do realize that the NSX was always praised for its steering in any magazine review?

Is caster angle adjustable on the NSX? Or is it fixed?

Steering is very subjective; to me it's not the NSX's strong point. In fact I think it's the only weak point. A car can't be perfect can it?:wink:

As for the difference in power between 1996 and 1997, it's probably due to gearing that I *felt* the car was faster.

I keep thinking about what would excite me more to have in my garage, and every time the image of that red NSX pops into my head....

I'm going to test drive the new Boxster S and Z4 M Roadster today. I'll make up my mind after that.

Is caster angle adjustable on the NSX? Or is it fixed?

Steering is very subjective; to me it's not the NSX's strong point. In fact I think it's the only weak point. A car can't be perfect can it?:wink:

As for the difference in power between 1996 and 1997, it's probably due to gearing that I *felt* the car was faster.

I keep thinking about what would excite me more to have in my garage, and every time the image of that red NSX pops into my head....

I'm going to test drive the new Boxster S and Z4 M Roadster today. I'll make up my mind after that.

I'd like to read your impressions of the Z4 M Roadster as that is a car I'm considering. For $40K it has to be considered versus $55K for an '02+ NSX.

Jacques, for the price of that 2001 NSX at H Gregoire, you could get a Porsche 996 turbo... think about it

Envoi moi un PM pour plus de détails si ça t'intéresse mais fais vite ;)

Jacques, for the price of that 2001 NSX at H Gregoire, you could get a Porsche 996 turbo... think about it

Envoi moi un PM pour plus de détails si ça t'intéresse mais fais vite ;)

OR you could buy...

... a nearly new BMW M3.
... a supercool used BMW M5
... a Ferrari F355 that might need some work
... a fast as hell, nearly new Lotus Esprit V8
... an uber-supercar performance machine Corvette Z06
... a nice boat
... several years of college tuition for your kid
... $50k in startup funds for a new business -- true freedom doesn't come from a DOHC vehicle or double wishbone suspension, you know

Be smarter than to take advice from internet strangers. Drive an NSX. Drive other cars. Buy the one you want, or save your money.

Like Puma said... think about it.

Frankly I am baffled by your observation of the steering. I have spent extensive time in a Cayman S and I just don't think the steering is any better than even my power assisted NSX. You have to realize alignment settings, tire type and pressure, suspension settings, they can all affect that to a certain extent. QUOTE]

I have to agree here, not to make excuses but this 2001 NSX may not have been a perfect example. I sell Porsche's and although I will be the first to tell you that a 07 Boxster S and all the other Porsche models give excellent steering response and feedback. I really prefer my 02 NSX steering, and I like it much better then my previous 91 NSX non PS. I think that when it comes to direct and intuitive steering the NSX remains up there

If someone took my NSX away and gave me a boxter S instead, frankly, I'd be mad. If they gave me the MZ4, I'd have to kill somebody...

If they said "well we gave you another nice car", I would scream:

"YOU TOOK MY LIMITED PRODUCTION, ALL-ALUMINUM, HAND-BUILT, BEAUTIFUL EXOTIC CAR AWAY AND YOU GAVE ME A REGULAR SPORTS CAR???"

Oh man I would be so upset.... That's just how I feel. But the NSX is not for everybody.

Well I test drove the Z4 M Roadster today.

Fantastic screamer of an engine, kind of like the Honda S2000 engine only with tons more power and torque all accross the RPM band.

Brakes were touchy and their feel was bleah

Shifter was not too bad but still rubbery

Steering was very quick and precise but lacking feel, like most cars I am starting to realize....

The engine is very raw and ''racer'' but the rest of the chassis isn't that impressive. Maybe on a race track the car comes alive, but for every day use, it didn't give me that special feeling the NSX or my Boxster do.

So it's down to NSX or new Boxster S. Lotus Elise and M Roadster are out!

Now I just have to try and test drive a new Boxster S...the Porsche dealer today told me they don't have any demos...

OR you could buy...

... a nearly new BMW M3.
... a supercool used BMW M5
... a Ferrari F355 that might need some work
... a fast as hell, nearly new Lotus Esprit V8
... an uber-supercar performance machine Corvette Z06
... a nice boat
... several years of college tuition for your kid
... $50k in startup funds for a new business -- true freedom doesn't come from a DOHC vehicle or double wishbone suspension, you know

Be smarter than to take advice from internet strangers. Drive an NSX. Drive other cars. Buy the one you want, or save your money.

Like Puma said... think about it.

I'm not basing the decision to buy a 50K car on internet strangers; I'm just sharing my car buying experience with you guys because I am very interested in an Acura NSX, and this is the biggest NSX board in the world.

I thought it might interesting to listen to what NSX owners think about the car I am cross-shopping the Acura with.

I'm a little torn between both cars, and it's kind of fun to be on the hunt for a new (to me) car.

Well I test drove the Z4 M Roadster today.

Fantastic screamer of an engine, kind of like the Honda S2000 engine only with tons more power and torque all accross the RPM band.

Brakes were touchy and their feel was bleah

Shifter was not too bad but still rubbery

Steering was very quick and precise but lacking feel, like most cars I am starting to realize....

The engine is very raw and ''racer'' but the rest of the chassis isn't that impressive. Maybe on a race track the car comes alive, but for every day use, it didn't give me that special feeling the NSX or my Boxster do.

So it's down to NSX or new Boxster S. Lotus Elise and M Roadster are out!

Now I just have to try and test drive a new Boxster S...the Porsche dealer today told me they don't have any demos...

You forgot to mention it's also ugly. :biggrin:

Jacques, the NSX suspension is fully adjustable...as for the steering, I'm sure it the tires on the '97 that you drove. With the correct alignment and tires the steering is great.

