• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

300ZX vs. RX-7

SilverStone05: Unless you know how to work on a rotary engine, forget about finding a mechanic. Even the Mazda dealerships weren't trained sufficiently on how to work on an RX-7.

BATMAN: You are correct here.

SilverStone05: Whoever said the Z is a pig forgot to mention that the RX-7 is so light that it feels unstable at high speeds and that the doors feel and sound like tin cans.

BATMAN: You are correct to a point. The stock FD at speeds is scary since the steering response can make u dart across 2 lanes on the freeway if u sneeze. Lower the FD and add fatter sway bars gives it a more controlled feeling.

SilverStone05: The stereo and overall handling of the RX-7 are superior to the 300ZX in stock form. I like the way the RX-7 looks better and I like its rarity.

BATMAN:You are correct

:SilverStone05: P.S. Most of the engine failures in the RX-7 are caused by the apex seals blowing. This is simply because the stock engine isn't made for much higher than stock power levels.

BATMAN: You are correct on the apex seals.

However, it's not the HP, but the detonation that kills these engines. Years ago I spoke with ABel at the Seven Stock events and he had a 800~rwhp 13B FD engine. He said that it runs 40psi. I asked if that would detonate. He said that it's running alchohol, which runs cleaner and cooler. No kaboom outta and engine that is 1.3 liters cranking more HP/liter than Honda's F1 engines.

:tongue:

batman44.jpg

burnout3.jpg

Dang! makes my mouth water!

Crap now I'm looking for used Z's on autotrader and ebay again. You guys suck..LOL

That red one was my old one. If you can find it, let me know! 95TT with a brand new interior (suede trim and seat covers in stock color) Wow it was pretty.

It did 410 rwhp 427 rwtq on stock motor/turbos and had 38K on it when I sold it. :eek:

Here are a list of the mods.:

-Blitz SUS Intake
-AshSpec Zemulator- (engine management ecu emulator)
-Top Speed Short Throw Shifter
-NGK 6B-11B plugs
-NISMO 740cc Injectors
-HKS EVC V
-HKS Super Sequential Blow off Valves
-HKS Intercoolers
-HKS Hiper Exhaust
-Greg Dupree Divorced Downpipes
-Greg Dupree Test Pipes
-RPS Sport/Street Clutch
-RPS Lightened Flywheel
-Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley
-1 Piece Steel Z1 MotorSports Driveshaft

The interior/exterior
-SteamyZ @ ZtoyZ.net leather seats
-J-Spec totally cleared corners w/silver vision bulbs
-Greg Dupree Subframe Spacers
-Stillen/Enkei GTV's
-Michelin Pilot Sport Rubber

I had a 90 twin turbo for 2 years. Added a whole bunch of mods and was putting down 425rwhp. Those cars are heavy, but with all that power on tap it felt feather light. I sure miss the torque at 3,000 when the boost came on hard. If I could drop that motor in my NSX I would be very, very happy. Very solid car from the motor all the way to the axles.

Who ever said the car was easy to work on was confused. They are terrible to work on. You cannot see the floor when you open the hood. Drop a tool and it is gone. Hell, can't even see the turbos unless you are underneath with a flashlight. Parts are dirt cheap compared to the NSX also.

DSCN6350.JPG

dscn7091.jpg

Looks good! I found the car easy to work on because I had very knowledgable friends. We did all of the mods on the car ourselves. But yes you are right, the engine bay is cramped. So cramped you couldn't see the aftermarket parts so everyone assumed my Z was stock save for the exhaust. Made for some interesting encounters.

What an AMAZING color, was that a stock color? I used to be a hardcore Z guy and don't think I've ever seen that color. I still think this is one of the best looking cars ever made and seeing it again just reminds me how confused I am over what Nissan did with the 350Z both in looks and performance.

