• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

$20K Acura discount through March 2020

1. There won’t be a targa version
2. There won’t be a type R version
3. I don’t believe there will be a 2021 version

I like the car. But it’s not an NSX.

There is no emotional attachment to this car unlike the original. They tried to be innovative and succeeded but did not make a car the nsx built in fan base wanted to buy at least at the original price point. This “quiet” program of $20k incentives preceded by other similar enticements is an admission they can’t sell for the price the car actually deserves.

Is it worth $150k? Sure. Can I buy a $150k car? Sure. Would I ever buy this car for that? No.

And there are a lot more people like me than there are buyers. It’s a shame because it’s the right car for the wrong price and for the wrong market. I would buy the GT3 NSX long before I would buy the street version.

They will probably retool the factory and make something else but it certainly shouldn’t be a TLX with an “NSX” paint job.

1. There won’t be a targa version
2. There won’t be a type R version
3. I don’t believe there will be a 2021 version

1. Allegedly the car was designed as a Targa from the onset.
2. You're probably right but with Acura product planning, a new trim (Type R, A Spec or Type S) is normally rolled out as the current model is long in the tooth to kind of drum up some excitement.
3. I'd imagine they have wayyy to much in R and D to kill this car this early on. Even the old NSX lost money on every single unit but production continued for years.

Again, just my personal thoughts. It's a shame too as the car itself is simply amazing. I look forward to ownership and many years of driving ahead.

1. Allegedly the car was designed as a Targa from the onset.
2. You're probably right but with Acura product planning, a new trim (Type R, A Spec or Type S) is normally rolled out as the current model is long in the tooth to kind of drum up some excitement.
3. I'd imagine they have wayyy to much in R and D to kill this car this early on. Even the old NSX lost money on every single unit but production continued for years.

Again, just my personal thoughts. It's a shame too as the car itself is simply amazing. I look forward to ownership and many years of driving ahead.

I don't believe that is true re: targa design, at least not structurally. However you could be right, there were an awful lot of design years.

Acura will definitely have some sort of mid-cycle update, and could easily get away with calling a Type S, <insert here> Edition, or some other relatively vague, non-descript moniker, in order to dress it up, obsolesce earlier model years and help move a few more units.

Type R, on the other hand, would have to be a substantially hardened vehicle, otherwise they would risk devaluing the marque and likely face severe ridicule from fans as well as from actual journalists.

Absolutely right, no way they are going to kill this car yet. They sold the 1st gen in very, very limited numbers for a very, very long time. Ending production on the NSX would be a huge loss of face for Honda. Sure, conceivably there could be a large recession, or company bankruptcy that forces them to reorganize but barring something catastrophic, we'll see this car for another four or five years easily.

Sure, conceivably there could be a large recession, or company bankruptcy that forces them to reorganize but barring something catastrophic, we'll see this car for another four or five years easily.

I wish I could believe this but what do they do about the price tag? It will never again sell without the discounts/incentives so what happens going forward? It's not going to be any cheaper to make it and it will never sell for the full price again so do they admit the price is "wrong" and just lower the MSRP outright without the constant incentives? And if they do how much of a hit do existing models take in depreciation when the prices for new are $20-30k lower MSRP?

I wish I could believe this but what do they do about the price tag? It will never again sell without the discounts/incentives so what happens going forward? It's not going to be any cheaper to make it and it will never sell for the full price again so do they admit the price is "wrong" and just lower the MSRP outright without the constant incentives? And if they do how much of a hit do existing models take in depreciation when the prices for new are $20-30k lower MSRP?

And that is why I leased the POS instead of buying it. I knew, just like a lot of other people, that the car was going to be a sales flop. I know people paying more than I am for a Range Rover which was $50k less. There is no way Acura is going to recover from this poor image of the car not selling. I laugh when I read people will buy it if it was targa or Type-R. If the car is so good you’d figure they would buy it because of its history and their love for the brand. I can talk shit about the car because I have one in my garage. I’m sure there will be one jerk to say otherwise.

I laughed when I saw all the media outlets picking up on the $20k incentive. Its been around since the 19s came out.

On a few other forums that I'm on, people are test driving the car, and giving it excellent reviews. They're saying that if it had a prancing horse on it, it'd be selling for much more money. Between the delay in bringing it out, the way the dealers got crazy (just like in 1991), they've taken a car, that could've been a success, and they made it a disaster. Ford can have people lined up to pay 1/2 million dollars for a Ford, with a 6 cylinder engine, but Acura/Honda can't sell a high tech car for less than half that amount. Place the blame where it belongs, the entire network, manufacturer, stealerships, and service.

...Place the blame where it belongs, the entire network, manufacturer, stealerships, and service.

You left one thing out; Me. I got calls from people telling me to stop bashing the car because I was causing the car to depreciate and have poor sales.

