• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2011 Porsche 911 Turbo S kicks serious asses

:eek:

As much as I always wanted a 911, I just couldn't connect with mine. It felt like an SUV compared to the NSX. I know it was just me, seeing as it is such a revered driver's car, but it just wasn't for me. To each their own.

As much as I always wanted a 911, I just couldn't connect with mine. It felt like an SUV compared to the NSX. I know it was just me, seeing as it is such a revered driver's car, but it just wasn't for me. To each their own.

Lol... and I'm the total opposite. I've put more miles on my 997tt in 7 months than I did on my '03 NSX in 2+ years.

I haven't missed either of my NSX's... although they were super cool cars.. and I still hope to have one in my garage someday as part of my "collection".

2012 GT-R is pretty bad ass. 0-60 2.9sec. 530hp. 90 grand vs ??? for the Porsche 160k range ???

see www.0-60mag.com

You do know a 480hp GT-R runs 118-120 trap speeds. So a 530hp will run at most 123-125 trap speeds. At speeds over 120 you need more then the typical 10hp for another 1mph trap speed so it could be even less. On a highway run from a roll the Turbo S would kill the new GT-R so would the 458 and the ZR1. Plus those 2.9 times are from Nissan only .... lets see what others can get and if the same launch control Nissan used in Japan is available here. Not trying to be negative toward the GT-R but all the cars listed above will run 0-60 times in the 2.9-3.3 range and they all run close to 129-130 trap speeds except the GT-R --- so from a dig ---- drivers race for all ---- but roll ons and the GT-R is outmatched.

Lol... and I'm the total opposite".
Me too. I loved my NSX but my 997s is in a whole new realm in almost every respect but for exclusivity.

I love the 997turbo or GT3. I would trade my nsx for either in a heartbeat. I don't understand those that don't like those P-cars. They are unbelievable street and track cars. They did what Honda didn't do by upgrading the car every few years to what it should have been. Honda did well in 1991. After that time caught up to the nsx and we(the public) lost out on the car that could have been the McLaren F1. Porsche makes a great car. Anyone who doubts it should go drive one and you will most likely change your mind. The advancements in technology over the years are second to none from German engineers.

Looking to upgrade to a 996 TT...can't afford the 997 juuuust yet.

Any opinions?....its hard to get away from the nsx.

I love the 997turbo or GT3. I would trade my nsx for either in a heartbeat. I don't understand those that don't like those P-cars. They are unbelievable street and track cars. They did what Honda didn't do by upgrading the car every few years to what it should have been. Honda did well in 1991. After that time caught up to the nsx and we(the public) lost out on the car that could have been the McLaren F1. Porsche makes a great car. Anyone who doubts it should go drive one and you will most likely change your mind. The advancements in technology over the years are second to none from German engineers.

I agree would take a GT3 in a second....my dream car and color here !

Last edited:
Me too. I loved my NSX but my 997s is in a whole new realm in almost every respect but for exclusivity.

No way. My 03 NSX was way more memorable than my 997 Carrera S (which was fully upgraded leather, ceramic brakes, nav, etc). It was nO contest, NSX wins.

Maybe the new 911's are a little better than the old ones, but just the windshield of the NSX in relation to the driver, the seating position, and the angle of the dash on the NSX is enough to blow away a 997 by design alone.

Hopefully the 998 with its Panamera center console will come closer.

No way. My 03 NSX was way more memorable than my 997 Carrera S (which was fully upgraded leather, ceramic brakes, nav, etc). It was nO contest, NSX wins.

Maybe the new 911's are a little better than the old ones, but just the windshield of the NSX in relation to the driver, the seating position, and the angle of the dash on the NSX is enough to blow away a 997 by design alone.

To each his own. But to me the brakes, steering, structural integrity and power of the current 997S is light years ahead of the NSX... as it should be for a much newer car. I'm not taking anything away from the NSX.. hell, I loved mine... but I'm also a realist.

I agree that the cabin "feel" of the NSX is more exotic with the sight lines, etc. but the overall cabin in my 997 is way more comfortable, more usable, and more pleasant than my NSX was. The smell of my full leather interior even at nearly 3 years old is to die for.

But you're comparing apples and oranges here. From a pricing standpoint on up, comparing a new 911s to car designed in the late 80's isn't fair to either product.

To each his own. But to me the brakes, steering, structural integrity and power of the current 997S is light years ahead of the NSX... as it should be for a much newer car. I'm not taking anything away from the NSX.. hell, I loved mine... but I'm also a realist.

I agree that the cabin "feel" of the NSX is more exotic with the sight lines, etc. but the overall cabin in my 997 is way more comfortable, more usable, and more pleasant than my NSX was. The smell of my full leather interior even at nearly 3 years old is to die for.

But you're comparing apples and oranges here. From a pricing standpoint on up, comparing a new 911s to car designed in the late 80's isn't fair to either product.

Basically hit the nail on the head. The NSX looks a ton more "exotic"... there's just no doubt about it. I kinda out-grew that whole idea and I wanted something more practical. When it comes to super cars, there is probably nothing more practical than a 911. A lot of NSX owners will say the next step up is a Ferrari or Lambo (or R8) but after careful consideration I realized that it would be just a little to "much" for me.... I also wanted a targa/convertible so my choices became limited.

One thing I LOVED about the NSX was how user friendly it was.. the 911 is even more so.

Hey, if Honda had kept updating the NSX, I probably would have bought a new one! I was really excited for the V10 mule they were running around, even though it was front engine. I was also hoping to buy the new TL-SH-AWD as my daily but that car fell short as well, and I ended up with an S4. I've personally kinda lost my connection to Honda in general and I'm only a fan of their older cars now.