Dude Rob, congrats on the coming baby!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I don't have a strong opinion on the FD vs 300Z except that I think the RX7 looks better... though I'm not really a big fan of either. Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you'll make the right choice. :wink:

I forgot the technical name, but it's the grey color [obviously]. It's pretty rare and much more common on n/a's than TT's. Several of the most famous z32's in existence are this color. This is one of the most awe-inspiring n/a z32's on the planet to me, and it's still quite fast.

u96c195-img600x480-1168317397pa1.jpg

u96c195-img600x480-1168317407pa2.jpg

u96c195-img600x480-1168317420pa3.jpg

This last pic is also a n/a, I have a picture of my old 91 black twin turbo that looks almost just like this one.
zz.jpg

The RX-7 is noticeably lighter, maybe quicker. My 1990 300ZX TT Stage III (353 rear wheel horsepower) feels like a GT/highway cruiser next to the NSX.

305,000 miles (256,000 on first engine)...I'd say reliability is not an issue.

That red one was my old one. If you can find it, let me know! 95TT with a brand new interior (suede trim and seat covers in stock color) Wow it was pretty.

It did 410 rwhp 427 rwtq on stock motor/turbos and had 38K on it when I sold it. :eek:

Here are a list of the mods.:

-Blitz SUS Intake
-AshSpec Zemulator- (engine management ecu emulator)
-Top Speed Short Throw Shifter
-NGK 6B-11B plugs
-NISMO 740cc Injectors
-HKS EVC V
-HKS Super Sequential Blow off Valves
-HKS Intercoolers
-HKS Hiper Exhaust
-Greg Dupree Divorced Downpipes
-Greg Dupree Test Pipes
-RPS Sport/Street Clutch
-RPS Lightened Flywheel
-Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley
-1 Piece Steel Z1 MotorSports Driveshaft

The interior/exterior
-SteamyZ @ ZtoyZ.net leather seats
-J-Spec totally cleared corners w/silver vision bulbs
-Greg Dupree Subframe Spacers
-Stillen/Enkei GTV's
-Michelin Pilot Sport Rubber

Very nice. If I get another one I'm going to leave it stock ( except for Jspec rear lights and a B&B 2.5 exhaust with quad tips ) and enjoy it that way. It will have to be black even though I don't want another black car and it will have to be a 94+

The RX-7 is noticeably lighter, maybe quicker. My 1990 300ZX TT Stage III (353 rear wheel horsepower) feels like a GT/highway cruiser next to the NSX.

305,000 miles (256,000 on first engine)...I'd say reliability is not an issue.

I agree, the z32 feels very stable and well suited to the expressway. However, I think the steering and turn in is still pretty sharp and even though it weighs 3400lbs [turbo], it carries its weight well.

I agree, the z32 feels very stable and well suited to the expressway. However, I think the steering and turn in is still pretty sharp and even though it weighs 3400lbs [turbo], it carries its weight well.

Exactly...with XM radio, my ZX is a great highway runner (although a little noisy by modern standards). The NSX is crisper, lighter, and more fun to turn/corner!

Dude Rob, congrats on the coming baby!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I don't have a strong opinion on the FD vs 300Z except that I think the RX7 looks better... though I'm not really a big fan of either. Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you'll make the right choice. :wink:

Thanks man, I'm stoked.

Don't really want to sell the -X... it's pretty much perfect right now. But dumping the payment will allow me to do more for the kid... I kind of knew I'd sell the X at this time, but had to have it while I waited, a decision I'll never regret!!!!

I think I've made up my mind on the 300ZX... probably won't act until after the baby though (Nov.)

Z's are awesome, I have a 1971 240Z right now (the one in my avatar) and it is a fun car indeed. The only 300ZX I've driven is the N/A and even though the power was lack-luster the handling, like many have said, was definitely not lacking. All-around fun cars and the dash shape is kinda similar to the NSX.

Both cars have a nice shape, but I like the Z better. The FD is nice w/ the LS1 swap (I rode in one - pretty impressive).

With a kid on the way, you won't time for fooling around w/ motor builds and swaps, so go w/ the Z.

Thanks man, I'm stoked.

Don't really want to sell the -X... it's pretty much perfect right now. But dumping the payment will allow me to do more for the kid... I kind of knew I'd sell the X at this time, but had to have it while I waited, a decision I'll never regret!!!!

I think I've made up my mind on the 300ZX... probably won't act until after the baby though (Nov.)
http://www.twinturbo.net/

Comparison

I own both and can contribute a little to the thread.