I agree 100% the 97+ car's are faster than t 91-94....maybe it the six speed.

Next time you are in Toronto, get in touch with one of the NSX Club of Canada members for a drive.

Bram

Greetings

Jacques -- rent a Porsche Boxster -- go to Google, find a place, and go for it. I always wanted a Ferrari or Lamborghini till I rented one of each. That way you can drive without the owner or a salesperson in the car with you.

BTW -- best money I ever spent on those rentals, because I did not make a mistake and buy the wrong car.

Cheers,
Martin

I drive a 1994 Nsx with headers. My wife drives a boxster. I have logged several miles on wife's boxster. I have logged several thousand miles on a Lotus elise. I like the boxster the least of the 3. The lotus is the best handler of the 3 but has awkward ergonomics, making NSX my first choice. If you must get a P car get a 911 newer than 2002 preferably newer than 2005.(my last car was a 2002 911) My 2 cents.

Greetings

Jacques -- rent a Porsche Boxster -- go to Google, find a place, and go for it. I always wanted a Ferrari or Lamborghini till I rented one of each. That way you can drive without the owner or a salesperson in the car with you.

BTW -- best money I ever spent on those rentals, because I did not make a mistake and buy the wrong car.

Cheers,
Martin

There are no 2007 Boxster S to rent in my city unfortunately...

It's not as easy to test drive cars here in Canada as it is in the USA;)

I'd take a 97 NSX over a 2000 Boxster S any day. However, you could pbly get a preowned 07 Boxster S for similar money. Right there, I'd have to think about it. The NSX could never offer the top down motoring of the newer Boxsters. Their super quiet in the open air, and more refined, which is hard to pass up.

Why would you want a Boxster. Everybody has one! The NSX is a lot more exclusive.

I reallllly don't care about exclusivity.

It's 100% the drive.

The NSX is very sexy and I love looking at pretty cars, but I'm not going to spend money on something just because it's rare.

I'm strongly considering the NSX only because it gaves me boosebumps when I test drove it. The driving position, the feel of the car, etc...

you must have driven one POS of a pre-97.
20hp is not a big difference, after changing headers that difference is only 8whp but still 150lbs heavier than a 91-94. Power steering is unnecessary on a mid engine 3000lb car unless you can barely bench 50lbs. My girl drives w/o power steering without issues.

Buy a 91-94. Spend $6k or so on H/I/E, street/track 3/4" lowering springs, a front sway bar, light wheels and a 150lb diet it will run 13 flat and corner with $200k exotics, and run circles around any BMW or any N/A Porsche.

The Boxster unfortunately cheapens the Porsche brand and gets no respect.

The elise has to be abused to 9k like a civic to get moving and comfort was not even a slight objective

the M coupe is a awesome car but not as exotic as an NSX and will be played out as soon as something newer comes out.

Buy any NSX, become addicted to a feeling that will never be replicated

Listen to this smart NSX owner above. I have a '93 with only intake and headers modification, modest 70 lbs diet, and a Momo steering wheel. These little changes definitely enhance the driving experience, especially replacing the heavy OEM steering wheel with the lighter more responsive Momo.
If you have to purchase a Porsche, the Cayman S is the one. It's like a German NSX. :biggrin:

I'm strongly considering the NSX only because it gaves me boosebumps when I test drove it. The driving position, the feel of the car, etc...

That's what I am saying. This car is FUN TO DRIVE. That is why you buy something like this. I loved the Cayman... but it didn't do it for me like my NSX does. When you sit that low, and the hood slopes down to the ground immediately, you see the road right in front of your face. As you move, it feels like you ate going very fast. When I am doing 40, passengers look at the speedo and can't believe we are ONLY going 40. The close ratio 6 speed really adds to the fun.

Now I added the supercharger and exhaust, gained 113 HP at the wheels, and this particular exhaust which cost me a pretty penny is just MUSIC at 8K RPM's. Add to that my R shifter, short shift kit and stalk which make the shifts very tactile, super short, super fast flick of your wrist... and it just becomes pure joy to drive. I pull it out of the garage, look at the engine that is idling in a lumpy way behind my seats (I removed the engine cover), listen to the slightly raspy and sort of obnoxious exhaust... get in and sit low, put it in gear, and I swear my palms are sweating already.

See me here.... man I am having do much fun:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2lMn10m_MnQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2lMn10m_MnQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p5koXVLuc7k&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p5koXVLuc7k&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Sitting behind my head:

coolant1.jpg

OK sorry to go on and on. You should get what you want. I just love my car. :biggrin:

Since I just bought a 2005 NSX It's not practicle to spend more money right now but soon I plan to get a Lotus Exige S to autocross. They are really fast and handle better than anything I've ever driven. 0-60 in 4.1 sec 0-100 in 10.7 and truly hooked up like it's on rails. Don't get me wrong I love my NSX for a daily driver it's really a nice car. Plenty of power great looks and very plush and reliable but if you want to go fast the Exige S will run circles around a stock NSX.

It's all about the fun factor. Both cars are awesome. Ego's aside.

I reallllly don't care about exclusivity.

It's 100% the drive.

The NSX is very sexy and I love looking at pretty cars, but I'm not going to spend money on something just because it's rare.

Agreed guys, but if you can get an NSX that can handle like a boxster, if not better, than why get something that everybody has?

It's not like the NSX is a POS and I'm saying get that, because it's exclusive. The NSX is an amazing car and it's a gravy that it's rare!

I offered 50 000$ in Canadian dollars for a 2001 NSX with 32 000 miles and the dealer says he is willing to accept.

The car is 100% stock

Good deal or not?

Car is red

Back