• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2016 mdx

I recently had my 2010 mdx transmission fluid changed at a scheduled maintenance by Acura. One day later, the car completely pulled out of gear while driving it and would not move. I pulled over, shut the car down and restarted it. No problems since, but I am still wondering WTF happened! It was really strange.

There's a new TSB released earlier this month that supposedly covers the torque converter problem.

Now all Acura has to do is solve our DI engine pinging problems. There is a noticeable drop in performance as well as spark knock.

That TSB doesn't apply to the MDX.

The pinging issue is interesting. We really haven't had many pinging issues since DI has been implemented. Can I assume you are using premium unleaded and have tried switching stations with no change?

That TSB doesn't apply to the MDX.

The pinging issue is interesting. We really haven't had many pinging issues since DI has been implemented. Can I assume you are using premium unleaded and have tried switching stations with no change?

It does. Look at TSB 16-044.

Only premium Shell or BP. Has done it the past 3k miles now with many different tanks of gas in various states. Acura techs confirmed it during one of the frequent service visits this past year. Cali Honda says there is nothing they can do. Just keep running premium Shell.

Maybe need to change the valve overlap or add an A/O separator to the pcv system? Doesn't matter now. I'm dumping this before the winter.

It does. Look at TSB 16-044.

Only premium Shell or BP. Has done it the past 3k miles now with many different tanks of gas in various states. Acura techs confirmed it during one of the frequent service visits this past year. Cali Honda says there is nothing they can do. Just keep running premium Shell.

Maybe need to change the valve overlap or add an A/O separator to the pcv system? Doesn't matter now. I'm dumping this before the winter.

Oh whoops. Forgot we issued a TSB for pretty much everything. Really only seems to be an issue in the TL though.

Anyways. Like you said it won't matter since you're selling it soon, but while a valve clearance issue could possibly do it I absolutely don't think adding an air-oil separator to your specific engine will matter. I can't do the dealer tech's job for them, but I'm quite certain they could figure out why it's pinging. They just don't want to and/or lack the competence to do so. Unfortunate that they soured your experience with your MDX.

No problem.

MDXers.org has all kinds of complaints on the new MDX's unfortunately... from glitchy electronics, to hardware problems, to assembly issues.

That's one of the reasons I withdrew our deposit on the new NSX. Even though it took Honda a long time to release the new NSX, I'm sure it was a rush job at the end. I don't want to be the guinea pig on a $160k Honda like I was on a $60k Honda.

Well, that and I drove the new hybrid RLX when it was first released and I disliked the very artificial torque-vectoring (my test drive review is on here). It seems to have carried over to the NSX from quite a few of the reviewers.

I've searched other Honda forums looking for instances of DI engine problems but haven't found spark knock issues. I was a bit surprised to hear that Honda technical in California couldn't help resolve the issue either. Not sure what can be done at this point. The reason we bought this '14 MDX was that it was the quietest 7-passenger SUV at the time on the highway. Not now with it pinging away doing 70MPH with the A/C on and a light-to-moderate engine load! I have to manually shift it down to 5th whenever there are any little hills....

MDXers.org has all kinds of complaints on the new MDX's unfortunately... from glitchy electronics, to hardware problems, to assembly issues.

I've searched other Honda forums looking for instances of DI engine problems but haven't found spark knock issues. I was a bit surprised to hear that Honda technical in California couldn't help resolve the issue either. Not sure what can be done at this point.

I've seen all the 2014+ MDX problems on that forum. Any guesses as to what my name is over there? MDX is a bread and butter vehicle for us, so I like to keep my finger on the pulse so to speak of what kind of things go wrong with them. Which is why I'm surprised to hear about your pinging issue.

Also surprised that Techline couldn't help your dealer figure it out. They either didn't actually call them or someone had an off day. Like I said, I can't tell them how to do their job, but the obvious thing to me is that they don't normally just ping. So you take any one of the dozens of normal ones (customer shuttle, loaners, new/used inventory) on the lot and just compare it to yours. It's like the last page of People magazine. Lots of things there in those two seemingly identical pictures. But something is different. Find what's different (fuel trim, MAP sensor, compression, fuel pressure, etc), find out what's making it different, and bam problem solved no more pinging.

Again, I'm sorry your dealer has failed you. I've said many a time that not all dealers are the same. Some are better than others. Have you tried another dealer or are you just completely done with the vehicle no matter what at this point?