You left one thing out; Me. I got calls from people telling me to stop bashing the car because I was causing the car to depreciate and have poor sales.

DocL,you know I love you, but you give yourself far too much credit!!! When you first got the car, your were a raving fan, and probably helped more sales get done, then your poor experience with the brand has turned you into a one man anti-Acura dynamo. You have reason to be pissed, and I challenge anyone, that has been treated as badly as you, to say they'd act any different!!!Personally, the performance of the car, impresses me, and if I wanted a "toy" with flappy paddles, I might consider it, but I don't care for the "beak", never did! The future value of the car, isn't going to be determined by your experience with the car, and your very public opinions, but by the "market". Coming down off my pulpit now!

I was trying to be sarcastic. I know I had nothing to do with the poor sales and depreciation. It is unbelievable that I got called and was told to shut up by other owners. One’s who paid MSRP.

I was trying to be sarcastic. I know I had nothing to do with the poor sales and depreciation. It is unbelievable that I got called and was told to shut up by other owners. One’s who paid MSRP.
Anyone who paid MSRP for this car probably has no teeth and never saw a dentist.:biggrin:

Gen1 NSX sales were worse than this and just as heavily criticized. NA2 models are rare not because of limited production but because no one wanted to shell out the big $$ for a car they didn't feel was worth it.

This is nothing new folks.

The NC1 *is* innovative and it shaping the future of auto making. Once again Acura paved the way for Ferrari as the rumor mill is full of a twin turbo V6 hybrid ferrari to replace the outgoing 488.

Personally, I feel that the problem is with the rest of Acura's line up and a failure to fully disengage from Honda. Where is the luxury SUV or the luxury sedan to match the NSX? Acura dealerships are a world apart from Mercedes & Audi mostly because of the price point of their vehicles. Acura has built itself as a "premium" brand rather than a "luxury" brand and that is going to take a toll when you roll out a close to $200,000 car.

All that said, I am still glad they built the car and I think they can be proud of what they built. Is it flawless? no. Neither was the original NSX.

Going hybrid/electric has to do with the EU mandates. Acura did nothing to shape the future.

https://europe.autonews.com/automak...ds-comply-stricter-european-emissions-targets

I would say you are welcome to your obviously biased opinion, but I also obviously disagree. Electric power is the future of speed and the Acura NSX is the first and most successful production application of its use in a sports car. The BMW i8 was an alternative platform that automakers could have followed, but it was clearly more of an eco-car and less of a use of electric power to enhance performance and driving ability. Hence Ferrari following in Acura's footsteps rather than BMWs.

I laugh when I read people will buy it if it was targa or Type-R. If the car is so good you’d figure they would buy it because of its history and their love for the brand.

You can laugh at me then, if there is no targa version I won't buy one. If there is a targa version, I will buy one. This is why I spent the extra to buy a '00 NSX over much cheaper '91-94's, it's a weekend fair-weather cruiser for me. Hard top = no fair weather enjoyment.

With that said, if Honda pushed some of this hybrid torque-fill tech down to a rebooted S2000 -- fixing the main complaint of the S2000, low-end torque -- I'd jump on one of those too.

You can laugh at me then, if there is no targa version I won't buy one. If there is a targa version, I will buy one. This is why I spent the extra to buy a '00 NSX over much cheaper '91-94's, it's a weekend fair-weather cruiser for me. Hard top = no fair weather enjoyment.

With that said, if Honda pushed some of this hybrid torque-fill tech down to a rebooted S2000 -- fixing the main complaint of the S2000, low-end torque -- I'd jump on one of those too.

I'm with you 100%, that's what holding me back too. Well, the Vette can do it for less money, no excuse for Honda to be honest. I am giving up on Honda at this point. :mad::frown:

Well, the Vette can do it for less money, no excuse for Honda to be honest. I am giving up on Honda at this point. :mad::frown:

I'm not sure where you'd store the top in the car, above the trunk compartment same as in the old delSol? I can't see putting it above the engine again as with the '95+ cars.

The company I'm actually giving up on right now is Toyota. I have 3 in my garage -- '99 Tacoma, '15 GS350, '18 4Runner -- and they're making great reliable cars, but to outsource the Supra to BMW is a mortal sin in my eyes. I'm sure the performance will be great -- it's a BMW -- but I don't want a car that costs BMW money in 10 years to keep running. There are plenty of existing BMW options for that.

For Honda I'm holding out hope of a rebooted S2000 (with hybrid electrics driving the front) and then a targa NSX. They may never do it, in which case I'm subjected to a life of enjoying a 20 year old NSX :) but if I had to pick which company to wait for something wonderful from, I'd much rather wait on Honda than Toyota.

.or you could wait till you can't drive anymore.....:tongue:......I'm sure the folks driving around in R8/911 verts are not dreaming of nc1 verts....

On a side note, anyone excited for the new yellow color for 2020?

Back