• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

300zx Tt

Well, I am saving all I can for my NSX but if for some reason I cant afford it, which is a possiblity, I was thinking about a 300ZX Twin Turbo. I was wondering if anybody knows anything about these cars cause I have no clue about it. I figured I could ask you guys about it and get an honest opinion. I am looking at one more car as well, but I dont feel like getting any flak right now so I'll keep that one to myself! Thanks all!

Nick

300zxtt are great performer stock, but the car is Heavy, and everytime you see a NSX drives by, You wish you saved your money and got the NSX. If this doesn't apply to you, then get what ever makes you happy, and don't worry about what other's think about it. NSX is a timeless classic, All others are just used cars.

Personally, I think the 300ZXTT is one of the best looking cars of the 1990's. Even today, a clean example still looks good to my eyes.

The car performs quite well, esp. when you consider how heavy it is. It rides well and other than some heat problems under the hood and T-top seal issues, I think they're generally very reliable.

Finding one that hasn't been significantly modified might be your most daunting challenge. Unless, of course, that's what you want.

Stay safe.

My friend has a 93 TT and in a nutshell it is a pretty good car. Very fast but he has had overheating problems from time to time.

I had a 90 300ZXTT and they are great cars!! Suck like all get out to work on, but a very solid performing car. Try an get a 94 or 95, as they were the last years of ODBI, and would have the new/updated features. I miss the boost something bad, but there is no comparing that car with an NSX.

I would get another one if I never had to open the hood to work on it. Suck, sucks and just plain sucked to work on!!!!! Here are a few pics to help you decided. http://imageevent.com/jamcru/black91nsx

Go to www.twinturbo.net for all your Z needs. They are a very knowlegable group of users.

Da Hapa said:
Personally, I think the 300ZXTT is one of the best looking cars of the 1990's. Even today, a clean example still looks good to my eyes.

The car performs quite well, esp. when you consider how heavy it is. It rides well and other than some heat problems under the hood and T-top seal issues, I think they're generally very reliable.

Finding one that hasn't been significantly modified might be your most daunting challenge. Unless, of course, that's what you want.

Stay safe.
Everything Da Hapa said. Stick with the NSX plan. By spending the money on the Z, you drive that NSX dream further away. It is much better to have a big delayed gratification than a very small one. Again, the chance of finding a nice example of the Z is close to nil.
Steve

Do a search - There's a few topics on this. I've owned both and liked both. In a straight line you can get the 300 TT to go alot faster than the NSX for under 2k. But it is heavy and handles nowhere near as well. In my opinion the top of the line 300TT with all the options is a more comfortable car to drive "around town". I also have hard suspension on my NSX tho and its lowered.

My local group of track junkies have tended to gravitate towards M3 and 300ZX ownership. And each group swears by each. The 300ZX seemed very capable on track. Though no where near the M3 (e36). Maybe they didn't disable the HICAS system?

SCC has got a good writeup on a 300 they've been working on for some time. Lots of very trick parts.

I considered one as a beater car but after working on one and trying to navigate 300ZX online forums, I decided it was definately not the car for me. They look great and handle quite well.

I currently own both.
The Z is really easy to get a whole lot of power our of without the huge $$$ involved in increasing the power output in an NSX. A chip & a boost controller and you can really turn up the wick to get 400hp on the stock turbo's for not much money.
They are heavy however & the brakes suck.
Oh - One thing in common with the NSX - they both share the same crappy Bose amps that blow up.
Lots of knowledge available on this forum - http://www.300zxforum.com
Jim Wolf has lots of parts available - Stillen does too but generally a lot more expensive.

19dcavscout said:
Well, I am saving all I can for my NSX but if for some reason I cant afford it, which is a possiblity, I was thinking about a 300ZX Twin Turbo. I was wondering if anybody knows anything about these cars cause I have no clue about it. I figured I could ask you guys about it and get an honest opinion. I am looking at one more car as well, but I dont feel like getting any flak right now so I'll keep that one to myself! Thanks all!

My first car was 300zx tt. Great car, unfortunately I did not get to enjoy much. Only had it for 4 months before total the car. Young driver mistake back in the good days.

There are better alternatives IMHO.

For a bit more you might be able to get a Supra TT automatic around 18~22k range. 6spd TT cost near the same or more than 91~96 NSX now days.

Another good cheaper alternative is MKIV Supra non turbo 5spd, 12k~15k (best kept secret, it has by far the toughest non turbo internal on any 6 cylinder Japanese car, with unlimited potential), perfect for cheap single turbo conversion.