- - - Updated - - -

Wait. I wasn't going to take a stab at this over the Internet but I have a long shot here. When you say pinging at 70mph, is it a constant noise that goes on forever until you let off the gas? Or is a quick almost buzz that maybe lasts anywhere from a split second to maybe as long as 3 seconds? If it's the latter, does it also do it at around 25-30mph?

I've seen all the 2014+ MDX problems on that forum. Any guesses as to what my name is over there? MDX is a bread and butter vehicle for us, so I like to keep my finger on the pulse so to speak of what kind of things go wrong with them. Which is why I'm surprised to hear about your pinging issue.

Also surprised that Techline couldn't help your dealer figure it out. They either didn't actually call them or someone had an off day. Like I said, I can't tell them how to do their job, but the obvious thing to me is that they don't normally just ping. So you take any one of the dozens of normal ones (customer shuttle, loaners, new/used inventory) on the lot and just compare it to yours. It's like the last page of People magazine. Lots of things there in those two seemingly identical pictures. But something is different. Find what's different (fuel trim, MAP sensor, compression, fuel pressure, etc), find out what's making it different, and bam problem solved no more pinging.

Again, I'm sorry your dealer has failed you. I've said many a time that not all dealers are the same. Some are better than others. Have you tried another dealer or are you just completely done with the vehicle no matter what at this point?

- - - Updated - - -

Wait. I wasn't going to take a stab at this over the Internet but I have a long shot here. When you say pinging at 70mph, is it a constant noise that goes on forever until you let off the gas? Or is a quick almost buzz that maybe lasts anywhere from a split second to maybe as long as 3 seconds? If it's the latter, does it also do it at around 25-30mph?

Ah, I do know of you then. The MDX and NSX owners certainly appreciate your help and insight on the forums! I'm not registered on the MDX forums - no sense posting as my issues are ones already discussed at length (except the DI engine issue), and I'm not that much of an enthusiast to spend time discussing it in general.

The nearest dealer I go to is a good 45 minute drive one way. The other is 1.5 hours unfortunately. It may be worth a shot to try and take it to the other dealer. If I could get the engine issue fixed I would consider selling it myself instead of losing a few grand trading it in to a dealer. I can't sell it in good conscience now to some individual with these powertrain issues, even if it is still under warranty.

No, it's not the VCM! That thing is so distinct engaging and disengaging that I know when it is active. It's hard for me to believe the system complexity is worth the fuel economy benefit the short time it is in operation.

Thanks for your help,

Dave

I installed the little harness that disables the VCM on my daughters 09 V6 Accord coupe. Easy to do and no more having to constantly feel that poor excuse for useful technology. The car is more responsive and seems to get better gas mileage apparently. I don't know about the later VCM tech, but the type used in that car caused oil consumption problems, something to do with the rings getting excessive carbon deposits. The auto V6s had VCM but the 6sp. manuals didn't. The 6 spds also had no oil consumption problems.

No, it's not the VCM! That thing is so distinct engaging and disengaging that I know when it is active. It's hard for me to believe the system complexity is worth the fuel economy benefit the short time it is in operation

Ah ok you know where I was going then. Like I said, it's was a longshot. We've seen a buzz noise (that can sound like a pretty bad engine ping) that comes from the left side of the engine when VCM engages. It's the plastic trim that surrounds the inside of the fender and front bulkhead making contact with the metal fender/frame. It seems to only be on 2014 MDXs. And it's not the TSB where the clips get replaced on the front bulkhead trim piece. This noise isn't related.

Ah ok you know where I was going then. Like I said, it's was a longshot. We've seen a buzz noise (that can sound like a pretty bad engine ping) that comes from the left side of the engine when VCM engages. It's the plastic trim that surrounds the inside of the fender and front bulkhead making contact with the metal fender/frame. It seems to only be on 2014 MDXs. And it's not the TSB where the clips get replaced on the front bulkhead trim piece. This noise isn't related.

I diagnosed that trim piece and secured it with a few zip ties a long time ago! Like I said before, I like a quiet ride when taking long trips. Thanks for the tip though.

- - - Updated - - -

I installed the little harness that disables the VCM on my daughters 09 V6 Accord coupe. Easy to do and no more having to constantly feel that poor excuse for useful technology. The car is more responsive and seems to get better gas mileage apparently. I don't know about the later VCM tech, but the type used in that car caused oil consumption problems, something to do with the rings getting excessive carbon deposits. The auto V6s had VCM but the 6sp. manuals didn't. The 6 spds also had no oil consumption problems.

