• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

3.6L ScienceofSpeed Engine (NA Stroker)

Some short idle and rev vids w/ an iPhone...

that 2nd racetrack vid is an absolute ripper, so much disposable power and great action esp. when the leader lost it ! ... do we know much about that NSX e.g. where it got it's ITBs from?

curious - how does this happen ?

also which trumpet length have you chosen? - looks like the shortest

Yep, the shortest -well, I think anyway. To answer your other question, the itbs must have enough volume that the intake part of the combustion cycle from one cylinder shouldn't significantly diminish the plenum's internal pressure which would "rob" flow to other cylinders.

Any more than that and I'll have to stay at a holiday inn to give you an answer.

that 2nd racetrack vid is an absolute ripper, so much disposable power and great action esp. when the leader lost it ! ... do we know much about that NSX e.g. where it got it's ITBs from?

I think your mentioning the Revolution NSX. If so, I think there's 2 vids of the same race w/ one that follows the NSX.

sorry it was a related vid that came up after yours. here's the youtube link:

titled "acura nsx ITB ( in car ) vs nissan skyline gt-r R34 R33 turbo"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Z7ZlAQs5o

a very entertaining clip - as one comments says " that's one bad ass NSX!"

(BTW how do I insert videos like the posts above, so they play "in situ" ?)

Last edited:
sorry it was a related vid that came up after yours. here's the youtube link:

titled "acura nsx ITB ( in car ) vs nissan skyline gt-r R34 R33 turbo"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Z7ZlAQs5o

a very entertaining clip - as one comments says " that's one bad ass NSX!"

(BTW how do I insert videos like the posts above, so they play "in situ" ?)
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P1Z7ZlAQs5o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

that video was straight THUGGERY!!! I love it

onya RYU, can u pls explain how u put the vid direct in your post ??

look closely I reckon there's oil on the track that caused the white Honda then the NSX to get very loose !

Last edited:
onya RYU, can u pls explain how u put the vid direct in your post ??

look closely I reckon there's oil on the track that caused the white Honda then the NSX to get very loose !

on the youtube page click share > embed > copy that text & paste it into a message... :smile:

Thanks for the kind words, Dave. It has been a long time coming but the end result is what I've wanted. I wish another NSXer was local so they could objectively comment on the car so it's not just me gushing on about it.
Well before you had the ITBs installed and I got to ride in it, it was pretty ridiculous. :)

Stroker Club thread here. I haven't done the exact mileage but I think I have at least 2k on my engine with a few AX days thrown in there.

It's likely that my engine will be torn down in a few years to install billet main caps, etc. I'll be sure to relay wear patterns and thoughts if this thread is still alive.

Really though, the thought that a stroker engine is any more wear inducing than a stock engine with FI added is a bit paranoid. Mentioning the fractional increase in piston speed, or rod ratio, with a stroker w/o mentioning the increased combustion pressure, increased main cap pressure, increased piston and ring land forces heat issues, etc of an FI'd engine is misleading. This isn't commenting on the added complexity of an FI system.

Does adding more hp and torque to an engine produce more wear and tear? Inherently, the answer is yes - irrespective of the means to achieve it. Does either stroker or FI guarantee certain failure or a rebuild in 1000 miles? No, not it if the components are chosen with a modicum of wisdom and the engine built correctly.

FWIW, the next project is a 3.5 turbo stroker but not for many moons to come. :)

So you've only put 2k miles on your engine in 4+ years?

Has SMYLDOC torn apart his engine since he daily drives his?

Been driving the NSX for the last couple of weeks (absolutely gorgeous weather) and it's like falling in love all over again. Open up the windows and let loose the gorgeous orchestra of big engine goodness. Couple of interesting points:

- drove about 800 miles and not a smidgeon of oil loss.
- walked a supercharged Firechicken after a car show (i know i know, that was stupid).
- I can actually get a bit of wheel spin on VTEC crossover.
- I need to start working out again - the recaro is getting tight.
- throttle response is un-friggin-believable.
- best sounding exhaust
- neighborhood gallardo and turbo s owners want to race. told them to take it to hallett.
- beating the heck out of it and stop and go city traffic produced a high temp of 202. Both 80ish degree days.
- took off the NSX-R wing and sold it.
- the NSX is still a head turner.

