• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

$35K, Considering 3 cars - NSX is one

Hello all,

My name is Gabe and I have been browsing your forum for about a month straight now gathering as much info as possible about they beautiful NSX. :cool: I am in the process of getting ready to sell my current car I have had since high school, my 1992 Dodge Stealth RT/TT. The car has been a blast and building and driving a 500hp beast has been fun but I think my tastes are changing....

Anyway, I am thinking my budget is at max around $35k and I am seriously considering the following:

- NSX
I absolutely love the styling of these cars the most and would definetly want a targa, although I doubt I could afford a clean one fore $35k. It's a little down on power and there is no way I could afford an $8k supercharger! Kinda sucks cause 5300' elevation kills N/A performance. :frown:

- C5 Z06
Definetly powerful, awesome performance. However they are everywhere and I am afraid I will get into the whole radical modding thing again, at least the NSX and M3 mods are so expensive I can't afford to mod! lol

- E46 BMW M3
Probably the most practical, perhaps a happy medium between the two above examples. However I was browsing the M3 forums and it looks like they say the NSX is faster than the more powerful M3??

In all, I am looking for a reliable, fun, and sporty car that I can get in and enjoy everyday if I wanted to. It really is a toss up between all three vehicles and I know it is going to come down to me driving all three and deciding from there, but I'd like to get some of your opinions (as biased as they may be :wink: ) as I am sure a lot of you have at least driven or even owned these cars before.

I know there is a cool NSX owner here in ABQ that I am sure is on here as well. He has given me some great advice and I hope to meet him and perhaps go for a ride in his NSX when I get closer to purchase time. Just looking to gather as much info as possible.

Thanks for the help,
Gabe

This is in left field but if your looking for a daily driver I like the Evolution X.

Out of your choices I would try and find a super clean NSX but remember (timing belt change 6yrs and some have snap ring problem 91-92 or 93). These cars hold value better :smile:

Gabe- Have you driven all three of the cars that you are considering?

If your budget is light or restricted, I would steer away from the BMW for sure. The maintenance costs will kill you. With the Vette and the NSX(or any other high performance car), you will need to set aside a fund to pay for misc. repairs. The NSX will be the most trouble free of the three, but you you will go through rear tires faster than a normal car with the NSX. The same goes for the Z06.
Of the three, the NSX will hold it's value the best.

It's possible that you could find a decent 1995 Targa for $35k.

Maybe create a personal list for yourself to determine what factors are most important to you in a car. Make a ratings system and tally the numbers.

In any case, I would drive all three cars and report back.

Best of luck,

gtr, the EVO is a nice car but I've done the turbo import AWD thing already. :wink: These cars sure do hold thier value, I am very impressed!

Paul, Are the maintenance costs of an M3 really that much more than the NSX? The only thing that blew me away was the cost of a clutch on the NSX. I plan on doing as much of the work as possible on whatever I get cause I'm a broke college kid and can't afford labor costs haha!

Thanks for the tip on making a list, I'll definetly do that (goes and grabs paper and pen :biggrin: )

Reading your post, it seems like you're looking for a car with power. NSX would be a bad choice for that, unless you can slap-on a supercharger which is not that fast anyway. (I've never driven one, maybe I shouldn't say that but you can only add so much HP). I think you'll be more happy with a corvette or an M3.. Get the NSX if you plan on whooping a corvette on a road race, not drag. Not saying corvette doesn't have good handling and the M3, I like both of them, but I don't like driving them, they feel too big. I guess that boils down to Personal preference.. haha

I love EVos and STI also, those are great cars with a lot of power and handling.

niM

You don't have to replace the clutch in a very, very long time - it's "everlasting" - so the clutch-cost isn't bad at all actually.

If you have a family and it is going to be your every day car I would say go for the M3, they are very nice cars the ride is excellent they handle well and have plenty of power. M3is a Good all around car and the most practical.