Thanks King. I didn't know that was available.

I've added two bottles of Techron to each past few tanks of gas and have proceeded in redlining the engine under a good load each time I drive it. After that was done I was thinking about just removing a fuse for the VCM (if it existed), as I can see how that could cause carbon deposits in the idle cylinders. I haven't gotten much further than that, and it was wishful thinking hoping there was a simple fuse for the VCM system.

Last edited:
So Mac Attack, just goggle VCMuzzler 2. They are about $100.00. Might just be what the doctor ordered! I never liked the slight hesitation in my daughters coupe from day one when the VCM did it's thing. Certainly didn't like the oil consumption as time went on. Now she has a new short block and no more VCM. Works better than when it was new.:joyous:

So Mac Attack, just goggle VCMuzzler 2. They are about $100.00. Might just be what the doctor ordered! I never liked the slight hesitation in my daughters coupe from day one when the VCM did it's thing. Certainly didn't like the oil consumption as time went on. Now she has a new short block and no more VCM. Works better than when it was new.:joyous:

Thanks again.

That reminds me of another thing I asked my Acura Service Writer - If anyone else had noticed oil consumption. He said they hadn't, but then again, who checks their engine oil level these days on new Acura's? While the rings were seating with the special engine break-in oil, I noticed the engine consumed about a quart of oil over the mandatory 5k mile break-in period... much more than any other new car I've owned in the past.

Ugh on these issues. I was considering changing to a MDX when my RLX Sport Hybrid lease expires in a little over a year. Maybe since the coming 2017 MDX is just a facelift model, it'll be more solid?

our 16 is very nice...just wish the engine had more hp and torque

I was happy with the torque on the MDX SH-AWD I had as a loaner not too long ago. Then again, I have a CTS-V for when I need more power/torque in my daily driving.

My previous experience with non-first-year Acuras and Hondas has been pretty good. I'm 50-50 on the two first-year Acuras I've owned.

Ugh on these issues. I was considering changing to a MDX when my RLX Sport Hybrid lease expires in a little over a year. Maybe since the coming 2017 MDX is just a facelift model, it'll be more solid?

The 2017 is already here. While it's mostly a facelift, there are a few new additions. Surround view camera, 2nd row captains chairs, interior in Advance trim looks much more upscale, passive keyless locking...oh and there's the matter of the Hybrid model. If you have the RLX Hybrid, then you pretty much already know the powertrain setup already. MDX Hybrid available probably in December.

Good Lord. I never expected so many issues on Honda/Acura products. Sadly, I gave up on the MDX after the 1st gen. Been buying GMC Yukon's and now a Sierra instead. They are a better choice/run great for my neck of the woods. We don't have an Acura dealer and GMC truck lines/SUV are probably more reliable than a MDX.;-)

I have given up on Acura this summer and bought a 2015 Hyundai Equus with a 430 hp 5 liter V8 which can take regular unleaded fuel. The luxury, fit, finish, and options continue to remind me I made the right choice. I still have my 2010 mdx though. But Acura isn't advancing.....
I think it is the rear reclining seats, the cooled and heated rear seats, the 360 view cameras, the vehicle lifting system, power rear shades all around, lane assist, adaptive cruise, and power that rivals my ctsc lightweight nsx. Shall I go on? I am sure I missed about a dozen options.;-)

Last edited:
The Equus is a FANTASTIC value to get used/second hand as the depreciation for this car is HORRIBLE.

I have given up on Acura this summer and bought a 2015 Hyundai Equus with a 430 hp 5 liter V8 which can take regular unleaded fuel. The luxury, fit, finish, and options continue to remind me I made the right choice. I still have my 2010 mdx though. But Acura isn't advancing.....
I think it is the rear reclining seats, the cooled and heated rear seats, the 360 view cameras, the vehicle lifting system, power rear shades all around, lane assist, adaptive cruise, and power that rivals my ctsc lightweight nsx. Shall I go on? I am sure I missed about a dozen options.;-)

The Equus is a FANTASTIC value to get used/second hand as the depreciation for this car is HORRIBLE.

I figured as much. I didn't know much about them prior to purchase. Which is why I leased it.:)

Back