• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

350Z Vs NSX

Stunner said:
I'm actually really enjoying this. Most of it really is valid basis from two different biased sides. Typically this doesn't mix well but interesting facts from both sides become addressed. There are probably more people than you think that are in the situation of deciding whether to puchase a older NSX vs. an equally priced new Z.

I would have to agree with your thoughts.

There is no doubt the NSX is a superior car to the 350Z. This has been discussed at great lengths. Also, people who are buying higher dollar cars such as new NSXs or Porsches do not even consider the 350Z, which is quite a few rungs down the ladder.

However, if a guy's budget is only $30k for a sport car, the comparison between an early NSX and 350Z is a serious reality.

CerberusM5 said:
I would have to agree with your thoughts.

There is no doubt the NSX is a superior car to the 350Z. This has been discussed at great lengths. Also, people who are buying higher dollar cars such as new NSXs or Porsches do not even consider the 350Z, which is quite a few rungs down the ladder.

However, if a guy's budget is only $30k for a sport car, the comparison between an early NSX and 350Z is a serious reality.

Hey what do you mean a few rungs down the ladder :biggrin: :biggrin:

Just kidding guys!!

When I first purchased my Z I saw it as a poor mans Porsche. Nissan clearly stole a lot of the design from them. I didn't even explore the NSX b/c of the age issue (91-93 being equal in price) and that the newer models were simply out of range.

So u have it correct there Sir.

Those that own 91s -93s. What issue have u had to address with ur NSXs?

I have been watching a 91 with low 20ks miles on her. the maintenance has been down but I worry that the car simply may not have been driven enough to keep things lubricated etc. What expenses should I be ready for if I were to take the leap?

And for those reading this for the comparison, the Z is a fun car to drive. The tail breaks loose predictably, the low end torque is great, and she is a ball on the track or just driving like a psycho through the back roads.

The things I would change would be the redline. She red lines too low and the shift points are at the wrong time. One of the reasons the 1/4 mile is slow is b/c of the shift point. I have to shift right at the 1/4 mile mark, hurting ur time). If it had a higher red line or even one less gear the numbers would be better.

Front to rear balance is pretty good. I think it is something like 49 51. Not bad and u feel it on the track. I am a big guy 5"11 220 and was about 30lbs heavier (cock strong) when I purchased the Z and I fit no problem. I cannot fit in the S2000, bmw z, or the toy spider. I have very broad shoulders.

As for accidents. The Z is notorious for boding well in accidents. Many have flipped their Zs (hard to do) and walked away. I T-boned a chick that pulled out from a stop sign and the car took the hit well. I had no injuries and the frame didn't buckle in any way.

So, in many ways I think there is significant value in the Z. The biggest down fall is the mustang syndrome. U see them EVERYWHERE! If I had no modded my Z, I would have sold it by now just b/c I would have looked just like everyone else.

black350zwidebody said:

Just kidding guys!!

When I first purchased my Z I saw it as a poor mans Porsche. Nissan clearly stole a lot of the design from them. I didn't even explore the NSX b/c of the age issue (91-93 being equal in price) and that the newer models were simply out of range.

I have been watching a 91 with low 20ks miles on her. the maintenance has been down but I worry that the car simply may not have been driven enough to keep things lubricated etc. What expenses should I be ready for if I were to take the leap?

And for those reading this for the comparison, the Z is a fun car to drive. The tail breaks loose predictably, the low end torque is great, and she is a ball on the track or just driving like a psycho through the back roads.

The things I would change would be the redline. She red lines too low and the shift points are at the wrong time. One of the reasons the 1/4 mile is slow is b/c of the shift point. I have to shift right at the 1/4 mile mark, hurting ur time). If it had a higher red line or even one less gear the numbers would be better.

Front to rear balance is pretty good. I think it is something like 49 51. Not bad and u feel it on the track. I am a big guy 5"11 220 and was about 30lbs heavier (cock strong) when I purchased the Z and I fit no problem. I cannot fit in the S2000, bmw z, or the toy spider. I have very broad shoulders.

As for accidents. The Z is notorious for boding well in accidents. Many have flipped their Zs (hard to do) and walked away. I T-boned a chick that pulled out from a stop sign and the car took the hit well. I had no injuries and the frame didn't buckle in any way.

So, in many ways I think there is significant value in the Z. The biggest down fall is the mustang syndrome. U see them EVERYWHERE! If I had no modded my Z, I would have sold it by now just b/c I would have looked just like everyone else.

Maybe I exaggerated just a little. I should have said a couple of rungs versus quite a few. :)

I have to agree that the 350Z is an excellent sports car bargain. In fact, if I had a $30k budget for a sports car; I would possibly opt for a new 350Z versus a 91-93 NSX. I like new cars and the warrantees that come with them. Also, aftermarket support is plentiful and affordable versus the limited availability of performance parts for the NSX. But, I can't say it enough, the NSX is soooooo rare.