If this is a 2ND car and you are looking to have fun get the NSX good reliable car handling is unbelievable. There easy to drive, and I personally feel has the best looks of the three. Also the most rare of the three and, Best resale value. You can find an early NSX with average mileage for 35K take your time and look for a clean one. Beware of the snap-ring issue with the 91-92 years not all were effected take a look at the FAQ it will tell you how to tell if the car is within range.

If you are looking to beat just about everything stoplight to stoplight the ZO6 is a beast were talking 60–70 mph power on slides. They handle well as long as you stay off the gas. My father has one and the thing is scary fast. But the handling is weird it feels like it is the steering wheel is disconnected from the wheels gives no feed back at all difficult to drive fast. If you got the Balls it will get you there in a hurry. You will be have to save your pennies as you will be looking at about 40k for the ZO6 unless you want a high mileage car.

... I plan on doing as much of the work as possible on whatever I get cause I'm a broke college kid and can't afford labor costs haha!

Therein lies the answer to your question. If funds are tight I'd say to wait until you can afford the ownership costs associated with the NSX. Spending $35k is a lot of cash if you don't have the income to afford the maintanence. I'm not implying that the NSX is problematic, but a 10-15yr old car will have more issues than a 2-5yr old car.

Good luck.

niM, I realize I am going to take a hit on power no matter which one I choose. But I can live with that because I usually drive my Talon TSi daily which is no beast. :tongue: It is going to be hard to leave a car that traps 120mph in the 1/4 but all three are a step up IMO.

|Adeel, that's good to know. I guess the price isn't bad considering its a twin disc setup.

DRIFTER, I agree with you on the M3 but I don't have a family yet and don't plan to for at least another 5 years. :eek: The Z06 is one bad mofo and they are actually pretty cheap nowadays, right around $30k-35k depending on year. I don't street race anymore so I guess the straight line performance isn't as important as it used to be. Thanks for the info on the NSX.

Therein lies the answer to your question. If funds are tight I'd say to wait until you can afford the ownership costs associated with the NSX. Spending $35k is a lot of cash if you don't have the income to afford the maintanence. I'm not implying that the NSX is problematic, but a 10-15yr old car will have more issues than a 2-5yr old car.

Good luck.

True DocL. I guess I am just bitter because I have invested quite a bit in repairs on my Stealth. As long as I don't have to be replacing any motors or trannies on an NSX right away, the other maintenance costs aren't bad as I am in for just parts alone. I am just tired of spending weekend after weekend under the hood to enjoy a car I drive once a week. If you have owned a 3S or DSM, you know what I am referring to. :frown:

The M3 will give you problems. My friend has an 03 with 65k miles. SMG went out a few months after his factory warranty went out. You'll basically end up spending a lot on maintenance....... Also this car isn't that fast. My 1993 NSX (lighweight) eats NA M3's for lunch, handles better (in my opinion), and looks better (everybody's opinion, probably even M3 owners, LOL). This car isn't worth it, it's a 3 series coupe.....

The C5 vette while fast, is a piece of crap. Maintenance for this car isn't so cheap from what i've heard. The interior looks like it's from a chevy lumina, and the whole feaking car shakes and rattles. Not nearly as "tight" as the NSX in build quality. No freaking way. Plus everybody has one. This car isn't very unique at all.

I was thinking more and more about how Vance was telling me the NSX is a world class car. I agree with this statement more and more every day. Not only does the NSX perform on par with cars that come out at $100k+ today, it still looks better, is cheaper to maintain, and holds its value better. Some may argue that car _____X may handle a little better or go a little faster, but when I think you add everything up the NSX is a better "overall" car. The cost of mods is also about the same for all these cars. C5 vette stuff isn't any cheaper (M3 stuff sure as hell isn't), so there's no advantage there.....

Plus consider this...... If you buy a C5 vette or an M3 for 35k, they will go down in value and will be harder to sell and more expensive to maintain with higher miles. A clean 91-94 can be had for under $30k and probably won't go down much in value........