Hell, even though our current Odyssey is amazing, I can't see buying the newer ugly one. Ok, /end Honda now sucks rant.

The Turbo S is pretty darn amazing... you can't go faster as easily for that price. I prefer my '09 with a manual 6spd, sacrificing outright speed for personal enjoyment.

P7270105.jpg

Last edited:

NSX was a one-hit wonder and that's it. Although ahead of its time, the NSX was long surpassed by the current high end sports cars. Sort of like the hare and turtle race and the NSX lost. I am a huge fan of the NSX or else I would not have owned 4. While the NSX was sleeping, Porsche kept on doing what they do best, building the best sports cars of its times. The NSX was once among the greatest sports cars and I think it is still an outstanding consumer product BUT the world has moved on. One drive of my coworker's 2009 997 C4S left me NO doubt that Porsche IS the king. NSX is left in the dust.
Steve

NSX was a one-hit wonder and that's it. Although ahead of its time, the NSX was long surpassed by the current high end sports cars. Sort of like the hare and turtle race and the NSX lost. I am a huge fan of the NSX or else I would not have owned 4. While the NSX was sleeping, Porsche kept on doing what they do best, building the best sports cars of its times. The NSX was once among the greatest sports cars and I think it is still an outstanding consumer product BUT the world has moved on. One drive of my coworker's 2009 997 C4S left me NO doubt that Porsche IS the king. NSX is left in the dust.
Steve

Exactly... I have no desire to own a '69 camaro, but someday I hope to own another '91 NSX. I kinda feel the same way about both of those cars... in their day, they were king.

I think comparing a C2S is not the same as a turbo, turbo S or GT3. I drove a GT3 and it was simply amazing. I love the turbo Porsches as well. I agree with all other comments here regarding the NSX being left in the dust. The NSX is a classic sports car now. It needs some upgrades to make it drive the same way as other cars out there.

The one comment I hear regarding P cars is they all look the same. I don't agree with that unless you don't know which car is which. I mean Porsche did produce a Carrera for 30 years so the differences were not dramatic over that time but they certainly look good for each generation.

I have a total911 Magazine that compares a 91 NSX to a Porsche 964 and the writers actually award the NSX the winner. Here is the catch. They are comparing the 911 of that time and year and not even a 993 or 996 Carrera. They made huge leaps in technology from the 964 to the 997. The NSX didn't change hardly at all in 15 years I think. In some ways I think buying a 2005 NSX is a raw deal because you are getting 90's engineering for a high price these days. They still look good but is it worth it? If I had $45k to blow on a car it would not go that way. A used 996 GT3 can be had for that amount I believe. The GT3 is just as rare if not more rare than the NSX in this case too. I think too many owners from this NSXPRIME site have lost touch with what is a real sports car or worth the money in today's economy and engineering time.

YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO GET BANNED!!!:tongue:

My wife was driving the NSX yesterday. I watched it leave my office and was following her home. The lines are absolutely beautiful. The styling, stance and sound of modified exhaust is amazing. Then I looked at my car(GT3). I remembered that the GT3 beats it in EVERY OTHER CATEGORY other than styling and fighter jet seating. These would be acceleration, braking, handling, modern electronics, trunk space(20 cu. ft), plus the GT3 came with a warranty. And Styling is subjective. I find the styling of both cars beautiful and compelling. The NSX is all angles while the porsche is all curves.

I don't plan on selling either. Well - I wouldn't mind a GT3 RS or a NSX Type R.:wink:

The 911 Turbo is one of a handful of cars I like.
I wouldn't mind owning one for a few years.

Question for those of you who don't own a p car in this thread. Which would you rather get for the same amount of money ($100k used) ? 997 turbo or audi r8?

For a $100,000 used? First off you don't need that much to buy a 911 turbo used is the point. I would buy two used turbos for that much OR get a 997 GT3 for $60k and save the rest. The Audi is nice but it isn't a drivers car. I don't own a Porsche right now nor a Audi R8. They are both great cars but I like driving my cars so I would go with the Porsche almost everytime.

I would probably buy a Ford GT since they hold their value well for a $100k if I could.

The GT3 does best the NSX in almost every category like the previous poster said. Which looks better between the two? That is subjective and some days I like the GT3 and some the NSX. I have seen some really beautiful NSX cars at NSXPO so not every car is created equal. I think the old NA1 tail-lights look awful though. That needed to be changed.

For a $100,000 used? First off you don't need that much to buy a 911 turbo used is the point. I would buy two used turbos for that much OR get a 997 GT3 for $60k and save the rest.

I would probably buy a Ford GT since they hold their value well for a $100k if I could.

Decent 997.1 Turbos are still mostly in the 70k+ range... and I haven't seen a ford GT for less that $140k.

Kinda like saying I'm going to buy a '91 NSX for $18k... Yeah, you can, but, you probably don't want to.

You'll be hard pressed to find a nice 996 Turbo for $50k.

You do know a 480hp GT-R runs 118-120 trap speeds. So a 530hp will run at most 123-125 trap speeds. At speeds over 120 you need more then the typical 10hp for another 1mph trap speed so it could be even less. On a highway run from a roll the Turbo S would kill the new GT-R so would the 458 and the ZR1. Plus those 2.9 times are from Nissan only .... lets see what others can get and if the same launch control Nissan used in Japan is available here. Not trying to be negative toward the GT-R but all the cars listed above will run 0-60 times in the 2.9-3.3 range and they all run close to 129-130 trap speeds except the GT-R --- so from a dig ---- drivers race for all ---- but roll ons and the GT-R is outmatched.

Even the C6 Z06 will kill a GTR from a roll.

And of course a blown GTO can give a GTR a medical exam:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278843

Back