By the way, nice 350Z!

Ths is why I picked the NSX:

The less NSX out on the street, the more unique it is (to me).

=================================================

The NSX is that it is the only car from a major manufacturer that is still built entirely by hand.

All NSX are produced in 1 factory in Tochigi, Japan that was specifically built for the production of NSX's

The assembly facility was envisioned as one in which the motivation for producing a quality automotive product comes from the people building it rather than being infused from above by management.

The 200 member assembly staff was hand-selected from thousands of applicants.
* To be considered for the team, applicants had to have at least
10 years of Honda manufacturing experience and must have
distinguished themselves as having skills above the average
technician-craftsmanship and attention to detail is of primary
importance.

This plant has no automated conveyor line. Rather, each car is mounted
on a dolly and pushed by hand from one workstation to the next.
* The car is not passed on to the next area until the team is satisfied
that their procedures have achieved the tolerances and goals
required assureing themselves that the work is done to blueprint
specifications. Each assembly station, in effect, also functions
as an inspection station.

Also for each NSX there is only one person that is in charge of building the entire engine from start to finish by hand.

At the end of the assembly process each NSX is driven on a 500-meter indoor track to check for functioning of major controls.

* Then each car is driven for three laps on the Tochigi Proving
Grounds' high-banked 2 1/2 mile oval. During the test session,
the car is evaluated for braking performance, excessive wind
noise and high-speed stability.

POWERTRAIN

VTEC System (Unique Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control)
* First application in U.S.
* Uses two different cam profiles to improve low-end torque and
high-end power
* Boosts engine performance to more than 90 hp per liter

Variable Volume Induction System
* Improves power and torque by optimizing air induction at all rpm

Direct Ignition (Eliminates distributor)
* Each plug has its own ignition coil, similar to a racing engine
* Delivers stable high voltage to spark plug

Titanium Connecting Rods
* World's first use in a production car
* Stronger than steel, lightweight -- saves 190 grams
* Reduces reciprocating mass for high-rpm engine operation
* Reducing reciprocating mass allows:
* Increased engine speed, reduced crankshaft stress,
and/or a lighter crankshaft, and generation of less noise,
vibration, and sideways thrust on pistons.
* In the NSX, titanium is said to give a 700 rpm increase in engine
speed over steel connecting rods, a 30 per cent reduction in weight
and enhanced fatigue resistance.

BODY / CHASSIS

World's first mass produced all-aluminum body 3 different kinds of "exotic" (to the auto industry) aluminum:
1. The cosmetic outer panels are made of a 6083 T4. The temper
comes from the heat dry paint process cooling slowly.
2. The frame is a 5182, and the side sill (rocker) is an extruded 6061 T6.
3. The suspension pieces are forged 6061 T6.

The dies used to put the shape in the hood, fenders and doors have to be polished every few stampings just to keep them clean so the aluminum does not gall, grab or stick to the die.

* Aluminum Unit-Body Construction
* Unit body weighs only 462 lbs - 40% less than steel
* Incorporates unique high-strength extruded-aluminum side sills
* Unique heat treatment ensures surface hardness
* Highly corrosion resistant
* High torsional and bending rigidity
* 60% of all welds in the NSX are done by hand.
* Ectrolyses, bolts used in the NSX to connect different metals or alloys all have a special Dacron coating.

* All-Aluminum Suspension-4-wheel double-wishbone design
* Forged-aluminum suspension arms for strength, low unsprung weight
* Front suspension utilizes unique compliance pivot (limits toe-change in a corner or when riding over road-bumps) for ideal suspension geometry and ride quality 44 lbs lighter than steel

* Four-Channel Anti-Lock Braking; System (ABS) - First production use in U.S.

Engel07 said:

The NSX is that it is the only car from a major manufacturer that is still built entirely by hand.

All NSX are produced in 1 factory in Tochigi, Japan that was specifically built for the production of NSX's

The assembly facility was envisioned as one in which the motivation for producing a quality automotive product comes from the people building it rather than being infused from above by management.

importance.

Also for each NSX there is only one person that is in charge of building the entire engine from start to finish by hand.

At the end of the assembly process each NSX is driven on a 500-meter indoor track to check for functioning of major controls.

POWERTRAIN

high-end power

Titanium Connecting Rods

BODY / CHASSIS

World's first mass produced all-aluminum body 3 different kinds of "exotic" (to the auto industry) aluminum:

The dies used to put the shape in the hood, fenders and doors have to be polished every few stampings just to keep them clean so the aluminum does not gall, grab or stick to the die.

* Ectrolyses, bolts used in the NSX to connect different metals or alloys all have a special Dacron coating.

