• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

30k Mile Service?

Hey Guys! I have about 27k miles on my 96 nsx and am the 2nd owner. I have owned the car for about 6 months now and only done oil changes. The car drives great and still feels like new. The only major job done by the previous owner was a timing belt change in 2006. Other than that, nothing has been done on the car.

In anticipation of the upcoming major service, are there any reccommendations that you experts can provide me with so that I can draw up a service specification and give it to the technician who will be servicing the car. btw, I will be going to Acura Las Vegas for the service.. any comments?

Regards, Tom

1996 NSX-T

Check the owner's book to see about what's required at the 30K. Also, check the maintenance that needs to be done by age regardless of miles. For example, you said the timing belt was replaced. I think that's at six years regardless of miles. Well, there are other things that are included in that list like water pump, etc. Just do all that's required for 30K and those items at various time frames. KEEP THOSE RECORDS!!

Most good tech will tell you 30k miles is no more than change of oil, air filter, and tranny fluid.

If you have a old car, get all the belts check out.

Hey Guys! I have about 27k miles on my 96 nsx and am the 2nd owner. I have owned the car for about 6 months now and only done oil changes. The car drives great and still feels like new. The only major job done by the previous owner was a timing belt change in 2006. Other than that, nothing has been done on the car.

In anticipation of the upcoming major service, are there any reccommendations that you experts can provide me with so that I can draw up a service specification and give it to the technician who will be servicing the car. btw, I will be going to Acura Las Vegas for the service.. any comments?

Regards, Tom

1996 NSX-T

I would recommend going to Findley Acura in Henderson instead. I have not really been impressed with my experiences at Acura of Las Vegas. And I think we even get a group discount at Findley for all NSX Club of LV members for service work.

The only guy that's touched my NSX is Adrian Ramos, who was previously the NSX tech for Acura of Las Vegas. He also works with the Factor X guys. The guy definitely knows his way around the NSX. If the dealerships don't work out for you, and you prefer a private tech, let me know and I'd be happy to put you in contact with Adrian...

Levi

Hi Levi! Thanks for the advice and i would really appreciate that.. my car does have an extended OEM warranty which I purchased when i got the car and it would be accepted either at the dealer or a licensed performance shop.. so if this dude is licensed then i would be happy to go there.. Tom

Hi Levi! Thanks for the advice and i would really appreciate that.. my car does have an extended OEM warranty which I purchased when i got the car and it would be accepted either at the dealer or a licensed performance shop.. so if this dude is licensed then i would be happy to go there.. Tom

Hi Tom,

I know Adrian has all his the credentials a tech can get, but I don't believe he covers warranty work since he doesn't have an actual shop. I could be wrong, so I left him a message and I'll let you know what he says when I hear back from him...

Levi

Edit* Hi Tom, just spoke to Adrian, and he said he can do some warranty work, depending on the warranty company. So I'll PM you his information so you can talk to him...

Last edited:
The only guy that's touched my NSX is Adrian Ramos, who was previously the NSX tech for Acura of Las Vegas. He also works with the Factor X guys. The guy definitely knows his way around the NSX. If the dealerships don't work out for you, and you prefer a private tech, let me know and I'd be happy to put you in contact with Adrian...

Levi

+1

Used Adrian several times and he does do better work than the dealerships. Use him if you can.

support your fellow nsx mechanic.

at the dealers, the techs are trying to make book.
at an independent nsx shop, they take a personal stake in your car and will get your car done right. :smile:

Most good tech will tell you 30k miles is no more than change of oil, air filter, and tranny fluid.
Not true. The major service, which is specified for every 30K miles or 2 years, whichever comes first (which means it should have been done five times previously on a '96 NSX), includes all filters (not just oil filter and air filter, but also fuel filters), all fluids (not just oil and transmission fluid, but also brake fluid and coolant - coolant starts out at 45K/75K/105K but the interval gets "reset" when it gets changed as part of the timing belt replacement, assuming they changed the water pump at the same time and flushed the coolant at that time), and a valve adjustment, as well as numerous inspections.

I would suggest going through all the items in the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual with your service advisor when you drop the car off. Anything that has not been done in the mileage OR time interval specified there should be done.

Vancehu's suggestion of replacing the cooling system hoses (definitely the main ones, and maybe all of them) is a good one. They're now twelve years old, and this is good preventive maintenance.

Back