There are many people making 400~700rwhp on stock non turbo Supra internal with just bolt on single turbo kit, extremely reliable motor. Here is one prime example, 100% stock non-turbo internal running low 10s. The car also have 100+k miles:

http://www.speedtoys.com/~daveh/93na-t/10.17lo.wmv

This is a fairly old video. He ran 9.41 in his new set up still on bone stock internal.

well, for a car that overheats a lot and is a pain to work on and open the hood, i have definately had one of the worst cars ever to work on, my thunderbird SC. for those of you who dont know about the car, it is one of the most difficult cars to work on and most mechanics wont even touch it. But I love it and I havbe learned a lot especially since it is my first performance car. I love the thing I really do. It will take a C5 corvette and 60 mph and above but it is kinda sluggish in the quarter. anyways so basiclly what i am saying is that a difficult car doesnt scare me cause i am used to it and it cant be much worse than my tbird (famous last words!). Thanks for all the help I really want a NSX but I am gonna need a car almost as soon as i get home and I dont think I am gonna have the cash and really dont want to take out a loan to pay off the part I dont have. To tell you the truth it will be hard to get a loan cause I am fairly young and I dont have much credit at all. Thanks again and I will keep looking.

I had a '90 TT in the mid 90s and loved it. HKS exhaust & intake & VPC (vein pressure controller, I think) made that car pretty darn fast! I'd go for it as a cheaper alternative, but nothing comes close to a clean, used NSX in "Dollars per Wow"

The two cars are completely different animals. If it helps you make a decision, I prefer driving my 240rwhp NSX to the 500+rwhp Z. Maybe it's just that I've had the Z for 9 years?

guys,

college kid, looking to spend like 9,000, cuz my POS just passsed out.

what about the N/T 300Z's. I am not tracking the car, and I'm used to a very slow car so the 222HP will seem WOW to me. So please don't say get the TT.

im gonna do additional research, but have any of you have experience with these N/T as daily drivers?? just looking to educate myself :) thanks

Nice cars, but are very heavy. Some nice wheels and some lowering, you have nice cruiser! Or you could go nuts..

wOTk1MDE0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

:biggrin:

The NAs are good cars. 222 HP is not too bad really, but the car is very heavy. If you ever want more power you will be stuck. Short of headers and a muffler, there is nothing to add to that car for more power besides NOS.

Like most car nuts, you think you will be happy, but 3 months later you get the itch for more power and it will be too late for you. Anothe thing to add. As a college student, the 300ZX is a real bitch to work on. Repairs can be very very expensive on account of the lack of room under the hood and added labor time.

I loved my turbo, but will never own another one on account of the poor engine bay layout. I never wanted one in the first place actually, but the prices compared to other cars (RX-7 & Supra) at the time made it a steal. The car has serious potential for sure!!!! Good luck!

rickysals said:
guys,

college kid, looking to spend like 9,000, cuz my POS just passsed out.

what about the N/T 300Z's. I am not tracking the car, and I'm used to a very slow car so the 222HP will seem WOW to me. So please don't say get the TT.

im gonna do additional research, but have any of you have experience with these N/T as daily drivers?? just looking to educate myself :) thanks

right on, thanks,

I won't be looking to modify (less maybe wheels if the stockers are ugly) my next car, that's saved for the following car, hopefully an NSX.

I'm also thinking 96-99 Audi A4 5-speed, Mitsu Eclipse Spyder, etc... basically any manual under 9,000 I can own, I'm doing alot of time reading this and that trying to figure out which car makes the most sense right now.

The 300ZX is a sexy car though :D

Joel said:
I currently own both the NSX and 300ZX.

While I love my Z, there really is no comparison. None.

This is true. Completely different feels to each car.

It all depends what you want out of a car, the labour is not easy unless you are mechanically inclined, here is my 300zx

300zxresise1.jpg

300zxresise2.jpg

Border 850CC fuel system
Apollo FMIC
Greddy td05 16G turbo kit (External wastegate)
2.5" exhaust having dual exhaust tips installed in a few days.
Blitz SBC-ID boost controller,power meter and r-fit
New calipers/Rotors
JWT dual pop with apexi filters
JWT ecu programmed for dual intake/850cc injectors
RPS streetmax clutch
Kaminari Rear bumper/Sideskirts
Brand new factory 3rdbrakelight, Radio Bezel
New Rear engine seal/Cam cover seals/Misc hoses/Hicas hose
EGR system removed/Stock Recirculatory Valves
Tial 50MM blow off valves
Nismo oil cooler
Greddy radiator overflow tank

Ncturnal said:
Nice car, but heavy like everyone has said. Have you considered the 2nd gen MR2? :)

I'm 6'5"... would I fit? those are nice too, but if I don't know if i fit, I've never had a chance to try one out

They are pretty roomy inside. I know a guy that is like 6'8" that has one. There used to be a pic of him standing beside his car but I can't find it. I'm sure I can find one of the MR2 guys in Ohio if you wanted to check one out.

Back