* Front suspension utilizes unique compliance pivot (limits toe-change in a corner or when riding over road-bumps) for ideal suspension geometry and ride quality 44 lbs lighter than steel

Amen :biggrin:

Let me put something else into perspective about the NSX in general. The simple fact that the NSX is so infamous, exotic and well engineered that somebody with $35,000 in their pocket even considers a 15 year old model over that of a new model Z or STi is something to be recognized. Not a knock on the Z cars at all (God knows I love em) but you will be hard pressed to find somebody willing to spend similar money on a Z in 15 years.

qirex said:
Yeah, the NSX may be slow by todays standards.

Slow by todays standards huh........it's right on par with the new 911 (non-turbo obviously) in numbers. So is the new 911 also slow ?
OR are you (like so many others) just looking at the HP/TQ numbers for the nsx and that is your basis for your statement ? :confused:

black350zwidebody said:

Wow, your posts are difficult to read.

Are you SURE you're not 16 years old?

I can somewhat relate the the newer vs older car for the same dough thought process.

Much like many of the those who have purchased Zs over early years NSXs because they are newer, I purchased my NSX instead of a F355 because IT was newer, and slightly less expensive ;D

For an interesting twist, lets hear what those arguing that early year NSXs are still miles ahead of a Z have to say about how early year F355s relate to newer NSXs.

black350zwidebody said:
Now guys I wouldn't go getting that darn cocky. The 350z needs some definite tweaking to help her a long but she is 1/3 the cost of the NSX. You could buy a Z 30k drop $10k into her and have an NSX eater all day long. and still have $40K+ left over.

133153.jpg

I love the NSX and have loved it since 91 butI think it is hard to compare the two. The 350z is a great car and for ~ $26-30k u can not beat it.

220820.jpg
:wink:

black350zwidebody,

Just curious, what are those things hanging on the walls of your garage??

nsxtasy said:
Wow, your posts are difficult to read.

Are you SURE you're not 16 years old?

Then don't read them. J/k :tongue:

I try to respond to these things while on CCs, etc. Something has to give when trying to do three things at once. Didn't know I was getting graded.

CerberusM5 -- those are clear bras. that pic was taken at the shop that installed my bra.

Engel07 said:

importance.

POWERTRAIN

high-end power

Titanium Connecting Rods

BODY / CHASSIS

Engel -- I missed this yesterday. Great info.

black350zwidebody said:
It is good to see that there are a few decent folks here. It is a shame that some folks are so sensitive. I have no idea how one could get so upset over my choice of words but hey to each his own.
Same could be said of you too. But on this thread, it does seem like some bashed you without cause. :confused: Some people (not on this post) really piss me off too, but you'll learn to ignore those people and see the better good coming out of the discussion.

black350zwidebody said:
I, as well as many others, have an issue with buying a car that is 14 yrs old and saying it is better or the same as a 2005.
This is true if you take the statement at face value. But you need to understand what the NSX has to offer. The production trivia notes help to make this point.

black350zwidebody said:
A track Z can be had for around $30k these days. Brand new, warranty, and no miles. U can customize her to ur driving style (suspension) and needs relatively cheaply. It comes with a very nice braking sys (Brembo) and nice light weight rays. One can easily only $7-8 into it and get a very good track performer that would likely hold its own with the NSX and other purer race cars. Maintenance cost are lower and reliability is equal if not better due to the Zs 7 yr warranty.
If you are going for a track car - ignore the warranty. No dealer will honor it.

black350zwidebody said:
Most of the folks I speak with have a problem paying that much for a car that is 8-14yrs old.
Most folks? Who cares what most folks do? What do you think? It's your track car. Personally I think an early model NSX is a great value for what you get.

black350zwidebody said:
I am currently contemplating getting second Z (used Track model w/ less that 25k miles still under warranty, etc.) for $20k and dropping about 10k into a TT, full race suspension, etc.

My alternative would be to buy a NSX for around (91-95 with a ton of miles on her) $30-35k drop about 4-5k into her and be finished.
4-5K? Not likely. I would say more like 10-20K for turbo or supercharger, suspension, etc. Not a good value if you look at your earlier statement.

black350zwidebody said:
When finished I will have equal track performers (trust me they will be equal guys. A TT Z may actually be faster than the 91-95 NSXs given the numbers quoted above by NSX owners) but one will have cost me 10k more, have no warranty, be 10-14 yrs old and cost more to maintain and mod.
Again, ignore the warranty aspect. Go for the $$$ to performance ratio.

black350zwidebody said:
I could care less about the novelty or culture, etc. I want a performer.
Seems like you are answering your own questions. I agree that a Z can be upgraded and maintained much cheaper than an NSX. So why the debate? If you really want an inexpensive performer - NSX is not the answer.

black350zwidebody said:
I actually look at price vs value vs need.
With that said. Looks like the Z is the car for you. I'm not offended. If I were in your situation I may do the same thing.