True DocL. I guess I am just bitter because I have invested quite a bit in repairs on my Stealth. As long as I don't have to be replacing any motors or trannies on an NSX right away, the other maintenance costs aren't bad as I am in for just parts alone. I am just tired of spending weekend after weekend under the hood to enjoy a car I drive once a week. If you have owned a 3S or DSM, you know what I am referring to. :frown:

Let me guess the Bering in the Transmission that dodge mysteriously dose not make?
I had a Stealth RT/TT= Throw-away Transmission
Long nightmare short I ended up getting it from a company in Canada. Still have the old one use it as a paperweight on my desk:biggrin:

Luckily I didn't have to track the hard to find tranny parts...I managed to snap the output shaft though. That along with replacing a crankwalked motor 1 year after I bought it. :mad: My excuse was always, "forced upgrade." :wink:

Diablo360 , awesome...exactly what I was looking for.

G Force...we are all owners of the NSX because the North American varieties..ALL SUCK!!! I ahve owned a Vette - and they rattle and have insane problems that arise! The cost of fixing them is stunt...and the problems that arise with them are even more stunt!! Everything seems to go on those pieces of sh*t around 50,000 miles - and I am talking about calipers, lifters and cam shaft!!! Good God, if you do not have to have a targa, buy an early 90's NSx in great shape. My car has tons of miles on it...and it still goes like Jack the Bear and turns peopl'es heads. Go with the smart choice....NSX!

Dam

The interior looks like it's from a chevy lumina, and the whole feaking car shakes and rattles.

Not True the ZO6 has a lot of options that the NSX dose not have, ie heads up display, independent climate control, good sound system, and the ZO6 dose not rattle or shake maybe the C5 targa but not the ZO6 sorry you are wrong on that! Fit and finish is on par with the NSX.

Plus everybody has one. This car isn't very unique at all.

This is true every time you turn around. Vetts are everywhere

I still feel the NSX is a far better car then the others, but I feel that you should make your own decision not go by what other people tell you to buy. Drive all three and then do some research and make an educated decision on what you truly want. I have driven a lot of different cars and still prefer the NSX to a lot of them.

... If you have owned a 3S or DSM, you know what I am referring to. :frown:

I was bitten by the DSM monkey once when I owned a 3000GT Spyder VR-4. All I wanted to do was mod the heck out the thing and it caused multiple problems. :wink:

Luckily I didn't have to track the hard to find tranny parts...I managed to snap the output shaft though. That along with replacing a crankwalked motor 1 year after I bought it. :mad: My excuse was always, "forced upgrade." :wink:

Diablo360 , awesome...exactly what I was looking for.

Did you post this on other forums for the other cars or are you looking for us to validate what you really want? :wink:

DocL, they sure are fun when they run right! I can't belive I am selling mine, I finally worked out all the bugs...but I think I got burnt out in the process.

AutoVation, hahaha. I actually only posted this on the local forum here, hence where NSX owner sn: Chuckie gave me some great info. The locals voted for the Z06 ahead in the poll, but they are a younger crowd (I'm not stereotyping, I am still young myself at 22) and most are into drag racing and what not. :wink:

I truly value your opinions. I have pretty much scratched the M3 off the list considering its complexity and the cost of dealer repairs. I have 3 other vehicles so I might as well get the funnest one!

...Plus consider this...... If you buy a C5 vette or an M3 for 35k, they will go down in value and will be harder to sell and more expensive to maintain with higher miles. A clean 91-94 can be had for under $30k and probably won't go down much in value........

^The NSX for these reasons.^

I will throw my two pennies in regarding the coupe vs. NSX-T. I'm a convertible fan so I had always wanted a T. When I got the bug to buy an NSX I spent a little more and got a T for that reason. I fell in love with the car but a year went by and I decided to add a coupe for track use. I couldn't believe the difference when I first drove the coupe. It felt tighter, more nimble, and even lighter (and this car had double the miles of my targa). Needless to say, unless it's a beautiful day and I'm in need of a tan - I'll choose to drive the "track car" over the T. The fact that the coupes are less expensive (all things besides age being equal) is icing.
I think you should try to find an owner of both styles and drive each. I think your decision as to which car to go with (M3/Z06/etc) will be made the moment you sit in the NSX. :wink:

I truly value your opinions. I have pretty much scratched the M3 off the list considering its complexity and the cost of dealer repairs. I have 3 other vehicles so I might as well get the funnest one!

