• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2007 Mustang GT Vs. 1991 NSX

Sorry to say guys but there was no competition. Its a MUSTANG!

I've raced Mustang Cobras and even pulled on them.

I dont understand where all the doubts came from. The NSX is MUCH ligher (maybe by about 700 lbs).

I don't get all the hype about this race. We all knew what was going to happen.

Even with my friends 97 Mustang Cobra that put down 320HP to the wheels, I was able to pull one car length on him. I'm glad this thread is done.

Now can we stop talking about mustangs? :rolleyes:

I found this thread interesting because I used to drag race many a Mustang 5.0 back in the day. I ran consistent high 13.6 times with a stock engine with headers, exhaust, slicks, front runners, and a 3.73 r/p. The car was a notch-back lightened a fair bit, nothing extraordinary.

I would imagine that car today would run circles around a stock GT today simply due to weight.

1st of all Congrats.

2nd - You need to work on your 60 ft. times.:wink:

3rd - This a 1/4 mile we are talking about. Go to a roadcourse and see how badly you can REALLY spank him.

4th - Dumba$$ Mustang owner had it coming.

1st of all Congrats.

2nd - You need to work on your 60 ft. times.:wink:

3rd - This a 1/4 mile we are talking about. Go to a roadcourse and see how badly you can REALLY spank him.

4th - Dumba$$ Mustang owner had it coming.

I hear ya on the 60 times. The starter wasn't too bright. Twice he kept telling me to creep up...creep up..all while at the same time he started the staging tree. Total B.S. He even redlighted me once because he made me scoot up too far:mad: I don't think he wanted to see me spank the 'stang another time.:wink:

The lady at the booth that handed out the slips says 'Don't pay any attn to that idiot who is lining you up...just watch the tree'. She was right.

Congratulations, remember the race is always against yourself.

Nice job Paul. I think I might have to line up something with the guy that works next door with shelby gt500. I'm pretty sure I can take him with my BBSC. It weighs 400lbs more than the gt, so almost 1000lbs heavier than me. Can't wait to see the vids.

First off

Mustang driver= bad driver..

second

Awesome, glad this is all behind us now!

But for future reference a good friend of mine has an 07 GT and he runs consistent 13.67's:biggrin: CLOSE! But he is one HELL of a driver!

Nice job Paul. I think I might have to line up something with the guy that works next door with shelby gt500. I'm pretty sure I can take him with my BBSC. It weighs 400lbs more than the gt, so almost 1000lbs heavier than me. Can't wait to see the vids.

Thanks, Andy. You'll definitely run well with the GT500s once you get your car back. 1000lbs is a lot of weight. Let me know and I'll go up there with you. During the week was nice, we didn't have to wait at all to race.

Like others have said, tried to make this not matter until you won:smile: As someone else said, the drag strip is more the Mustang's friend than yours, get his car on a road course with a high pucker factor and see how many laps it takes to actually lap him - from experience, that's the most embarrassing thing that can happen in motorsports, even a DNF is better.

Congrats! I too was watching this thread closely. People just really underestimate these cars. Yea, 270hp doesn't sound like a lot....but they forget that this isn't a regular 3800lbs car.
This makes me wish I had taken on the 96ish mustang cobra that revved on me on the freeway the other day....I just wasn't in the mood....and better to make them always wonder.... haha.

the end results were expected but i was also expecting the stang to put up a better fight. they are high 13 second cars stock in the right hands.

now you show thats the beauty behind japanese engineering, you can do more with a lot less. 99% of the people that says nsx's are slow and are under powered have never driven one or never seen one race. now that stang owner will be part of that 1% that finally get it.

Nice. I've been following this thread for awhile.
Could you also take a picture of the Stang with the Sticker "I lost to a Honda"

I bet you now have lots to talk about at the office.

Congrats.

Congrats...I wonder if the MR setup was an advantage to you on the launches? Can't wait to see the Videos

2007 Mustang GT vs. 1991 NSX

I recently rented a Mustang GT convertible when my 1991 NSX was in the shop. It was an oversized, poorly made, ill handling, piece of cr#p. With grabby brakes. And that is being charitable.

The one good thing about the Mustang was that it made a nice sound at WOT. But then an NSX makes an amazing sound at WOT and is so far ahead of the Mustang in every other area there is no sense in attempting to compare the two.

Mustang GT:tongue:
NSX:biggrin:

great write up, judging from the video angle the race was closer than i thought. i guess you guys took off at different times because the distance discrepancy was a lot less than what the difference in time suggest.

interesting that me and paul93 ran similar E.T.'s even though i trap almost 4 mph's higher. however i just rolled off the line vs his actually take off.

Re: 2007 Mustang GT vs. 1991 NSX

I recently rented a Mustang GT convertible when my 1991 NSX was in the shop. It was an oversized, poorly made, ill handling, piece of cr#p. With grabby brakes. And that is being charitable.

The one good thing about the Mustang was that it made a nice sound at WOT. But then an NSX makes an amazing sound at WOT and is so far ahead of the Mustang in every other area there is no sense in attempting to compare the two.

Mustang GT:tongue:
NSX:biggrin:

Of course, NSX - $90K (brand new) vs. what? Mustang- $45K (brand new). Half of the price. NSX must be better!

Long live NSX.

Last edited:
S14_tat,

Thanks. I plan to sponsor more of these events as the site starts to pick up as well as offering contests/ give-away's in the future. Initially I created the site to review current model cars as well as talk about performance modifications and customization. It has evolved a little bit since I started but I will continue to write my reivews and hopefully create a new page on the site specifically dedicated to sponsored races. On this page I will include photos, videos, and time slips for each car so that everyone can see non-biased evidence of their track experience.

Wil Ramirez
DrivN Editor

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in the video of the NXS vs Mustang race but the results are finally in.

Wil Ramirez

Thanks for taking all this trouble to post about the results.

I found it to be a nice contest, especially reading about all the tips and tricks from everybody.
Don't know the Mustang at all since it is not sold where I live, but it is nice to know the NSX did pretty well.

Paul91 said:
The results are in...drumroll....... NSX-5 Mustang-0.

Much congratulations on your excellent results.
Now, tell us, did you believe upfront the outcome would be so definite? :smile:
I would very much like to know how the owner of the Mustang reacted to these results?

MVM,

I can tell you first hand that both drivers were a little nervous about the outcome but Paul did his homework and prepared a little better than the Mustang owner.

As a result, the Mustang owner was a little shocked with the outcome because he was planning on winning the race based on statistical information rather than taking into account driver experience and general knowledge of track racing.

He was tracking his car on half a tank of gas, didn't do anything to reduce weight, and didn't deflate his tires to get better traction. Could the results have been different? Maybe but again, driver response time and skill plays an even bigger part in the grand scheme of things.

Wil Ramirez
DrivN Editor

Last edited:
Back