What an awesomely fun and fulfilling car. :swoon:

Last edited:
Are all the parts you used still available? Could this technically be replicated? I know 3.8 is off the table because the crank is out of production.

Good question. IIRC, the 3.6 and 3.8 have the same stroke (88mm) but differ on the bore (93 vs. 95mm). So I'm supposing they use the same crank.

I'd talk to Chris to see if he could source something for you. Or as an alternative, get the 3.5 and bump up the compression.

95mm bore on a C30? What kind of sleeves??

Been driving the NSX for the last couple of weeks (absolutely gorgeous weather) and it's like falling in love all over again. Open up the windows and let loose the gorgeous orchestra of big engine goodness. Couple of interesting points:

- drove about 800 miles and not a smidgeon of oil loss.
- walked a supercharged Firechicken after a car show (i know i know, that was stupid).
- I can actually get a bit of wheel spin on VTEC crossover.
- I need to start working out again - the recaro is getting tight.
- throttle response is un-friggin-believable.
- best sounding exhaust
- neighborhood gallardo and turbo s owners want to race. told them to take it to hallett.
- beating the heck out of it and stop and go city traffic produced a high temp of 202. Both 80ish degree days.
- took off the NSX-R wing and sold it.
- the NSX is still a head turner.

What an awesomely fun and fulfilling car. :swoon:

Yay!!! I've always hated the look of that damn thing.

LOL…I go back and forth. Ultimately, I decided that the NSX just looked cleaner and less trendy without the NSX-R wing.

Loved it at first but my tastes have evolved since, I guess.

Hard to believe it has been 35 years since I raced there. Hope they've resurfaced it since then!

Sounds like your car pegs the fun meter. I don't doubt it a bit!

Hard to believe it has been 35 years since I raced there. Hope they've resurfaced it since then!

Sounds like your car pegs the fun meter. I don't doubt it a bit!

Hahaha…in fact, Hallett just started resurfacing the entire track yesterday. 95-97% compaction percentage (whatever that means).

10014844_693183760742169_5864904808678139916_o.jpg

You know, that's a good question. I've only driven one CTSC'd NSX and it was a bit slower…feeling anyway. But, my car is at 2740lbs so there's a significant weight difference from a stock car and

IIRC, Chris did a comparison dyno sheet so I'm sure there's something there on the SOS site.

I just want to have SOS build me a 3.2 or 3.3L that can get 360 crank hp using their ITB kit. There are a couple shops here in japan that build 350hp and 360hp crank Nsx engine that are 3.2L running high comp and cams with ITB and they scream. They have the best response I've ever experienced in a Nsx. With as light as my car is I can't justify bolting a turbo or supercharger on and decreasing my engine life when I can have the engine built and add power and have awesome response. I don't think response can be replaced for a little extra hp. Anyways what did you guys pay for your builds and what size did you go with what power results?

I just want to have SOS build me a 3.2 or 3.3L that can get 360 crank hp using their ITB kit. There are a couple shops here in japan that build 350hp and 360hp crank Nsx engine that are 3.2L running high comp and cams with ITB and they scream. They have the best response I've ever experienced in a Nsx. With as light as my car is I can't justify bolting a turbo or supercharger on and decreasing my engine life when I can have the engine built and add power and have awesome response. I don't think response can be replaced for a little extra hp. Anyways what did you guys pay for your builds and what size did you go with what power results?

Well, engine response - both on and off throttle are certainly strong characteristics of the ITB setup. Pricing for the 3.6L stroker that I bought is around 15k and the ITBs are 5k. hp has ranged from 355 to 377 on mine on different dynos.

Back