Have you driven all 3? I bet not or your decision would be made. Seriously, the NSX is PRECISE and engineered to a level the other 2 cars just are not. The shifter in the NSX is years ahead of the vet and light years ahead of the M3. Not to mention mid engine > front engine. Little things like how the doors shut will make you wonder why you even considered the other cars. The seats, NSX hands down! I can go on and on (except for the Bose stereo... nasty).

It is also fairly easy to lighten an NSX by 200+lbs for under a couple hundred dollars. This is what I have done and it makes the car significantly faster and handle better. With lightening, headers and exhaust you have a solid low 13's / high 12's (depending on how much lightening...) car that will last just as long as a stock Honda Civic.

Not True the ZO6 has a lot of options that the NSX dose not have, ie heads up display, independent climate control, good sound system, and the ZO6 dose not rattle or shake maybe the C5 targa but not the ZO6 sorry you are wrong on that! Fit and finish is on par with the NSX.

You must be joking?

First of all those options are not a convincing justification for buying a Z06 nor are they anything special. The NSX is a high performance sports car not an SL500. And if you think that the fit and finish of a C5 or even a C6 Z06 are on par with an NSX i'd like to have some of whatever you're on. I don't think anyone would agree with that. Not even a Corvette owner! I test drove many Z06's before I bought my NSX and drove my friends 02 Z06 for almost 2 weeks while he was on vacation. No, the stereo system is not that great, and HUD is not an option worth paying for. For less $$$ you could install a nav pod and put in HKS camp. Also the fit and finish was horrible. That's one of the main reasons I didn't buy a vette. The leather is cheap, parts rattle everywhere, etc.... The C5 and even the C6 interior is the worst interior in it's class. Other than that the Z06 is okay, but then lets start talking about all the mechanical problems......

Have you driven all 3?

Unfortunately I have not had the privilage of driving any of the any of the 3. :frown: For some reason the dealers won't let me test drive such cars. :confused: It's pretty hard to come across an NSX to test drive though...

The Z06 has lots of mechanical issues? I read the '01s had oil consumption problems and weaker shift forks, but I was looking into the '02+.

Unfortunately I have not had the privilage of driving any of the any of the 3. :frown: For some reason the dealers won't let me test drive such cars. :confused: It's pretty hard to come across an NSX to test drive though...

The Z06 has lots of mechanical issues? I read the '01s had oil consumption problems and weaker shift forks, but I was looking into the '02+.

Okay, what you really should do is spend some time searching the forums for people in these areas that would not mind taking you for a ride, or letting you drive the cars. I have driven all three of your choices, and owned two of them (NSX and ///M3) and can tell you that experience of your own is the only way to really decide what is best. Here is what I learned:

///M3 - One of the best balanced cars I have ever driven...when it was not in the shop. Too bad mine was always in the shop. Still, being a practical car that seats four comfortably and can do track days then go to the grocery store is rare, and I loved my ///M3 for that. Eventhough the quality was sketchy, the car was a huge amount of fun.

Z06 - WOOOOOWWWW!! Stump pulling power...if I owned this car I would be in jail and broke from smoking tires. The only thing that bugged me was the cheap quality interior.....but did I mention the power??

NSX - The only car of the three that I still own and drive every day. Good look, reliable....I just wish it had more power.

I ran out of warranty on my M3 a little while ago and had to pay for inspection 1 with valve adjustment which was a little over 800 or 900. 150 dollar oil changes, my door sill broke and they had to order like 2 small clip things to put it back on and it was 65 bucks. But all in all it has been pretty reliable so far. I have 48k miles on my 02, I bought it back in 03. But I am currently searching for an NA1 NSX, hopefully I will have one by summer.

Back