1994 - 300ZXTT - Love it. Owned since 1996. As someone said earlier, just keep the normal maintenance items under control. I've had nothing but solid reliability out of mine, even nicely modified. To answer a statement you had earlier, get the TT. No question. Be mindful of buying a modified one past "stage 3" (intake/exhaust/chip); have it checked out thoroughly. Value for performance and reliability is excellent. It hasn't won/earned C&D 10Best lists and countless awards for nuttin'.

1993 - RX7TT - Love/hate it. Owned for about 5 years now. Beautiful styling. Feels like a track car for the street, light and nimble. Almost never see another one on the road. Handles great. HOWEVER, I always seem to be tinkering on it. Seems like something always needs to be tweaked or fixed. You definitely know your mechanic's first name and their favorite color (LOL). Not inexpensive to MAINTAIN.

So, if you want a great performer, perinnial classic that is reliable - and a great daily driver - get the 300ZX (TT strongly preferred). If you want beauty, rarity, and trackability - get the RX7 (just make sure you are ready for greater upkeep costs).

VisibleCare-RX7-1.jpg

300ZX-August2006007-small.jpg

Hope my post has added some value for you.
Eggman
aka Chris

Re: Comparison

S2000
and NSX too...?

I have the S2000 in addition to the 300ZXTT and RX7TT, but not the NSX yet. I looked for one, almost got it (it was that beautiful violet color), but ultimately passed on it. Here's a pic of the S2000 though.

IMG_1054small.jpg

How much is lost with an NA 300ZX compared to the TT? Is the TT a MUST HAVE for Z's? I like the idea of 2+2 with the kid on the way, but the allure of the TT is strong.

What do you think?

I have a '93 N/A 2+2.....
absolutely love it. With 222hp and 198 lb-ft, it isn't the fastest car around, but it is also a long way from being underpowered :wink: . The gearing is outstanding, and really helps the car get up and go. But I think by far it's greatest feature (performance-wise) is it's handling. The Z isn't far behind an NSX in that aspect, believe it or not....and is very easy to drive and control at high speeds. All that despite it's heavy weight. The TT obviously is the model to have, but it definitely isn't a MUST HAVE when it comes to Z's...

I will say this much though, if you're used to driving an NSX, then the N/A Z will probably seem slow to you. But for a $4k used car, I guarantee you won't find a better car at that price range.

The TT obviously is the model to have, but it definitely isn't a MUST HAVE when it comes to Z's...

True. Unless you are going to modify, then it's the TT without question. If not, the NA is a fine choice. (Of course, if you really wanted to, you could do the TT swap in the 2+2 and have the room and the power....)

Chris.

True. Unless you are going to modify, then it's the TT without question. If not, the NA is a fine choice. (Of course, if you really wanted to, you could do the TT swap in the 2+2 and have the room and the power....)

Chris.

The swap is simply not a practical idea. I saw this question come up dozens of times on the zcar forums and mail lists in the late 90s. It's cheaper just to buy a TT than to try to upgrade an NA to a TT (and that's excluding other advantages the TT has like HICAS and adjustable suspension).

I don't think there is really any choice but to go TT for someone who is a driving enthusiast (especially coming from an NSX).

The swap is simply not a practical idea. I saw this question come up dozens of times on the zcar forums and mail lists in the late 90s.

I wouldn't agree with this statement. More common that you would think since the 1990s.

It's cheaper just to buy a TT than to try to upgrade an NA to a TT (and that's excluding other advantages the TT has like HICAS and adjustable suspension).

Yes, I would start with the TT too if I had the choice. Some folks already have the NA and don't want to go through the sell-then-purchase-a-seperate-care option, or prefer to do it bit by bit.

I don't think there is really any choice but to go TT for someone who is a driving enthusiast (especially coming from an NSX).

Agreed. However, he was referring specifically about needing/liking the 2+2 aspect...of which there was no option in the USA. If that is what he wants, a conversion is his choice du jour. [or import in a JSPEC 2+2TT...but I don't think that's such a good idea IMHO].

Regards,
Chris.

The swap is simply not a practical idea. I saw this question come up dozens of times on the zcar forums and mail lists in the late 90s. It's cheaper just to buy a TT than to try to upgrade an NA to a TT (and that's excluding other advantages the TT has like HICAS and adjustable suspension).

Now that JDM front clips are available...this swap is quite common.

Back