If you're deciding ONLY based on performance for the money, the WRX STi and the Evolution 8 are better than the 350Z in the same price class.

Then again, if you're deciding ONLY based on performance for the money, a used car is better than the same car new. And a track car that someone else has already built and tracked is probably going to be a better value than a street car.

nsxtasy said:
If you're deciding ONLY based on performance for the money, the WRX STi and the Evolution 8 are better than the 350Z in the same price class.

I agree the Evo and Sti would be a better choice based on performance for the money. Also, the Evo 8 is extremely cheap to modify. For less than $20k in modifications, you can convert an Evo into a supercar killer. However, my problem with the Evo is finding window tint dark enough, so I am not seen driving it.

CerberusM5 said:
However, my problem with the Evo is finding window tint dark enough, so I am not seen driving it.

good one. LOL. I just think those WRX and EVO are not my taste. That's just me.

CerberusM5 said:
However, my problem with the Evo is finding window tint dark enough, so I am not seen driving it.

Best quote ever.

I guess I should clarify. I need to actually like the car! I made the comparisons btwn the Z and the NSX and began commenting on this thread b/c those r the 2 cars I am looking to buy for my track car. So when comparing these two, one of my concerns is value vs performance.

Not really big on 4 door sport cars. But if I were focused solely on money I would likely just get a used cobra or vette.

Casper91 -- "4-5K? Not likely. I would say more like 10-20K for turbo or supercharger, suspension, etc. Not a good value if you look at your earlier statement."

Do I really need to SC the NSX for her to be a good track performer. I figured the NSX would be pretty much an out of the box performer. I only planned on buying wheels and maybe some suspension mods to start.

lol. you dont need to do anything to make it a performer. but you see with me this stuff is like a crack addiction. You know I said the same thing "its fine the way it is" but then you start shopping and you start buying more to make it go faster and perform better.

I noticed that in your value vs. performance is a major issue. if that is the case why not get a z06? i have seen used ones in the upper teens. Yes you will loose uniqueness but hey i guess that is the sacrifice you have to make.

As far as up keep on ther car..... I havent had any real problems I wasnt expecting from a 92. I did have a snap ring failure but hey that gave me an excuse to build it better. did it cost more than a 350z?... well im assuming so. but honestly if you cant afford the maitnence you shouldn't buy the car. I'd love to have a 360 challenge but I couldn't afford all the service you have to do to it.

but then again I do like to work on my own car alot so the whole warranty thing didn't bother me too much but hey that is your cup of tea not mine.

I wasn't trying to be offensive. just making general statements :redface:

CerberusM5 said:

damn thats hateful

cwood1388 said:
damn thats hateful

Chris,

Sometimes the truth hurts. :)

Don't get me wrong, when it comes to cheap performance cars, the Evo is one of the best. I just hate the image of the Evo. If I was 18, it would probably be fine; but I'm not.

black350zwidebody said:

Just kidding guys!!

Big black you echo many oy sentiments in your excellent post.

I always viewed my Z as 75% a 996 for 40% the cost. I STILL miss your spot on description of its brawny tail-out attitude. Excellent drift car. Try as i might to get an NSX sliding it was tough - and not very clear what would happen next.

Yup, maybe i'll one day figure out how to best drift my TT, but until then, the Z will await the call.

Hehe mustang syndrome. I have to admit that i absolutely hate seeing silver Zs all over - especially when the owners dont wave back or seem to really have no clue re: the Z DNA oh well.

Either way, no bones about it...the Z STILL looks incredible especially viewed from the side. I'll never forget the ad pic w/ the silver Z in the hanger...I knew i had to have one...

black350zwidebody said:
Engel -- I missed this yesterday. Great info.

Back when i was a SERIOUS honda man (97 prelude), I never understood how despite all this aluminum etc, a porsche 911 of the same era still weighed around the same amount...while having back seats.

wagyshag said:
Slow by todays standards huh........it's right on par with the new 911 (non-turbo obviously) in numbers. So is the new 911 also slow ?
OR are you (like so many others) just looking at the HP/TQ numbers for the nsx and that is your basis for your statement ? :confused:

Lets turn off the reality distortion field now...

R&T recently tested a 997S and came up with...3.9S 0-60. It caused havoc over on the rennlist.

Do you realize that a Boxster S is only 10HP shy of an NSX, yet weighs less as well...we all know that german horses are stronger also.

Who knows what porsche is up to, but most of the pcar folks accept that the new non-turbo 911 is .2-.3 sec slower to 60 than the turbo.

its not only 0-60 and 1/4 mile...

NSX is not supposed to be about straightline speed.

I hate when blind faith obscures reality.

Back